• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, August 2, 2019

    Linux Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is here with Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce

    Linux Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is here with Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce


    Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 19.2 'Tina' is here with Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:58 AM PDT

    Best way to set Windows 10 VM in Linux

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm using Linux for some time, though never got into more technical parts. I'm considering removing Windows 10 I have on other partition and moving it into VM (as far as I understand Windows version I have allows me to do so). And there goes my question - what way is the best to do so? I want to keep as much Windows capabilities as possible (ie. I have Huion tablet and Windows drivers are in my opinion way better and would love to keep it, or maybe play some games). So which way should I look - VirtualBox, VMWare Player, QEMU/KVM (Boxes are GUI for that, am I right?) or I have too big expectations and it is lost cause?

    Thanks in advance!

    PS. Not English native, hope I managed to write all that mostly correctly.

    PSS. I know some people might not like sticking with Windows, but a) I own licence, so might use it as well and b) I like some software from Windows and I am comfortable with it.

    submitted by /u/wielblad
    [link] [comments]

    My wife teaches online and the company just switched to windows only. Need help getting Wine to work.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    VipKid was a website only business but the actual classroom is all in flash. I think they copied Chrome and made it into their own .exe but I can't make it work on Wine.

    submitted by /u/reiji47
    [link] [comments]

    Noob can't do anything

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 12:03 PM PDT

    I installed Manjaro on my laptop and I have several problems.

    1. In Octopi there are 568 outdated versions. Nothing happens when I click on install.

    2. I tried to use the AUR. But in the options of Octopi I can't use it because I need Pacaur or Trizen. When I try to install one it says: "warning: database file for 'AUR' does not exist (use '-Sy' to download)"

    3. I tried to update something with: 'sudo pacman -Fy', which says: "repo.herecura.be/AUR.files is invalid"

    4. 'sudo pacman -Sy' says: "repo.herecura.be/AUR.db is invalid"

    I don't know what I'm really doing xD. Where do I need to begin?

    submitted by /u/Tschoeppeli
    [link] [comments]

    Free and Open-Source software list...Add your Favorite program which is available for Linux with there alternative on windows...

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Free Paid/ Only for Windows
    Krita, gimp, paint.net Photoshop
    Blender Maya
    Inkscape Adobe Illustrator
    Kdenlive, Openshot Sony vegas, Premiere Pro
    Raw Therapee, Dark Table Adobe Lightroom
    ClaimAV Quick Heal
    KeePass Lastpass
    AnyDesk TeamViewer
    Audacity Audition
    Google Docs, LibreOffice Microsoft Office
    Handbrake Video Converter
    submitted by /u/mr_whoisGAMER
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a solid Windows user

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:50 PM PDT

    I've been using Windows my entire life and it's really all I know. I'm so used to the interface and when I do my daily activities, I expect things to be in place for example right click on the desktop and create a shortcut or a text file. So fast and easy...

    Now when I open up my Kali Linux to learn how to keep my systems safe, man, it's just a whole different world and the only thing similar is using another persons computer. It's just not YOURS... It doesn't feel right and I feel so lost. How do you do this and that... sigh...

    I love to learn and Linux is like a new toy for me even though I've dabbled in it here and there and for me, it's like riding a bike, you never really forget how.

    It is very different from Windows and seems, in my eyes, to be more for the tech savvy than the average Jim Bob that just wants to make a damn shortcut on the desktop so he can always find his document titled, "I'm a dummy, gimme a break".

    submitted by /u/xCONFLiCTiONx
    [link] [comments]

    Help understanding Xargs

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:21 PM PDT

    I am reading into xargs, trying all types of things and came across this example:

    $ find /path -type f -name '*~' -print0 | xargs -0 -I % cp -a % ~/backups

    Reference. The script finds files in a given path and copies them to ~/backups directory.

    While I understand what the syntax means, what I have trouble understanding is what is the need for '-I % cp'

    That is if what I want is to copy all files to a directory, why when piping the output to xargs in a simple manner, do I get 'cp: cannot overwrite non-directory' ?

    $ find /path -type f -name '*~' -print0 | xargs -0 cp ~/backups

    submitted by /u/orrpel
    [link] [comments]

    Picked up my Linux laptop after years of not using it. Forgot my password so went to go about changing the password from an online tutorial. It worked, however it put me in an endless login loop. I enter the password, the screen would flicker and I’d end up back at the prompt.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    So I created another user via root as a work around. Updated to the latest version of Ubuntu, but the problem remains for the initial user. So I just login with with the new user, called "g" and can download software fine. It prompt me for the password of the most privileged initial user and the password works there. Upon downloading Steam it asked me for the password of "newuser" to get the remaining dependencies. But there's no one named "newuser" and none of my passwords work for that. I don't need the data on here should I just reinstall the OS?

    submitted by /u/Kissquasar
    [link] [comments]

    How do I expand my root partition?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    I'm running low on space for my root partition so I shrunk my main partition down 12 GB and formatted the new space as ext4 and now want to use it to expand root. How do I do that?

    Root partition is /dev/sda6, main Linux partition is /dev/sda7 and the new space is /dev/sda8, all ext4.

    I'm dualbooting Windows 10 and Manjaro if that matters. Running a GParted live USB.

    submitted by /u/YoshiPlasma
    [link] [comments]

    So excited with vala/gtk! Looking forward to make an hobby app with vala/gtk! Help me what kind of apps needed in linux community!

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 03:56 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I'm a developer who loves makes games. I've found a youtube channel and encouraged to make something useful app for linux environment. He is also making a tool like Sketch/XD like UI/UX tool named Akira. This is such a constructive movement and I hope this community grows with this kind of movement.

    Since I'm not an expert like him could you share me app ideas more beginner-friendly that could be useful? It could be take so long time to build it anyway but I want to make an app that could help to people who looking for app development on linux like me.

    submitted by /u/cemuka
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a light distro of Linux with Display Scaling under 100%

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 04:22 AM PDT

    I'm trying to revive an old netbook for use on the road, teaching myself Python. It's a super old 2009 1024x600 netbook and I'd like to decrease the DPI so I can get some more screen real estate out of it. I've tried about 10 distros:

    • Mint Cinnamon
    • Mint xfce
    • LXLE
    • Peppermint
    • SparkyLinux
    • Linux Lite
    • Anti-x
    • Bodhi
    • PuppyLinux(BionicPup)
    • and Core (way too barebones but it's still neat)

    and either I was too dumb to find the screen scaling settings or found them and couldn't get them under 100%. Just a few reminders of what I'm working with:

    Yes, I do know already about the ability to go into Terminal and set the screen scaling to less than 100% manually but... I'd rather not. Would be nice to not have to go through that on every bootup.

    Bonus question: Out of all the above I've tried, I like Puppy the most, so if somebody has a way to scale it down that I missed I'll take it in a heartbeat. Of course, if you have a way better distro to suggest instead of Puppy, by all means, throw it at me.

    submitted by /u/UnknownStory
    [link] [comments]

    What's good free editing software for linux?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:48 AM PDT

    It needs to be able to do masking with complex shapes. So no Olive editor. It needs to work on Ubuntu, so no Davinci Resolve. Kdenlive looks promising but I don't think it has masking

    submitted by /u/Lysiq
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Mint 19.2 and Intel HD 4000 graphics

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    I just installed 19.2 for the first time (with linux in general). My Intel HD4000 graphics aren't recognized and I can't adjust brightness. Are my graphics supported? I keep finding

    https://01.org/linuxgraphics

    but it's not helping me.

    Linux sees my graphics card as "Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Fen Core processor Graphics Controller"

    Kernel is 4.15.0-54-generic

    Cinnamon version 4.2.3

    the processor is an i5-3475s in a dell optiplex 7010 USFF.

    submitted by /u/AppropriateOkra
    [link] [comments]

    WiFi Driver

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    How to install WiFi driver in LINUX MINT 19.1 ?

    submitted by /u/sanjeevj11
    [link] [comments]

    Vlc problem interface(Manjaro KDE)

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    I want to have the controls in the video I try to enable "integrate interface in video"(tool>preference) but don't work. Thanks for your time.

    PS. Sorry for bad English(Spanish) and new in make reddit post.

    This is what I want

    This is the error

    submitted by /u/ivan780
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendations for a kids program refurb'ing donated PCs and learning the basics

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    I'm developing a computer education program for kids that don't have a lot of opportunities. It involves receiving older desktops as donations. Over a few weeks in the course we:

    • tear apart the non-working ones (it's so awesome when they open an HDD to see how it works inside)
    • assemble (working) computers which have been disassembled for them to reassemble (just the basics: HDD, RAM, PCI cards)
    • learn basic computer usage and some programming basics (I'm thinking the snake game in JS, but would love suggestions for an easy/entertaining first programming project)
    • at the end, they get to take their computer home.
    • they have a home programming challenge, and they get a prize if they complete it.

    Obviously we need to wipe each donated computer, and we're not going to be able to get MS licensing to put Windows back on each of them, so I'm wondering if there is Linux distro that is A) most compatible with a disparate hodgepodge of vintage PC's, not requiring complex configuration for drivers and the like, and B) is very approachable and engaging for young minds that don't have a lot of computer experience. Given enough time, I would love for them to have a video editing package and teach them to edit some (low-res) video taken from their ever present phones, so they can see what they can do with their new machine.

    Longtime Windows user, have always wanted to get involved in the open source world, this seems like a great opportunity, please let me know if I'm on the wrong track.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/m_o_n_t_y
    [link] [comments]

    NVIDIA SCREEN TEARING - POSSIBLE FIX + DISCUSSION

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    hello fellow noobs!

    i've recently bulid a new HTPC/home server with a nvidia gpu and enountered some annoying issues while trying to get video output to behave normally with serious stuttering and screen tearing.

    the common fix in windows would be enable vysnc and move on with your life - but its not quite so simple here lol...

    i spent a few days ripping my hair out and testing different setting combinations, but I think I have settled on a suitable solution to my problem and thought i would share to hopefully save some headaches for others.

    I made a post about this on the Ubuntu subreddit but it was mostly me just rambling tbh lol, but I've copied my edits over that contained my solution.

    (I'm unsure if this is common knowledge but I had a hard time figuring this out lol.)

    OS: LUBUNTU 19.04

    SYSTEM: Asrock B450M PRO4 - Ryzen 5 2600 - Nvidia GT 1030 2GB Fanless - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB - Gigabyte NVME SSD - 120GBSeagate Barracuda 2.5" 4TB

    SCREEN TEARING/CHOPPY PLAYBACK FIX:

    i tried adding a few different things to /etc/X11/xorg.conf that didnt really work, like Option "Tearfree" "True" (which i thought was v-sync) but the fix was to enable full composition pipline setting in nvidia-settings manually on start up \every time*.*

    i tried enabling this automatically in 2 ways, but neither worked (bash.rc and xorg.conf). I think its cos there is a pop-up menu when you change the setting... maybe it will get updated some time, but it works now! :D

    there was still a bit of choppiness after that, but enabling OpenGL - Always Use Buffer Swapping and disabling both buffer objects in CompizConfig Settings Manager solved that and made it work perfectly! :)(with buffer objects enabled there was slight stuttering)

    FIREFOX BROWSER ISSUES:

    while testing this fix i noticed there were some issues with firefox browser. this all works on defaults in chrome, but for it to work in FF you must change the hardware accelleration settings from reccommended to manual, and also disable smooth scrolling!!

    (i decided to just use chromium)

    SOURCES THAT I CAN REMEMBER:

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing

    https://youtu.be/V_vLJiJsWQw

    submitted by /u/zzyyxx11
    [link] [comments]

    Program to record PC configs/software versions?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:52 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm looking for a simplish set of programs that I can record about a dozen different PC's configuration status' like software version numbers, USB chipset version, etc.

    Ideally I'd be able to view this data in a web GUI format like what I've seen kabana do.

    Are there any recommendations? I wouldn't mind getting my feet wet in simple database development since this is a pet project and I'd find it interesting.

    Thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/Cat_Autism
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding update-alternatives

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:04 AM PDT

    (tl;dr at bottom)

    Apologies for sounding dumb, but I'm trying to understand Ubuntu's update-alternatives by reading the man pages and I just can't seem to understand it.

    I'm trying to set atom (/usr/bin/atom) as an alternative for editor. There are two ways the man pages seem to be telling me to do it, but I get an error on both that I don't totally understand:

    $ sudo update-alternatives --set editor /usr/bin/atom update-alternatives: error: alternative /usr/bin/atom for editor not registered; not setting 

    There's also update-alternatives --install <link> <name> <path> <priority>, but I can't figure out what it wants for <link>. For all other alternatives it seems to just be a symlink to <path>, which is a bit strange, but I tried creating a symlink and I got an error Okay, now I'm not getting the same error, but it was something like "Max recursion reached". Now I can set the editor alternative to atom, but nothing appears to be different when I try to open a text document.

    I feel like I'm just misunderstanding the arguments... could I get some help, please?

    TL;DR I want to set /usr/bin/atom as the editor alternative, how do I do it

    submitted by /u/Makusu2
    [link] [comments]

    Changing the color accent of my theme (Mate)

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    Hello fellow redditors!

    So my issue is this: https://imgur.com/c759lzB

    I recently changed my theme, and I really like it, except for color of the menu bar.

    Is there a way to change it?

    submitted by /u/thetestbug
    [link] [comments]

    Help with .docx files.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 07:46 AM PDT

    Is there any way to share docx files from one os to another. I'm dual booting Windows 10 with MX Linux. Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Deimosson_25
    [link] [comments]

    Is this my theme or gpu drivers?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/eafkV7v

    This happens to most theme windows. I am on Kubuntu and I never installed drivers for it. It just started working, so I'm not sure what kind of gpu stuff was loaded.

    Also, this happens too:https://imgur.com/o78JApR

    I know it's hard to see, but there's a lot of pixels visible. This happens globally. Is there any way to fix this? If it helps, I have "AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx" on my laptop.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/dripxlife
    [link] [comments]

    looking to write a script that lists other programs based on input.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:39 PM PDT

    essentially i want to type

    applist games 

    and have it return a list of games ive installed, with short descriptions. i know that i can run:

    cat ~/.applists/games 

    and it will return

    games ttysolitaire - solitaire freesweep - minesweeper nethack - roguelike game [... not gonna put my full games list here thats gratuitious] 

    in order to make this program i could add a line to my zsh aliases file which reads

    alias applist='cat ~/.applists/$1' 

    and i think it would work as intended. my question is, is this the best way to accomplish this? would this actually work?

    edit: my alias trick doesnt work. it returns:

    cat: games: No such file or directory 

    but it made me realize that i might not always know whats in ~/.applists ! so now we need another function which lists those items! we could use an if else statement i think. like, if argument equals file in folder, cat file, else list files in folder.

    this is my first time scripting something from scratch.

    submitted by /u/mechroCutie
    [link] [comments]

    What will happen if I will terminate the update in between

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 07:05 AM PDT

    What will happen if I will stop the update from the terminal when the packages are being...

    Q1- Downloading? Q2- Installing?

    submitted by /u/mr_whoisGAMER
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel