• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, September 22, 2018

    Simple Questions - September 22, 2018

    Simple Questions - September 22, 2018


    Simple Questions - September 22, 2018

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 05:12 AM PDT

    This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we strongly suggest checking the sidebar and the wiki before posting!). Please don't post involved questions that are better suited to a [Build Help], [Build Ready] or [Build Complete] post. Examples of questions:

    • Is this RAM compatible with my motherboard?
    • I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1070. Which one should I get?
    • I'm on a very tight budget and I'm looking for a case < $50

    Remember that Discord is great places to ask quick questions as well: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/livechat

    Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

    Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/buildapc mods? We welcome your mod mail!

    Looking for all the Simple Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? This link is now in the sidebar below the yellow Rules section.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Finally Upgraded! (HD 6970 ---> GTX 1060 )

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 05:10 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, i finally upgraded my gpu from an old hd 6970 2gb to a gtx 1060 6 gb. I just wanted to share my joy with you all, Have a nice day ! pic : https://imgur.com/uz1rU5Y

    submitted by /u/phel06
    [link] [comments]

    How much bending of cables is acceptable?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:15 AM PDT

    Cobbling together a build from spare parts I had lying around and I bought one of the cheapest, decent cases I could find.

    The cable routing holes are rather close to the mobo, forcing me to bend the 24pin connecter quite sharply to have decent cable management.

    Is this bend too sharp?

    submitted by /u/FrostByte62
    [link] [comments]

    A huge thank you to this community

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:16 AM PDT

    I just finished my build today, I was upgrading my old gameing rig, and the thing is now a behemoth from what testing I have done. Thank you for the recommendations!

    EDIT - https://imgur.com/a/HMwUTnx A picture of the build

    submitted by /u/rangerhoover
    [link] [comments]

    While attempting to install Windows 10 on my parents old computer using a flash drive, I have gotten it to boot using the USB, however it just keeps showing the windows screen and then rebooting

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:39 AM PDT

    First build, monitor displaying “no signal detected.”

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:26 AM PDT

    I'm using a Radeon RX 570 Graphics Card, AMD Ryzen 5 CPU, and ASUS Prime B450 Plus Motherboard

    Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

    Edit: Removed GPU and plugged monitor into motherboard. It is still not working.

    submitted by /u/WrinkledWatchman
    [link] [comments]

    1080 or Vega 64?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:40 AM PDT

    What are your recommendations???

    submitted by /u/Starler
    [link] [comments]

    [First Build] Any last-minute feedback before I start buying?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:22 PM PDT

    In particular I would appreciate a go/no-go on compatibility to supplement PC Part Picker

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $164.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $49.99 @ Newegg
    Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $127.99 @ Newegg
    Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $167.99 @ Amazon
    Video Card MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB $189.99 @ Newegg
    Case Thermaltake Versa J21 Tempered Glass Edition $39.99 @ Newegg
    Power Supply EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $33.99 @ Newegg
    Total $774.93

    submitted by /u/Zhaligkeer318
    [link] [comments]

    GTX 1060 or RX 580?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 06:11 AM PDT

    Found a MSI 1060 6GB Gaming X for 180. I aswell found a MSI RX 580 Mk2 Armor 8GB for 180 . Which should I buy?

    submitted by /u/thebadlemons
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any reason to pick the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q over the Dell - S2716DG 27.0"?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:07 PM PDT

    I'm asking because they have the same specs and the Dell has amazing reviews, but I see guides recommending the Asus as the best gaming monitor for 1440p. Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/Hmltdhsbndtossaway
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth exchanging my ryzen 5 2400g with a 2600x?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:16 AM PDT

    I got the 2400g because I wanted to wait for gpu prices to drop. Now I bought a rx 580, and in some games the framerate is abysmal, like ac origins. My gpu is nowhere near 100% usage, and obviously the cpu is the bottleneck. Now I have the possibility to sell my 2400g, and for 100 dollars more I could get the 2600x.

    I found not enough benchmarks online to make a decision, is it worth it to switch CPUs? What are your experiences?

    submitted by /u/Johannesboy1
    [link] [comments]

    Did I just accidentally overclock my monitor?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 04:40 AM PDT

    I was messing around with the settings of my monitor (in the NVIDIA Control Panel), and I noticed that it let me create my own custom resolution and frame rate. I created one that was 1920x1080 at 75 Hz, and it successfully went through. It seems like using it makes things kinda smoother, but I can't tell if that's purely placebo or not, as I feel like it might still be doing 60 Hz with 75 Hz of info.

    ...that is, unless I overclocked it this way, and I really AM seeing 75 Hz?

    submitted by /u/d64chad
    [link] [comments]

    Hardware stores in Europe

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:38 AM PDT

    What are some good hardware stores in Europe. Amazon in my opinion is overpriced so what are some good online stores (or local but in Luxembourg)?

    submitted by /u/UnselfishGreenberg
    [link] [comments]

    New PC never felt this good. Thanks to this awesome community!

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 12:54 PM PDT

    I've been a part of this sub for about two years but I finally managed to get my own.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
    Motherboard MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
    Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $0.00
    Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
    Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card Purchased For $0.00
    Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
    Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $0.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-22 15:50 EDT-0400

    I bought this PC and upgraded the cpu from 1500x to a 2600. Also switched out for faster ram. Everything cost ~$850. Hoping it can last for at least 4-5 years on 1080p med/high.

    Idle at 34 and 72 under load.

    Shoutout to this super helpful community for giving me suggestions.

    submitted by /u/Agaac1
    [link] [comments]

    I really need help with my gaming/editing build (long post). Thanks for your time!

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:34 AM PDT

    Hello guys.

    I've been trying to come up with the best possible build for a 1300 euro budget (about 1400 dollars) for some time now and I think it's going well. My goal is to be able to play demanding games on full graphics or older ones, heavily modded (TES Skyrim for example), while also being able to comfortably edit large files (been working on a map which has a 2 gb size in Photoshop right now) in Photoshop and Illustrator. I know that an Intel CPU can handle these tasks with easy as well, but most of the time I'll be working on both Adobe programs and probably InDesign too, so I wanted to make sure that I'll not face any issues. The above and budget limitations made me go for Ryzen 5 2600X. Wrote that to avoid the Intel vs AMD discussion as it really isn't the purpose of this post.

    So, I'm posting my list from PCPartPicker and the questions I have, hoping that I can get some useful feedback. FYI, my monitor is a Philips LED 231TE4LB/00 (1920x1080 / 60Hz).

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $219.89 @ OutletPC
    Motherboard MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $119.99 @ B&H
    Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $167.27 @ Amazon
    Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $87.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.89 @ OutletPC
    Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card $499.99 @ Walmart
    Case Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case $99.98 @ Newegg
    Power Supply Corsair - CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $1313.99
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-22 12:50 EDT-0400

    So now that you can see my build, I'd like to ask a few questions.

    1. I know that this pretty general and probably depends on your answers to my other questions, but is this a good build overall? Not only in terms of being VfM (well, maybe with the exception of the graphics card), but also regarding the quality of the selected items, experience you may have with them etc.

    2. Are my parts compatible with each other? When I put them on pcpartpicker I get the following message: "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled." To my knowledge this is nothing to worry about, everything is gonna work well together and I'm just losing one of the six SATA ports my mb has. Apart from that, is there any compatibility issue I'm missing? I'm gonna talk about my monitor and GPU separately.

    3. Will the parts fit inside my case? I'm asking cause it's a relatively small midi tower. I know that the most important thing is to compare the case size with my GPU. The manufacturer's site mentions these numbers: Case dimensions (LxWxH) 395 x 212 x 440mm (http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c-tg) while my GPU's size is CARD DIMENSION(MM) 279 x 140 x 42 mm (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-8G/Specification). Is there anything else I need to compare? My mb is ATX so I don't think it'll be a problem.

    4. Now, about the GPU and the monitor. I was able to find the gtx 1080 for about 520 euros and since it's just 50 euro on average more expensive than the 1070, I think I should go with it. I see it as a more "futureproof" purchase as the GTX 1060, for example, is probably absolutely fine for now but will inevitably fall off later. My problem is the monitor. As I've already told you, I have a Philips 231TE4LB 1920x1080 / 60 Hz. I know it's bad but I got it free some years ago and I've been using it ever since.

    Is there 100% going to be screen tearing with this GPU and if the answer is yes, will V-sync and its downsides practically make the card a bad purchase? I'll definitely be looking for a new monitor but it's not going to happen so soon (need to get the actual budget first after the purchase of the entire pc and better monitors are actually really expensive) and I thought that it'd be better to get the gtx 1080 now, seeing this as a more solid investment. Is it stupid to buy the MSI gtx 1080?

    5. About the compatibility of the two. According to the monitor's manual it supports 1.4a HDMI (although it says HDMI 1 on the back - I figure that's common) so my question is, will the GPU be compatible with an HDMI cable and if yes, what kind of cable do I need exactly? Because there are so many and I didn't need to do research about this in the past. Found a cable called ""HAMA 122104 HIGH SPEED HDMI CABLE PLUG - PLUG ETHERNET GOLD-PLATED 1.5M". Is it a good choice?

    6. For the RAM, I've chosen the "G.Skill Flare X 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)". I'm trying to figure if it's compatible with the MSI X470 Gaming Plus, here's the results from their website (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-14) : https://imgur.com/a/n0lKOvH I want to be able to have my ram run at 3200 MHz with A-XMP.

    7. Has anybody tested the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) with this mb? It's not on the QVL list, but it's a lot cheaper. Is there any way for it to reach 3200 with the a-xmp and be stable? Has anybody tested that?

    8. Is my PSU enough for this build? I just want to make sure I've made the right choice. I know that the 650W option is the standard for this kind of build and I've also used a PSU calculator. Here's the result: https://imgur.com/a/wESaZQr What's your opinion?

    9. Will my CPU bottleneck my GPU (assuming that I go for the MSI gtx 1080) ? I've not read anything about any potential problem and I'm not really concerned but I'd be nice to get some feedback, just in case.

    10. In case I want to replace the stock CPU cooler with a Dark Rock 4 in the future, would there be a problem with my ram sticks? I don't know if they're low ram sticks or if I'll even need to have low ram for this cooler to be installed.

    11. Finally, I'd like some recommendations regarding a new monitor. I'll be playing both FPS games (like LoL) and RPG games (like TES and Dark Souls). Should I get a 1440p, 60Hz monitor or a 1080p, 144Hz one? I'd love some suggestions on specific monitor, too!

    If by any chance you've reached the end of this list, I'd like to thank you for reading through this wall of text. I really need your help guys and hopefully I can get some answers soon and finally purchase my pc.

    submitted by /u/Negative00
    [link] [comments]

    Can I improve this computer?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 03:57 PM PDT

    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QNyTjygonna overclock, use this for gaming and editing

    submitted by /u/five_zer0
    [link] [comments]

    Post 2: GPU stopped giving signal two days ago, Intel Graphics followed suit yesterday.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 01:43 PM PDT

    Posting this again as the first one didn't get any attention.

    Here's my partlist

    My 970 stopped displaying video (no signal), so I switched the HDMI cable over to the mobo slot and it worked (intel graphics). I checked the device manager and the 970 wasn't showing up. Yesterday, I found my handy dvi-to-hmdi adapter and tried it on the two dvi ports on the GPU, no luck. After this, I took the GPU out, got rid of some dust and put it back in to no avail. I then took out the CMOS battery and put it back in after 30 secs to see if that would work and, you guessed it, no luck.

    Now, after accepting that my GPU is most likely dead, I put the HDMI back into the mobo and now nothings showing up there either.

    I've also tried unplugging the cable and holding the power for 1 minute, nada.

    Is is a faulty mobo? I can't tell.

    submitted by /u/SmokeDogeEveryday
    [link] [comments]

    Gigabyte Z370 component melted off

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 01:22 PM PDT

    Just finished this build earlier today, fired up and smelled smoke, looked inside and saw a component fall off and land on the backplate of my GPU. This component doesnt even look burned, and the board has no scorch marks or other damage. No shorts anywhere or anything touching metal. Literally just unsoldered itself and fell off.

    Anyone ever see anything like this? I've never had this happen in my 15 years or so of building. I'm wondering if it was a bad solder joint or something and the resistance melted it off ?

    https://i.imgur.com/Wdh4h0f.jpg

    submitted by /u/Sureshot02
    [link] [comments]

    HDD or SDD

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 09:35 AM PDT

    I got an SDD, but do I need a hard drive along with it? And is it also necessary to have that thermal stuff along with you for your Intel core?

    submitted by /u/RMYOAO
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice on a build

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 10:28 AM PDT

    I am seeking advice on building a new computer, I am looking to play games at 1080p high settings record 1080p, and already have 3 monitors and I looking to upgrade to 1440p 144hz for my main monitor sometime soon. My budget is 1750-1900

    Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FgFqw6 (Also case is pulling up wrong and is 50 on Amazon)

    This is the monitor I am looking to add later https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg

    submitted by /u/Passing_Neutrino
    [link] [comments]

    Is this PC good?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 03:18 PM PDT

    Was just wondering if it was good/compatible before I buy parts since I'm not sure how accurate compatibility on pcpartpicker is

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $98.89 @ Amazon
    CPU Cooler Corsair - H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $139.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $123.91 @ OutletPC
    Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $354.99 @ Newegg
    Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
    Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
    Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card $699.99 @ Monoprice
    Case NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.00 @ B&H
    Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $149.89 @ OutletPC
    Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $124.79 @ OutletPC
    Monitor Alienware - AW2518HF 24.5" 1920x1080 240Hz Monitor $384.98 @ OutletPC
    Keyboard Razer - Huntsman Wired Gaming Keyboard $149.99 @ Amazon
    Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse $49.98 @ Amazon
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $2506.18
    Mail-in rebates -$40.00
    Total $2466.18
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-22 18:17 EDT-0400
    submitted by /u/secretboyeofmeme
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrade to R5 2600 ?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:23 AM PDT

    So i can get an R5 2600 + b450 mobo for very cheap something like 140 bucks would you recommend it over my I5 6600 ?

    submitted by /u/Rokuo25
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading to GPU RX580/1060 on my Samsung CF390 Freesync, will Freesync work?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 03:04 PM PDT

    Good day everyone, I currently have a CF390 24" monitor with freesync and planning to upgrade my GPU to a 1060 6GB or a RX580 8GB. My system is a Ryzen 5 1600 with 16GB of RAM used mostly for gaming and virtualization.

    I would like know the following:

    Did anyone manage to get freesync to work flawlessly (freesync is stable) on the CF390 family of monitors (21", 24", 27")? What settings or software did you use?

    Is it worth the hassle to get freesync to work on this monitor? If not and both cards can provide 1080p/60 fps with fluid fps on most games, should I get the 1060 6 GB if it's cheaper (30$ less where I live, Perú)?

    Thanks in advance for your answers!

    Edit: I understand freesync will only work with the AMD card. I'm asking because I read some people having trouble using freesync on this monitor.

    submitted by /u/Fox-SAF
    [link] [comments]

    I never had a gaming mouse before but I’m starting to look into some

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 03:01 PM PDT

    I heard Logitech mouses are pretty good. I mainly play league of legends like a lot but on the side I play borderlands, Minecraft, pubg.

    I play on high sensitivity with minimum mouse space and I have a palm grip.

    I'm looking for a mouse that can change dpi, has at least 5 buttons and and has a good response time

    submitted by /u/Killpoopoo
    [link] [comments]

    Gtx 1080 + 4k monitor

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 02:53 PM PDT

    Like that title says i have a gtx 1080 and am looking to upgrade my monitor. Right now i have a ips 1080p 60hz display and am interested in getting a 4k 60hz display. I don't think i would get anything larger than 28 inches. Do you guys think that this would work?

    Other specs:

    I5 8600k@ 5ghz

    16gb ram @ 3200mhz

    2tb hdd

    256 gb sdd with windows

    submitted by /u/xsupremeleader
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel