• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, August 13, 2019

    Linux How can I still use the command line while something is downloading, instead of having to watch the progress of the download?

    Linux How can I still use the command line while something is downloading, instead of having to watch the progress of the download?


    How can I still use the command line while something is downloading, instead of having to watch the progress of the download?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 04:29 AM PDT

    So for instance, if I'm downloading a video with youtube-dl, then it has the progress of the download in the terminal, and I'm not able to do anything else. I tried hitting Ctrl+Z, which paused the download, I then hit "bg" which is supposed to put it in the background, but it went right back to the way it already was. I know that I could simply open another terminal window, but I'd still like to know how to download something and not have to forcibly deal with having to watch the progress. Also, I know that certain programs have their own specific command to hide the progress, but I was hoping for something universal that I could commit to memory. Thanks for any help guys.

    Also, would anyone mind explaining why trying to put it in the background by pausing it and then hitting bg didn't work? I've used those two commands to put things in the background several times before, so I'm kind of confused on what went wrong here.

    submitted by /u/SylviaNorth
    [link] [comments]

    Terminal Prompt is slow to load

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:03 AM PDT

    My laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep when I close the lid

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 08:43 AM PDT

    When I close the lid of my laptop, it shuts down instead of going to sleep. What can I do to prevent this? I'm on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS.

    submitted by /u/Nath_SoM
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot Install Origin client

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    I want to install EA Origin client in Wine. I tried using many wine versions such as 2.20, 3.5, 4.0.1, 4.9, 4.9-staging, 4.10 and 4.12. The installer crashes in all versions except 4.9-staging but I cannot login to Origins since it says I a offline and have no internet.

    Any help and tips will be most appreciated.

    submitted by /u/trymeouteh
    [link] [comments]

    Is this verification bad?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    I don't have a clue. It doesn't have the words good or bad, here is what came back: G:\ISO>gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-key 27DEB15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09 gpg: key 300F846BA25BAE09: public key "Linux Mint ISO Signing Key root@linuxmint.com" imported gpg: Total number processed: 1 gpg: imported: 1

    Good, bad, or other?

    G:\ is the name of a USB drive where I made the folder "ISO" for the downloaded Linux Mint (Xfce) and the sha256sum.txt and sha256sum.txt.gpg to reside together. Using a Windows 10 laptop to do this. Doing the command things in Powershell, and I am not used to it at all.

    I did these two things:

    G:\ISO>CertUtil -hashfile linuxmint-19.2-xfce-64bit.iso SHA1 hash of linuxmint-19.2-xfce-64bit.iso: 411d485a3ccb779c5070b4da71045a5cf429fc51 CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully. (I don't remember what this was all about.)

    G:\ISO>CertUtil -hashfile linuxmint-19.2-xfce-64bit.iso SHA256 SHA256 hash of linuxmint-19.2-xfce-64bit.iso: 2c1d7912a8e57ccee222487687bab27164c76bd2598395507e461e8d23d381f8 CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.

    This was yesterday. I do know that the second thing has the same number that was on the hashfile. The keyserver thing I did third.

    It seems that GNUPG is called Kleopatra once you install it? That does not make it any easier. It said to verify the integrity of the Gpg4win: https://gpg4win.org/package-integrity.html I was not able to do this at all and my brain is about worn out, probably too old to learn new tricks.

    Any comments would be appreciated. I am going to step away from the computer for an hour. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/old_shart
    [link] [comments]

    cannot enable monitor mode on the lazy script

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 01:48 PM PDT

    i want to run command number 10 wich is handsake. so the scripts asks if i want to enter monitor mode, i select yes, and then it starts and endless loop asking the same.
    i go backm then try stop command. then i try command start ( that says start monitor mode) then it seems to start but i get this all the time

    Enabling wlan0mon...

    Enabling wlan0...

    Done

    Changing mac address of wlan0mon to 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx...

    wlan0mon: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

    wlan0mon: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

    Press any key to go back...

    what happens here ?

    submitted by /u/shinjukumaddo
    [link] [comments]

    Not able to Shrink Volume even after having free space

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    I am trying to install ubuntu for the first time. I am following through a youtube tutorial and I am not able to complete fist step of disk fragmentation. I have about 110 GBs free space but while shrinking volume, I am not able too use the free space. Please Help.

    Free Space

    Only 1863 MBs can be shrinked

    submitted by /u/nylon6780
    [link] [comments]

    Anything that i need to know about installing Manjaro on Laptop? (GL63)

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 01:13 PM PDT

    Hi I'm buying new laptop and i picked variant without OS, bcs it would means loosing performance for Windows 10, so do i need anything about installing Manjaro on it? (i used manjaro and other distros,but on old PC not laptop, and i used Ubuntu Live on my "Old" laptop)

    submitted by /u/TheEpicNoobZilla
    [link] [comments]

    I’m not understanding how to download software

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 01:04 PM PDT

    I'm trying to download the new Blender 2.8.

    I went to their website and downloaded a zip folder which I then extracted onto my Linux files.

    (I don't have Ubuntu or anything like that, I'm using a Chromebook operating system which lets my have a separate folder for Linux apps since it can't register .exe files)

    After extraction, I went to my terminal and typed in "sudo apt install blender". It then began to download and install.

    The icon showed up and it's in my folder! However, when clicked it loads up Blender 2.79? That's not even on my computer so I don't know where it got that from?

    I then typed in "sudo apt upgrade blender" and it proceeded with that. Downloaded and finished and I still don't have the updated version. What am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/williwas420
    [link] [comments]

    Stumped trying to edit the kernel

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    Running RH 7.5

    I'm trying to edit the kernel to allow 32-bit NFS client to operate on a 64-bit OS. I'm reading that if I add "nfs.enable_ino64=0" to the kernel start parameters that this should allow what I need. I've edited the /etc/default/grub file and added the parameter to this line -

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="crashkernel=auto rd.lvm.lv=ol/root rd.lvm.lv=ol/swap rhgb quiet numa=off transparent_hugepage=never nfs.enable_ino64=0"

    However when I run grub2-mkconfig it appears to compile but I do not see the parameter added when I run "cat /proc/cmdline". A reboot doesn't seem to help either. Am I editing the right grub file and am I doing it correctly?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/fickle_fuck
    [link] [comments]

    I want to change the wallpaper after my Grub wallpaper

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 12:16 PM PDT

    Anyone get Linux to boot from USB on a mini PC?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    I'm trying to get Linux installed on one of those mini PC's they sell on Amazon, specifically this one (Beelink BT3 Pro):

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CPZV17

    I used Rufus to make bootable USB sticks for multiple distro's (I'm most interested in trying Mint Cinnamon 19 but I also tried Lubuntu) both 32 and 64 bit, and the little thing just wouldn't see the USB stick in it's boot menu.

    So I'm wondering if there is any way to get it to see the USB stick, or if not is there another brand of mini PC like this that does boot from USB stick so I can install Linux?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Sluggerbaloney
    [link] [comments]

    Changing partition 3 to NTFS

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    So I have to change my old laptop from unbuntu to back to Windows 10 for my mom. When I first set it up, encrypted the entire hard drive and wiped Windows off of it. Now that I am going to reinstall Windows, it says that there's already a copy of Windows on the computer and I only have the option to repair it. however, I cannot repair or wipe the drive because it's not formatted as a NTFS. So, I guess the windows install can't do anything with it in the format it's in.

    Tldr: I need to format my internal hard drive (or only partition 3) to NTFS to reinstall Windows for my mom. Windows bad.

    submitted by /u/WastelandParadise
    [link] [comments]

    I am having problem installing neomutt

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 07:50 AM PDT

    As I was installing neomutt to my system(Mx Linux) and I also have mutt installed. I am getting this error "couldn't execute "xmlcatalog": no such file or directory" from this i am sure that script can't find my the directory for xml catalog but i know that directory and how can i tell script about the directory for xml catalog.

    submitted by /u/NammRoxo
    [link] [comments]

    Brew install error when trying to install ClamAV

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    Hi There!

    I am trying to install clamav using brew.

    $ brew install clamav ==> Downloading https://www.clamav.net/downloads/pr Already downloaded: /home/matthew/.cache/Homebrew/downloads/9f17c556aacba747305bd33278f606d7680cd364e7366308c8e4ce37b263ae8f--clamav-0.101.3.tar.gz Error: An exception occurred within a child process: NoMethodError: undefined method `sdk_path_if_needed' for OS::Mac:Module 

    NOTE: I use Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS x86_64

    How can I fix this? Is there a way for me to manually make sure sdk_path_if_needed is defined?

    thanks in advance!

    cololabor4

    submitted by /u/cololabor4
    [link] [comments]

    Want to search apt, flatpak, and snap in one command?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 10:19 AM PDT

    Here ya go:

    #!/bin/bash function die() { echo "$*" exit 1 } search="$*" [[ "$search" ]] || die "Specify search parameters" echo "## Trying apt ##" result=$(apt search $search) if echo "$result" |grep -vE "^( *$|WARNING: apt|Sorting...|Full Text)" \ |grep -q ... then echo "$result" exit 0 fi echo "## Trying flatpak ##" result=$(flatpak search $search) if ! echo "$result" |grep -q "No matches found" then echo "$result" exit 0 fi echo echo "## Trying snap ##" result=$(snap search "$search") if ! echo "$result" |grep -q "No matching snaps" then echo "$result" else die "No matches found" fi 

    I've been writing shell scripts for 17 years, although I wouldn't call myself a wizard by any stretch.

    I just love coding up little short scripts that do one thing well (the Unix way!).

    I can add comments if anyone wants to read through it and learn a little bit of shell. It's tagged (shebanged) for bash, but there isn't that much bash-specific. I think it would probably work in ksh without error, possibly not sh. I used ksh the most in my old career, so I don't know a ton of the bash-specific fancy stuff.

    EDIT: Fixed formatting. Now gimme my post karma back ;)

    submitted by /u/NerdOfManyTrades
    [link] [comments]

    Backup keeps failing

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:59 AM PDT

    Android Device as a Second Monitor?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 06:02 AM PDT

    Is there a linux OS that outperforms windows in terms of speed and battery time?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    Can I run wannacry on LXD containers without any network and do not worry about my core OS?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 03:20 AM PDT

    I want to try to run malware on my LXD, can it affect my core OS? https://blog.simos.info/how-to-run-wine-graphics-accelerated-in-an-lxd-container-on-ubuntu/ I used this guide, but it adds some Xorg access for the container! Could it be the backdoor to core OS for attackers?

    submitted by /u/DazzlingBelt7
    [link] [comments]

    New laptop can't see other devices on the network.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 11:11 PM PDT

    I was dual-booting KDE Neon on my old laptop and everything there works fine. My new laptop just arrived today and I installed KDE Neon on it.

    The first sign of a problem was that KDE Connect wouldn't work at all. The laptop and phone just couldn't see each other at all. Then I tried to cast a video to my Chromecast and the new laptop couldn't see the Chromecast either and that's when I put two and two together.

    The laptop can't seem to see other devices on the network. It's connected to the WiFi and the internet works fine, but interactions like these don't seem to work.

    Any idea how I can fix this?

    EDIT: Progress! I tried to mount my NAS using "mount -t cifs" and got an error message. Googling that a bit led me to installing nfs-common and cifs. This fixed the NAS connection and the Chromecast issue! But I still can't get KDE Connect to work.

    submitted by /u/AmbitiousApathy
    [link] [comments]

    Need to remove everything with containing TMC

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 06:27 AM PDT

    How do I select and delete evey file that contains the strin "TMC" recursively?

    submitted by /u/Naturbelassen
    [link] [comments]

    Are there software like Deep freeze

    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 06:05 AM PDT

    Are there software like deep Freeze in linux?

    submitted by /u/HappySlime
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a secure, graphical remote desktop solution

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:54 PM PDT

    Hello.

    For a lot of time [my friend and I] used Teamviewer to acess our Server. The issue is, Teamviewer eats a lot of ram (almost 1go !) and we need this ram now. So, we were searching for something more light, but secure too. Before Teamviewer, we installed some RealVNC tool, but many time, it was controlled by someone else. It was not secure. Thus why we used Teamviewer. But now, we need to use something else.

    I tried to use x11VNC (+SSH+SSL certificates), but the client for windows, ssvnc, as a trojan in its zip file. So I just can't use it. Thus my question in the title.

    Thanks for your help !

    submitted by /u/themistik
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel