• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, July 3, 2019

    Trying to set up guest account on comp, instructions not working? Tech Support

    Trying to set up guest account on comp, instructions not working? Tech Support


    Trying to set up guest account on comp, instructions not working?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:28 AM PDT

    Hey, I'm trying to set up a guest account using the cmd lines in cmd administrator listed below as instructed by various accounts but it's not working.

    net user Visitor /add /active:yes

    net user Visitor *

    net localgroup users Visitor /delete

    net localgroup guests Visitor /add

    I can log into Visitor just fine but it can still access my personal files. I don't mind per se if Visitor can or can't download something to a designated download public folder like you would for a public device, but it's more so about accessing my files, even though I know the commands above are supposed to block like all access. Any ideas this isn't working?

    submitted by /u/hahokily
    [link] [comments]

    Some computers on my network say "No Internet, Secured" but can still connect to the internet

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    True to the title, several computers on my internet network are showing the "No Internet, Secured" error when connected, but are still able to browse the web. This might seem like a non-issue, but:

    • Certain applications such as Netflix and the Windows Store will not load in this state
    • Windows Search via the Cortana icon does not work (I cannot even search for installed programs)
    • That exclamation point over the WiFi icon really bugs me, personally

    This is the same across every computer on my network that has this error, but isn't the case with the non-affected ones.

    This didn't start happening until after I moved and bought a refurbished modem (NETGEAR Cable Modem CM500) and router (TP-Link AC1750). I suspect that one of these two devices is the issue, but the problem is that:

    1. I don't know how to tell which is faulty, and...
    2. I believe I'm beyond the refund period (it's been well over a month since I've moved in).

    I've scoured the internet for solutions but can't seem to find many similar cases. Can anyone relate to this issue and, if so, recount how they fixed it?

    submitted by /u/Syihaneth
    [link] [comments]

    Help identifying obscure 1.8" hard drive connection?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:12 AM PDT

    Hi all. I have a Toshiba 1.8" HDD out of a Motion LE1600 tablet that, for the life of me, I can't figure out what kind of connection it is. It's labeled as a Toshiba MK3006GAL, and as best I can figure out uses Microdrive, which is some sort of CF card-esque connector, but I have no idea if that's accurate (edit: it's a 50-pin that has been referred to elsewhere as simply a "1.8" IDE CF 50-pin"). My issue is that I didn't do my homework and bought an Intel SSDSA1M080G2GN 1.8" as an upgrade but it uses a Micro SATA (uSATA) connection. Is there any kind of Microdrive (if that's what the Toshiba actually is) to uSATA connector out there? Or am I out of luck? To be honest this is a pretty low stakes question, because this is just unimportant 15+ year old hardware I enjoy messing around with for cheap, but any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jcpenni
    [link] [comments]

    How does a random insignificant facebook account get hacked?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:51 AM PDT

    I made this random fb account like a year ago just to mess with my friends and whatever. Then, just a few hours ago, it got hacked. I got it recovered though. I didn't even use it for quite a long time. How does that even happen? I didn't even set my email to show on my timeline. The email I used on it doesn't even have the same name! Does Facebook just have a new small bug hackers can exploit or something? The same thing happened to my friend's account a few weeks ago. It's possible it was grabbed by a keylogger. I'm just so confused right now.

    submitted by /u/jericjan
    [link] [comments]

    PC freezes when doing nothing, but never when I’m ingame.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:23 AM PDT

    As title says my PC keep freezing and does not work again until I restart the PC, but aslong as I'm playing games I don't have any problems. The PC is ~ 5/6 years old.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/ntOdden
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 keeps uninstalling my AMD graphics driver update, and/or reverting to a previous version.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:18 PM PDT

    I've noticed this as being a common problem, but everything I've tried hasn't worked. That, or I'm simply trying the wrong solutions. Plus, if it is Windows 10 causing this issue, many articles and threads I've found are out of date with the current version of Windows 10, and so talk about things I can't do on the current version. Such as, dead links in forums, options in settings I don't have, etc.

    My GPU is an RX 580, and here are the updates I'm trying to install. Here's what I've tried so far:

    • Recently I added an entry for "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" in the Registry, and set it to 1. I thought for sure that would fix it, but no. And yes, I'm sure I did it correctly.

    • Tried both the main update and the optional one on AMD's site.

    • Ran the updates as admin.

    • Uninstalled the driver from both the Device Manger and the installer.

    • Various combinations of the above three.

    • This was the first thing I did about a month ago and so I forgot exactly what it was (sorry) but it was about disabling something related to updates in Windows settings. I know it wasn't disabling updates to Windows itself.

    After installing the update, a day or so will pass before the driver suddenly reverts. I'll notice right away because any sort of window I'll have up will stutter when moved instead of moving smoothly, the option to put my PC to sleep will be missing, and I won't be able to open Radeon Settings.

    Attempting the latter when the problem starts will give the message "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware". Then, after uninstalling the driver and restarting afterwards, attempting to open Radeon Settings again will give the message "Radeon Settings and driver version do not match. Please try again after installing the latest update".

    However, Windows 10 will auto-install the driver (just not the update I want, evidently), and according to the Device Manager (which also says the device is functioning properly), it is version 22.19.677.257, date 9/22/17. Besides being unable to open Radeon Settings, everything appears to work normally. With the latest update installed, the driver's version is 26.20.12001.11014, date 6/26/19.

    Other notes and issues:

    • 2-3 times I got error 1603 after installing the update. This doesn't always happen and I'm not sure (or don't remember) what I did differently to cause this, if anything.

    • Once, the installer told me it was unable to install the AMD HDMI audio driver. Haven't had that happen again. Possibly related to the above issue?

    • Maybe this is just me being paranoid now, but after an attempt I made earlier to fix this, in which I uninstalled the driver, restarted, then uninstalled it again, and tried the update (which was immediately reverted upon reboot), I noticed my PC case making a new noise, like a pulsating, but very light, grinding/scratching sound. Maybe it's just a coincidence, or I'm only just now noticing it, but I couldn't have damaged by GPU with these constant uninstalls and reinstalls of the driver, could I? I couldn't pinpoint the source but it sounds like it could be coming from my GPU, or that general area.

    As I finished typing this, I tried simply installing the latest update, without uninstalling the previous one, and the update has so far remained. Pretty sure this was one of the first things I did though. By the end of tomorrow or the start of that next day, it will probably revert again.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/AetherSeraph9
    [link] [comments]

    Spectrum internet (DSL not Fiber Optics)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:01 PM PDT

    I'm having a real hard time these past two days connecting to servers, websites and game launchers on my PC. It will fail to contact them occasionally, but when I'm connected let's say for example a game like rainbow six. I'll take forever to connect to their servers, however once I'm joined in a game my ping is completely normal or not high at all. I don't lag in discord either it's just taking painfully long connecting to steam and websites as well as logging in to games. My download speed when testing is clocking in at 40mb download and 3mb upload. (Vastly better than frontier with 6mb down and 0.5 up) if anyone knows why my internet may be bottlenecking please let me know. I've reset the router multiple time I'm not sure what the issue is.

    submitted by /u/valderun
    [link] [comments]

    After connecting to VPN for 15-30 minutes, Windows 10 shows a "No internet access" error.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 03:46 AM PDT

    When I connect to my VPN service everything works just fine. But then after several minutes of use, I get a network error (Yellow/orange triangle with ! ) on my network status icon in the taskbar. Browsing works fine but certain apps don't work.

    I'm using Windows 10 and I've tried the OpenVPN GUI app and the one provided by my VPN service provider but still getting the same issue.

    Disabling then enabling the network adapter fixes things but then when I connect to my VPN again and use it for 15-30 minutes the same thing happens.\

    I tried reinstalling the LAN driver but I'm still having the same problem.

    submitted by /u/horribleplayer511
    [link] [comments]

    Cross post from r/computers: Tried a new OS, got a new paperweight

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:42 PM PDT

    So I was messing around with a new OS and after messing with it for a bit I realized that it wasn't reading my SSD. I figured I would reboot and switch from legacy to UEFI and see if that would work but this is where it gets weird...

    So upon loading the image or maybe the GRUB (pretty rusty with the jargon please forgive) I realized that only the down directional arrow was working, but I shrugged it off and figured this was a weird TinyCore thing however after rebooting to troubleshoot the SSD issue I found that upon entering my password for the bios I couldn't navigate to any of the tabs.

    I fiddled with it a lot and after some time even the primary numerical keys wouldn't work while pressing shift (my password requires this) so I couldn't log into bios as a supervisor. I finally was able to navigate the tabs using the Fn numlock and secondary numerical keys which also function as secondary directional buttons.

    I finally realized that my bios (seemed to have) reverted back to its original version and long story short I have bricked my Aspire R3 131T. I am now preparing to reset the bios but I fear that this will not work so...

    Any and all help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Crustbukit
    [link] [comments]

    Low health on SSD

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:30 AM PDT

    Hello,i'm using HDD sentinel to chech out my disks health and 20 days ago the health of my 1,5year old SSD was at the 94% and at the last count it fell to 24% Any ideas why would it happen?

    submitted by /u/whitesnake1312
    [link] [comments]

    Internet connection for laptop with SIM card?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:16 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I was wondering if it was possible to connect to the internet without WIFI on a laptop by using something like a SIM card.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/16147
    [link] [comments]

    How can i play audiobooks i own on an iphone without adding the audiobooks to itunes?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:09 PM PDT

    I've tried a couples apps but they all want to pull media from itunes. Is there an app that will let me seperate them? If i can only do it with adding them to itunes is it possible to keep the audiobooks seperate from the rest of the library?

    submitted by /u/makenzie71
    [link] [comments]

    Avast preventing me from safely shutting down

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:16 PM PDT

    I am downloading avast free antivirus for my PC to protect stuff and for some reason it froze at the end of set up and disappeared so I can't manually stop it. Meaning it's not in the task manager. So I try to shut down and I am worried if I should or not because under "Avast Setup" it says "Don't shut down your computer!" so I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/MrYellow01
    [link] [comments]

    ECC Memory errors.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:15 PM PDT

    How can I see from the centos console output which dimm is bad?

    https://prnt.sc/o9up1b

    submitted by /u/Wilsonfromdevon
    [link] [comments]

    Does this SMART data look fishy?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 07:26 PM PDT

    I recently bought a hard drive that is being sold as new a few days ago. Well yesterday I finally actually looked at its values and the number for power on time is... extremely high? It's showing 2 years 245 days and 21 hours. I also went to register it with Western Digital and the automatic response was that it is out of warranty since 2016... I understand that sometimes stock sits around after the manufacturing date, but I don't really know what to make of this. Is it possible that the data is wrong? I get the feeling it isn't. Especially since I've used three different tools (HD Sentinel, Crystal Disk, DLGDIAG from WD) and it's all saying the same thing. It doesn't appear to measure in minutes since I refreshed it and the value hasn't changed at all within the past 20 minutes.

    I bought this from Amazon and I think it was only fulfilled by Amazon. Other than that it seems like it's in perfect condition.

    What do you guys think? I'd really just like to know from someone who has experience with this.

    Data from Hard Disk Sentinel. The raw value of the "power on time" is 000000005B7D

    EDIT: Link to amazon seller: https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2DU7UNTID9QA8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    submitted by /u/groundunit0101
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 Turn on Overnight

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:12 AM PDT

    I work in IT myself but this is a first for my personal computer.

    Woke up this morning with my computer turned on at the login screen, not logged in as a password is required.
    Currently using Windows 10 Pro with hibernation/sleep disabled, fast startup disabled, active hours are 12pm - 6am and automatic maintenance is also disabled.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/xKrygenic
    [link] [comments]

    My PC won't turn on!!!

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:21 PM PDT

    Hi, today my PC chooses to not turn on because why not right!! Yesterday after playing with some friends I turned off the PC normally and slept like a babe but when I woke up I tried to Turn it on but it literally won't, I checked every single port and buttons but all of them seems normal.

    I legit don't know what to do to make it work, any help from you guys ??

    submitted by /u/Y_D_7
    [link] [comments]

    EMERGENCY - windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or corrupt - ERROR 0xc000000D (it's long but please read)

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:03 AM PDT

    This is really complicated so I would very much appreciate it if you read the whole thing, you kinda need to. It's a long one but it's important that you know everything. Thanks.

    Okay,some background. I was watching videos on my PC and after finishing, I went to put my PC into sleep mode. On my PC, I do this by tapping the power button since I have it configured to go to sleep mode when pressed. Usually it works pretty fine, but this time everything BUT the PC shut off. The lights and fans were still on while the screen was black. I thought it might just need a while this time so I left it alone for about an hour and a half to go do something else. I come back and it's STILL yet to do it, so I felt like my only choice was to power it down completely (by holding the power button this time).

    I thought nothing of it, but when I turned my PC on again, it went straight to a blue screen. The blue screen has the error listed in the title, winload.efi is missing or corrupt + 0xc000000D. It had these options: retry (did nothing), boot into recovery (just booted back to the same blue screen), and boot to UEFI BIOS (which is the only thing that works). I must have restarted this thing like 20 times, it absolutely WILL NOT boot. So, I panicked and went into BIOS to see if restoring it to optimized default settings would do anything. Nope. I also tried booting into safe mode but that just sent it straight back to the BSOD.

    So, in researching I found there could be any one of three culprits: 1. RAM (32gb) 2. My HDD (8tb Seagate) 3. Intel Optane

    1. RAM - I began researching both the errors I got (and to clarify I got them both at the same time on the same BSOD). It seems in both cases there are instances where the RAM is the problem. I've noticed a bit more recently that since this BSOD crap has happened my PC beeps twice when booting, so I researched that and in many cases that's also indicative of bad RAM of some kind, but when I have an ASUS motherboard and also read that 2 beeps could just mean the BIOS is working correctly, although I've never heard them until this problem happened. So, it could be or it couldn't be. Not really clear.

    2. My HDD - This is where it got really annoying. So I used my windows disk to see if I could repair anything (I was able to boot to it successfully many times) and I tried the following: Doing Startup Repair - Ran for 10 seconds then said it failed, and the log was empty System Restore - It gave some error about not being able to see the drive or restore points or something like that, I don't remember this one too well but point is it failed. Trying to fix it from Command Prompt - I tried the various BOOTREC commands like fixboot and fixmbr but they didn't do anything since the command prompt was acting like my C: drive didn't exist. For instance, when I tried to do the scanos command it said something along the lines of "Windows installations found: 0". I also tried to rebuild the BCD but I couldn't because it wasn't picking up my drive. Reinstalling Windows - I even tried to just see if I could install Windows again, but of course nothing is that simple. When I tried to it skipped straight to a point where it asked me if I wanted to upgrade my installation and retain my files or do a custom installation and wipe everything. I'm not willing to do the second option (yet) so I tried doing the first but it gave me an error basically saying that I can't. The only option I haven't tried yet is trying to restore from image. Now, thankfully, I was insanely lucky as literally just the day prior to this happening my external HDD did an automatic full-scale image backup. The reason I was hesistant to try the option is because I feared that my external HDD could be messed up in some way as well, so in the mean time (at the time of this post) I'm backing the image file from external HDD to another HDD, just in case something happens to the image on the external.

    3. Intel Optane - Now this is important. After a while I got to thinking. Intel Optane basically deals with both memory and HDD stuff, and the errors I've gotten are known to be related to both of those things sometimes, so I thought maybe if I completely disable Intel Optane from the BIOS it could possibly fix anything. To put it short, it didn't really fix anything but now some things are different. With Intel Optane disabled, I'm no longer getting a blue screen but instead booting to just a black screen. I tried to boot into safe mode again but it just went to black again. So I restarted it for about the 100th time and went to my BIOS because now I have to boot to my recovery disk straight from there.

    I went through all the same recovery fixing attempts again, like Startup Repair, and everything failed again except in the instance of the command prompt. I went in there and tried to see if I could explore my C: drive but it told me it was either unreadable or corrupted (before disabline Optane it wouldn't even find it). I then did some DISKPART stuff to see if it also picked up my drive, and it did, as opposed to last time. It even listed it as "Healthy" when I looked at volumes. So after that I did the BOOTREC stuff again. Surprisingly, both fixmbr and fixboot completed successfully, but unfortunately doing scanos and rebuildbcd both yieled the same "drive is unreadable or corrupted" error. After that I closed the command prompt and then shut down the PC from the recovery menu to see if the fixmbr or fixboot things had done anything, and then something strange happened. My PC did the very same thing that started all this and got stuck attempting to shut down with a black screen. I gave it about 40 minutes but I knew I would have to power it off again so I did, and it doesn't seem to have done any further damage from what I can tell.

    So after that is when I decided to backup my HDD image from the external to another one, since it looked like I was out of options. In researching a little more though I found this program called Rufus that lets you make a USB recovery tool from a Windows iso. I noticed that this program in particular lets you select between MBR and GPT. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe really big HDDs (like my 8TB HDD) HAVE to use GPT. So I thought maybe that was the reason I was having troubles in recovery earlier and I'll just configure it like that and see if anything changes.

    So. I go to boot my new recovery USB from my BIOS and it boots, albeit VERY slowly. I noticed that on the USB it is very very much slower than when I was doing it from the recovery CD, like it took 2 minutes to even properly load the recovery thing. But anyways, upon getting back into the recovery menu I noticed there were some new options, one of which said I could go back to a previous update of Windows. I didn't wanna try anything complex just yet so I just went to the same Startup Repair to see if it would do something.

    And now.. instead of going "diagnosing problem" and then quitting after 5 seconds, it actually seems to be attempting to fix it. It says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

    As of right now this is still going, it's been going for about an hour I think, but I'm not really confident it'll actually fix everything. Granted, if it doesn't I can try the CMD stuff and Windows install again, but I'm taking it one step at a time. But yeah, this is why I made this thread and typed out this ludicrous amount of info for. If this thing doesn't work (and going by my luck it probably won't), I need to know if you guys have ANY idea or opinions on any of this, and any possible further solutions other than the last few ones I've planned out here. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, this has been extremely stressful for me.

    Thanks, and take care.

    Update: The startup repair didn't work, as I thought it wouldn't. I tried to the CMD fixes as well but I've found out that a lot of them won't even attempt to work because my HDD is GPT. So aside from trying and possibly failing to restore from image, I have no idea as to what I can do.

    Please help.

    submitted by /u/somedongus
    [link] [comments]

    Got a decent laptop(1050ti/i5 8300h/8gb) and having very poor gaming performance

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:47 PM PDT

    I just bought an HP Pavilion 15 Gaming laptop and i'm having very poor performance on games. I've already checked the power management options along with the Nvidia settings tweaking(high performance power option and making sure it's using the nvidia graphics card), also disabled windows 10 game bar, clean installed the nvidia drivers, and all the typical solutions. By poor performance I mean I'm having 40-50fps on average on games like League of Legends on low graphics and I do not think that's normal. I've also tried CS:GO and having 30-40fps on the lowest setting also. What could be the problem? Help pls, I want to solve this rather than returning the laptop.

    submitted by /u/minallanmin
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help!!!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:35 AM PDT

    https://youtu.be/DRusA5gvAGo

    I am having this problem since 2 days, i tried reinstalling intel graphic drivers but its still like this.

    submitted by /u/ashfaqtumbi
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop battery not charging.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:35 AM PDT

    I know this is a common problem but please bear with me about this. I haven't used my laptop for the past 15 days and it's battery has been completely drained out. I put it on charge but it says plugged in, not charging.

    I removed the battery and put it back in but it showed the same thing. However, the power LED of my laptop is glowing whenever I plug the charger in.

    Also, I disabled and enabled the battery drivers and it showed plugged in, charging but wouldn't charge at all.

    The battery has been in good condition till now and I don't know why this sudden issue. Please help me out as I don't really want to buy a new one.

    submitted by /u/AakashK12
    [link] [comments]

    New Monitor, PC and setting up Windows 10

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:27 AM PDT

    Hi all! So I got my new PC a couple days ago and have finally gotten my monitor. However, I need to first install Windows 10 onto it. When I plug my pc into the monitor with HDMI, all I get is "no video input(HDMI)". I'm meant to boot from the usb to install Windows 10 but I can't when my monitor doesn't detect the HDMI! Help!

    My specs are Intel Core i5 9400F, with an RTX 2060, power supply is the Vengeance 650M

    submitted by /u/xanderv1312
    [link] [comments]

    Tracing Origin of Email with only forwarded examples?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:23 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    Really appreciate your time, I work in Corporate IT but this is for a friend and I'm a little out of my depth.

    Summary

    • Friend facing criminal charges for 'paying himself bonuses' at his former company
    • Friend has emails from owners of said company authorising him to do so, they claim these are fake
    • This is a criminal case in Australia, so the owners are no longer involved. The state is pursuing charges
    • Without being able to prove the origin of these emails they cannot be used in his defense
    • User no longer works at that company, and only has forwarded examples, obviously they are missing the original email headers.

    I surmise there's nothing I can do to help, just thought I would seek out if anyone has any ideas.

    submitted by /u/CallofClicky
    [link] [comments]

    Made mistake in CMD

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:20 AM PDT

    I saw post about lowering micro stuttering. I put 2 commands in CMD and my bro told me that his games are now lagging. Will I fix problem if I enter those 2 commands in reverse (if I set one to false then I type true)?

    COMMANDS:

    *bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

    *bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

    submitted by /u/akara211
    [link] [comments]

    HyperX Cloud 2 headset not working/detected

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:34 AM PDT

    I own a relatively new Xbox One S and a pair of HyperX Cloud 2s and they very recently stopped working (they work with everything but my controller). I have already pulled apart my controller and adjust the headphone jack but that didn't fix anything.

    However, other headsets and headphones work fine

    Is anyone able to give me any advice/assistance as i would prefer to avoid buying a new controller :)

    submitted by /u/xd-Breadman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel