• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, August 7, 2019

    Home Networking People with self installed Home Security Camera systems, How Much Did You Spend, On What, and how happy are you with your choice after "X" Months of Ownership? Also, any funny / interesting / scary stories of things caught on camera?

    Home Networking People with self installed Home Security Camera systems, How Much Did You Spend, On What, and how happy are you with your choice after "X" Months of Ownership? Also, any funny / interesting / scary stories of things caught on camera?


    People with self installed Home Security Camera systems, How Much Did You Spend, On What, and how happy are you with your choice after "X" Months of Ownership? Also, any funny / interesting / scary stories of things caught on camera?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 02:25 AM PDT

    Looking to learn more about the practicality of Home cameras. I would appreciate hearing some installation stories, the costs, and if you feel it was worth it. I think others considering cameras would be very interested too. Are they nice toys, or are they must haves, IYHO?

    I've used some commercial home security systems, and after a few months, did not think it was worth the money. And the last time I looked into cameras, I still felt the picture resolution at night was not very good. This was 2-3 years ago.

    It'd also be very interesting to hear what you can get at different price points. Include storage and necessary network upgrades on your overall costs, if you are willing to say.

    Consider this a brag thread too. I know lots of lurkers here have to be proud of their setups. Let's hear it.

    (Or we can all go back to reading the exciting threads of what the best modem is for under $70.)

    submitted by /u/mcribgaming
    [link] [comments]

    I know nothing about home networking but need to purchase a modem and router for WOW's 100mbps Internet. Will these work?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    They said the equipment has to be "DOCSIS 3.0" and their website offers this chart. It says 4x4 channels but the modem is 16x4. I don't know what that means. I assume it just means I won't be using the router to the fullest potential but ultimately it shouldn't matter?

    I play zero games. My wife and I stream some TV, maybe some music, and we use our phones. That's it.

    Modem: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Modem-Download-Certified-Communications/dp/B01CVOLKKQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=DOCSIS%2B3.0%2Bwith%2Btp-link&qid=1565206925&s=electronics&sr=1-1&th=1

    Router: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wireless+router+tp-link&qid=1565207151&s=electronics&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=1-3

    Will these work? If not can anyone just suggest something that will in roughly that price range? Give or take $50?

    Thanks in advance guys

    submitted by /u/ellenbrook
    [link] [comments]

    A real lot of I don’t know what I don’t know!!!

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 05:25 PM PDT

    Hi all, I'm in Brisbane, Australia and I'm about to get the NBN connected (it's meant to be our version of high speed internet- ha ha ha) so I'm in The process of researching mesh Networks but I think I have that covered. In researching mesh it's made me curious as to what i currently have and how that's possibly caused me wireless pain over the last few years. I have speeds that come into my house that can range from upward of 100mps to pretty much dribbling of speeds of 2mps.. consistency yeah!! I have an apple airport time capsule 802.11ac that is my main router and then an airport express 802.11n in another area..... from researching mesh they talk about ac2200 and ac3000 and I think that's to do with the amount of data (I think that's the right word) that can be shared from the one satellite... so how do I find the equivalent details or my airport so as to ascertain if that what has been causing my internet wireless problems?? My logic is if I can understand what my problems have been before I change to NBN and then introduce a mesh Network I maybe able to improve moving forward.... make sense? When I go mesh will that make my Apple airports usless and unusable or can they be incorporated somehow?

    submitted by /u/pl0pp3r
    [link] [comments]

    What exactly is a signal refresh?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 04:36 PM PDT

    So I'm having this weird issue with spectrum where my modem start dropping like 5% packets. This is not enough to really show up if I you have a single ping -t going, but if I get 4 of them going at the same time I can see them getting dropped every now and then.

    This is a huge problem because I'm usually playing a game and using discord voice chat. In game this will cause me to rubberband every once in a while and also distort discord voice chat for a split second, enough to make me ask someone to repeat themselves.

    What's weird is that power-cycling the modem doesn't help. But the two times that I called spectrum they did a "signal refresh" and it fixes the issue for the night (but it comes back the next day when I get off work). They said it's different than just power-cycling your modem. Neither tech was able to explain to me exactly what this is doing, so I am wondering if anyone knows. They also said I can do this if I get the phone app or something.

    submitted by /u/KeenKrozzy
    [link] [comments]

    Which software I can use to draw such diagram

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 07:35 PM PDT

    packet loss across the board, whats causing this?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 06:50 PM PDT

    Internet connection went down yesterday. Once back online today, I had a large (3.7gb) Xbox update to install when I power on. Are these two things related?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Yesterday I came home and my internet wasn't. This happens from time to time and I've learned to just wait it out because there isn't anything I can do (that I know of) to fix it. When I came back home today, internet was back up, and I had a big Xbox update to install right away. I feel like this specific situation has happened before, but I'm wondering if these two things are related.

    Is it possible for a big file push, like a 3.7 GB Xbox update, to knock my internet out? Is it the same idea as a DDoS attack?

    submitted by /u/BigR0n75
    [link] [comments]

    Best wireless router on the cheap for MUDBRICK/Adobe houses

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    Hey guys I commonly have to deal with either concrete building or Adobe/mudbrick based houses to where walls can be 2-2.5 feet wide. I need to figure out what routers are worth it for such buildings. I'm down to do some trail and error. I'm going to assume 5ghz isn't going to be doable for the most part so I'm okay with 2.4 only routers. I'm not sure if 20/40mhz matters in this environment

    submitted by /u/bleke_xyz
    [link] [comments]

    Wired Internet-Edge Router Advice

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 06:16 PM PDT

    Currently I have symmetrical Gigabit FTTH internet, handed-off from single-mode fiber to copper (Ethernet) on the wall; with CAT-7 Ethernet run, from the demarc-point, into an ASUS ROG Rapture AC5300. With that device handling all traffic and routing to the various devices. Due to the high-density of devices on my network (wired and wireless) and I am in need of splitting the network into multiple segments for ease of management and security. One segment being IoT, another home-lab related stuff and the final one being general everyday things (laptops, etc).

    To do this, I was thinking of getting either a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-4 or EdgeRouter-6P as they have the features I am looking for at a price that isn't "sell-a-kidney" high (looking at you Cisco). However, before I take the plunge and buy one, I need to know if they can handle the high WAN speeds without a performance hit to the L3 routing or CPU. Obviously, if I were to enable DPI, IPS, QOS, etc. the throughput will be much, much lower. However, since the network segments' security will be handled by different gateway devices on each (A FortiGate, SonicWall, CheckPoint and an F5) I don't need to have those features enabled at the edge. However, I do need a device with a good set of tools built-in for monitoring up/downlink stats and the like (or the ability to homebrew my own tools and use with it).

    In all my research, I know that the Ubiquiti ER-4/6P/8 are more powerful than their ER-Pro counterparts. However, what I can't find is any good information on their performance, other than 4/6/8Gbps line speed and 3.4m pps handling capability and differing packet routing sizes. Additionally, all I have seen on forums is very unhelpful, as no one seems to agree on anything. I should also note that all data lines from the edge will be run at full-duplex speeds.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    PS: All the equipment I have, my old employer gave me free, so I am not looking to buy service contracts or devices from Cisco, CheckPoint, Dell, etc. Obviously as this is a home-network, I don't have an enterprise-level budget.

    submitted by /u/SirTech
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a user on a windows 10 FTP Server

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 12:05 PM PDT

    I'm working on a simple FTP server based on Windows 10. After managing to set the server based on

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-ftp-server-windows-10

    After allowing the firewall to allow FTP traffic the guide say I should be able to start sending and receiving files.

    When I go to file explorer and enter FTP://(ip address) it asks for user and password, but I haven't even set any yet so how would I access it?

    Sorry I am very new to this.

    submitted by /u/NightMNKY
    [link] [comments]

    I need a signal booster and online reviews are crazytown

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    My child will be taking online classes and our wifi is spotty at home. I want to get a wifi signal extender, but the reviews are really all over the place. "This is best thing to ever happen to me!" Right next to "This is the worst thing I have ever purchased!"

    Our home is 2400 sqft, 1200 up and 1200 down. Our current wifi router is downstairs. The wifi works fine there, but upstairs it can randomly kick you off or be slow to the point of videos not playing and even ads not loading.

    What is a decent, affordable wifi booster that will work for our needs?

    submitted by /u/EvaEvaBoBeva
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with AT&T Uverse in Memphis TN.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 05:51 PM PDT

    So, I made the mistake of switching to AT&T and it's been pretty bad. I live in a duplex, pretty small and the walls are plaster (tech said that matters). They decided to put the modem in the front of the house, and it works great up their. In the back, where the computers are, it's just horrible, little to no internet. The tech said it would help if I wanted to set up a mesh network, he advised getting Netgear Orbi base and setting one the extender about 20 feet away in the kitchen right out the hallway. I looked it up ,and it's pretty pricey. What I was thinking was to route a cable, outside the wall, to a router I buy to the same spot, and use a cheap wifi extender near the back room if needed. This will be about 20 ft down a hall to to a room that's about 12x12. It's really not a big house, but I think the issue is that the signal has to go through 4 plaster walls, about 40 ft to reach the computers at a 2.4 signal. I'm looking at doing this with the TP-Link AC1900 Smart Wireless Router, but if you suggest using something else, my budget is 100 bucks.

    The ATT Modum is the ATT U-verse NVG589.

    Also, renting so dont really want to run any cables through the wall.

    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1900-Smart-Wireless-Router/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?keywords=routers&qid=1565220834&s=gateway&sr=8-15&th=1&psc=1

    submitted by /u/norapeformethankyou
    [link] [comments]

    Anything besides mesh to increase wifi range with same speed?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 01:48 PM PDT

    From what I've read, the downside of wifi repeaters and extenders is that for the increased range, the speed will be cut. I've heard that mesh will does not have the speed drop, but are there any other devices that will increase range and maintain the same speed (or at least minimally reduce it)? Hoping for something that would cost like under $100. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lfjthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    High latency and overall internet issues

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 04:22 PM PDT

    I have been experiencing a problem with high latency while playing video games. I am averaging 60 ping, which is terrible for the game I am playing. I use and Ethernet cable so I don't understand why my ping should be anywhere near 60. I play on a pc. And all of my friends who live near me get better ping. Please help. I am frustrated and have not been able to find a solution anywhere.

    submitted by /u/CashMoneyBucks
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting a guest house to the main house network suggestions

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 03:34 PM PDT

    As the title says I'm needing suggestions for connecting a guest house to the network in the main house.

    We currently have an access point in the front window of the guest house, with the router being in a back window of the main house, so they're about 60 feet away from each other with no major obstructions with a direct line of site.

    The issue I'm having with it currently is that I get inconsistent connections, and a horrible drop in speed over the access point. I know that running an access point typically halves the up/down speed, but with my speed tests I ran last night I was getting about a 20th of the speed. (About 20 down inside, around 1, if not less, in the guest house)

    I know that ideally installing a hardwired cable would be the way to go about it, but I'm renting and am not sure if they'll let me drill holes through the walls and stuff to do that. And that also limits me from running a wireless bridge outdoors because I'd also have to run a cable outside for that.

    So my question is what do people suggest? The access point I'm currently using was a cheaper one from around 5/6 years ago, so are there newer access points that should be able to run that distance solidly? Are there bridges I can run through windows?

    Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cococatlord
    [link] [comments]

    Need to measure latency to each hop in between A and Z node over a couple hours

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 03:17 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm not sure if this is more of an /r/networking question but I figured I'd start here.

    I think my ISP is having intermittent lag spikes somewhere in their network when using the regular internet. Just running a regular ping over a couple hours, I noticed I typically get 9-15ms response times to google.com, but every once in a while it jumps to 20-30ms for anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. I initially started looking into this because I noticed

    Is there a program that runs a traceroute to gather all node IPs between A & Z, then measure's latency to each individual node in the chain for a couple hours? (i'd say 4 or 5 times a second would be good enough)?

    A coworker told me to use iperf, but from what I can gather that requires having owner ship on both the A and Z ends to test across the network. Its there a way to just test latency to specified nodes in a path? Or maybe there's a different program I should be using?

    This seems like a common enough use case so I assume someone has written something to do something similar before.

    PS: prefer a tool availablce on linux, but can do windows as well.

    submitted by /u/bitwaba
    [link] [comments]

    I'm so tired of awful spotty wifi - I need advice!

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 11:17 AM PDT

    I have been using an edge routerX with a ubiquit AP AC LR for my home networking (modem from ISP (it's free with my service)).

    I have ran into issues with the ubiquiti stuff countless times. from spotty wifi, to losing connection and having to re adopt it. I'm sure that my issues are mostly if not all user error.

    anyways, I have bought and returned two routers that didn't help since then. spotty wifi was the same problem. So this led me to believe it wasn't my AP, but something else. Either way, I always went back to the AP.

    Well fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, in the evening of my netflix watching time, the AP just shat the bed. It stopped broadcasting and I tried to go re adopt it and it kept failing. I got so annoyed at this point that I took it all down and asked Spectrum to turn on the wifi for their modem. So now I pay $5 a month for their wifi because I'm tired of dealing with it.

    But in the last few days, the wifi has been worse than ever.

    Can someone please point me in the direction of a simple, yet good option for a stable connection that I don't have to constantly monitor and worry about. I swear I am starting to lose my hair :(

    TL;DR another post about a good router?

    submitted by /u/smileforkirk
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone with a Linksys WRT3200ACM? how is it holding up and are your LEDs burnt out?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 02:57 PM PDT

    Just purchased this new router for my new att fiber 1gb. Speeds over wifi have been nice but been reading on forums and reviews about led dimming burning out over time. Anyone here still use this router? How have your leds held up over year(s)? Are newer ones in 2019 fixed of this? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Speed009
    [link] [comments]

    What do i need to know to make a long (outdoor) fiber cable?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    I want to connect two unifi switches between buildings with fiber, the cable will be sitting above ground behind/under some buildings and aerial for about 25 feet (crossing a road that i cant dig up)

    What products do i need to protect this cable for this ~1000ft/~300m trip?

    What type of fiber cable do i need?

    If i need to make a connection (to extend the cable) outdoors whats the best way to do that? (Besides home Depot pvc outdoor electrical box to seal the connection)

    Can i send cat5 and fiber through same conduit? (Only part of it..)

    What type of connection heads do i need to connect to unifi SFP ports? Unifi 24 port and 8 port switches

    Is it legal to go through a (rain water) drain pipe? What conduit will protect from that? If its legal and safe for the cable, its a much easier and shorter route.. (the pipe is just to cross a road and connects to a french drain system on the other side.. (there is an opening right on the other side of the road that i can dig out from...)

    Is there any other details i am missing or tips you can give me please??

    .
    I only have experience with cat5 (aerial as well)

    submitted by /u/RawSlugs
    [link] [comments]

    How do network switches and access points assign IP addresses?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 02:31 PM PDT

    Ok so I am trying to find how something works and I am not very sure what to look for....I am sorry if this isn't the place to post this.

    The reason I am asking this is because I have setup an access point in my house which instead of assigning 192.168.x.x IP addresses to my devices it creates another network with 10.0.0.1 the default gateway. Devices connected to this access point have access to the other devices.

    Is it possible to change this...?

    The reason I am also mentioning network switches is because they usually assign IPs in the same scope (class?).

    submitted by /u/Slight_Insurance
    [link] [comments]

    need help with what i should do

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 02:20 PM PDT

    just gonna say I barely know anything about internet works, and I definitely should learn, and want to, but I need some advice. My plan for the internet includes 120mbps down (Cogeco in Canada), and I have no idea what for upload. My parents set it up years ago, but I started competitively gaming recently, and noticed that we get 50mbps for download, our 2.4ghz is extremely slow, and our 5ghz just started getting spotty. I have tried switching channels for the 2.4, but nothing worked. Our router is a Linksys WRT1900 (bought in 2015/16), and our modem is an Arris TG3452a (supplied by Cogeco for free in 2016). I can't get a wired connection, as our router is on the main level of our house and I'm a whole level up. I've tried the outlet ethernet thing ( TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT AV2000), but that did not work either. My theory is that the modem is bottlenecking our internet, but I really have no idea if it is a good one or not. Can I get some advice on what I should do/buy?

    submitted by /u/commesx
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best configuration for MOCA/splitters?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, recently I had another post on this subreddit where i learned about MOCA and was able to add one for my computer to get some really consistent and strong connections while gaming. Naturally, after seeing its strength, 2 of my roomates decided they wanted one too. We had to get another splitter in order to support this. We got a 4way splitter from home depot that is made by "Ideal" and supports 5Mhz-2.4Ghz. Will this be an ok splitter for 3 people on MOCA devices? Ive heard talks about amplifiers/filters etc but i am unfamiliar with them. Will i need them? I think my cable box had some filters in them from the previous owners. If I should get them, how/where would i put them in terms of their location ? Any help would be greatly appreciates! I am kinda hoping i can just plug everything up and be all set but i want rhe connection to be as strong as possible.

    submitted by /u/DrakeSwift
    [link] [comments]

    Using a PC to intercept network traffic from local router.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 01:59 PM PDT

    Some background: I play a game called FFXIV on PS4, on PC there is a DPS tracker that involves reading network traffic, parsing it for numbers and recording it.

    So this got me thinking that I could actually get this overlay to track my numbers on PS4, I just need to 1) send a copy of the network data to my computer, or 2) have my PC intercept the data and send it off to my PS4 and vise versa.

    I program for a living, but when it comes to networking, I'm not too confident, are these possible to do with a router and PC and if so would anyone be willing to point me at material or help me figure out how to do it?

    submitted by /u/ProdoxGT
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me identify if this is indeed a coax cable?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/NujkpJ2/

    Hi guys. I'm trying to set up a MoCa adapter from my basement into my room (on the 2nd floor) so I can get better internet. Is the cable in my room sufficient? Will I be able to hook up the adapter and get improved internet speeds with this?

    submitted by /u/tidusblitzace
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative Router and Modem for Cox.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 01:01 PM PDT

    Ok I have read that the cox panoramic router/modem is a bad option and usually have slower speeds. So which modem and router would you all suggest? I will be getting the gig blast with Cox and I also want to keep my house phone line for faxing purposes. If I get my own router and modem will I be able to keep my same wifi and phone package which includes 2 bands (2.4 and 5) and my phone line. The home is around 4000sqft and two floors. Please link equipment via amazon if possible.

    submitted by /u/KhrisGotSKillz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel