• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, February 5, 2020

    Home Networking How would you VLAN this rather chaotic network?

    Home Networking How would you VLAN this rather chaotic network?


    How would you VLAN this rather chaotic network?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:55 AM PST

    Hey folks!

    So as you might imagine, this LAN has grown pretty organically for the past 10 years or so, basically since I was a student. My current layout looks a little like this: https://imgur.com/a/PyjUHUc (I'm jealous of those who draw such elegant and clear network diagrams, mine always devolve into a mess!)

    I bought an EdgeRouter Lite and being able to analyse traffic is a bonus. Now I have the ability to create VLANs, I'm interested in separating off parts of the LAN to cut down on what must be a large amount of broadcast traffic, and make the router firewall more effective for things I don't have full control over. I'm wondering, based on this LAN, how folks would handle it.

    Excalibur, my NAS, is an all-purpose Linux server with 2 NICs - one dedicated to the host and native services (blue box), the other dedicated to KVM (green box). I've used vlan on KVM hosts at work to create VLAN interfaces on dedicated NICs. Currently everything is on a single flat network, although I've successfully created a test VLAN so I know how (although holy cow the Dell switch VLAN interface is horrific!).

    Having VLAN'd myself into a corner more than once at work, I'd like to avoid doing so at home. We only had a simplistic setup at work - workstations, servers, phones, embedded systems etc. - with fairly easy communications between them. Traffic flow on my LAN is a bit more complex - things like Plex would feed the devices on wifi and the Roku, the PS2 loads games via file serving (SMB) etc, so I'm thinking there would be a lot more inter-VLAN traffic than the last one I set up (mostly cloud, internet access was all people needed).

    Any advice appreciated!

    submitted by /u/gargravarr2112
    [link] [comments]

    Cheapest way to test cat5e for 10gbe speed?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:07 PM PST

    I recently bought a house, that's already wired with cat5e to all the rooms. Longest run is a max of 80 feet (25 meters). While I know that cat6/6a is recommended for 10GBE speed, I have read some reports that people are getting 10gbe over short runs of cat5e. What's the cheapest way to test the existing runs, assuming I don't currently have any 10GBE equipment? I am thinking of buying two thunderbolt -> 10gbe adapters, and simply piping /dev/zero into netcat or iperf. That's about $400 - any cheaper suggestions?

    submitted by /u/i-hate-latency
    [link] [comments]

    Re-working home network - need advice!

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 05:35 PM PST

    I have a functioning network setup at home, with all Unifi components: a USG, three eight port PoE switches, and two AC Pro APs. My controller is running on an rPi4, which also runs pi-Hole.

    I have a single 192.168.1.1/24 network, configured with static IPs for devices where needed (controller, USG, pi-hole, etc), and dynamic where possible. Everything works fine, but I worry about security and being hacked potentially. I'd like to set something up that's a little more locked down, and need some advice.

    I've watched some YouTube videos including this 3 part series from The Hook Up, and the configuration he describes looks appealing.

    What I think makes sense would be:

    • a main network for the family's personal use. Cell phones, laptops, UnRAID / Plex server, etc.
    • a guest network with internet access only - no access to the main network
    • an "IoT" network for devices that need to connect to the internet, but separate from the main network for security reasons. Devices like ecobee thermostat, Google Home Mini, Smart TV, Apple TV, etc
    • an "NoT: (network of things) network for smart devices that don't need internet access, like my Hubitat hub, Philips Hue hub, Lutron hub, garage door opener, etc.

    Not sure if I have the devices in the right subnets, but you get the basic idea.

    I also would like to find a way to make some of the wifi devices 'sticky' so that they attach to the AP that I want them to. In some cases, they seem to get stuck on an AP with a weaker signal. In the video linked above, he resolves this by creating separate SSIDs for each AP, and can then force connect to that specific SSID. Not sure if that's the best way or if there are others.

    Given that my network is currently functioning, is there a way to accomplish the above without taking myself offline and reconfiguring everything on bit at a time? In other words, could I set up / configure the 4 subnets above without putting devices on them, and then move everything over at once? I wonder about using the second LAN port on the USG to configure everything, and leave my existing network in place until everything is set up, and then just moving the cable from LAN 1 to LAN 2, or something like that. My concern is that I have too many devices to try and reconfigure from scratch and it could be days before I have everything back and operational if I have to modify the existing configuration while everything is 'live'.

    One last question - I see people using different subnets beside 192.168.1.1/24. Is this a 'security through obscurity thing, or is there a reason to pick different subnets for different things?

    Sorry for the long post - and thanks to everyone in advance for your advice and opinions!

    submitted by /u/brawny62
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi Extender that won't just create another network?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 02:08 PM PST

    I know that many wifi extenders on the market simply create a new network instead of just becoming an extension of your main network.

    I was just wondering if there were any wifi or mesh extenders that simply latch on to the main network and extend that signal, instead of creating an entirely separate network.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/wiflix_
    [link] [comments]

    Pulling out the rest of my hair, because my internet keeps dropping on static network. Netgear M1 + Archer C7

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:01 PM PST

    Ok, so I've got a weird issue. I keep losing my internet. Well sorta. Let me explain it the best I can without turning this into a novel.

    I have a Netgear Nighthawk M1 4G/LTE modem and a static IP, assigned by my ISP.

    I have a TP-Link Archer C7.

    My M1 modem is in IP passthrough mode, and my router handles all my DHCP, because there are more routing options: port forwarding, static internal IP's, etc. The M1 has almost no settings for advanced routing. This normally works just fine.

    But Recently, we've been getting hit with storms, and if the power goes out, or the router reboots for some reason, whenever it comes back online, I have no internet, and have to factory reset everything to get back online. All my devices talk to each other internally, but I have no connection to the internet. Factory resetting gets me back online.

    Here's my setup....

    M1 Modem gateway is 192.168.1.1

    TP-Link gateway is 192.168.0.1

    Several unmanaged switches throughout my home network, so that everything (tv's, gaming consoles, computers, etc) is wired except for phones/tablets/etc.

    All settings in M1 are disabled, except IP Passthrough, Static IP APN, and the router's IP is set as DMZ.

    When I set up the TP-Link router, it auto-detects that the internet is Dynamic IP, even though I am set up for Static. That's the only way it works. I've tried setting it with my Static IP info, and it doesn't work. It tells me that there is no internet. If I set the router to static IP, it does not work, no matter what.

    So I set the router config for Dynamic IP settings with everything default. It shows my public static IP address in the router at that point, and as soon as I static-ize all my internal devices, everything is back online and working. If I lose power for some reason, or get a firmware update or anything happens at all, I'm back to where I started, with no internet. All my settings are the same, every time

    I have ports forwarded and internal static IP's for xboxes, plex server, and public file server, as well as a hosted webserver. Factory resetting my router every time it reboots is getting tiresome. It has happened several times in the last month, due to storms in the area, and once at random, which I assumed was a firmware update or just some random reboot for whatever reason. I have all my equipment connected to APC Power-UPS's, and everything is set up to shutdown on power loss, so I don't think I'm getting surges or spikes or anything. I'm not sure what's happening, or why I lose internet. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

    submitted by /u/eTxZombie
    [link] [comments]

    how to add a ids/ips to the network for dummies

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 01:54 PM PST

    Hi,

    I'd really like one.

    Something like Sophos XG.

    What I don't understand is: the appliance or the hardware it runs on has to have 2 LAN ports, where do I connect them to? both to the router?

    What happened if the machine doesn't turn on or has a hardware fault? Can the network be configured to be still working?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/horizonrave
    [link] [comments]

    I discovered that my TP-Link DECO M4R mesh router is constantly requesting sites like netflix, bing, amazon etc.

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 11:48 PM PST

    Recently I set up a pihole into my homenetwork to survey the network activity and to block ads, malware sites etc...

    With pihole you can se which device is sending requests. However I saw that my TP-Link M4 mesh system I use as accesspoint is constantly requesting the following URLs:

    Only these 6 domains are requested about every minute. For the last 7 days the DECO M4 has sent over 10,431 requests.

    It does not send ANY OTHER requests! Only these 6 domains.

    I checked everything in my network and even after I shutdown all my network clients the router didn't stop sending those requests.

    Does anyone know anything about this? What's the deal with this?

    Thank you :-)

    submitted by /u/adrianlambertz
    [link] [comments]

    Which Modem To Buy For Spectrum?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 06:03 PM PST

    I am looking to buy a modem to drop the $10/month charge from Spectrum, they gave me this list. Which is the best only modem, the speed is 100/10, but may switch it to higher later on. I know to stay away from the Intel Puma6 Chipsets, and I am considering a CM600. Here is the list:

    • Arris SB6190
    • Arris SBG7580
    • Arris SBG7580-AC
    • ASUS CM-32
    • ASUS CM-32_AC2600
    • Linksys CG7500
    • Linksys CM3016
    • Linksys CM3024
    • Motorola MB7621
    • Motorola MG7700
    • Motorola MB8600
    • Netgear C6900
    • Netgear C7000
    • Netgear CM500-100NAS
    • Netgear CM600
    • Netgear CM700
    • Netgear CM1000v2
    submitted by /u/HillarysFloppyChode
    [link] [comments]

    Powerline into router connection stability

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:58 PM PST

    So im using a 500mb speed powerline adapter and ive noticed the connection is kind of choppy when it comes to play fighting games. I decided to hook the powerline adapter into a router then use a lan port that is 1gb and ive noticed that matches that I play are more stable. Im not sure if its a placebo or not. Did I actually improve the connection? I do notice that videos take alittle bit longer to load now.

    submitted by /u/Dashiusclay
    [link] [comments]

    Do WiFi extenders cut speeds when bringing via Ethernet?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:42 PM PST

    Looking at getting a WiFi extender to bridge my wireless network to a gaming console. It's my understanding that when actually extending WiFi, these devices cut speeds considerably. Is this true when transmitting the signal via Ethernet? And if so, what kinds of reductions do you typically see?

    submitted by /u/schuey_08
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade home network

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:26 PM PST

    Hi all, first time posting here so please let me know if I do anything wrong!

    Currently at home I've got an Archer C7 router in my basement with a wifi extender on the main floor (this router nor the one before could supply a reliable connection to the main floor from the basement). My internet package includes 300 mbps download speeds - I get close to this when standing near the router, but the main floor gets about 20-30 at any time.

    Ive got setup 2 Alexa devices and a Google mini as well as about a dozen or so smart light bulbs and smart plugs combined. We only stream tv through chrome casts or the smart tv, and I'm an active PC gamer.

    Regularly, the wifi cuts out or the connection on the main floor just drops. The wifi doesn't evenly distribute around the house, and often times the speeds slow to an awful crawl and loading images of videos becomes a nuisance.

    All that said, I'm thinking about replacing this router by either a mesh network, a simply better router, or a different setup entirely. Looking for advice in general, which I assume might exist around here already, if I can be pointed in the right direction.

    I appreciate all the help!

    submitted by /u/JayLapse
    [link] [comments]

    Nighthawk AC1900 C7000v2 Cable Modem Router(Combo) slow upload speeds - Need Advice

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:15 PM PST

    Not 100% I'm in the right subreddit, but hopeful someone can direct me if not!

    I have a Nighthawk AC1900 modem/router combo, using Cox for my ISP.

    I like to stream video games both from my computer and the native Mixer app on my Xbox One X. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being able to connect a wired connection to my Nighthawk so I'm pretty much solidified to using 5.0 wireless. Running speed test(M-lab) shows very decent download(like 100+) but upload goes maybe from 0.5 to 2ish, max during some tests were 7-9, but not often.

    Another funny note: Using a native stream(Mixer Xbox App) vs My PC using OBS, it seems like I have very little issue from the PC. The native app tends to want to push out a potato quality 366p res to Mixer platform, trouble is, from what I understand the native app is heavily more dependent on high upload network speeds than using OBS, where you can adjust certain settings like bitrates.

    Any recommendations what I can do in my admin portal(Genie) on my Nighthawk to optimize and possibly increase my average upload speed?
    I've read up a bit. Using alternate DNS servers like cloudflare or google, disabling/enabling QoS(not something I need to concern myself with, I don't think I have any modification of that in my settings), Port forwarding(this one I've heard is really back and forth), MTU settings(again, back and forth), Router mode vs bridge mode, etc. I've have really touch it settings wise as sometimes I'm terrified of just completely bricking it.

    submitted by /u/fryman3000
    [link] [comments]

    Hardware Firewall vs Software Firewall

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:06 PM PST

    Sorry for the noob question, but curious to hear the experts' opinions. I know there are a lot of firewall questions on this subreddit, but couldn't find one that answers my question. I'm slowly easing my way into this wonderful world of Home Servers/Network. Right now my network consists of a Verizon Fios ONT, personal router that has been flashed with DD-WRT firmware, various IoT devices, 3 PCs, various mobile devices, and a couple of raspberry pi (running OMV server, Zabbix Server, and a web server).

    I'm currently using DD-WRT as my sole firewall and using the PPTP VPN server to allow remote connection to my network to access my servers. Looking at everyone's setups on here has made me curious - is it better practice to have a hardware firewall on my home network versus relying on my software firewall?

    submitted by /u/CantCloseReddit24
    [link] [comments]

    Got A Nighthawk R6700, will a Cat7 ethernet cable work? If not, does a adapter weaken the performance?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 06:33 PM PST

    The apartment's cable outlet is in the opposite side of my apartment and I was hoping to use a cat7 (50 feet) cable to put in my gaming PC. Thoughts or concerns I should have? Any advice for a beginner is much appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/danmcfart
    [link] [comments]

    Little help with Hotwired internet

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 06:31 PM PST

    I currently live in a HOA neighborhood that has to use Hotwired internet. I am using a supplied Modem/Router combination model : ZXHN H198A V1.0.1_HWC1T10. It's currently located in the master bedroom which provides poor wireless signal for the house coverage. I have a Nighthawk AX4: RAX40 which I'm using for routing I'm having issues with double nat's and dns issues. I would like to turn off the routing in the modem and use my own router for that. What would be the best solution? Turning off DHCP in the router? I appreciate the help

    submitted by /u/Deathglobe
    [link] [comments]

    Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X as OpenVPN server - stuck at client config

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:53 AM PST

    I just configured OpenVPN on my EdgeRouter X, following the instructions here

    Now I'm stuck at how to configure my client devices. Ultimately I'd like to create config files that I can use for my laptop, tablet, phone; but I'm not sure how to do that. Do I need to Download the server software to create a config file?

    While I'm new to OpenVPN, I'm replacing the L2TP/IPSec that I'm more familiar with but has caused some problems.

    submitted by /u/DanHalen_phd
    [link] [comments]

    Asus GT AC5300 bands disappear with "airtime fairness" disabled

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 05:19 PM PST

    Hello,

    Having a hard time with this router. Saw the other reddit posts to get Chromecast working and wireless extenders communicating I need to disable "Airtime Fairness" on the professional tab. After many reboots and making sure the extender powers on AFTER, it sort of works. Unfortunately the 5ghz-1 band completely disappears or has 1 bar, or the 2 bands go to 1 or 2 bars along with it. Is there any other settings I could check, or should this be returned to the store? There have been bouts of authentication errors from all devices (cells, laptops etc.) with fairness off as well.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Kisuke11
    [link] [comments]

    Need multiple devices attached to same ethernet jack.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 11:17 AM PST

    So this is my setup (no wireless):

    1. Router connected to ONT.
    2. Switch connected to router.
    3. Ethernet jacks throughout the house connected to switch.

    So what I need: I need to connect multiple devices (five) in my entertainment rack (located in my living room) to my Ethernet jack (on the baseboard behind the rack). I may need to use 3 devices at once. What device will a need? I am guessing some sort of Ethernet splitter?

    submitted by /u/BabaOee
    [link] [comments]

    I have a very specific home related networking question. Modem + router combo + Gaming router; Bridged, or Routedwith or withoutNAT?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 05:06 PM PST

    I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of these sorts of things. I grew up with technology but have no formal network training. I have a modem/router combo and I don't use it for Wifi. Currently I have it's wifi functions off, it is an Arris TG1672G running hardware version 6 Software version 9.1.103J6TW2. Now I am running it connected to the cable and running it in RoutedWithNat mode. Nothing is plugged into it except for my RTAC88U which supplies Wifi and wired connections to the household. For the last couple of days I've been having drops for about an hour once or twice a day. I was wondering if this could be the issue. Should I just set the Arris in Bridged mode or should it be fine the way it is set now? Spectrum is telling me it is a problem with my hardware but I highly doubt it. Logic would tell me it would only be providing NAT through the router but I am a little overwhelmed about DHCP or NAT conflicts and can't really get a straight answer from Spectrum.

    submitted by /u/posthxc1982
    [link] [comments]

    Server behind cgnat

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:47 PM PST

    Im trying to figure put how to get out of my cgnat. Im using att wireless lte for our home internet. Our other choice is hughesnet :(

    But im running a blueiris camera system and a plex server.

    I also have a off site blueiris server thats served by fiber and i can forward ports there.

    Both machines are windows 10.

    Is there a way i can either do a reverse proxy? Or tunnel to access my home machine behind my cgnat.

    submitted by /u/brad2388
    [link] [comments]

    Router Advice

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:19 PM PST

    So recently I've been looking at getting a new router (ASUS RT-AC88U AC3100), I've heard good things about it but I was wondering if it would work because I'm on VDSL since I can't get Fibre where I live. So my question is, will this router work if I'm on a VDSL plan?

    Link: ASUS RT-AC88U AC3100

    submitted by /u/ZodHD
    [link] [comments]

    Controlling Devices on the network

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 10:05 AM PST

    Hey,

    I'm a real novice when it comes to networking so bare with me.

    I want to be able to restrict the internet on certain devices at certain times or just when I feel like it.

    I know this is possible with some routers but I dont see any options with mine (it's a generic one from EE a UK isp).

    Is there a third-party app you can use maybe if your router is a pile of turd?

    submitted by /u/tefanol
    [link] [comments]

    Just about convinced that google wifi is the root of my problems.

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 09:19 PM PST

    I have a "smart home," in that it was wired with drops for phone and internet when it was built at the turn of the millennium. Its all cat5e, which is good enough for up to a gigabit in ranges under 160 meters iirc.

    Several years back, my old linksys router died, and Google Wifi came out, so I bought the three puck set and set up a wireless mesh. It did its job, and there weren't any complaints. That was also before I moved into this smart-home.

    I have several devices that need to be wired, and I sorta got into networking as a bit of a hobby (and to expand on networking skillsets in the IT realm, where I work (I was in DOCSIS networking)).

    I built an OPNSense router out of an old computer and an intel 4port nic (all gigabit) and 1 port nic (gigabit), purchased both a Cisco Catalyst and an HP Procurve off of ebay, and I have a 2960 coming in the next couple of days to use as a quieter option for trunking in my office off of the one drop (I've been debating on doing some repunching, since cat5 was also used for the phone drops, so I can avoid needing a trunk alltogether, but whatever right? Practice be practice).

    The network topology is:

    Modem --> OPNSense Port 0 [WAN] OPNSense Port 1 --> TRUNK VLAN100/200 to HP Procurve OPNSense Port 2 --> Not in Use OPNSense Port 3 --> Google Wifi Google Wifi --> 5 Port Unmanaged GigSwitch because Wife throws a fit if her TV suddenly stops working because my hobby is interrupting her relaxation time. :) Unmanaged Gigswitch runs the Smart TV, runs a backhaul for Google Puck #2, Sonos, and right at this moment, this computer I'm using right now. OPNSense Port 4 --> Management OPNSense Port 5 --> Not in Use HP Procurve Ports 1-22 Vlan 100 HP Procurve Ports 23-24 TRUNK VLAN100/200 HP Procurve Port 24 not in use, awaiting 2960 for trunk 

    The OPNSense is running a dhcp server for both vlan 100 and 200. 200 is strictly for the sake of having an extra vlan for when I do work on other people's computers. I don't want their stuff touching my stuff in any way shape or form, which I haven't had much issue with, but what I think I need to do there (and I have a good idea on how to do it) is to simply isolate Vlan200 from communicating with 100 at the firewall module in OPNSense, and problem solved. That's more or less a non-issue.

    The issue I think I've found is the very nature of Google Wifi. Google Wifi was designed to be a standalone, and act as a primary router. There is apparently no way to make Google Wifi not a router, which is aggravating in the least. It worked fantastic before I got into networking, but with a more complicated environment, and the fact that it NATS everything and thus creates a double NAT, it .. yeah.

    So I noticed that the TV in our bedroom had a DHCP lease on OPNSense, but its connected to Google Wifi through a direct connection. Why is it getting a lease from OPNSense and Google Wifi?

    Seeing that caused a light bulb to go off in my head. What if half of the problems I'm experiencing are because Google Wifi is somehow convincing devices on my network to talk to IT for leases, confusing my devices, holding onto MAC Addresses, and causing general dysfunction?

    Since Google Wifi is my wireless solution in my house and I can't make the stupid thing not be a router (I've tried with Google Support, by the way--so either its impossible, or I got the wrong person), I need devices on Google Wifi (kids laptops, tablets, phones) to be able to talk to our printer--which is of course, directly wired on the HP Switch on Vlan 100.

    Devices on Google Wifi can ping devices on VLAN 100. But if that's the case, then it goes the other direction as well, and it does.

    So my desktop currently tied to Google Wifi by physical connection, 192.168.87.x, can see and ping the switch on Vlan 100.

    My mind is going, Dave.

    I think Google Wifi is somehow trying to hand out leases, causing a double nat with my router because a router behind a router without a route for the route causes routing problems I assume.

    How do I:

    a) allow wireless devices on google wifi to talk to devices on vlan 100 b) keep google from heavy-handing my network and forcing a double nat scenario

    I'm about a stones throw away from either selling my pucks or turning them into target practice. I'm working on getting my ISP to hand me the option of a second WAN IP so I can pull Google Wifi and dump it on its own external IP but I am not hopeful that they'll do it. (Actually, the rep disconnected from chat after I started telling her exactly what to do in her system to give me a second IP address after she tried to tell me a technician would have to come out to my house (I know the system my ISP uses, as I've had to build it from scratch before at a previous job)). I kept asking if it was a policy or technical issue. She wouldn't answer, so I told her how to do it. Disconnected. Comedy.

    Am I barking up the wrong tree here or have other folks had this same issue?

    Are there firewall settings I can set to stop this all? Is there actually a way to 'trick' google wifi into just being AP's in a mesh (apparently they do not allow a mesh network without also having the router option turned on...stupid).

    I like having a mesh network. It's pretty spectacular for coverage, but there has to be a better one than Google Wifi's exceedingly dumbed down gui and limitations.

    submitted by /u/CollegiateClam
    [link] [comments]

    MoCA adapters not finding each other but after spending hours searching I can't figure out how they're setup wrong

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 03:28 PM PST

    Pls help... the pics are how I have them setup. It may look like the Coax light is illuminated in the pictures but it isn't

    https://imgur.com/a/fRsiqVH

    Edit: I should add, the modem is getting internet and the WiFi works just fine

    submitted by /u/Cressio
    [link] [comments]

    I have more quizz question i need help on, router, gateway and port forwarding.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 03:22 PM PST

    Hello, i finished my quizz today but there's still some question i feel are either a trap or i really don't know enough on network to understand them completely like the one yesterday. I would be really glad if you guyz could help me out. Those statement need to be answered only by True or false. I'm going to put only the one where i'm really not sure or it will be too long.

    • The ip adress of a gateway must be the ip adress of one of the router network card
      Truth
      Well it need to be part of your subnet for you to reach it so in my understanding it is true

    • The gateway is a mandatory setting on windows
      Truth
      I didn't find any way to delete it on internet and it seems to always revert back to a default gateway.

    • The gateway ip adress can be found in other networks
      Truth
      I mean other network need your gateway adress to find you and you can also have multiple network with the same gateway ip adress if they are set up the same way

    • a machine send every packet that it emits to it's default gateways Truth
      Since it need to go by the gateway to reach internet.

    Done with gateway, now router.

    • The router treat ethernet frame which the adress of destination isn't his
      False
      A router doesn't treat ethernet frame.

    • A router treat Ip packet which the adress of destination isn't it True
      To route them to the correct destination

    Done with the router now Port Forwarding wich i have a really hard time to understand

    • You can with port forwarding change a listening port of a server from the inside or the outside of the network
      False
      It would be bad for security and isn't port forwarding for security?

    • You can acess a routeur from the exterior with port forwarding
      False
      I don't see how and if it was possible i think it will be again a security problem since if you access the router you can change any port.

    • With port forwarding you can only change the listening port of a server from the exterior of the network
      False
      Same reason as earlier and that would go against everything i read about port forwarding.

    I know i'm asking for a lot but i would be really happy with any help you can provide! Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Gilith
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel