• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, April 23, 2018

    Linux The Linux Filesystem Explained

    Linux The Linux Filesystem Explained


    The Linux Filesystem Explained

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 08:02 AM PDT

    Is There a "Breaking-in" Period for Ubuntu LTS (or just distros in general) and if so, About How Long is it?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 08:34 PM PDT

    I had been planning on installing 18.04 this coming week once it comes out, but it occurred to me that even with the testing that's been done leading up to this point, users will probably run into issues once it's released, because finding new and inventive ways to break things is what users do. Is there a typical waiting period after a new release after which most of the major breaks will have been discovered and fixed, or can I be reasonably confident installing it as soon as it's available?

    submitted by /u/Kaiapuni
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with creating a Windows 10 USB in Ubuntu

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 01:48 PM PDT

    I tried unetbootin and USB creator but I can't get a working usb. I also tried fat32 and ntfs for both. Any one know how I can get it working? I don't want to install a PPA.

    submitted by /u/GellyGel
    [link] [comments]

    Ncmpcpp Library Problems

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 01:39 PM PDT

    I think I've set it all up alright, but when I launch ncmpcpp it doesn't detect any music. Here are my configs.

    mpd.conf

    1 # File Setups

    2 music_directory "~/Music"

    3 playlist_directory "~/.mpd/playlists"

    4 db_file "~/.mpd/database"

    5 log_file "~/.mpd/mpd.log"

    6 pid_file "~/.mpd/mpd.pid"

    7 state_file "~/.mpd/mpd.state"

    8 sticker_file "~/.mpd/sticker.sql"

    9

    10 # Connections

    11 bind_to_address "127.0.0.1"

    12 port "6600"

    13

    14 # Permissions

    15 user "ivy"

    .ncmpcpp/config

    1 mpd_host "127.0.0.1"

    2 mpd_port "6600"

    3 mpd_music_dir "~/Music"

    submitted by /u/iiPlasma
    [link] [comments]

    VPN troubleshooting?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 12:41 PM PDT

    I've been using OpenVPN on Ubuntu for a while and it has always worked fine, it's stopped connecting lately though without me having changed anything. I couldn't really parse anything useful from the system logs.

    submitted by /u/vivivox
    [link] [comments]

    Linux beside Windows 10

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 12:14 PM PDT

    I installed Linux after Windows 10. But I am not seeing any bootmanager, Windows 10 start always as default OS.

    Only if I press F12 on startup to select the boot option I see two options.

    1. Windows Boot Manager
    2. HDD ( I am not sure whats the correct nama )

    If I select HDD, Grub appear and I can select between Windows and Linux.

    I want remove the Windows Boot Manager, so the grub should start as default boot option.

    How can I fix this?

    submitted by /u/akifxy
    [link] [comments]

    Arch, how do I remove GNOME completely and use XFCE in it's place, and how do I fix the time in XFCE (it's reading 4 hours faster than it should be)?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 11:20 AM PDT

    Local time: Mon 2018-04-23 15:16:05 UTC Universal time: Mon 2018-04-23 15:16:05 UTC RTC time: Mon 2018-04-23 15:16:06 Time zone: UTC (UTC, +0000) System clock synchronized: no 

    systemd-timesyncd.service active: no RTC in local TZ: no

    The panel reads 11:16 AM - which is wrong, obviously.

    Edit: I'm a fucking idiot re; clock - my fix was to remove and readd clock applet.

    Still no word on these two other things.

    submitted by /u/iamthefishlord
    [link] [comments]

    Tried recovering my administrative password and things are not looking good for me

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 05:19 AM PDT

    So I recently changed my administrative password and screwed myself in the process by forgetting it 1 hour later.

    I used this guide in order to regain access to the account and somewhere along the way screwed up.

    After booting into GRUB and unsuccessfully changing the password via the first two methods I tried the last (and very dangerous) method.

    Being extremely careful, I successfully edited the /etc/shadow file. Well, it turned out to be a half success. I was able to create a new password via:

    passwd username

    I can access administrative settings via my Standard user login so I know the password is working, but I can no longer access the administrative account itself, where all my files reside. Typing in the password only sends me back to the login screen, even when the account is configured to automatically login.

    My gut is telling me a fresh install is the only fix, but my penis is asking me to try here before I have to go through the whole process of reinstalling and configuring everything.

    Is it a lost cause?

    submitted by /u/JFKfanboi
    [link] [comments]

    I use Btrfs instead of ext4 on a spinning HD. Should I not?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 10:38 AM PDT

    Are there performance (file read/write speed) differences between Btrfs and ext4? Are there Btrfs features not present in ext4 (Yes, I know there are, but do those features benefit laptop users without RAID setups and not running any server)? Are there HD life expectancy differences, like, does one wear out an HD faster than the other? Which one is more resistant to data corruption due to crashes and other unexpected things? Which is more stable?

    Or maybe there's an even better alternative for people like me (who do care about the latest technologies--tech-savvy, you might say) who don't care about RAID and servers but do care about those concerns mentioned above? ZFS, maybe? I really don't know.

    Can I please have your opinion? :)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/OrthographicCube
    [link] [comments]

    Difference in cached ram, Why?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 10:32 AM PDT

    I have 2 identical servers running CentOS 7. Both are using different amount of cached memory.

    App01 is using 14GB for cache and App02 is using 5GB

    [root@App01 ~]# free -m total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 15770 633 300 32 14836 14751 Swap: 7999 0 7999 [root@App02 ~]# free -m total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 15770 861 9445 40 5464 14560 Swap: 7999 0 7999 

    Why is there such a big difference between these two?

    Running services: App01 - Plex - Tautulli - AutoSub | App02 - Transmission - Sonarr - Radarr

    Is there a way to keep the cached ram to a minimun because LibreNMS no thinks al RAM is used. I'm a real linux amateur, so sorry for asking.

    submitted by /u/svenvg93
    [link] [comments]

    [archlinux] Duel-booting an HP Chromebook 11 G5, but it isn't taking any keyboard input?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 05:46 AM PDT

    Pretty much the title. I have an HP Chromebook 11 G5 with an intel inside. I want to duel-boot, and have gotten all the way to actually installing it (did it all myself too, which im pretty proud of, as i am very new to linux). I am installing it on a flashdrive, so i can remove it when i don't need it.

    The problem i am having though is that when i get to the first installation command line, it refuses to accept any input from my keyboard. i have no idea what to do, any help is good help.

    The only thing i haven't tried is plugging in an external keyboard, but i don't have enough usb ports for 2 drives (install and duel-boot medium) AND the keyboard. Any suggestions on that front will be very helpful as well. Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/CreepnGames
    [link] [comments]

    Mac OS X programs on Linux ?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 10:55 PM PDT

    Question: there is WINE to run Windows programs on Linux. Is there a program that does the same for Mac software ?

    submitted by /u/Naturist02
    [link] [comments]

    WIndows and Linux - can I afford it?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 08:37 AM PDT

    I am not sure how much space linux like Ubuntu can take with some files. I have 80 GB of free space on my hard drive total. Should I go for dual systems?

    submitted by /u/NiMPeNN
    [link] [comments]

    Differences between directory references?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 07:33 PM PDT

    I haven't completele grapsed the difference between the following

    "/home/username/directory"

    "/home/username/directory/"

    submitted by /u/siksniper1996
    [link] [comments]

    Aircrack-ng failed to spawn binary: no such file or directory

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 07:39 AM PDT

    Recently in archlinux32 I updated Aircrack-ng from the AUR, and it gives me the error

    F: Failed to spawn binary: No such file or directory

    I've reinstalled it, rebooted my computer, cleaned the cache, but it keeps saying that error. This happens since aircrack-ng-git-20180422.237e361c-1 .

    submitted by /u/EstebanZD
    [link] [comments]

    Need help replacing windows with Linux (Solus)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 07:08 AM PDT

    Some background:

    I'm new to Linux, I had a dual boot system a few months ago but switched to just windows after a few problems with the bootloader. As far as knowledge is concerned, I'm a 1/10, I guess.

    What happened is, I was trying to dual boot solus with windows 10. I wanted to use Linux for everyday tasks and windows purely for Adobe stuff / gaming.

    So I grabbed the live disk, proceeded to (try to) install Solus as it looked very nice with the new budgie desktop. Trouble is, the installer is pretty unfamiliar because I've only used debian based distros until now.

    Instead of the familiar "something else" option, I was presented with A dual boot option, an Erase and install fresh solus option, and Add mount points option. I do not dare try the second one, so I attempted the first as it seemed pretty harmless. However, the installer ignored my 20gb unallocated partition and asked to resize C drive to accommodate solus. No biggie, I went for it as I thought I'll merge the partition later. The install process failed after saying something along the lines of "Too many primary partitions " and exited.

    I got fed up and tried to boot back into windows. It BSODed and now I can't access my windows 10 either. The error was "Critical service failed". I do not need windows any time soon, so I want to wipe C partition and keep the other two media partitions I have, and install Solus/ Linux mint on C. How do I go about this?

    • I did check the option to install bootloader
    • I have only one hard disk
    • Specs : AMD FX 6300, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, Nvidia GT610, Gigabyte GA 78

    Sorry for the long post, any help/guidance is appreciated. :)

    submitted by /u/Arjun_Sindhya
    [link] [comments]

    Failing to run ubuntu on usb stick

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 06:22 AM PDT

    Hi real noob here,

    I got this error when trying to run ubuntu via usb stick, after having followed the official tutorial and having installed ubuntu with rufus.

    Now when I select Install Ubuntu I get those two pages real fast https://imgur.com/rvANboj https://imgur.com/xEBm6ML then the loading ubuntu logo appears and it freezes on it.

    Anybody help?

    The windows on my ssd seems to have died so this is the only way for me to have access to the Internet, with my mobile from which I post this.

    Thanks a lot in advance

    Sorry for crap format

    submitted by /u/Thor1noak
    [link] [comments]

    Mounting on Linux. Period.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 06:19 AM PDT

    I am trying to write something for my service desk/end users to give them step by step procedures to mount a service on their Linux. I've never used one before, nor do I have access to one. I'm just trying to make life easier for the SD.

    As I understand it, I do not need a "root file" or "root user" permission. This filesystem is good to go on its own. It just needs to be mounted.

    submitted by /u/jsurdybirdy
    [link] [comments]

    AMD cpu computers

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 02:21 PM PDT

    I'm trying to find out if Linux can run on AMD based computers. Particularly Debian 9.

    Are there any limitations that I should be aware?

    submitted by /u/kat1010
    [link] [comments]

    ANCIENT hardware unearthed: What distro?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2018 10:05 PM PDT

    Hey. I found a positively ancient PC: https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-6830-micro-tower-celeron-700-mhz-64-mb-20-gb/specs/

    Are there any distros that I could find to run on it? They don't have to be current; just enough so I can say I revived it.

    submitted by /u/StevenC21
    [link] [comments]

    [ArchLinux] Setting up the Live USB for UEFI

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 02:50 AM PDT

    I know how to install Arch itself (Legacy mode), but when I install it with UEFI mode on (this time following a UEFI specifc tutorial) it just does not boot after the installation is compele, and the USB is removed; it says 'There Are No Bootable Devices'. I followed like 3 tutorials and installed Arch everytime successfully but when I reboot it won't load. So I thought maybe it's the Live USB itself. Maybe I didn't made it so it supports UEFI systems and I just want to make sure I set it up right this time.

    And yes Secure Boot is disabled.

    So are there any tutorials for setting up the live USB? I'd prefer a video tutorial that's up to date.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/GrayPsyche
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu: Two distros on one lvm-encrypted disk?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 12:31 AM PDT

    I have no experience with lvm encryption. And in Ubuntu 18.04 there's no longer an option to encrypt /home only.

    I'd like to have two distros on the same disk (one for work, the other for testing things). If I install the first one and it encrypted the entire disk, how the second distro's installer will know what to do?

    Ubuntu is supposed to be for regular users, not for advanced encryption masters :)

    I was going to buy another disk anyway, so maybe dual booting from two separate disk is a better option?

    And I know that a post-installation home encryption is still possible and quite easy to perform.

    What do you think will be good for me?

    submitted by /u/snoopervisor
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel