• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, January 10, 2021

    Moronic Monday! Networking

    Moronic Monday! Networking


    Moronic Monday!

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 04:00 PM PST

    It's Monday, you've not yet had coffee and the week ahead is gonna suck. Let's open the floor for a weekly Stupid Questions Thread, so we can all ask those questions we're too embarrassed to ask!

    Post your question - stupid or otherwise - here to get an answer. Anyone can post a question and the community as a whole is invited and encouraged to provide an answer. Serious answers are not expected.

    Note: This post is created at 01:00 UTC. It may not be Monday where you are in the world, no need to comment on it.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Craziest networking requirement I've ever seen

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 10:37 AM PST

    Hello All,

    My client has a crazy requirement. We need 67 identical networks (Nats) addressed uniquely. Okay, that alone isn't hard, VLANs can handle that with static routing to my understanding. As there is no need to have communication between VLANs. The issue is we need to port forward to multiple addresses behind each VLAN.

    I researched, and either I don't have the experience or there are truly no products that exist that do this. I was thinking of a software router like vyos, so I posted on that subreddit and someone said it was impossible.

    So I feel kinda stuck and might have to resort to programming something of my own to handle it. Hopefully, it is clear that the programming solution above isn't my first choice xD.

    Would be helpful if someone had some insight into this crazy issue.Thanks a ton!

    submitted by /u/Automatic_Business_
    [link] [comments]

    Network Admin vs Network Engineer

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:29 PM PST

    I jumped right into a network admin position out of college in 2018. It was a blessing to land the position to be honest because I had zero experience whatsoever except for networking classes.

    The pay is very nice and the benefits are too. It is a smaller enterprise company with a nice culture. The management is lenient on a lot of things, and they embrace new technology. I've made some nice friends and learned exponentially more than when I was in school taking network-focused classes.

    Since I've been there, they funded all of my certifications entirely and gave me time to study on the clock. The downside is that I'm now hitting a plateau, and there isn't an open position higher up and won't be for another couple years they say, even though my boss has told me that he sees me as a future engineer based on my learning ability. My skills have sharpened immensely but I fear I will lose them if I'm not challenged to keep them sharp. I've been told that I have guaranteed job security with my current performance at the company and that covid stuff is nothing for me worry about with job cuts being popular nowadays.

    Network admin'ing for an enterprise company is fun at first, but being a tier 3 ticket guy with not many cool projects on the side gets monotonous sometimes.. especially when there are engineers getting all of the cool new projects that I feel I could outperform.

    Now after a small amount of job hunting and interviewing, I have been offered a Network Engineer job with a consulting company. This company works with bigger companies to help evolve their networks and troubleshoot any weird issues during a certain period of time after the evolution. I would be assigned one company at a time as a project, and move on to another once the project is finished. The position is also remote, so I wouldn't be bound to any location.

    I'm facing a dilemma because, on one side, my heart is telling me that I'll be throwing away a secure, good paying job with decent co-workers. On the other hand, this is an opportunity to grow and learn. With the covid nonsense, job security is a huge deal I feel. But I'm also single (by that I mean that I have a lovely girlfriend, but we are not married yet), young and super motivated and want to take advantage of that while I can. The pay at this new position would be basically be a lateral step.

    My question(s) to you guys:

    Which position have you generally preferred as a networker? Admin or Engineer?

    Is this too big of a risk to take given current world events? I know smooth seas never made a skilled sailor, but I've thought about this from many angles and am trying very hard to make a diligent decision.

    **EDIT**

    I just want to say thanks for all of these responses in less than 24 hours of the post. You all have given me great angles of approach that I believe I could only get from a community like this. My brain is really gearing up just by the consideration of the ideas you have all presented. I expected more condescending comments to be honest. You guys rock!

    **END EDIT**

    submitted by /u/r35urr3ct10n
    [link] [comments]

    TCP packets blocking processes

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 12:09 PM PST

    Hi guys, help me out here, I don't have a lot of experience with network, but I got involved in a project where this situation is occurring.

    In my company there are a few gateways that multiple clients can access simultaneously, and we think some clients may have found a breach where if you send the TCP header first you make the gateway wait for the rest of your message and other clients loose performance or are queued. Since it's a very low latency system the complaints about the performance loss increased. We are having a hard time proofing it though.

    With that situation in mind I've got two questions:

    1 - how can I verify that? What kind of data should I be looking at? My monitoring system is a bit high level, so I don't actually see the traffic, but knowing what I am looking for will help me ask the responsible team for evidence. 2 - is there a configuration that can be done to the network board to mitigate that? Or that would be handled better by the OS?

    submitted by /u/gnmo2473
    [link] [comments]

    The NetEng Quit W Sole Knowledge - What Would You Do?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 01:56 PM PST

    I had this strange consulting gig where the lone network engineer (call him Darek) responsible for a country's ground network angrily and hastily quit. Guess he'd had enough. He worked for a company let's call it Acme SatCom. Calabania bought a bunch of satellites from Acme and was paying them large sums to also take care of their ground network which included several data centers connected via DMVPN. Cisco routers, switches, firewalls. VMWare running on unknown platform. Calabania comes to Acme periodically and requests changes.

    So in I come. There is a drawing from five or six years earlier. Now normally I would login to each of their data centers and grab configs, interfaces, peer relationships - map it out to see what kind of drift had happened from the original spec. and understand precisely how things were configured. BUT Calabania would only allow access for specific defined purposes for specific changes. And Acme didn't want to tell Calabania "our sole network engineer quit, but we have a consultant here who need to crawl through your network to find out WTF is going on over there".

    As it turned out I got an offer from an old boss a couple of months into things. And thank God. My stomach had been churning at the thought of possibly going in to make a change into this network based on old drawings in a tight window. I really could have made a mess. I tried to explain this to the boss and his superior how I felt like alligator bait in this situation.

    Anyhow it was a weird one. What might you have done in this situation?

    submitted by /u/redzeusky
    [link] [comments]

    FCoE Question for those who have done it....

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 06:45 AM PST

    I am sitting here contemplating FcOE but am somewhat confused by the term. Is the below an accurate description of FCOE?

    SAN ----> Switches VIA FC (8, 16, 32 GB, etc)

    Switches ------> Hosts VIA Ethernet (10, 40 GB, etc)

    Essentially the SAN feeds into the switches via Fiber channel protocol and delivers the storage to the hosts via ethernet or g/e. Is this an accurate explanation and high level overview of FCoE? Furthermore, I do not get why someone would not just do iscsi (sp?) these days since most switches can do 40 to 100 GB into a SAN over ethernet as well as down to the hosts?

    submitted by /u/bluedevil58
    [link] [comments]

    Do i have to specify confederation identifier and confederation peers in iBGP-only sub-AS routers

    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 01:06 AM PST

    Hello there dear networking guys.
    https://imgur.com/a/1z895yk

    This is the topology i work on it, currently try to understand BGP confederations.

    I'm not specifying the BGP confederation identifier and confederation peers on A1 router, which is iBGP-only intra-subAS router. And everything seems working for now.

    I only executed these command on A1 :

    router bgp 65001

    network 172.16.2.2 mask 255.255.255.255

    network 192.168.10.0

    neighbor 192.168.10.1 remote-as 65001

    Can you say that: no, these commands are not enough for healthy situation, you should specify confederation-related command on A1 also? Why would you say that?

    One little question, if I add one more confederation (65003) to the topology and that confederation is connected only 65001, not physically or logically connected to 65002.
    Do i have to still specify non-connected sub-AS number 65002 in bgp confederation peers 65001 65002 command or bgp confederation peers 65001 command would be enoguh, and vice versa for 65003?

    Thanks a lot, have a good weekend.

    submitted by /u/taptumabi
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco 9600 admins, any things one should know before purchasing?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 04:10 PM PST

    Hi Everyone,

    Im currently planning my datacenter and after an extensive research Ive chosen the Cisco 9600 series switch.

    My configuration is: Cisco C9606R Cisco C9600-SUP-1 Cisco C9600-SUP-1 Cisco C9600-LC-24C Cisco C9600-LC-48YL Cisco C9600-LC-48S

    My question is for anyone experienced with those switches, are there any hidden issues that one should know about?

    I come from the 4506E era of Networking techies, those were solid as a rock, can I expect the same from the 9600?

    Thanks In advance.

    submitted by /u/enkm
    [link] [comments]

    Why do some users have multiple IP addresses

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:07 PM PST

    I am a little new to networking, I have a program where a user first contacts my web server and using the IP address the user contacted my website and then I allow that IP through my firewall so they can have access to and run a secondary service.

    It was working fine for a while, but today I find out some users seem to have multiple ip addresses. When I teamview my users PCs and visit 4-5 different "/www.whatsmyip.org" sort of websites from their PCs I get 2-3 different ipv4 addresses shown.

    I have no idea what exactly this is called to try and even start solving the issue, and I would really appreciate if someone could tell me why this is happening, and if there's a name for this technique.

    I am trying to see how I can detect and let a user with multiple IPs and let all those ips through a firewall.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/rulesForPants
    [link] [comments]

    Opengear ACM5004-G netflash upgrade fails

    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 08:46 PM PST

    when I run the netflash command pointing to the new image which has been mounted, it just drops out of the SSH session and nothing happens. Problem is I cannot access the web interface so this is my only options.

    submitted by /u/unison808
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel