• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, September 25, 2018

    Drinking the Juniper Product Line Networking

    Drinking the Juniper Product Line Networking


    Drinking the Juniper Product Line

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:47 PM PDT

    A loooooong time ago, a Juniper SE told me that, once upon a time, all the Juniper product lines were named after gin-based cocktails (gin being liquor made from juniper berries) and that part of the interview process in the early days was "drinking the product line."

    The M-series was named after the martini, the G-series named after the gimlet, the T-series a gin and tonic, etc. This is also where Olive comes from (olives being a typical garnish in a martini).

    I've kept this story in the back of my mind for years and never really thought to question it, but it came up in conversation and one of my colleagues called bullshit on me and Google isn't helping me to validate.

    Anyone care to confirm/deny?

    submitted by /u/notsostubby
    [link] [comments]

    Webex Teams is down

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:16 AM PDT

    For the last 12 hours at the time of this post: https://status.ciscospark.com/incidents/6gzfst6ls3n5/

    submitted by /u/lofresojr
    [link] [comments]

    Meanwhile, over at Cisco...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 06:38 PM PDT

    Cat 6a or Fiber 1GB? Is cost justified?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 03:31 PM PDT

    Aside from less interference, what would other reasons to install fiber vs Cat6.

    Currently trying to plan out new cable runs to connect 3 buildings in the same property together. Old owner ran cat6 straight outside (lol) no conduit or outdoor rated cable.

    My question is, if we're doing fiber and using a SFP adapter that is limited to 1GB. What is the advantage other than signal loss if we just do Cat6a?

    submitted by /u/SSJ_5
    [link] [comments]

    Tool to scan for subnets that overlap?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:59 PM PDT

    We have to do an audit on several hundred networks, I am wondering if anyone knows of a tool to search a list of subnets, and see if there is any overlap, i.e. 192.168.1.100 is part of 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.1.64/26.

    It would be quite time consuming to check all of these IP addresses, thanks.

    submitted by /u/JR3037
    [link] [comments]

    Meraki MX and SX

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 02:04 PM PDT

    What's the consensus today with Meraki MX firewalls and the SX switches? Over the last couple years I have had many colleagues and friends tell me to run and never look back. We currently deploy their wireless AP's and cant see we're disappointed with them. Our Cisco SE has been pushing management on them and I would like to hear some feedback from the community.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/k0nf1gt
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco ACI L2 Out

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 01:20 PM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    Im planning to setup a ACI Fabric with 4 spines and a bunch of leafs and want to stretch a L2 domain to some legacy cisco 3850 switches out of the aci.

    as ACI is acting in that case like a Ethernet Hub it will forward BPDU Packets over the Fabric, but will, as it doesnt support it, not be part of the spanning tree.

    has anybody already expierience with such a architecture or similar? How do you rate the chance of a loop if STP fails?

    cheers

    submitted by /u/Shadow_65
    [link] [comments]

    So, networking mishaps....

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:15 PM PDT

    Just a post to get some funny stories of networking

    I'll even post this first one.

    I had just started working at this place (a very well known research university!), been there a few months.

    We had a pair of Cisco 7609's as our border routers. The plan was to upgrade them in a month or so, but we had to get larger compact flash cards (from 128 to 256 Mb) cards. We bought some at lunch from Fry's (as the Cisco branded ones in 2005 were EXPENSIVE), and when we got back from lunch, I talked with my two fellow network folks, confirmed with both of them that just ejecting and inserting the new CF cards would have zero impact on the routers. Stopped by and told my boss (the assistant director of networking) what I was going to do. Calmly went into the data center, walked up to both border routers, ejected the existing CF cards, inserted the new ones, and went back to my desk to format them, get the new code on them, and get them ready for the upgrade in a few weeks.

    Sat down, and started getting the pages from our monitoring system that everything was down. And I mean, EVERYTHING.

    Well, apparently, there was a "feature" that if the router detected non-Cisco compact flash, it "could" reboot. Unfortunately, I did the OIR on BOTH border routers, because, what could go wrong?

    Immediately got up, went to the data center, followed by my coworkers, the assistant director, and the director of networking. I explained what was going on, what happened, and why it happened as I was replacing the blank/new compact flash with the original, as it had the IOS and a backup of the configurations (just in case).

    TL;DR - Put brand new, non-Cisco compact flash into BOTH Cisco border routers, causing them to reboot. At 2:00 PM, on a school/work day. At a research university.

    submitted by /u/ro_thunder
    [link] [comments]

    On a link that never experiences saturation (zero output drops), does a QoS policy affect traffic at all?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 09:20 AM PDT

    I'm working with all flavors of Cisco gear (3560 / 3650 / 2960 / 3750 / N7k / N9k), reading through End-to-End QoS Network Design.

    Consider two links, both uncongested (defined for this purpose as zero output drops):

    1. default config, no QoS. Plain FIFO.
    2. QoS applied with multiple queues, classes, and other stuff like WRED/CBWFQ.

    Again, both links so far report zero output drops.

    How do these links behave differently, if at all? Is QoS active even without saturation, or does it only take effect when buffers begin to fill to a certain capacity?

    submitted by /u/austindcc
    [link] [comments]

    CSR Generation Firepower

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:55 AM PDT

    Can someone give me an idiots guide how to generate my CSR on firepower for my anyconnect users? There seems to be no way to just generate a CSR, like you could when setting up your URL for anyconnect on the old ASDM. Everything I'm reading seems to point me at OPENSSL, and my balls ache more and more each time I look at trying to get this certificate generated.

    Any advice is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/sg4rb0sss
    [link] [comments]

    Nuage Expands in the SD-WAN Fray

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:52 PM PDT

    Fully-featured solution makes life interesting for Cisco and VMware.

    http://www.futuriom.com/articles/news/why-nuage-is-escalating-sd-wan-battle/2018/09

    submitted by /u/jimbridger67
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Password Recovery Accessing a 3850

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:42 PM PDT

    Hello all! I've inherited a network with ... a few issues. Our TACACS currently isn't working, so that's currently shut off. I want to ensure I can at least access my switches both locally through the console and remotely using the local user.

    For one pair of switches though, I've got something odd. It allows me to log in using the local user/password, but when I try to enable to priv exec mode, I get "Error in authentication". Now, since TACACS is off, I'm guessing someone messed up an Enable or Secret password along the way.

    The kicker is, when I try to perform the steps for password recovery, I never get an "Enter initial config dialog" prompt. For reference, I follow these steps: power on, mode button, flash_init, switch_ignore_startup_cfg=1, boot flash:packages.conf. (I also tried adding switch_disable_password_recovery=0 after ignore startup config to no effect.)

    Whenever I boot to the flash:packages.conf, it loads up as normal to the default banner/username prompt.

    Thoughts? (Note: I won't be able to post a config due to company policy. I know, I'm being a pain, sorry.) Should I try booting to a different flash image? Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/LnGrrrR
    [link] [comments]

    Avaya Design/Management Software

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:08 AM PDT

    I have been tasked with finding a design/management solution for our Avaya network. I have been eyeing Avaya Aura Orchestration Designer. Before I got in too deep with the resellers for that software, I was wanting to get your guys' opinion Avaya Aura Orchestration and if you knew of any other software that might be a better substitute.

    Edit1: I will add that I am wanting to use this software for viewing the health of the network and possible click on the device to configure.

    submitted by /u/Neggly
    [link] [comments]

    Portsecurity on Nexus C3064PQ

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 10:32 AM PDT

    I get:

    SW1(config)# feature port-security ^ % Invalid command at '' marker. SW1(config)#

    we want to limit this thing to 1 MAC / Port but I have no clue right now what I'm missing, this is what the online cisco documentation for nexus 300 said.

    Software BIOS: version 4.0.0 NXOS: version 7.0(3)I4(6) BIOS compile time: 12/05/2016 NXOS image file is: bootflash:///nxos.7.0.3.I4.6_compact_N3064.bin NXOS compile time: 3/9/2017 22:00:00 [03/10/2017 07:05:18]

    Hardware cisco Nexus3000 C3064PQ Chassis Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU P4505 @ 1.87GHz with 3903304 kB of memory. Processor Board ID FOC17366Z4Y

    someone got an idea for me? I cannot find anything on google that leads clearly somewhere...

    cisco stated on their website this feature is included with no license needed.....

    submitted by /u/wauwuff
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco IP SLA: NoConnection/Busy/Timeout

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:32 AM PDT

    Hi.

    I'm running second-hand 3925E and have another issue (on 15.7.3). This time it's related to IP SLA.

    Check the related config :

    ip sla 1 icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-interface GigabitEthernet0/3 timeout 6000 frequency 10 ip sla 2 dns www.google.com name-server 8.8.8.8 source-ip 1.2.3.5 source-port 1024 timeout 6000 frequency 10 track 10 ip sla NUMBER reachability delay down 5 up 5 ip sla schedule NUMBER life forever start-time now route-map ISP2 permit 10 match ip address 40 match interface GigabitEthernet0/2 route-map ISP1 permit 10 match ip address 40 match interface GigabitEthernet0/3 access-list 40 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 ip nat inside source route-map ISP1 interface GigabitEthernet0/3 overload ip nat inside source route-map ISP2 interface GigabitEthernet0/2 overload ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet0/3 1.2.3.4 track 10 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet0/2 5.6.7.8 5 

    Now to the issue. I'm testing the functionality by issuing shutdown/no shutdown commands on both primary (GE0/3) and backup (GE0/2) WAN interfaces. Procedure:

    • shutdown of GE0/3. After 6 seconds, default route is replaced by the backup one. Everything works fine;

    • no shutdown of GE0/3. Backup route isn't removed from the routing table. I get the following results after issuing show ip sla statistics:

    i

    IPSLA operation id: 1 Latest RTT: NoConnection/Busy/Timeout Latest operation start time: 18:48:38 GMT+1_DST Wed Sep 19 2018 Latest operation return code: Timeout Number of successes: 151 Number of failures: 143 Operation time to live: Forever IPSLA operation id: 2 Latest RTT: NoConnection/Busy/Timeout Latest operation start time: 18:48:39 GMT+1_DST Wed Sep 19 2018 Latest operation return code: Timeout Number of successes: 101 Number of failures: 136 Operation time to live: Forever 

    I think "ip sla 2" worked for 1 or 2 toggles, while "ip sla 1" fails immediately after toggling the interface.

    Of course, before switching interfaces on and off, both IP SLAs report correct stats.

    Now, I've seen BUG1, BUG2 and some older ones but it looks like 15.7 should not be affected.

    Any idea what to do now?

    EDIT1: Typos, formatting fixed

    submitted by /u/marek1712
    [link] [comments]

    Small Office - VLAN or not to VLAN?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:54 AM PDT

    We have a lot of small retail offices throughout the country.

    Soon we'll be deploying VOIP at the sites (2 phones).

    Right now the networking infrastructure is a single ASA 5506 on a flat network (no vlan)

    Devices:

    ASA 5506

    2-3 computer

    1 terminal to take debit/credit payments

    1-2 printers

    And in the future, possibly IP cameras

    Ignoring IP cameras because its not 100% guaranteed. Should I be getting a managed L3 switch like the Cisco SG350 (Any recommendations would be great)... I can't get anything to expensive because of budget constraints.

    Or...should I just stick with the ASA 5506...the only concern with this option is some sites have more than 8 devices which eat up all the ports on the 5506...for those sites i'll be forced to slap on an unmanaged switch on to the 5506 for VOIP which will not be good...

    Any suggestion/recommendations would be great!

    submitted by /u/Hayabusa-Senpai
    [link] [comments]

    PCF on AWS Questions/Challanges

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:50 AM PDT

    Whats the proper way of setting up PCF on AWS, and dealing with the issues of IP white listing.

    Any guide, tut or book related to this.

    Your time appreciated.

    submitted by /u/SettySatt
    [link] [comments]

    Cisco Help with a networking project?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 01:05 PM PDT

    I'm currently a student taking Cisco 3 connecting networks and scaling networks. I need to design a network that's compatible with 4 locations and a headquarters.

    This design is also for a hospital so it needs to be secure, and needs to be able to hold 500 users with an increase of 10% in 10 years. I've already got the design and schematics of everything using packet tracer.

    My question is how many users can be placed on one Virtual Private Network?

    I have at least 8 VPNs and I've done my subnets using 10.10.0.0 network.

    submitted by /u/babyxmara
    [link] [comments]

    Weird packet lost. Looking for some input.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:07 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Like me start by saying I'm not an network expert but this situation got me scratching my head and you guys might be able to help.

    The infrastructure is 4 switches (Dell 2848). 2 For the LAN and 2 for the DMZ (for redundancy. Different subnets). Each switch goes into the firewall (Watchguard) into their own NIC. (With link-aggregation).

    This setup has been working fine for 2 years. Since last week we get intermittent high latency then loss of connection. This happens randomly and normally last less then a couple of minutes and come back on its own. We lose connection to both DMZ switches and all servers inside the said DMZ.

    Here's what Nagios is reporting:

    [09-25-2018 09:13:06] SERVICE ALERT: prd-server;Ping check;OK;SOFT;2;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.45 ms

    Service Critical[09-25-2018 09:11:09] SERVICE ALERT: prd-server;Ping check;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 28%, RTA = 2206.04 ms

    Service Critical[09-25-2018 09:10:52] SERVICE ALERT: prd-server;PHP Error Logs;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out

    The problem seems to only be touching both the DMZ switches and server located in the DMZ. The only thing that was changed was 3 days prior we enable Bridge Multicast Filtering and IGMP Snooping Status with Auto Learn.

    Could it be a dying firewall that have trouble routing packets between the subnets ? Dying switch ? Multicast problem ?

    Thanks

    EDIT: I've disabled Bridge Multicast Filtering and IGMP Snooping. Will see if it fixes the issue

    submitted by /u/Quack66
    [link] [comments]

    BFD over MPLS

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:27 AM PDT

    First time poster here. We have a network running MPLS with LSPs that are protected by dynamic bypass. When a physical path goes down the LSPs utilising that path will go down but the traffic will move to the bypass LSPs (Fast Re-Route). This action takes some time so there is a brief period of packet loss, normally sub-second.

    My question is if we have BFD running over L2circuits on the MPLS network what should the timers be configured to so that the sessions stay up while Fast Re-Route occurs? Is setting the timers to a value just greater than the RTT of the L2circuit a good place to start?

    Any guidance appreciated. Cheers

    submitted by /u/lead_farma
    [link] [comments]

    VPN Placement at Hub

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:26 AM PDT

    I was wondering how are you guys planning your firewalls for VPN connections . Ive never had to nat before( i know how but every place i worked at only used public IPs) so im not to sure how to go about this.

    Should i be placing the VPN firewall at the edge talking to the ISP instead of my router? Or can i get another public IP and associate it to my Firewalls private ip interface with a destination NAT. Or use public IPs between my VPN Firewall and WAN router

    submitted by /u/debug_all
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone got experience with Cyberoam?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:04 AM PDT

    I'm working with a customer that have several IPsec tunnels to other sites and they use a SSL VPN to their office. They want to be able to use their SSL VPN through the IPSec tunnels. This should be rather easily done I believe. I have no experience with Cyberoam products but I know they have a webgui where you do most of the configuration from.

    Can I use NAT on the SSL connection to trick the IPSec tunnel or should I just add routes between the tunnels?

    submitted by /u/frallan123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel