• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, September 22, 2018

    Laptops How much do I have to upgrade?

    Laptops How much do I have to upgrade?


    How much do I have to upgrade?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:51 AM PDT

    I'm coming from a MacBook Pro 2015 that I bought off my school my freshmen year. I've been able to game on it somewhat on very low/low settings (Divinity:OS, bioshock infinite, dragon age origins/2, Batman Arkham asylum, and barellly tomb raider (2013) are the heaviest hitting ones that I can still get mostly playable frame rates on). I want to switch back to Windows for college and to play more games but I'm not sure how much I need to spend to get a good laptop or which laptop to get. I have a part time job so I just need to know how much I have to budget to be able to buy it by the end of the school year. I want to get a laptop that I can use for school and gaming, so the things I'm looking for most are durability/reliability/warranty because it has to last me at least 4 years, portability (~5lb or less hopefully), minimum of~5 hours of battery for a taking notes and working during class, but also being able to play AAA titles (Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3) on the weekend. Based on my (very) minimal research I'm assuming I need at least a GTX1060 and have considered the Acer Predator Helios 300 2018 because I have amazon prime. I also would like to avoid super gamery aesthetic but that's not too important because I could vinyl wrap it (which I would if I got the Helios 300). Vinyl wrapping a laptop shouldn't be harmful right?

    submitted by /u/lanciente
    [link] [comments]

    Should I Factory Reset my Laptop?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 01:33 PM PDT

    I've had my laptop for about 5 years now (throughout college and first year after graduation). I have a bunch of apps / software / documents I don't need or use anymore since graduation. Main goal, clean up my laptop of junk I don't need or use (mostly everything on my laptop) and make room for the future and faster speeds. Also, what process would I go through for reinstalling necessary systems to make my laptop usable after the wipe?

    I don't know much about what options I have and would appreciate some help!

    Asus with Windows 10 if this helps.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Aredditsquirel
    [link] [comments]

    Lenovo Ideapad 720s 15 review(GTX 1050 TI MAXQ) - almost a perfect laptop ruined.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 02:26 PM PDT

    I purchased this for an all purpose use, multimedia and gaming mostly, I'm a university student and I wanted an all in one package, I did a ton of research on this unit and I pulled the trigger, a quad core CPU, aluminium thin laptop with 10 series nvidia graphics all for less than 1500 USD, Pros: - Great build quality, all aluminium except the screen bezels, very sturdy. - great display, brighter than usual for a 1080p panel, colours are accurate and somewhat vibrant. -Good keyboard, Lenovo always do provide great keyboards. - loud and clear speakers, JBL branded, not that means anything but they are good but distort on loudest volume.

    Now the cons which can be deal breakers for some people and why this laptop is not what people think it is! - 90W power supply provided is not suffiecent enough to power this laptop, honestly no clue why Lenovo did this as this does not really benefit anyone looking to buy a powerful laptop, this is a problem because when you are gaming and you hit full load on the cpu or/and gpu, the power supply can't give more power to the laptop ( this is extremely rare to find laptops that are provided with power supplies that aren't sufficient) this causes power limit throttling.

    • inefficient cooling system and garbage thermal management: this laptop gets extremely hot under load, I measured a max of 87 Degrees Celsius on the GPU and 97 on the CPU, this is beyond safe for the Life of cpu which can cause this laptop to brick up sooner, An i7-7700HQ and a gtx 1050 ti Max Q design, both get hot and throttle considerably, the cpu does throttle and is expected but the real problem here is a gpu, Max Q variants are underclocked versions of their full versions, they are designed for "thin and light laptops" I'm sure max q variants are fine on other laptops but god is it total trash on this laptop, the base clock speed is 1152 hz and this can go up to 1689 hz, it does boost, but only for a max of 10 mins and it falls flat back down to the1152 base, it DOES NOT EVEN CHOOSE A MIDDLE GROUND LIKE MOST LAPTOPS do to ensure performance without scarificing too much, I know this is not a gaming laptop, but when I pay for a product, I'd have it performance as it should and not how it has performed with me, this is easily the biggest dealbreaker here. Lenovo really missed the mark here and wasn't not able to even come close to the dell Xps 15 which is model is in class with , This model did not go well with an undervolt on the cpu and gpu. Minimal changes on temps but same massive throttling. P.S buy the iron grey colour model, it looks absolutely gorgoues, the silver model is very bland and does not look appealing at all with the bezels being black and the body being silver. All in all, this is a good laptop, had huge potential for its price but didn't live up to it due to bad performance and thermal management. Shame but it is what it is!
    submitted by /u/wussgud
    [link] [comments]

    Should I buy the Dell XPS 13 9370?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 02:18 PM PDT

    I've been looking into purchasing a laptop for portable productivity for educational and media purposes. The most important things to me are a good keyboard, touchpad, display, and battery life. I would also like 16GB RAM for multitasking and future-proofing.

    After considering my options, I think I'll be going for the Dell XPS 13 9370, which I should be able to purchase for around £1100 using my student discount and a further sales representative discount.

    Before I make the decision, are there any final considerations which I should be making? I've heard about a few problems with the XPS 13, such as the wifi connectivity, but people have claimed that driver updates fix these issues.

    Should I be considering other 13 inch laptops for the price, or even wait until Black Friday for a better deal? How likely is it that I'll be able to get the XPS 13 for a lower price than £1100 if I wait a few months? I'm thinking it's unlikely, but I'm not completely sure.

    After considering my options, I think I'll be going for the Dell XPS 13 9370, which I should be able to purchase for around £1100 using my student discount and a further sales representative discount.

    Before I make the decision, are there any final considerations which I should be making? I've heard about a few problems with the XPS 13, such as the wifi connectivity, but people have claimed that driver updates fix these issues.

    Should I be considering other 13 inch laptops for the price, or even wait until Black Friday for a better deal? How likely is it that I'll be able to get the XPS 13 for a lower price than £1100 if I wait a few months? I'm thinking it's unlikely, but I'm not completely sure.

    submitted by /u/Blazing_7
    [link] [comments]

    Which laptop should I get?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 07:29 AM PDT

    So I am planning to get a new laptop and I narrowed down to 3, but I couldn't decide which to pick from. These 3 laptops are similar in specs and price range under ~700.

    I am a casual user, I don't play games or run intense programs, I mainly use it for documents, photo, and video edits with adobe suite. I do use my laptop very often and I am often on-the-go, so I will need a laptop with a good battery life and portability.

    If you guys have any better options, I am happy to take a look but please be under 800 :) Pls help

    1. Lenovo Thinkpad E585 (or the A485)
    • AMD Ryzen 5 2500U + Vega 8
    • 15.6" FHD IPS 1080 (or 14")
    • Non backlit great spill proof keyboard (with backlit)
    • 8GB DDR4 with extra slot
    • 500GB 7200rpm HDD, SATA3 + SSD slot
    • 3 Cell 45WH (3 Cell 24WH + removable 6 Cell 48WH)
    1. Dell Inspiron 15 5570 (2 configs same price)
    • Intel i5-8250U, (Intel 620 / AMD 530)
    • 15.6" FHD
    • Backlit keyboard
    • 8GB DDR4 SODIM with extra slot (4GB )
    • 2 TB 5400rpm HDD + SSD slot (1TB)
    • 3 Cell 42WH
    1. Asus Vivobook S15 5510UA
    • Intel i5-8250U + 940MX
    • 15.6" FHD narrow bezels
    • Backlit keyboard
    • 4 GB DDR4 with extra slot
    • 1TB 5400rpm HDD + SSD slot
    • 3 Cell 42WH
    submitted by /u/louiseianab
    [link] [comments]

    How to migrate OS to M.2 SSD on laptop

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:11 AM PDT

    Hello, I just bought a 500gb m2 ssd to upgrade the one currently in my laptop ( lenovo yoga 720), my laptop only has 1 m2 slot which is occupired with my current ssd, with no hard drive. I was wondering how i would migrate my os onto my new m2 ssd because i dont have a second computer. how would i go about this ?

    submitted by /u/Perro547
    [link] [comments]

    Ideapad 720s 14" Vs Yoga 730 15.6"/13.3"

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:38 PM PDT

    So basically I'm trying to replace my Lenovo Y700 because it's bulky (nearly 6lbs) and gets 3 hours of battery life

    I narrowed it down to these 3 I was considering a Yoga 730 13.3"/15.6" but people say the battery sucks at 7-8 hours (little low for an ultrabook) I don't really need the 2-in-1 since I have an iPad (I had a surface pro and hated it) so if the Yoga is as good as my iPad then I might sell the iPad

    My main objective:

    I take my ipad to school on a daily and it's the best way to take notes (I write on the powerpoints I rarely ever type since our desks are small) but then I'd like an actual laptop to take to the library right after class and do heavier studying/editing etc.

    When I go home I'd like to connect to a 24" monitor for studying/light gaming (fortnite) (with an eGPU) - I assume both Ideapad and yoga can connect to a eGPU? Can the RAM be upgraded on either model? I have an extra 8gb 2400mhz stick laying around and these all seem to come with 8GB only Or is the MX150 on the Ideapad enough? I currently have a 960M so Idk how that compares

    I also require a MATTE/Anti-Glare screen, FHD, no other demands. I'm not too picky on speakers, etc.

    the Ideapad 720S is advertised as 14 hours of battery life on lenovo's website, is this true? I'm leaning towards the Ideapad or 13" yoga because they're both <3.5 lbs whereas the 15" yoga is 4.2 Also what is this about X2 TB3 vs X4 TB3 I keep hearing about

    What are other pros/cons of each? Like I said I don't really need the 2-in-1 functionality of the yoga but if its there its there.

    submitted by /u/bladeroyce
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard stickers for foreign gaming laoptop

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:32 PM PDT

    I bought a Lenovo y530 in Portugal but am an english speaker. I used some labels for the number of keys for the different layout. But I'm looking for something with a cleaner layout. Any premade stickers out there. Glow in the dark would be nice.

    submitted by /u/PeterCastiglione
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for used slim laptop for word processing only, suggestions please!

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:58 AM PDT

    Hi, i'm looking to buy the slimmest/lightest and *cheapest* laptop i can that will be used only for word processing (and light internet usage). I have looked at the new chromebooks, but then thought that a used Lenovo (or something) might get me a system with a better build quality - keyboard and weight are the most the important things to me (and I like the apple chiclet keys, or something similar to that - low profile, nice travel, pleasant tactility etc). I'd like to know what is the best value used slim and light laptop at the moment - and i5 or lower is fine (amd is fine too). So what's the used bargain of this year and how much should i be expecting to pay? Would consider new, but not sure i'm going to get the build quality of a used system.

    submitted by /u/Snappy_Darko
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking a saving up for a laptop that I could use for composing and school. Any suggestions?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:57 AM PDT

    I'm wanting to get a laptop that would run finale music software well and that I could also use for school. It doesn't need to be too expensive, but I'd like for it too run smoothly and maybe have a touchscreen. Do y'all have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/T5U99
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I go for laptop insurance/warranty (UK)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:06 AM PDT

    My manufacturer year warranty is coming to an end on my laptop and I'm looking for alternative places to cover it.

    Something often goes wrong with the laptops I buy, so warranty/insurance is kind of a must.

    If I take out the care plan with pcworld it will cost me £200 upfront but that's for 3 years so works out at around £66 a year. So far that's looking to be the best deal.

    Does anyone know any sites that offer better deals than this?

    submitted by /u/sandervich
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop Advice for College Student

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:38 AM PDT

    So I purchased an ASUS Q304UA before going to college a year or so ago. It's always run kind of poorly and I've never been the biggest fan of it. Everyone that I know has MacBooks and seem to never run into any issues.

    Now, my ASUS has basically broken down and stopped working. I have been told by ASUS support that I will have to get it serviced on my dime for it to work again and I will probably lose all of my data.

    My question is, should I just throw in the towel and ditch this shitty laptop? Or should I pay to get it repaired and keep dealing with it? And if I were to get a new laptop, should I go in for a MacBook? They seem very reliable and user friendly. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cbarber13
    [link] [comments]

    Student looking for laptop help

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:01 AM PDT

    Hi guys, as stated in my title, I'm a student looking for any advice on laptops.
    My only real needs are that it be lightweight, have a decent battery life and stays relatively cool with prolonged use. An SSD and competitive price are bonuses, as is the laptop remaining competitive for at least three years. I'm looking to use it for photo/video editing software in the same vein as photoshop; if it can play games that's a bonus. I'm looking for a Windows OS although I am open to others.

    I'm in the UK and have a budget of around £1,700, although the cheaper the better. I have been looking at the Dell XPS range as they seem to be suitable for what I need so any information or personal anecdotes about the XPS13/15 are very much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

    TL;DR:
    • In the UK
    • A Budget of £1,700 or less.
    • Lightweight, good battery and staying cool are a must.
    • SSD, competitive price, good endurance and continued relevance are a bonus.
    • Photo/Video editing capable.
    • Windows OS although open to others.
    • Ability to play games is a bonus.

    submitted by /u/Defiant_Tomato
    [link] [comments]

    Best laptop brand?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:00 AM PDT

    A newbie here, and thinking to buy a new gaming laptop but I have no idea on what brand to pursue since a there's a lot in the store.

    Is there anything that makes a brand (for example, Asus, Dell, etc) that makes it different from other brands? Suggestions or models recommendation would be appreciated! <3

    submitted by /u/roymason
    [link] [comments]

    Medion Erazer stuck in sleepmode

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:50 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit, I have a new laptop (Medion Erazer P6661) which has worked fine for the two weeks I've had it for, but something weird happened. I closed the laptop to move it around, unplugged it and moved it to another room. Naturally, the screen went black and the laptop went to sleep mode or hibernating mode, like it should. Normally, pressing the power button once turns it back on. However, this time, it didn't. I tried pressing every single button on the system, but nothing worked. I tried plugging it in and out, but nothing worked. The LED on the power button is flashing, and that's it. If I hold the button, it does not turn off. It's completely stuck. I tried holding the power button for over a minute, but it didn't turn the laptop off. I can't access any of the hardware unless I unscrew the bottom plate of the laptop. I'm currently on vacation, so I can't exactly take it to the store at the moment. I think I'm pretty screwed, but maybe there is some tech wizard who knows a solution I don't know of yet. I connected my smartphone to my laptop, but it just started charging. It actually charges up fast, so I may be able to drain the battery this way. Long story short: My laptop is stuck in sleeping mode and doesn't wake up or shut down. I can't access any interfaces. The fans are not on. This is what I tried already:

    Unplugging the power adapter and plugging it back in

    Pressing CTRL+Alt+Delete

    Pressing every FN+F# combination

    Pressing every individual button on the keyboard

    Holding space for 10 seconds

    Holding the power button for 1-60 seconds

    Pressing the power button multiple times

    Connecting my laptop to my Acer Transformerbook

    Connecting a mouse, headset and smartphone

    Opening and closing it multiple times

    If any wizard here knows something I could try, I would appreciate it a lot. I'm kinda stuck.

    Additional specs:

    Intel i5

    NVidia GTX 960M

    Windows 10

    SSD + HDD

    submitted by /u/lwdr
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop fan noise help HP-ay127ca

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:01 AM PDT

    Hi,

    My laptop seems be making alot of noise from the fan for some reason, its a a whirring noise that gets louder as CPU performance increases I believe. I opened it up to see if there was some sort of intrusion, that maybe the fan was not spinning, though that wasn't the case. I even cleaned out any dust in the area.

    Anyone have any suggestions as to what this noise from the fan area could be and how I could fix it? Would replacing the fan possibly fix it? Would it even be worth the cost? The laptop works fine regardless, I just find the noise to be annoying and inconvenient for anyone around me.

    Edit: Moving the laptop in different positions, flipping it and whatnot, causes a shift in noise, seems random either a reduction or a increase in noise.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/nakx123
    [link] [comments]

    Regret for purchased the Thinkpad E485 with AMD Ryzen 7 2700u

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 06:33 AM PDT

    I just bought a thinkpad and i stated to regret it after use for 1 month. I experience some problem when playing youtube video, the bluescreen pop out.

    As a student studying computer science, I cant fully use the function of Android Studio.

    I can't even using android emulator like nox player. I alway get blue screen when i opening the player.

    *For who planning to buy a new laptop. GET INTEL PROCESSOR

    submitted by /u/wengkitt969696
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 is a communist

    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 05:47 PM PDT

    Looking for a laptop for work but also light gaming. i5-8250u and (Geforce MX150)(Acer Aspire) vs A12-9720(RX540 GPU)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 06:08 AM PDT

    Hoping to run easy games like OW, R6 Siege and the occasional strategy game. Which would you recommend?

    Note:the A12 is clocked at 2.7 and i5 is at 1.6.

    submitted by /u/Garrus_Vak
    [link] [comments]

    GPU momentarily crashes under load (Lenovo Y700)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 05:36 AM PDT

    Hey there ,

    I've had this problem for a while now that when I put the GPU under stress , it seems to shutdown for just a brief moment , switching to the on board Intel graphics and switching back again. That is usually enough to crash whatever game I am playing.

    I have updated all my drivers and even formatted the laptop and nothing changed.

    I even thought it might have something to do with thermal throttling so I opened him up cleaned all the dust and while temps look good the crashes persist.

    Anyone with any knowledge or insight to this problem will be really appreciated.

    submitted by /u/turcruo
    [link] [comments]

    Need a good laptop for max 500€

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    my old laptop died today and I really need a new one because it's really important for university.

    I live in Germany and MediaMarkt currently offers some very good deals.

    I don't need the laptop for playing games, just for usual stuff like excel, word, PowerPoint, YouTube, Netflix etc.

    Any laptop that you guys can recommend? Or any stats that I should look for (like 4GB Ram or something else) ?

    I would really appreciate your help!

    submitted by /u/Dbdokkan123
    [link] [comments]

    Chromebook for student

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 03:05 AM PDT

    Sister needs a laptop.

    She'd use it for watching movies, accessing Microsoft classroom and downloading PowerPoints from lessons. I assume she would also want to do some homework on it (think word processing, making PowerPoints, doing research online) I was thinking Chromebook as budget is an issue and she's not the type to play games or download her own software. No touchscreen, she would want the battery to last her through a school day of use. Size: 15" Budget: £600 ($785)

    submitted by /u/DWscrub
    [link] [comments]

    Is this SSD compatible with my laptop?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 02:22 AM PDT

    Question from a newb: is this SDD compatible with my laptop?

    📷

    Hi r/laptops

    I have zero experience with hardware modifications on PCs. I would like to replace the old HDD of my ASUS N550JV-DB71 laptop with an SSD.

    I consulted this video where the guy fitted the same laptop with a Crucial M4 256GB SSD

    I would like to fit my laptop with the "Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA 7mm Internal SSD"

    I have a few questions:

    1. Will the Crucial MX500 SDD be compatible with my laptop? (Does it have the same installation characteristics as the Crucial M4)
    2. I watched a video that recommended a USB to SATA adaptor to transfer the OS to the SDD. Is it necessary? I'd like to avoid buying extra parts if possible.
    3. I'd like the SDD to last me for a long time, and be relatively future-proof. Do you think that this SDD will last me 7+ years?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/spaceshipcabbage
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS Vivobook Spin 14 Micro USB and USB C With USB Devices (A???)

    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 10:25 PM PDT

    I have external drives with USB A - flat. I need to plug them into this ASUS Flip 14, which has micro USB and USB C.

    I've found micro USB male to USB A female (OTG) converters. Will those work to let me plug in my USB A external HD cable to this computer?

    For the USB C, I need USB C male on one end to USB A female on the other, right?

    submitted by /u/fjccommish
    [link] [comments]

    Best Laptop for Adobe Premiere + After Effects?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 01:11 AM PDT

    Pretty much down to i9 macbook pro with 32gb ram and 1tb ssd versus the dell xps 15 fully spec'd, any other recommendations? looking for the best of the best

    submitted by /u/undeterminedceej
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel