• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, April 4, 2022

    Home Networking i'm certain this isn't the proper way to run a lan wire through a wall. what would i need to buy to actually secure the plate?

    Home Networking i'm certain this isn't the proper way to run a lan wire through a wall. what would i need to buy to actually secure the plate?


    i'm certain this isn't the proper way to run a lan wire through a wall. what would i need to buy to actually secure the plate?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 11:03 AM PDT

    They keep preaching that mesh has better roaming than AP's - WHY?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 02:16 AM PDT

    Hi!

    People at work worship MESH as the lord and savior of Wi-Fi-networks and they can't explain why, apart from the simple user-experience on setup and expanding which I fully understand.

    But WHY do they keep saying that mesh has "better" roaming than forexample enterprise-AP with the same SSID's? Is it because the mesh has a controller that has roaming-settings predefined that works out better for residential consumers?

    They even use this roaming-point as an argument to put wired mesh-endpoints in smaller businesses instead of zyxel, omadas, UniFi AP, meraki or what-not.

    This has been bugging me since this mesh-"wave" started, can someone ELI5 this exact point?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/KukkenTor
    [link] [comments]

    What is the point of cheap 802.11 ac routers with 10/100 "Fast Ethernet" ports?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 03:02 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm aware that this may have been discussed before but feel the need to bring it up again.

    I've looked online at various different internet routers and am amazed that some of the more budget routers still have 10/100 ports on them, instead of Gigabit Ethernet. We are in 2022 and many internet connections are using either fiber to the premises, or hybrid coax/cable - and therefore can easily surpass 100Mbps.

    For example, the cheapest AC router in Argos (UK store), the TP-Link Archer C50, is completely inadequate for use in 2022 due to the 10/100 ports, despite the 802.11ac "1200Mbps" claims.

    I've even seen reviews of an older Netgear router (the R6100) and they all state the same thing: there's not really any point in having 802.11ac when the maximum throughput is limited to 100Mbps via the built in (and non-upgradeable) Ethernet ports.

    The only scenario that I can think of where one of these gotcha-routers is if you're using it exclusively as a wireless repeater - but not all of them have this functionality. Even if you're using a router as an additional access point (to extend the wi-fi range), and don't use the device for any LAN connected devices, you're still going to be bottlenecked because the WAN port is restricted too.

    Therefore, I have no idea why 10/100 routers are still a thing nowadays. There's not going to be many people using routers exclusively as wireless repeaters, and there's not many people who will transfer files exclusively between two wireless devices (as hardwired PCs will be limited by the ports). I believe that these routers are manufactured e-waste, as they are useless the moment you take them out of the box.

    submitted by /u/Paracosm24
    [link] [comments]

    Help deciding on network solution for one-bedroom network

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 05:26 AM PDT

    I would like to set up my own network with wi-fi in my bedroom which is separate from the network in the rest of the house. I would also like to have multiple (at least 3) Ethernet ports to connect devices to this network.

    My main question is: If I currently have ethernet into my bedroom via a powerline adapter all I need is a router with wi-fi, correct? I can then connect my devices to my little network via wi-fi or ethernet?

    submitted by /u/boofheadfred
    [link] [comments]

    Awful Powerline speeds but no easy solution...

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 05:15 AM PDT

    Hi, I've recently moved into the attic room in an old terraced house. I have set up my PC with a powerline adaptor from the router on the ground floor but am getting painfully slow speeds. I've googled to see if I can find solutions but a lot of the quick fixes are proving tricky;

    There are so few sockets in the house at all that I have no choice but to run the adaptor on an extension cable, with my PC and monitors on the same extensions cable, so probably a lot of noise that is unavoidable. There is only one coax socket in the house, in the living room with the router, so I can't use a moca adaptor solution for the attic room.

    I'm no expert on electrical wiring at all but it does 'feel' very old; very few sockets in the house, many rooms with just 2 separate single sockets. I'm just kind of wondering what are my options in the way of a solution, and of those options what is my landlord most likely to agree to...

    All I can really think of is some pretty intrusive editing; new sockets in the attic room or a new ethernet port in/near the attic room, or even adding a coax port upstairs? If anyone has any insight that'd be super helpful

    submitted by /u/coware23
    [link] [comments]

    Connecting to power bank

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 05:12 AM PDT

    I'm not sure if this is the place for this question? I have an Xfinity router, and I was looking for a way to power it in a black out. I'm not sure of an adapter for the plug, and then if my power bank can and safely do it. The power bank is a 20000 mah. I have it for my laptop. Thanks

    submitted by /u/FairPlay-Mtg
    [link] [comments]

    keen to learn

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 04:46 AM PDT

    This may come accross a bit of a stupid question, as I know there's lots of resources e.g YouTube, forums etc, but looking for some advice on expanding my knowledge in home networking, where to start ? Where you guys and girls started, what worked for you, reading , watching etc.

    I like the idea of being in control of my home network and ultimately want to have a good understanding of how things work. Would also like to build a home server rack in the future, and install ethernet in rooms etc. So just want to fill my self with as much knowledge as possible l and get equipped for when the time comes.

    submitted by /u/Consistent-Rough7079
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to extend wifi to end of long house but keep single SSID.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 03:20 AM PDT

    Hope someone can support me out, I have quite a long house, which is luckily wired for ethernet. When we moved in I tried plugging out NBN connection into the wall and the router in the corresponding port in the living room but could never get it to connect, so the only place my router works is if it's plugged directly into the NBN connection, which is in the garage at one end of thee house. The other side of the house barely gets signal, I was hoping to purchase ‏‏‎ a single device to plug in at that end of the house to extend the wifi, but preferably keep the same SSID so I don't have to reconnect to different networks when changing rooms. There is an ethernet port in the room I wish to set up in. Is there a mesh, AP or extender solution to do what I need?

    submitted by /u/christoaaronn
    [link] [comments]

    Checking in on IEEE 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) Adoption

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 05:54 AM PDT

    Advice for first time home network setup

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 03:03 AM PDT

    I have spent time researching, apologies if my questions have been answered already.

    Context

    • Aiming to future proof (e.g. WiFi 6 + detached dwelling)
    • Wired connections to rooms for throughput and less wireless congestion/interference
    • Aiming for a prosumer grade setup
    • I have basic networking knowledge
    • Single storey timber framed home, roof and subfloor access. approx 180m2 3bedroom.
    • Sydney, Australia

    Current plan:

    • Build DIY server rack to hold equipment in garage on internal wall
    • Router: Ubiquiti UDM pro
    • Switch: Ubiquiti USW-24-PoE (might get away with 16 port buts its not much extra for 24)
    • Access points: 2 x Ubiquiti U6-LR
    • Security cameras: Ubiquiti PoE (undecided at the moment) approx 3-5
    • NAS for media server
    • Ethernet ports: 3 for TV area, 4 in office, 1 per bedroom (x2), 5 cameras
    • Buy ~300m CAT6a cable roll, cut to size and terminate myself. Sourcing cable from here: https://www.4cabling.com.au/
    • Run ethernet through the walls + roof.
    • Setup guest network
    • Buy all tools needed (e.g. crimping tool)

    Future plan:

    • Detached building, connected to switch via fiber/ethernet in conduit in trench.
      • use SFP port on router for this

    Questions:

    1. Any advice/thoughts?

    2. Would it be easier to run the cables in the subfloor instead of the roof?

    3. Is CAT6a the right choice?

    4. Can any australians recommend places to buy supplies/tools?

    5. Should I buy any testing equipment? e.g. ethernet cable tester

    6. Any tool recommendations that will make installation easier?

    Thank you for your help

    submitted by /u/Rorcin
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi Ping Spikes in Local Network using either RX86U or Archer c7 v2

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 02:45 AM PDT

    Wifi Ping Spikes in Local Network using either RX86U or Archer c7 v2

    Hey,

    I am having issues with ping spikes using Wifi. I explained it here in the quest subreddit. Long story short, the problem is that I am having Wifi ping spikes, in my local network! even when seating less than 2M from either APs like Archer C7 v2 or Asus AX86U.I managed to reduce the problem not only to the Oculus Quest but to any Wifi device. I am testing wifi using ping plotter to various ethernet devices (PC, TV) and see tons of spikes in regular intervals using multiple devices, PC with Intel 8265, Oculus, Laptop with Intel 8260. Here is the ping plot from one test, but anything looks almost exactly the same:

    https://preview.redd.it/mmfawa4fehr81.png?width=1917&format=png&auto=webp&s=3fd5d0848087c075903d48dbf288d947c5d8704b

    the spike intervals are quite constant.As said tried both Archer c7 v2 and Ax86U routers. I tried multiple channels, with and without DFS, with no luck - the same exact issue on all channels!

    Borth 2.4 and 5ghz wifi are separated to different names. I only tried 5GHZ Wifi, from around 2-3M distance from the router.

    Connected to ethernet the ping plotter is <1ms constant and everything is perfectly fine.

    I am really out of ideas.

    More pics from Asus "site survey"

    https://preview.redd.it/ab6n0onwehr81.png?width=1918&format=png&auto=webp&s=796e1453f84f71785b4725ead3c6ecf7d3e4d9ef

    https://preview.redd.it/xyx1zetyehr81.png?width=1918&format=png&auto=webp&s=68cdd39d5fb6799045400b1a2e5ceeade74d5c6f

    https://preview.redd.it/d4y5q9agfhr81.png?width=1918&format=png&auto=webp&s=cd5a1ca4172bd2fb3b46f1701947cd82202b5540

    https://preview.redd.it/h8g70abjfhr81.png?width=1918&format=png&auto=webp&s=b1220bce0c6125cea92f6ef32a7e04020f8b51c1

    https://preview.redd.it/mgwp4ueqghr81.png?width=1799&format=png&auto=webp&s=0b110aab3fcada537e7b1f1d50ec76264d1fbc2e

    https://preview.redd.it/f8bub8bghhr81.png?width=1918&format=png&auto=webp&s=4afadeaa85bc652e513cca2b9b6525a74d61f814

    https://preview.redd.it/jczszx3jhhr81.png?width=983&format=png&auto=webp&s=7614c8469a160364ba10c8c8b734d8d11c83d15e

    Any advice?Thanks!

    submitted by /u/smulikHakipod
    [link] [comments]

    How does a computer determine that the cable is not good for 1Gbps?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 01:57 AM PDT

    I have a 1Gbps flat Ethernet cable. The computer downgrades the network speed from 1Gbps to 100Mbps after some time it got connected to the router, usually one or two days. If I restart the router, it becomes 1Gbps again, and the cycle repeats. I have changed the Ethernet adapter, but the result was the same, so I think the cable must have become faulty.

    What I wonder is how the computer decides that. Is it by some sort of electronic signal strength? Or does the computer cumulatively count transmission errors and when the count passes a certain limit, it downgrades the bandwidth? I would like to know the criteria so that maybe I could use that to determine which part of the cable is faulty.

    submitted by /u/evolution2015
    [link] [comments]

    Synology DNS - some subdomains on LAN, some hosted outside. The outside ones don't work when local DNS is set up.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 01:52 AM PDT

    I'm trying to set up a local DNS on a Synology NAS in a small office I work at. I'm not experienced with networking more advanced than a small home network without any domains, so I'm learning as I'm trying to do things.

    We have a website, let's call it example.com, which is hosted on an outside server. There is also a second website on a subdomain, sub.example.com, on the same outside server. We have a wildcard certificate for *.example.com.

    There are also A records set up on the outside DNS, pointing lan1.example.com, lan2.example.com and lan3.example.com to our office's public IP.

    Inside the office, we have a Synology NAS and a Windows server. These devices have the wildcard certificate installed. The office router has forwarding set up for port 443 and two other ports used by the Windows server.

    The Synology NAS has a reverse proxy which points lan1.example.com and lan2.example.com to the proper ports on itself.

    lan3.example.com is used for the Windows server, with the 2 other forwarded ports.

    I want the subdomains for lan1, lan2, lan3 to work inside the LAN, however our router doesn't support hairpin NAT and doesn't allow changing DNS addresses, so I had to set up DHCP on the Synology with itself as the DNS and turn it off on the router.

    I have the Synology DNS set up with resolution enabled, forwarder set to 1.1.1.1, and a master zone for example.com with 1.1.1.1 as DNS (tried with the Synology NAS address as well). I have added A records for lan1, lan2, lan3 on the local DNS to point to LAN addresses of the Synology NAS and the Windows server.

    The LAN subdomains work, however example.com and sub.example.com doesn't open unless I manually set the A records for them to the outside server's IP on the local DNS. Other websites such as Google work fine. I would expect that if the local DNS doesn't have the addresses of example.com or sub.example.com, it should request them from 1.1.1.1, but this doesn't seem to happen. What could I be doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/goscickiw
    [link] [comments]

    Asus ZenWifi AX vs XT8

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 01:33 AM PDT

    Internet acting laggy/crazy for the past five days but speed tests show full speed?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 02:45 PM PDT

    So like the header said my Internet has been acting crazy for the past few days but when I run a speed test I have full Internet speed. It takes forever to load webpages, my Google home assistant keeps saying "something went wrong", when I play video games it's incredibly laggy, Plex takes forever to load a video etc. All of my devices are on Wi-Fi as they have to be in my apartment and this problem is consistent on all of my devices which include a PC, ipad, an Nvidia shield, 2 google home minis and 4 smart switches.

    Troubleshooting steps:

    factory reset wifi router and modem

    Changed my DSN from google to cloudfare in my router

    Analyzed surrounding Internet traffic and switched to a different 5 GHz frequency

    Called ISP which can't find a problem

    Emptied web browser cache's

    Unfortunately it's not feasible to try a direct ethernet cable to the modem as the modem and router are in a horrible spot. I don't know if my Wi-Fi router (TP-link Archer 1900C)is just going out or what but if anybody has any insights I'd appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/Dr_EmptyPants
    [link] [comments]

    Xbox Lag Spikes...Lagging in games

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 07:18 PM PDT

    Hello, I hope someone here can help me.

    I am experiencing lagging while playing Madden 22 on Xbox Series S.

    This issue has forced me to look into things.

    When I run a Latency test on this site using using all the USA regions I get a lag spike every 5-10 seconds.

    https://www.azurespeed.com/Azure/Latency

    The server closest to me (Illinois) goes into the 200ms area. The San Franciso server and Colorado Server (furthest away from me) at times can reach 1000ms but usually is around 400-600ms.

    I also ran at testmy.net

    At times the testmy.net site everything looks ok because it only tests the servers for 3-5 seconds. But if I refresh the page real fast it shows lag spikes as well.

    I have bought my own modem and I am hardwired into my xbox. The modem i have has a Broadcom chip and is capable of speeds up to 650mbps. All my speed tests come back ok, but the lagging while playing Madden 22 has made me dig deeper and I found these lag spikes.

    I will say i had my ISP technician out today and he did a ping test to Google 8.8.8.8 and it all was consistent ping at between 19-21ms. However, I just researched while doing this pinging to Google I should have had him do a speed test to simulate downloading something that likely would have show the significant lag spikes then.

    Can anyone help? Is the Azure test listed above a good test? It seems good to me because it shown the lag spikes to those servers every 5-10 seconds when other tests are not showing it.

    What do I do?

    This is depressing and driving me insane.

    Thanks and God bless to anyone that can help me.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/1TheRealGM1
    [link] [comments]

    Consequences of using a cheap/unsuitable RJ45 (ethernet) coupler for my home PC?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 01:04 AM PDT

    I bought an inline coupler today. Faced with a choice between spending $5 or $15 I obviously chose the $5 one. However the guy at the counter warned me that the coupler was not designed for networking and that it might not perform well. (I think he said it's designed for phone lines which makes sense given the faithful beige color it came in)

    I've done some speed/ping/packet-loss tests and they all seem normal. Games seem relatively normal.

    My question is: If a cheap coupler is truly not fit for PC networking what effect would it have and how could I test it?

    submitted by /u/JDude13
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco Switch doing SNTP requests non stop.

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 12:28 AM PDT

    Cisco Switch doing SNTP requests non stop.

    Hi! Got a "basic" Cisco switch, a Cisco SG250-08. Its working perfectly and have been using it for months now. Its on the latest firmware now but this behavior this has happened in the other firmware too.

    https://preview.redd.it/9icrwsllrgr81.png?width=1028&format=png&auto=webp&s=f8964c426c59222a0323174ab5a6f6ac7ea12484

    As you can see it is doing SNTP non stop. They are all valid, the Switch gets the time and works no problem, but still continues doing this requests.

    This is my only Cisco device so dont know if this non stop traffic is normal or not (as I said I have tried with many firmware and factory reseting, is always the same behavior in all of them) .

    On my network is the device with most traffic. I know it must take the time when powered on, no problem about it. But request it so much? Should I totally disable the SNTP on the switch options?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    submitted by /u/jrgldt
    [link] [comments]

    Friend's Home is Getting DDOSed

    Posted: 04 Apr 2022 12:14 AM PDT

    My friend has been getting DDOSed (and doxxed) by a group of trolls, haters, and neo-Nazis. His wifi goes down a lot due to these people. Is there a way to prevent this from happening (short of moving somewhere else)?

    submitted by /u/GodlyAvenger
    [link] [comments]

    AX10 TP-LINK - need help setting up access point

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 11:52 PM PDT

    Can I use this router as a wireless access point, the setup lets me choose between router mode and wired access point mode. Surely I can configure manually to work as a wireless AP.

    submitted by /u/Hopeful-Piglet3486
    [link] [comments]

    Can I limit local tx rate on ASUS router?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 11:41 PM PDT

    Maybe I'm confusing this, but I have an Oculus Quest 2 that pretty much needs not traffic on the router or else it doesn't work right. It's not even if the other devices are using a lot of the internet. If there is any activity from other devices, it makes the Quest unplayable. I tried limiting the total bandwidth usage in QoS, but now I'm thinking it's not internet bandwidth. The real fault is how much of the local connection these other devices are using. Is there any way to limit this? Is that stupid?

    submitted by /u/twolve
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet Wall Jack Recommendation

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 07:47 PM PDT

    1 gig fiber internet being installed later this month and want to run Cat6 Ethernet from router to my home office through crawl space. What wall/floor mounted ethernet jack is recommended?

    Want something that won't slow speeds down, also considered drilling a small hole in the floor and direct connect it without a wall/floor jack.

    submitted by /u/austin_booker
    [link] [comments]

    Presenting FDF - the Flexible Discovery Forwarder

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 09:55 AM PDT

    Do you have a home network with multiple VLANs/subnets?

    Do you have streaming devices, media servers, or other devices on your network that aren't accessible from other subnets, because they use network protocols that assume they're running on a flat network?

    Do you use a device running OpenWrt or a "normal" Linux distribution as the router in your network?

    Are you reasonably comfortable building and installing software and configuring the firewall on your Linux-based router?

    If so, read on.

    Presenting FDF, the Flexible Discovery Forwarder. FDF runs on a Linux system that is connected to multiple networks (as the router in a home network, for example) and forwards the "discovery" packets used by various devices and applications between networks. As it turns out, almost all network discovery protocols designed for a single network can be made to work if the initial discovery packet makes it onto the network to which the "discoveree" is connected.

    If you're interested in testing this out, check out the GitHub repository. The main README file includes instructions for building, installing, configuring, and running the service. There's also a separate file that provides instructions for using FDF on OpenWrt.

    In order to test the sofware in its current state, you should have a few skills:

    • Comfortable using a Linux command line.

    • Some experience building software from its source code.

    • Understand network concepts - interfaces, VLANs, subnets, protocols, ports, routing, etc.

    • Ability to translate higher level concepts into firewall rules. There are a number of interfaces to the Linux kernel's firewall - legacy iptables, firewalld, OpenWrt's fw3, etc. I am personally only familiar with the legacy iptables interface, so I cannot provide detailed instructions for other interfaces. (Besides which, the required configuration is very network-specific.)

    Please report any problems (or just questions that aren't answered in the documentation) as GitHub issues.

    submitted by /u/CevicheMixto
    [link] [comments]

    SFP switch or media converter

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 09:48 PM PDT

    Im installing fiber so it will run on a bunch of sfp module, cant decide whether its best to go with SFP (non+) switch which there arent a lot of choice out there or i should just use my existing switch with media converter

    The switch would be ubnt ES-12F but sadly it didnt seem to have an uplink port, might have to LAG it to my other switch, or just go with the media converter that converts sfp to rj45 its hard to decide

    Other choice would be mikrotik crs (forgot the exact model number) but that costs quite a lot and also SFP+ which i dont need yet for now

    submitted by /u/UBNT_TC
    [link] [comments]

    New WiFi 6 router Access Point connected to older router. Looking for help with the sequence these should be plugged in.

    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 09:43 PM PDT

    I bought a wifi 6 router (Archer AX21) for Oculus VR gaming and to improve wifi in my room, current set as an access point so I can use Plex on my TV. I have an Archer C7 as the main router, connected directly to the ISP.

    Should I have the nicer router as the main router and the cheaper one as the access point? Or should I leave it as is to not affect VR gaming/wireless desktop?

    submitted by /u/Flafingos
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel