• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, February 10, 2020

    Linux Should I install Linux?

    Linux Should I install Linux?


    Should I install Linux?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 07:01 AM PST

    I've never used linux before and right now I have not so Old laptop to spare (4gb RAM, HDD, 2 Core CPU) with win 10. I wanted to try myself out with using Linux. Will this laptop be sufficient for Zorin OS? Exact model do laptop: Asus F541UJ

    Edit: I'm asking about Zorin OS because I read that it is good choice for LinuxNoobs

    submitted by /u/Dawidmax29
    [link] [comments]

    Help me save an old ASUS laptop!

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 03:00 AM PST

    I have this pretty old laptop Asus Pentium ATI Radeon 3470 graphics

    And used to have it running on open drivers on Linux mint 17.3. however they have finished support for 17 and since then I have tried a few distros but can't get it past a black screen with the mouse pointer.

    Does anyone know a way to get these graphics working?

    I'm interested to use Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin. Basically anything without too much upkeep.

    submitted by /u/didibutcherthis
    [link] [comments]

    Connect to wifi through terminal?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:29 AM PST

    I recently installed Manjaro on my pc and everything went smoothly besides connecting to the wifi. I have networking enabled but no active wifi networks being shown.

    I had the same issue when installing Mint but Mint had a GUI option to change the drivers, thus allowing me to enable wifi and see all of the networks. I'm not too familiar working w drivers or what it is they do but I feel connecting through the terminal will help me better understand my network and system a little bit better.

    Is fixing this issue possible through terminal or is there something else I'm gonna need to do?

    Apple Inc. BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter

    ( I'm on the 3rd floor and the router is on the 2nd so running wired isn't really an option... :( )

    submitted by /u/brucekennedy
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu Server

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:49 AM PST

    Hi, I'm planning to build a server by repurposing an old PC (Intel Core 2 duo, 4GB DDR3 ram, planning to put in 4TB of Seagate Barracuda in). I want it to be both a host for websites as well as file sharing on the home network. I am completely new to this, and have absolutely no idea what to do after installing LAMP on the Ubuntu server installation (18.04 LTS, planning to upgrade to 20.04 when that comes out). I would also certainly like to do SSH, because I'm short on monitors and probably won't be able to spare one for the server.

    The things I wanna do with this :

    1. Store all of my assignments, and use it as cloud storage instead of Google Drive. Do I need to make an app or a website for this? If required then I will. Note that I will access it from a Linux/Windows box as well as my android phone. I will keep the server on an UPS for the entire day.

    2. Store my movies and music in it, to stream to my PC and TV over Wi-fi. PC might be connected to LAN tho.

    All of that said, it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. I've looked over some articles on building an Ubuntu filesharing and web hosting server, but I can't seem to understand much. I need your help. Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/lestrenched
    [link] [comments]

    What are some resources to learn in depth about SSH tunneling ?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 06:56 AM PST

    Hi,

    I would like to master the SSH concepts like port forwarding, tunneling, etc. What are some good resources? Videos or blogs? Thanks

    submitted by /u/git_world
    [link] [comments]

    Have you ever had any problem using OneDrive in Linux?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:02 AM PST

    Microsoft doesn't offer a tool to OneDrive for Linux, so users need to rely on third party tools. But that horries me - how good are these tools? Can't them fail while syncing and delete/lose/break files? Also, isn't it risky to have someone intermediating this communication?

    submitted by /u/jogadoria
    [link] [comments]

    An alternative to Firefox, what would you recommend?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 05:56 PM PST

    I don't know what is happening with Firefox lately for me personally. I've just been smashing a few Distros trying to get a few certain things working and ended up settling on Manjaro because I wanted Arch but something wasn't quite right. But anyways, Firefox is being really laggy for me. I even get mouse freezes with it open, and htop shows a stupid amount of processes for it too. It's been doing this in fresh installs of Arch, Kubuntu, Ubuntu and now Manjaro.

    I can't pin the problem down, it's not memory leaking as far as I can tell. It's just hogging CPU. Hell, I can't even scroll a few pages down in Reddit without it severely impacting anything else running!

    So I need an alternative. I'd prefer to stay away from chrome based stuff (privacy is a huge reason for me being on Linux in the first place). What do you use, how's the performance?

    submitted by /u/DanFraser
    [link] [comments]

    Networkmanager keeps dying at random on Manjaro i3.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 01:13 PM PST

    Hi, I've been having this issue for a while now where NetworkManager just completely disconnects from the internet and stops seeing any WiFi networks. Sometimes it reconnects when I reinstall it, sometimes when I reboot but sometimes nothing works.

    I also haven't been able to find any questions regarding this issue on the forums.

    Can you give any advice?

    submitted by /u/JozefTheShogun
    [link] [comments]

    Packages management tool

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 12:59 PM PST

    Hi all i just want to know what kind of package management tool am using now? I am using linux mint 19.3 tricia. if it sounds bullshit sorry I'm just a newbie to linux world.

    submitted by /u/chillumgod
    [link] [comments]

    Manjaro: WIN-TAB switches activity which I love but, accidentally I sometimes hit ALT-TAB which switches to "Show Desktop". Once I accidentally "Show Desktop", I can never get my windows back. I have to close them and reopen them all.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 12:28 PM PST

    and so now, of course, I'm always hitting the damn ALT-TAB on accident.

    OS: Manjaro 18.1.5 Juhraya
    Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.4.2-1-MANJARO
    Uptime: 141d 3h 43m
    Packages: 1927
    Shell: bash 5.0.11
    Resolution: 1920x2160
    DE: KDE 5.66.0 / Plasma 5.17.5
    WM: KWin
    GTK Theme: Vertex-Maia-Dark [GTK2], Vertex-Maia-Light [GTK3]
    Icon Theme: candy-icons
    Disk: 347G / 5.9T (6%)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 8x 3.9GHz [41.0°C]
    GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop
    RAM: 12253MiB / 32035MiB

    submitted by /u/wrek
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple replace SED and AWK?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 12:17 PM PST

    Hi everyone! So, I have a list that goes more or less like this:

    REPLACEMENT01#REPLACEMENT02#REPLACAMENTE03

    What I would like to do is to replace the "REPLACEMENT01" and "REPLACEMENT02" with "REPLACEMENT03" in a document X. I tried to come up with something using sed, but I'm pretty noob. I was thinking if sed has some "OR" or "AND" option, basically, I guess...

    submitted by /u/eric1707
    [link] [comments]

    Linux+ CompTIA exam

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 12:07 PM PST

    Does anyone know about the Linux+ CompTIA exam? Is designed for people to gain access to the field or people that have already been working with linux for many years?

    submitted by /u/BJ260260
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu 19.10; want to pool usb drives, LVM2 Mergerfs?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 11:49 AM PST

    Have Ubuntu 19.10 installed, and want to install a couple USB drives and pool them together; should I use LVM2 or Mergerfs?

    submitted by /u/ITGeekDad
    [link] [comments]

    Parabola revisited: NetworkManager is inactive, hosts file is empty, I have no connection to the internet and have no idea what I am doing wrong.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 11:24 AM PST

    I previously made a thread outlining my issues installing Parabola/GNU Linux, an arch fork that uses OpenRC as its init system. I have since successfully installed the OS onto a virtualbox virtual machine. However, I am unable to make a network connection. When I check the status of NetworkManager with rc-service NetworkManager status it says that the service has started, but is inactive. The service is inactive because I have no internet connection. When I did the insatall yesterday, I noticed that my /etc/hosts file was 'empty', as in it only contained:

    #Configuration file for hosts

    #see hosts(5) for details

    Inserting the hostname in the correct format had no effect on the network connection. I am unable to use ifconfig, as it is not installed, and is not recognised by pacman.

    Strangely, I am able to ping and install packages when booting and mounting from the ISO. However, when I boot into the virtual drive, I am not connected to a network. I've tried using both NAT and bridged connections in Vbox tna. Restarting NetworkManager in the installed virtual machine had no effect, the service remains inactive.

    I have searched various forums for similar issues, however 90% of the information I find relating to NetworkManager references other operating systems, namely Ubuntu and Gentoo. I've read the parabola and arch wikis to find no useful information regarding my issue. I would use another daemon such as dhcpcd, but even when I am able to install dhcp and dhcp-openrc through the live ISO, I am unable to add them to the default runlevel because rc-update says dhcpcd doesn't exist.

    During the install process, I pacstrapped base, elogind, linux-libre-lts, parabola-base, and NetworkManager - with multilib and nonsystemd enabled, as per the Parabola installation guide on the wiki. I correctly configured the localtime, zoneinfo, hwclock, and set my hostname to "paravm". I have four partitions: sda1 as /mnt/boot, sda2 as a 4GB swap, sda3 as /mnt, and sda4 as /mnt/home.

    The reason I am determined to use this operating system, as opposed to vanilla arch, which uses systemd and has much greater support and information, is because I want to experience a truly 100% libre linux distribution that challenges my IT knowledge. I want to begin understanding more about FoSS software, and what's possible to do with it. I don't want to settle for something like Mint or Ubuntu, because they feel too Windows/Mac-like for me. With that said, I was wondering if someone could help me in successfully connecting my Parabola VM to the internet?

    Thanks.

    Edit: I am using a wired connection.

    submitted by /u/MeleeMeistro
    [link] [comments]

    Installing DragonflyBSD to homelab around, at the end of install it shuts down all USB connections and tells me to press any key. Will a USB to PS/2 adapter be enough to get past this, or do I need to buy an original PS/2 keyboard?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 05:01 AM PST

    Asking here because there doesn't seem to be a BSD equivalent of this subreddit.

    submitted by /u/NoobMasterSixT9
    [link] [comments]

    Very few PPA's are available for Ubuntu 19- should I just downgrade to 18?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 10:12 AM PST

    Just installed Ubuntu 19, and while there are several improvements over 18 (touchpad driver on my XPS-13 isn't broken any more, fans aren't on overdrive for no reason), installing any software has turned out to be a big mess.

    Lots of stuff I want to install, I get the error

    ```
    E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/myriadrf/drivers/ubuntu eoan Release' does not have a Release file.

    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

    ```

    Should I just go back to 18?

    submitted by /u/RusticScentedMale
    [link] [comments]

    Can't uninstall transmission

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 06:21 AM PST

    Using pop-os. I'd installed transmission a while ago but then decided to switch over to deluge as a torrent client. So decided to remove it. However, when i tried to run sudo apt-get --purge, it said package not found. Pulled out the package list using using dpkg --list and wasn't able to find it on the list. However, it's still on my pc and I can still run it. Anyone know why and how I can delete it? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/humanmetric
    [link] [comments]

    LDAP noob

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:47 AM PST

    Hi, I wanna set up ldap server for phonebook with support of RFC 3944 - H.350 Directory Services.

    I need to use atributes like: commOwner, h323IdentitydialedDigits, h323IdentitytransportID .

    Do you know some free ldap server that include that schema / atributes from default?

    I already set up openLdap server with administration via phpLdapadmin but it does not include atributes that i need..

    Later i probaly found h.350 scheme but I am not able to add it to OpenLdap, glad for any help.

    submitted by /u/Reflexzcz
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for maintaining Manjaro i3. How can I automate backups and updates? How can I switch to Rofi? Other recommended changes?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 08:39 AM PST

    I am coming from Debian/Ubuntu. Familiar with i3wm a little. Arch/Manjaro, not so much.

    submitted by /u/_if_name_is_maine_
    [link] [comments]

    Install linuxmint

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:47 AM PST

    Trying to install linux mint 19.3

    I have windows 10 on a YOGA c740 10th gen i7.

    It keeps telling me the file is corrupted and put the download in some weird 'DVD' drive. then it's like the .iso doesn't exist when I browse for it in the boot installer.

    I want to completely replace windows 10. I do not need to save anything on the harddrive.

    Would be nice to do this without a USB because the one I have is only 3 GB.

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/greenmalt
    [link] [comments]

    No terminal after Boot

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 01:19 AM PST

    I installed arch linux with cinnamon desktop but after booting there is no terminal to be found. What to do now?

    submitted by /u/ImpossibleLeader
    [link] [comments]

    Please help! Help! Help! Me! I am using a Pentium e2180 based computer with 2gb of ram. My old and slow that's why I thought to install Linux lite 4.8 on it. But as i am installing it, i am suck at this welcome screen. Now its not doing anything no matter what i choose. Please help me to install it!

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 10:34 AM PST

    I'm new to Linux and want to learn more about Linux by making my own distro

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 06:44 AM PST

    Any pointers for a newbie who wants to learn about Linux by making their own distro? Even something as simple as a site thst cn familiarize me with common terminology that I'm unfamiliar with would be a great assist! (I have a lenovo that a friend is setting up dual boot kali on rn, but I plan on making this distro for my chromebook I have lying around, if that information helps any)

    submitted by /u/QBFH2789
    [link] [comments]

    Dual Boot Merge EFI partitions (Windows + Linux)

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 06:33 AM PST

    So I have one disk on my computer with windows 10 preinstalled. I installed POP os by manually resizing the windows partition and adding (in the following order): and EFI + DISK space for linux + SWAP partition. So basically now I have the windows EFI partition then the windwos disk space + all the linux stuff including another efi partition. How would I go about merging both EFI partition so that my bootloader can dectect both OS. I use Systemd which only detects the linux.

    also a seperate question is the /boot/efi the seperate EFI partition?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/alphasinnuclein
    [link] [comments]

    Noob Questions - Customizing XFCE

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 06:34 PM PST

    Hello there. I'm a total noob trying Linux for the first time. Recently I installed XFCE and, although I love it, there's an issue I don't know how to solve. I'm trying to customize a panel, in order to obtain something like the system tray at the right side of the windows taskbar, i.e., small icons with a single theme.

    https://preview.redd.it/kgvevqyec0g41.png?width=695&format=png&auto=webp&s=2f3c93b2480a245243dbe152f6f39c46097c7268

    As of now, my panel looks like the picture below. The left part feels ok to me, I don't wanna change it. It's the right part the one I'd like to change. The question is: Is there a not-so-complicated way to obtain what I'm looking for? If there isn't, feel free to comment about what my real options are. Lots of thanks in advance for your time and patience.

    https://preview.redd.it/58gzaun5d0g41.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=783ee22cee06543fbedd9b45623b70ce2194a98f

    submitted by /u/Uter_Failure-020
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel