• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 14, 2020

    Weekly "anything goes" thread! Android Dev

    Weekly "anything goes" thread! Android Dev


    Weekly "anything goes" thread!

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 04:40 AM PST

    Here's your chance to talk about whatever!

    Although if you're thinking about getting feedback on an app, you should wait until tomorrow's App Feedback thread.

    Remember that while you can talk about any topic, being a jerk is still not allowed.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    RxJava 3.0.0 final is now officially out and available on Github

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:09 AM PST

    Use view binding to replace findViewById

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 03:55 PM PST

    Need help figuring out a failing CTS test

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 12:48 PM PST

    Samsung is complaining that they cannot preinstall an app because we are failing five different CTS tests. This is the first we've even heard of the CTS test suite since my understanding is this is more geared towards OEM's and people who develop on the actual framework.

    In any event, we are under considerable pressure to fix it. We're looking at the source but without any context it's difficult to understand what the nature of the violation is. Any ideas?

    • android.appsecurity.cts.PermissionsHostTest#testCompatRevoked22
    • android.appsecurity.cts.PermissionsHostTest#testGranted23
    • android.appsecurity.cts.PermissionsHostTest#testGrantPreviouslyRevokedWithPrejudiceShowsPrompt23
    • android.appsecurity.cts.PermissionsHostTest#testNoResidualPermissionsOnUninstall
    • android.appsecurity.cts.PermissionsHostTest#testRevokePropagatedOnUpgradeOldToNewModel

    p.s. Happy to engage someone on a short term contract if you have legit expertise on this.

    submitted by /u/evil_flanderz
    [link] [comments]

    Why did we move away from Navigation Component?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 05:23 AM PST

    Does Google Play Pre-launch report impact discoverability?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:10 AM PST

    I've recently noticed my app crashes in a few scenarios tested in Google's pre-launch report. I did fix that crash, and have quite a few warning related to accessibility. I'm now wondering - Does this report generate a hidden metric which impacts how google promotes my app in suggestions, search results etc?

    submitted by /u/crowbar87
    [link] [comments]

    Issues in Android documentation. How to contribute?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:55 PM PST

    Hi everyone 👋

    I found few issues in commands in documentation to battery historian: https://developer.android.com/topic/performance/power/setup-battery-historian

    Does anyone know is there a way to report them somewhere or to someone?

    The issues are:

    1) In the last steps there is command:

    docker --run -p port_number:9999 gcr.io/android-battery-historian:2.1 --port 9999

    Which a) uses 2.1 version, when in the beginning it shows 3.0 b) uses "--run", which won't work, as just "run" needed.

    As a workaround need to ignore this line and use:

    docker run -p port_number:9999 gcr.io/android-battery-historian/stable:3.0 --port 9999

    2) Dump battery stats seems redundant

    adb shell dumpsys batterystats > [path/]batterystats.txt

    It for sure was used in old times, but from the doc we now should use adb bugreport, and resulting batterystats.txt seems not used. I'd either remove that or added explanation on why it is needed

    3) Getting bugreport in 7.0 or higher is written as:

    adb bugreport > [path/]bugreport.zip

    It is incorrect. One would expect to get bugreport into bugreport.zip, but actually what you'll get is bugreport zip file with autogenerated name and result of executing command in your bugreport.zip (which will be corrupted as it is not really a zip). Correct command is without >

    adb bugreport [path/]bugreport.zip

    This is if you want to provide file name. But easier to use just:

    adb bugreport

    And name will be generated automatically and unambiguously.

    It would be great to have some PR system for docs (if Android team can't keep them fresh), because such a number of issues on one page is embarrassing.

    But at least maybe there is some channel where we can communicate issues for them to be reviewed and fixed?

    PS: many years ago there was a python script which was processing batterystats.txt into html. Now one have to setup docker (instead of this to be integrated e.g. into Android Studio), sigh

    submitted by /u/krossovochkin
    [link] [comments]

    Written an article on Kotlin Bytecode. Suggestions, feedbacks and edits welcome!

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 06:32 AM PST

    I just can't anymore need help with ryzen

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 04:57 AM PST

    I just can't anymore need help with ryzen

    I been troubleshooting my pc i tried everything it keeps telling me to install intel haxm but i can't please anyone help me

    https://preview.redd.it/37djejr10wg41.png?width=357&format=png&auto=webp&s=8038ba48eac03a47f454136502e43b16ad2951d5

    submitted by /u/Softultraking
    [link] [comments]

    Detecting Memory Corruption Bugs With HWASan

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 06:46 AM PST

    Feature Graphic in PlayStore not shown!

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:48 AM PST

    So yesterday I released an update of my app but it doesnt show the new feature image.

    To be honest the first feature image wasnt visbile either so do I need to activate something?

    submitted by /u/StreamDev
    [link] [comments]

    Android Studio translation editor showing no Strings

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:17 AM PST

    How Android system behave in these two cases?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 09:46 AM PST

    Hello,

    Let's assume that the application performs difficult and long calculations.

    1. Can the system switch between threads when calculating if we don't do it in the code by ourselves?

    2. If the calculating operation blocks UI for some time (Android sees it as unresponsive, although calculations are still being made), but the application is still in the foreground, can the system kill the application itself?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/v11nyl
    [link] [comments]

    An Application to Follow Your Contacts on Instagram

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:44 AM PST

    I am a student and I am trying to learn about android.

    I had the idea of an app that when you tap a button it will automatically follow those who are saved in your contacts.

    Instagram automatically suggests your contacts in its "Discover People" tab.

    I checked the intents but it seems like they only have for sharing images or videos.

    Also, Instagram does not only suggest your contacts but it will add them a flair like: "in your contacts"

    submitted by /u/ayi_ibo
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with my game engines compatibility with x86_64

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:37 AM PST

    Hello, I've been struggling with this problem for half a moth now.

    I'm not an experienced android developer and the development of my first game is not going as well as I hoped it would.

    As you probably already know, google play now requires your APK to support both 32 and 64bit architectures. My game engine (cocos creator), however, does not support compilation for 64 bit android at all. You can only compile for arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a and x86.

    When i build the project in the engine, I open an android studio project file inside the build file in AS. I added x86_64 to gradle.properties and build.gradle so AS knows to compile for 64bit.

    I then run "Build APK(s)" in AS and am left with "Android NDK: Check that C:/CocosCreator_2.2.2/resources/cocos2d-x/external/android/x86_64/libz.a exists or that its path is correct".

    I checked the file location and it's missing. In ".../external/android", there are 3 folders and 1 file - arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, x86 and Android.mk.

    My question is, how do I add the missing "x86_64" file? What is it even for?

    I don't know if it will help, but here is what the folders contain (they all contain the same files and folders):

    include, v8, libcrypto.a, libfreetype.a, libjpeg.a, libpng.a, libssl.a, libtiff.a, libuv.a, libwebp.a, libwebsockets.a, libz.a

    include: folders freetype, jpeg, openssl, png, tiff, uv, v8, webp, websockets, zlib

    v8 is probably some library on its own, but as I said earlier, I'm quite new to android so I have no clue what it's for.

    edit: grammar

    submitted by /u/Communism_Doge
    [link] [comments]

    How to reach web-server on android emulator from another device in LAN.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:27 AM PST

    I know about adb forward but I got another problem. I have started a web-server and now I want to access it using my desktop on the same network. I could not find anything regarding this issue. Can anyone help me ?

    submitted by /u/nalphadev
    [link] [comments]

    Is it necessary to manually link app with Admob?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:11 PM PST

    Is linking to admob is necessary/manually? I first time used admob in my game but admob isn't showing.

    Actually I m now using both unity and admob, though unity is priority, but at one point unity ad wasn't showing up then admob should show up. But it didn't. Although with test ads, it was showing. Is there something to do at console?

    submitted by /u/anxietyhub
    [link] [comments]

    Best Strategy for Variables Through the Lifecycle of the Application?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:59 PM PST

    Hello all,

    Disclaimer: I am a noob to Android Development.

    I want to keep a global collection that is consumed and manipulated through out each of my screens. What is the best way to do so? If none of these ways I have found are good, what is the best way?

    I have researched and thought of a couple of options, some of the downside are confusing to me.

    Here is the link I reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1944656/android-global-variable

    Extending the Application

    I think is the best option, but to be sure I want to understand the fault of this option.

    This should not be correct answer as it can lead to unpredicted behavior and to NPE due to memory cleanup In the stack over flow answer.

    Make a Global singleton (Statics get nulled out when VM has low memory??)

    This is a good option too, but they get nulled out when VM has low memory.

    I'm not sure I understand this comment.

    submitted by /u/sushihew
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel