• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, January 10, 2021

    Simple Questions - January 10, 2021

    Simple Questions - January 10, 2021


    Simple Questions - January 10, 2021

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 04:00 AM PST

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a ≤$300 graphics card. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case ≤$50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    PC has given up and I'm close to giving up too.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 09:18 AM PST

    ***** Further Update *****

    So /u/Affectionate-Act1593 had said they had a simular issue where his clock would cause issues with the installation as it was a few 1000 years out of wack.

    He explained how he fixed it and following his steps along with lowering some voltages within the BIOS I managed to get past the frozen spinning balls.

    From there I was able to get into Windows connect to the Internet and set up the Internet enables time service so the time is matched and it retained the time in the BIOS.

    Thank you to the people of reddit for all their help, I can finally get back onto the PC.

    Hopefully it will remain stable once I have reinstalled all the updates and other bloatware Microsoft demands I use.

    **UPDATE**

    I have now managed to get Windows OS installed and to actually boot into it.

    I will shortly install each non essential part one at a time to ensure I know if there are any other issues.

    Thank you so far for all the help / tips and emotional support lol.

    Depending on how far I get I may not update for a few hours as it's 10PM where I am located and I need to try and get some sleep before work.


    So I was playing CSGO new years eve and my PC went to a black screen so I forced a reboot.

    Got back in then it BSODed twice and then refused to boot, so I assumed the OS had corrupted, no bother it's on its own drive.

    Trying to reinstall the OS it kept dropping my NVMe drives, so I thought one of those was playing up, bought a new one and installed it and when it rebooted it gets past the BIOS and crashes on the ASUS logo with the spinning dots on either motherboard, when I move the mouse I do get a cursor.

    I have replaced the following: CPU PSU Motherboard

    I have disconnected everything so it's just a single stick of RAM, CPU, Cooler, PSU a single NVMe drive and motherboard.

    I have installed the latest bios update, gone through each stick of RAM one at a time in each slot.

    Turned off fastboot and any BIOS related overclocking and still can't get any further.

    Please help I am almost at the point of giving up :(

    submitted by /u/PIXeL_92
    [link] [comments]

    New PC build for VR, can't play HL:A nicely

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 07:22 AM PST

    I have purchased a PC recently in order to play Half Life Alyx, here are the specs:

    • Ryzen 5 3600
    • B450 Mortar Max
    • 1x 16 Gb 3200 MHz
    • SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 5600 XT 6G
    • SSD WD 2.5" SATA 500Go 3D NAND

    And of course a VR headset, I picked the Oculus Rift S.

    Now with such a PC, I should be able to play HL:A at least in low settings, right? It stutters, it's not reactive, and it makes me vomitty because of the refreshing delays.

    I haven't played much with the Radeon Settings, I was expecting this PC to perform well enough without having to overclock the GPU or the VRAM. Nor have I spent much time in BIOS either - I only made sure the RAM was running at 3200 MHz.

    Have I missed anything? Or was I too optimistic with my build?

    submitted by /u/chloratine
    [link] [comments]

    We built our Second PC. This sub is not only great at helping but it helps feed my new addiction!

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 11:50 AM PST

    I built my Son a new PC for his Birthday I posted it Here.

    My younger Son and I have played my older Son's PC a few time and got a little jealous. So we decided to build a second PC. I actually built a slightly better PC with more future proofing as I went with AMD 5600 instead of the Intel 9700k that I had on the first PC. I did not realize that the MB we had would not support any newer generation CPU's. I ended up giving most of the new parts to my Older Son and we took his "used parts" to build our PC. I had him keep his AIO as I decided to go with a fan to cool the CPU instead. I was lucky living close to a microcenter to get two different ASUS 3070 cards as well I just had to spend some time on Discord and in line to make it happen. My case would not fit the STRIX so I ended up with the ASUS Dual OC. We are happy with both cards. I am adding some pictures in of the front of both builds and then then my wire management in my case but my Son would not let me get a pic of his wire management in the back of his PC as it was a bit messy. Now that I have my own PC with my younger son it's time to start tweaking it. Thanks for all the help and great conversations

    Pics of the builds and Wire Management

    My PC Parts

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TyRmQD

    and my Sons PC Parts

    [PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6ZLw8J)

    submitted by /u/petergarcia82
    [link] [comments]

    Finally finished building my first pc!

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 08:15 AM PST

    I was getting tired of having a massive midtower case taking up space on my desk so I decided it was time for an upgrade in specs and a downgrade in size. I watched tons of videos and guides on how to build a pc but installing everything in such a small case and trying to route all the tubes for the water cooling was a real challenge. It was super stressful but I love the end result! https://imgur.com/a/4s2nwP6

    Specs:

    3080 FE

    Asrock z490 - itx motherboard

    i9-10900k

    g-skill trident z royal 3200

    samsung 2tb m.2 nvme ssd

    corsair sf 750 power supply

    Ekwb fitting, tubing, radiators, pump, cpu block

    Corsair FE waterblock

    submitted by /u/MrFrumps
    [link] [comments]

    hi its me who asked the difference between 1050ti to 3060ti

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 07:50 AM PST

    i built my first pc today with a friend took 3hrs but i love my new pc i can't put images in this subreddit bit the specs:

    GPU: EVGA 3060ti 2 fan version (:
    CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

    RAM: Patriot (2x16GB) 3200MHZ

    SSD: m.2 Crucial p1 2TB of storage

    MOBO: ASUS Prime b450-A II

    CASE: Phanteks P400A

    PSU: Corsair CMX 750W bronze rating

    extra fans: Arctic p12 (x3)

    and i went for a RGB-less design (not putting the 3 front fans RGB on)

    submitted by /u/joseph_krakcowski
    [link] [comments]

    New budget rig ready to go. Had not built a PC since 2009 but it was not difficult, with some help from a member of this community with some mobo mounting.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 07:07 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/ocXHokV

    R5 3600 XT and 1660Ti. Now lemme play the Resident Evil remakes and Tomb Raider!

    submitted by /u/ParsleyAmazing3260
    [link] [comments]

    Newly built PC not booting up, no fans, only MB LED light on

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 01:42 PM PST

    Desperately Needing some advices here. I am trying to put together a pc with the following configuration but was not able to boot up at all.

    Asrock x399 taichi mb
    Threadripper 2950x
    128gb (32x4) Corsair vengeance RGB pro DDR4 3200 (PC 4-25600) C16 (I? not planning to oc)
    EVGA supernova 1300w G2 PSU (I got 1300w because I planned to add 2 gpu)
    Gtx 1080 ti
    Samsung 970 EVO 1tb
    Barracuda had 2gb
    Be quiet dark rock pro tr4 cooling fan
    Lancool II case

    When I first turned on the power on PSU after putting it all together, none of the cpu/case fans ran, neither did the psu fan, only the blue LED behind the asrock gear lit solid (no flashing). Nothing changed whether I pressed the power button on mb or on the front panel. And dr. debug is not lit at all so there is no debug info. To troubleshoot, I first verified that the PSU is functioning correctly by plugging the 24pin mb power, and 8 pin atx/cpu power into a PSU tester (note that I did plug in both 8 pin and 4 pin to mb when I tried to boot up. But the tester only takes one 8 pin). It appeared to produce the right voltage. Furthermore, the psu fan turned, which I did not observe when connecting to mb and powered on. Then I decided to take out the mb from the case and remove one component at a time, including removing ram, cpu, the situation remained the same. I have also tried to swap out the Corsair ram and put in with another two sticks of gskill ripjaws v 8gb, 3000. Then tested it along with just cpu, no luck. Tried to reseat the cpu, same thing. Also note that the psu fan did not run at all.

    A picture is provided here shows what it looks like Picture of MB with only LED on

    I have to admit that the last time I put together a pc myself was ten years ago so I hope I didn? miss anything obvious here. In this bare minimum testing, what should I observe in terms of psu fan, dr debug, etc.? Also, I did press the power switch on mb, nothing changed. Anything else I need to do? Btw, I also tried the cmos switch, and take out and put back the cmos battery. I saw some discussion about bios update, but not sure if it? relevant at this point.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Curious-Mind-00
    [link] [comments]

    My computer is being slow. Pictures sometimes take 20 seconds to load through the Microsoft Photos App, and clicking things in the taskbar like File Explorer doesn't glow when hovering over it and won't open. OS is on my M.2

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 11:01 AM PST

    edit: It doesn't always freeze, and take 20 sec to load a picutures; Pictures sometimes load instantly.

    Also my whole PC freezes on the desktop, and after a minute the screen refreshes and that stops just to come back another day to freeze again. plz help me

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

    GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 570 4GB

    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H

    PSU: CORSAIR TX-M Series TX650M

    Storage: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe, WD Blue 1TB HDD

    submitted by /u/SealedDisc
    [link] [comments]

    Best case among 100-150 dollars?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 12:27 PM PST

    Maybe with 5,25 bay (i'm a eternal romatic)and space trough a long graphic card and a AIO cooler fronted mount?

    I like Corsair 110R but maybe airflow and cable management is not excellent?

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/oliosutela
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best GPU I can buy right now with $170?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 09:09 AM PST

    PC Build - Good or Bad?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 11:44 AM PST

    submitted by /u/lemthelegend2727
    [link] [comments]

    Help me pick a 1440p monitor

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 04:14 PM PST

    So have been gaming on a 1080p monitor for the last 12 years. With my AMD 6800 and my impending 5600x upgrade, this may be the perfect time for me to upgrade my monitor.

    My current two choices are:

    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MONAOC62705/AOC-Q27G2S-27-QHD-Frameless-IPS-Gaming-Monitor--25?fbclid=IwAR235-gRqkqlqgXdJPm7l0rpBV2vucbjS1oK4yEz_Sav3AFfS85o4PzGXcQ

    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MONTTA2762/Titan-Army-N27QW-27-Curved-QHD-Gaming-Monitor--256

    Both of these choices look compelling purely from the numbers side of things. But am I missing some other consideration? Why is one worht $90 more than the other?

    submitted by /u/Damoksta
    [link] [comments]

    Ryzen 5 5600x or Ryzen 5 3600?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 04:10 PM PST

    I'm building my first pc and I'm debating between the 5600x and 3600. I mostly play FPS games and battle royales with some occasional GTA. In Canada the difference between the two is only about $100 which I'm fine with since I don't plan on upgrading for a while but I'll have to wait for the 5600x stock whereas the 3600 is in stock. Is the 5600x worth it? FYI I'm pairing it with a 3060ti and Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz 16 gb CL 16 ram.

    submitted by /u/TedBundCheeks
    [link] [comments]

    Some graphics card advice?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 01:16 PM PST

    Hi, I've been looking at the GeForce rtx 2060, but I've recently heard that the ray tracing sucks. So would the 1660ti/super be a better choice, if so why? What kind of graphics card would you recommend for my build? Warning, the money is in Swedish currency (sek)

    CPU Amd ryzen 5 5600 - 3290kr (Comes with cooler, 6-core, 12-thread)

    GPU Gigabyte Geforce rtx 2060 oc 6g rev - 2.0 3599kr

    Motherboard Asus rog strix B550-f - 2089kr

    RAM Corsair vengeance LPX black - 890kr (DDR4, 16gb, 3600Mhz)

    Storage Kingston A2000 - 749kr (M.2 ssd, 500gb, nand 3d, nvme)

    PSU Corsair RM650 - 1079kr (Fully modular, 80 plus gold, 650w)

    CASE Phanteks P400A Eclipse - 990kr (Glass sidepanel, 3x RGB fans with airfilters, 2x usb 3.0)

    WIFI ADAPTER Netgear A6210 - 469kr (Usb 3.0 adapter)

    13 155kr

    submitted by /u/Olivernr
    [link] [comments]

    M.2 boot drive intermittently not detected

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 02:17 PM PST

    I recently finished up a new build and have run into an odd issue where I sometimes have problems turning my desktop on. Most times, Windows loads up as usual. But other times (if I had to hazard a guess, 20% of the time) I'm sent to the BIOS instead and have noticed during these instances that the list of boot devices is empty.

    Restarting fixes the problem and everything boots normally (there was maybe one time I needed to reset twice). I have not encountered any issues that would suggest drive problems or any other instability once the PC is up and running. In terms of troubleshooting so far, reseating the drive in the mobo did not help. I also swapped PSUs during this build for cosmetic reasons, nothing wrong with the old one, and the problem remained throughout so I feel like that could also be ruled out.

    Anything else I should be trying out to fix the issue? It's mildly annoying at worst right now but I'm worried by the thought that there's an underlying problem that'll culminate in me frying my drive (or even the whole PC!) turning it on one day.

    Specs just in case:

    • Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4
    • SSD: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
    • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
    • PSU: Corsair RM750x
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB VENTUS 3X OC

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/bluesharpies
    [link] [comments]

    Is PC Building dead/paused?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 03:28 PM PST

    With all the Bitcoin miners and scalpers creating a "no GPU for you" environment, how are you building new PCs unless you are using older parts.

    Super frustrated that also GPU companies are not helping the situation either.

    submitted by /u/inomad360
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first build! Now have some troubleshooting questions

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 06:41 AM PST

    So I managed to actually do it. With minimal mistakes. Sure the cabling is horrid and the case may have a hole or 2 in it, but it works.

    I am however having some odd issues that I can't seem to rectify. When I shut the computer down, it takes like 5 minutes to shut down. Turning it on takes 10 seconds and there seems to be no issue with restarting as that happens quickly. It is only when shutting down.

    On top of this, I seem to be getting an error when shutting down about gvrbackground window 3 still running in background and was wondering if this was a separate issue or part of the above.

    Any help would be amazing!

    submitted by /u/Demonboarder
    [link] [comments]

    I’m starting to feel completely priced out of pc gaming

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 09:33 PM PST

    I'm an American, by the way. I understand this has already been true on a global scale.

    What happened to PC gaming being the cheapest option?

    The new consoles are now as powerful as my current pc, an RTX 2070 and 3700x, after only built for a little more than a year. Because they're manufactured by multi billion dollar companies with exclusive platforms, consoles can just charge 500 for what's otherwise 1000+ in pc hardware. It's ridiculous.

    Edit: the business model of consoles allows them to charge 500 at a loss, if that wasn't already clear.

    Account for the added performance of console optimization and my pc will be baseline for modern games within 2 years. 30fps at high settings is what I fear most.

    I'm looking at these new tariffs and every new Nvidia graphics card is over 500 dollars, every user's flairs are gtx 1080's or above. "Oh, guess I'll stick with my gtx 1080ti" I hear.

    What is going on? Are gaming pc's relegated to expensive toys? I remember mid ranged pc's being dominant in 2016-2017, over 20% of gaming pc's had a gtx 1060, but now all of a sudden the high end market is the only focus of the internet.

    It's deemed acceptable for RTX 3070's to be the baseline for playing games like Cyberpunk. People are buying RTX cards for $650+ dollars on Ebay, the bang for your buck "500 dollar gaming pc" is dead.

    Even more apparent is the fact that all of this is happening in one of the biggest human economic disasters in decades.

    Are video games on pc a joke? I refuse to use a console for a variety of reasons but pc gaming doesn't seem sustainable, prices have only gotten more rough each generation.

    The only sustainable path is using used hardware but I've never encountered a gpu without dropping frames or blue screens at one point in their lives.

    I'm really sad to see this space go, pc building has been one of my most favorite hobbies, I've gotten so many friends to switch from consoles over the years.

    But it seems this space won't run parallel to consoles ever again, just as something that richer people get to enjoy as a more expensive option.

    Here's hoping things are better in the middle of the console generation, but Nvidia and AMD's stock always has to go up, so we'll see.

    What do you think of this? Am I over reacting to a temporary downward shift or are we really seeing the end times?

    TL;DR: I've noticed a larger swing towards high end systems in the pc building space without proper attention to the mid range market. On top of that, said computer parts are only getting more expensive against increasingly more competitive console options. It's not better performance for the money, it's just more money and better performance.

    EDIT: Thank you for everyone that's partaken in the discussion so far, many of you have raised some great points. I know not everyone will agree with me (which is fine), and I think this topic has a lot of ground to cover so it's been interesting to go through it.

    EDIT 2: I've gotten the "100 upvote notification" multiple times so I know this is controversial lol. I'm reading all of your responses but I can't get around to responding to all of them.

    EDIT 3: I should make myself absolutely clear here, I am not saying what I have now is obsolete, it's just that once games start optimizing for the consoles in the future they will become much harder to run on any pc. It's only due to extraordinary circumstances that I have the hardware I do now, and I'm extremely fortunate for my current situation. If you're going to come into the comment section to lash out at me, save the breath.

    submitted by /u/Thucket
    [link] [comments]

    My monitor won’t display.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 01:41 PM PST

    Just built my first pc and when I turn on my monitor it has the company logo, says no signal then goes black. The gpu is AMD ryzen 2600, gpu 1050 ti, motherboard AORUS pro wifi B450

    submitted by /u/King-Bananana
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve given up

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 12:24 PM PST

    I've given up on trying to build a brand new pc with a 3080 or 3070. So I've started searching for pre-builts on ibuypower.com. I came across one for ~$2000 with these specs: - be quiet! Pure base 500 tempered glass gaming case - i9- 10900k - 240 mm castle 240ex liquid cooler - 16 GB DDR4 3200Mhz - 3070 - Gigabyte Z490 Aorus elite motherboard - 800 watt high power 80 plus gold - 500 GB M.2 SSD The specs seem really good for the price, considering it's a pre-built. Wondered what ya'll think? Would you snag this?

    (Sorry for any mistakes, I'm on mobile)

    submitted by /u/iHentie
    [link] [comments]

    First Build

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 09:08 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/rTIwAsB

    Been playing on a gaming laptop for years now and I finally saddled up and bought parts for pc and I'm in love. Luckily the wife is out of town so I've been playing non stop after work.

    -Cpu:Ryzen 9 3900xt

    -Gpu:Asus Rog Strix 3060ti

    -Ram:Corsair dominator platinum 32gb

    -Motherboard:Asus x570-e

    -AIO:MSI core liquid 360mm

    -Case:Asus tuf gt501

    -Nvme:Samsung 970 EVO plus 250gb Sams using 970 EVO 1tb

    -SATA:Samsung 860 EVO 250gb Samsung 860 EVO 1tb

    submitted by /u/MR-SWEETTEA
    [link] [comments]

    x570 Aorus Ultra Dram LED no display output

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 11:13 AM PST

    Hi,

    I bought and installed a x570 Aorus Ultra this afternoon to replace my x370 and I have been unable to get a display output. I've tried display port off the graphics card and HDMI cable from the Motherboard. The only thing i've change in my build is the motherboard. I'm at a loss at this point and not sure what to do fix this.

    System Specs:

    X570 Aorus Ultra - fresh out of the box

    Ryzen 7 1700x (being replaced with a Ryzen 9 5950x on Tuesday)

    Trident Z 32gb (4x8 F4-3200C14D-16gtz, DDR4-3200 CL14-14-14-34)

    MSI GTX 1080

    I've triple checked all the connected components and everything is snugly seated, but I'm still getting a DRAM error light. I've tried every single ram card individually in every single slot and it wont work with any of them. And all 4 were seated and working 1 hour before i installed the x570. I've also tried clearing CMOS, via jump and battery removal 5 minutes each, and tried Qflashing the BIOS and haven't had any luck with either. Doesn't seem like Qflash is happening even though I've followed the instructions on gigabytes page.

    Q-flash process

    1. Powered down, PSU switch turned off.
    2. Removed power cable
    3. Removed CPU, RAM & GPU
    4. Downloaded BIOS from the Gigabyte website and renamed to GIGABYTE.BIN
    5. Formatted a USB drive FAT32, (made sure it's empty)
    6. Put GIGABYTE.BIN on the USB drive
    7. Put the USB drive in the white USB port
    8. Put the power cable back in, switched the PSU back on
    9. Pressed the Q-flash button on the motherboard

    Any adivce would be greatly appreciated! I specifically bought this Mobo for the Ryzen 9 5950X and it's currently useless to me.

    submitted by /u/BenderB-Rodriguez
    [link] [comments]

    1650s 580 or 1070 in 2021?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 02:56 PM PST

    Which one should I buy in the 160-200 price range

    submitted by /u/AntiSocialDj
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel