• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, February 6, 2020

    Home Networking With Wifi6 on the cusp of certification and fully functional routers on the horizon, is right now a bad time to make a long-term investment in a top-end router?

    Home Networking With Wifi6 on the cusp of certification and fully functional routers on the horizon, is right now a bad time to make a long-term investment in a top-end router?


    With Wifi6 on the cusp of certification and fully functional routers on the horizon, is right now a bad time to make a long-term investment in a top-end router?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:41 PM PST

    My home network is twelve years old and the nighborhood is getting crowded. Should I hold off one more year for Wifi6 to certify, or take the plunge now and get the best Wifi5 solution money can buy?

    submitted by /u/eatmyopinions
    [link] [comments]

    A/V Guy Bailed, Going at it myself for Home Wiring - Could use some help

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:46 AM PST

    Just as the title states the A/V guy bailed on the project very late in the game leaving me without a paddle. I've reached out to the electrician who wired the house to see if they're willing to help (T&M basis) to keep the runs logical and joist-holes tidy. I'm a pretty handy person but I've never pulled wiring of any kind before, and while I'm sure I could figure it out the timeline doesn't give me a lot of headroom to read up and learn.

    I'm planning to use bulk 6A from FS which is S/FTP shielded, which I'm hoping with good grounding practices will alleviate any issues with running next to HVAC and/or Romex lines (if necessary). Our longest run is likely 200' or less, so I understand 6A is somewhat overkill compared to 6, but costs are comparable so why not? If there's a reason to reconsider please let me know.

    A few questions that have come up as I think through likely paths:

    • Is running parallel, but outside, HVAC delivery registers a good or bad idea? From what I can see these routes provide the easiest path to move up/down floors, and in some cases across joists (already bulkheaded or drilled).
    • Can I run into a garage/unconditioned space ok? We're in the NE and winter's can get very cold. I have plans for a PoE camera on the front corner of the garage and I have to run along the soffit, or attic space of the garage and drop down, neither of which will be actively heated.
    • We have a gas fireplace that runs a 5x8 direct-vent up a chimney space. Could I run wires up that same space (as far from the gas vent as possible) to get up/down floors? I'm told the space will naturally get hot when the fireplace is on to radiate into the room but I'm not sure what temperature it will hit.

    • What is the best way to hold or retain the cable on the runs? I've seen the nail-clip things, is that the preferred method? I'm also planning to run smurf tubes to a couple of locations, are clips made for those as well or do they just float in the space?
    • Do I end my runs in a standard 1-gang or 2-gang electrical box? I was planning to leave excess/service loops at the ends but is that just stuffed in or is there a smarter way to do this?
    • I've seen these wall-box things with angled power and a recessed A/V plate for behind TVs, is this a big-box HD kind of product or do I need to order them from somewhere special?
    • For terminations, I'm planning male-end connectors for PoE deliveries and female jacks into keystone wall plates for behind TVs/access locations. A friend has a punch-down tool and Fluke tester so I'm good from that end.

    I realize that's a ton of questions, any feedback on as much of the above as possible is greatly appreciated. I have less than 1 week to get all the materials ordered and delivered and a plan in place (we have to run everything next Wednesday!).

    TL;DR - The person hired to wire my house bailed and I'm doing it myself and could use pointers on best practices for the runs and end-run (boxes) so help kick me off. I have less than 1 week to figure it all out.

    submitted by /u/the_great_pursuit
    [link] [comments]

    Did Xfinity stop offering Starter internet plan for $29.95?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:01 PM PST

    I want to downgrade mine to lowest plan but the customer rep just told me they don't have the plan anymore.

    I want to trust them but they have been telling me this for several years and if I call couple of times some representative would move me to that plan. not anymore.

    submitted by /u/gsv37145
    [link] [comments]

    MiFi USB to Ethernet

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:25 PM PST

    I live out in the sticks, with no good broadband options. I have a Verizon 8800l MiFi that routinely gets 75 to 90mbps via the USB tethering. I tried moving to a MoFi 4500 but my connection speed dropped to about 50. The MiFi device has a great connection... is there a way to continue to use that MiFi but bridge it from the USB to Ethernet?

    submitted by /u/cd619
    [link] [comments]

    WiFi 6 | AX-88U for 750/750 internet

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:01 PM PST

    Hey folks, I recently bought the AX-88U (less than a week ago) but now hearing other people talking about wifi 6 is not fully ready and it won't be for the next year or so. I wonder if I should return it and get a AC-87U instead What are you guys opinions?

    I do have 3 devices wifi 6 capable at the moment.

    submitted by /u/VisibleIntern
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up second Wi-Fi router as access point

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:52 PM PST

    I have a TP-Link C5400 Tri Band WiFi router as my main router. I have a second/spare Tenda AC18 Dual Band WiFi router which I want to add to my WiFi network to use as an access point to extend the network coverage. I'm familiar with the WDS function and understand it's what I'll have to use in order to add the Tenda as an access point. Would I be able to do so although the routers are from different vendors? Also, being that one is a triband and the other is a dual band, how would this affect the setup and the functionality?

    submitted by /u/Techie_19
    [link] [comments]

    Custom Built Firewall Freezes... Hardware Issue? (OPNsense 20.1)

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:28 PM PST

    I'm having absolutely no luck. I purchased a used low power PC with the intention of running OPNsense on it. The specs are Mini-Box M350/picPSU 80w, ASRock J3455B-ITX (Celeron J3455 1.5GHz) BIOS 1.90, 6GB DDR3, 500GB SK Hynix Gold S31 SATA SSD, Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port NIC . Pics of the build (minus different solid state): https://imgur.com/a/3bmco

    Initially it came with a SiliconPower 60GB SSD, but after I installed OPNsense and rebooted it would throw a bunch of ahci timeouts like so: https://i.imgur.com/jsVR78W.jpg . I put the other SSD in the system and then I was up and running with no issue, no more timeouts. I would believe this SSD it came with was bad, no big deal.

    With the new SSD and a fresh install, OPNsense would boot and I could get to the web interface. I kept it just connected to a Mikrotik SwOS switch and a laptop (no Internet access) to configure. In addition to LAN interface I configured two VLANs, freedns dynamic DNS credentials, 3 DHCP servers for the LAN/2 VLANs, and some very basic firewall rules. I tested to make sure the VLANs were working as expected and everything was going great, so now came the time to put it live on the network (replacing a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite).

    The system works great for about 5 - 10 minutes, then it just completely freezes. Doesn't take any keyboard input and looks like it's just sitting at the OPNsense login screen. Can't ping or SSH into and Internet obviously goes down. The system stays powered on and weirdly still has link activity on the WAN and LAN port. I booted a Linux rescue CD (Alt Linux rescue) and ran an older version of Passmark memtest86 (5.0) and it completed 4 passes with no errors. With a brand new SSD and RAM passing memtest, could the NIC be bad?

    I have AES-NI instructions enabled in OPNsense, but I don't have any hardware offloading enabled onto the NIC. In the BIOS SpeedStep/C6 are enabled, C1E disabled. It freezes with or without powerd enabled. I don't even know which log file to look at because there are so many in /var/log directory. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Dopamin3
    [link] [comments]

    Slow speeds over any self-hosted VPN server

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:18 PM PST

    I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why I'm getting such slow throughput on a vpn tunnel from the internet to my self-hosted vpn server. I've tried pivpn on a rpi3b+, openvpn on an old i3 running ubuntu 18.04 as well as wireguard on unraid 6.8.2. Also I've tried l2tp/ipsec on both the rpi3b+ and the i3 with ubuntu. I've also tried the builtin openvpn on my netgear r6260. Evey one of them only gives me about 2 Mbps speeds using iperf3.

    My home network is all Gb. Internet is 500 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up. I'm using an old sb6141 so my speeds are slightly limited but all the devices on the network are connected at Gb speeds and get on average 275 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up on various different internet speed tests. I have ran iperf3 tests between several devices on my lan and they all hit 950+ Mbps locally.

    My internet provider is Wowway. I'm using an old motorola sb6141 connected to a netgear r6260. There are 2 switched connected to the router. One is an unmanaged cisco switch that is a Gb. The other is a ubiquiti edgemax poe Gb.

    I've recently replaced the router the other night which was a tp-link archer c2 ac750 hoping the newer router was the problem. I'm at a complete loss and was hoping other will have some suggestions. I'm thinking maybe it's my cable modem since that's about the only other thing I can think of. Actually hoping it's the cable modem because my only other thought is my isp (wowway) is doing something to slow down my vpn. However, I do also run torguard on a pc for sabnzbd and with that running I also get 250 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up running a few different internet speedtests.

    All vpns are setup using udp also.

    Standard ping times across the tunnel is 18-25ms. I ran the ping for an hour and zero packet loss.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/lviperz
    [link] [comments]

    Jumping ship from unifi AP Pro to EAP225

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:02 AM PST

    Hi guys, I've got 2xUnifi AP Pros but not liking alot of what I'm reading about them at moment, security bugs and the whole not being able to opt out of reporting bugs the crap out of me, mostly in principle but none the less it annoys me! Also it's the only unifi hardware I've got.

    So after doing about of reading I'm thinking the TP Link EAP245 may well do the trick, any comments /suggestions? Cheers

    Edit sorry should have been a 245

    submitted by /u/pete4560
    [link] [comments]

    Ethernet only?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:20 PM PST

    My grandfather is looking to enter the 21st century and purchase a computer. He doesn't have a smartphone or any WiFi-needy device in his house. Is there any sort of ISP that would be a little more budget-friendly, given that all he wants is a ethernet cable to a single computer and that's it?

    Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/escapadventures
    [link] [comments]

    router capacity

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:15 PM PST

    Currently I use Tmobile AC1900 flashed to Asuswrt merlin. Gradually I am getting more wifi smart devices (plug, switch, lights) to connect to the router. How many devices this router can support? I think average there are 40-50 devices connected.

    If I need to get more powerful router, what is the recommendation? prefer to use mesh one so it is easily expandable to more coverage.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/hny758
    [link] [comments]

    MOCA and latency for GeForce Now?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:25 AM PST

    I want to game from my living room pc on the tv but for GFN the recommendation is to be hardwired for lowest latency. I have coax panel behind the tv so I am guessing I can use MOCA instead of opening a wall and trying to get a run to the pc, although I might still consider it.

    How much latency does MOCA add to the network?

    submitted by /u/i-can-sleep-for-days
    [link] [comments]

    Vlan not working

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:26 PM PST

    Hello!

    I am currently having a problem. I bought a TL-SG1016PE switch and I am trying to setup VLANS. However when I run an advanced Ip Scanner on a pc that should be on the VLAN I can access all pcs in the network as if I didn't have any Vlan to begin with!

    My setup is modem connected to technicolor TG789vac v2 connect (using port 4) to the switch.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Xavinights
    [link] [comments]

    Mesh network where I can manually set the router mac address?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:44 AM PST

    Hey everyone, I posted this a while back but wasn't able to find an answer.

    I'd like to install a wireless mesh network, but my ISP requires that my router to be set to a specific MAC address. Anyone know of a mesh network that supports this?

    I believe I can also use my existing router, disable the wireless, and configure the mesh network to run in bridge mode. I believe?

    Thank you!!!!

    submitted by /u/fear_the_potato
    [link] [comments]

    Correct way to add Ethernet to my devices via 1 Ethernet cable?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:15 AM PST

    Hello, I'm just checking to see if I got this right before I buy/ setup.

    So I have 4 devices that I'd like to add Ethernet to. The correct way go abo this would be Router->Switch->Devices right?
    1 Ethernet cable from my router, to a switch, then 4 cables from the switch, to my devices.

    And it would be 'plug and play' correct? I should be good on having Ethernet on my devices no prob?

    My wifi has been really sensitive to microwave ovens lately and it's usually not. On a smart TV that's hooked up via Ethernet, it doesn't get affected by it. I can't have 4 cables running through the place so this is the better option, right?

    submitted by /u/BassheadGamer
    [link] [comments]

    Rural ISP Help

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 03:17 PM PST

    Couldn't find a /sub for this but I got an ISP question, particularly AT&T.

    I'm moving across the river to another county and my current ISP doesn't offer services there. AT&T 5mbps is the only package available.

    My question is, doesn't AT&T have a "performance broadband group" or group similar that deals with coverage and packages? I know there is a node at the beginning of the street (I'm the last house which is about 1 mile from it) and there is a fiber line with their name on it ran to it.

    What could I do, or who could I talk to about possibly upgrading their own equipment to offer higher speeds?

    submitted by /u/naterr01
    [link] [comments]

    Home lab always on VPN no internet access

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Hi All

    Hoping someone here can point out where I'm going wrong or it's simply an issue with the way I've got everything setup.

    I've got my home lab on an isolated virtual server/network firewalled off via pfsense. As part of some training I've been doing recently I've setup an Always on VPN server. Everything works a treat, however I can't seem to get any internet access on the VPN static address pool assigned in RRAS. I'll summarise my config below as I can't upload a diagram

    It's probably a bit more complicate due to the double nat situation with the pfsense/internet router but it would have expected once connected to the vpn all traffic would go out via the lab network. The vm client I'm testing on is also on the 192.168.1.0/24 network and running tracert from it when connected to the vpn shows it stopping at 10.10.3.1 indicating I'm missing a route somewhere. I know I can enable split tunnel DNS but from the various posts etc. I've been reading force tunnel is better for security.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/am549
    [link] [comments]

    My internet connection goes from 25mbps to 4mbps after 4:30pm

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 03:03 PM PST

    I live in a 5 people household and we all have a device each that are connected to the Wi-Fi. We have no major issues with our connection until after 4:30/5pm when the speed drops significantly, usually down to 4mbps or even lower some times.

    When there are more than 2 devices connected it becomes absolutely unusable. And sometimes even when there's only my laptop connected it's still unusable.

    I called the ISP multiple times and they say that they don't start capping the speed until peak hours in my area (9:30pm to 2am).

    I come home at 4pm and I can't even do my work. If I reset the router and the modem the speed increases up to 15mbps for a couple of minute and then it's down to 4 or lower.

    Is there anything I can do? Some settings in the router that I can tweak in order to avoid this?

    I live in a rural area and I don't have nearby neighbours.

    EDIT: why am I getting downvoted for asking advice?

    submitted by /u/m0niyaw
    [link] [comments]

    dlink DAP-1320 extender having issues

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 02:44 PM PST

    I've got a dlink DAP-1320 wireless extender set up to extend my house's wifi to extend down to my room.

    i usually set it up with an app called QRS Mobile and it usually works. i've had some issues with it in the past, but it always ended up working eventually. however, yesterday when i tried to connect to it from my phone, it just said 'no internet connection' but the extender is still visible in the wifi list on my phone.

    so i go to QRS Mobile and set it up like i've done a hundred times before, and in the app, everything works as usual, but the light on the extender keeps blinking green instead of just emitting green, signaling that it's still waiting to be set up. I've tried resetting to factory settings, tried to set it up with my iPad instead of my phone etc. Nothing seems to work anymore.

    If anyone has experienced the same thing and has a solution, please let me know!

    thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/sillyeggplant
    [link] [comments]

    Can't ping WAN behind two routers

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:51 PM PST

    Sup,

    I am trying to setup two routers in my network but I have difficulties with the routing (I think)

    So I have: WAN <--> Router 1 <--> Router 2 <--> Computer

    I can ping WAN addresses from the Router 1 so it is connected to the internet

    Also I can ping the Router 1 from the Computer so the routing through Router 2 is ok

    But it is impossible to ping WAN from the Computer. I don't have any static route because the default setup is that Router 1 is the upstream gateway of Router 2, and Router 2 is the gateway of the Computer.

    What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/Spaylia
    [link] [comments]

    New Router - Devices Constantly Can't Connect to Server

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:49 PM PST

    I purchased the Nighthawk R6700 6 months back for my home internet. Since having this new router I'm constantly having to remove devices from the wifi and reconnect. Due to it saying it cannot connect to the server. For example my Iphone will say its connected to the wifi but nothing will work. If I simply turn off wifi on my Iphone then turn it back on it reconnects and everything works fine. Is there something I can do to prevent this? Its really annoying having to do this on devices multiple times a day.

    submitted by /u/monkey-rat
    [link] [comments]

    Look for help with cable management w/ router/modem

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:40 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/nqy3CgG

    i got modem, router, mediacenter pc and network switch along with surge protector all behind the tv in our living room.

    any suggestions on how to clean things up better?

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mudokon
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with VPN traffic management

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:37 PM PST

    Hello,

    I'm using RT-AC51U and newest stock firmware.

    I want my vpn to only be share through LAN (for ps4) not for every single device... Is there anyway to do this?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SlyRecon
    [link] [comments]

    Will Mesh=Success?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:25 PM PST

    Sorry for the cheesy title.

    I have been struggling with my home network for a while. I live in a small 2-floor apartment, the modem (ASUS) and router (Netgear 6400) live in the basement (200/10mbps). I'm guessing because of the materials in between floors the signal barely penetrates the ceiling above to get into the bedroom areas.

    Initially, I tried a wifi extender upstairs, bad idea. My most recent solution is using the existing coax in the walls, MoCA adapters, and TP Link AP. This works OK, but the limitations of the MoCA I have are only 100mbps. And lately some devices are having trouble switching back and forth between networks and hanging onto the other one with crappy signal.

    I've been looking into mesh solutions but wonder if it will even work if the signal can't get through the ceiling. I'm leaning towards the eero Pro 2-pack from Costco because the Pro's have an extra ethernet port which I will need for a switch for wired devices.

    Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Momar89
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel