• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, April 23, 2018

    Home Networking After Many Years of Consumer Products, I Made My First Foray Into Prosumer Networking. Thoughts/Advice/Critiques Welcome!

    Home Networking After Many Years of Consumer Products, I Made My First Foray Into Prosumer Networking. Thoughts/Advice/Critiques Welcome!


    After Many Years of Consumer Products, I Made My First Foray Into Prosumer Networking. Thoughts/Advice/Critiques Welcome!

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 04:44 PM PDT

    Switch TRENDNET TEG-160w

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 05:43 PM PDT

    Hi, what do you think of this switch?. Can get it on a good deal, but I don't need it, so I don't want to buy junk.

    submitted by /u/pablotrinc
    [link] [comments]

    Phone/Cable Wiring Mess

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 09:26 AM PDT

    Hello all. I have an idea of how I want to tackle a house wiring problem I'm having, but I'm a bit of a novice, so I wanted to ask some folks more knowledgable than me if I was doing it right or if there was something big I'm missing.

    I recently moved into a new house, and I would like to get my Comcast cable/internet/phone service connected up to the house's phone jack and cable system. But there's a bit of a wiring mess standing between me and my goal. Here's what the wall currently looks like:

    https://imgur.com/Z3nUsCx

    Problem 1 - Phone Jacks

    Okay, so if you look at the picture, Letter B is a thick black wire which comes in from outside where it disappears underground. Inside are blue/blue-white/orange/orange-white cables that just sort of look like cat5 cable. I'm guessing this is incoming telephone line (which I don't need with a comcast cable modem). Of course, it's not actually connected to anything so I'm guessing the previous owner didn't use it either.

    The other wire (Letter A) is gray and looks like old cat3, with red/green/black/yellow wires. This one runs up into the attic along with most of the coax cables, so I'm assuming that goes to the jacks in the house. However, I'm surprised it's just the one cable.

    1.1) Do you think the single gray wire (Letter A) splits off at some other point in the house to spread to the other jacks?

    1.2) Letter A is what I want to connect to, right? Assuming I'm correct in my guessing?

    1.3) I was thinking of just taking a phone cable, cutting it in half and then stripping the wires. Then matching up the wires and twisting them together. Will that be good enough or do I need to go about putting things into jacks or punching something down?

    1.4) The big black Ma Bell connecteor thing just above letter B isn't being used at all. That's outdated right? It only has two connection points, so would I only use that if I was doing a strictly two-wire system (red/green)?

    Problem 2 - Coax Splitters

    As you can see from the picture, I have a lot of coax wiring going on. It looks like the previous owners had DirectTV, which fed into Splitter D and then out to the various rooms. At some point they got rid of that and went back to cable, but for some reason they used a different splitter.

    So now the cable comes in from outside (Letter C) and splits. One goes into the house, and the other goes to Splitter E, which then feeds to all the other house cables. But I need to add another connection now for the cable modem, and I'm wondering which connection to sacrifice or how best to use what I have.

    2.1) Is there any reason I can't just get rid of Splitter E and go with Splitter D instead? It has a bunch of extra ports that aren't currently being used, so that would be ideal. Is there any reason those would be different enough that I'd screw something up there? Or is this just about signal quality?

    2.2) Ideally, my plan would be to have a dual splitter on Letter C like it is now. One wire would go to my cable modem, and the other would go to the source for Splitter D. Then all the TV jacks in the house would go off of D, and I could completely get rid of E, and clean up some of that mess. Does that make sense?

    submitted by /u/radynski
    [link] [comments]

    LAN DNS vs WAN DNS in Asus Router

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 08:31 PM PDT

    What's the difference? I've installed a r/PiHole on a Raspberry Pi and configuring my Asus Router to use PiHole as DNS.

    I see two options, LAN DNS and WAN DNS.

    Issue is, when I configured WAN DNS to be my PiHole, it started pinging to dns.msftncsi.com thousands of times. I changed it back to automatic assignment and it's fine now.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/8egbw8/what_the_heck_is_dnsmsftncsicom/

    submitted by /u/ao97ek7cqlvlqorip0o
    [link] [comments]

    10GBE Network Woes

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 08:21 PM PDT

    I'm having difficulty getting near full speed across my 10GBE network and looking for input as to why this may be.

    Network Diagram:

    Nas 10GBE Intel Nics -> AsusXG-U2008 -> Main PC with Asus XG-C100C

    Iperf testing: NAS As Server (2.93Gbit) PC As Server (6.72Gbit)

    As you can see there is a huge speed discrepancy and it is short of 10Gbit by a lot.

    Config:

    NAS - Unraid, 9016 MTU

    PC - Win10 LTSB, Jumbo Packets set to 9016

    I have tried the following: Live Ubuntu server on NAS - Same result.

    Ubuntu kernel changes to increase window sizes etc - No change

    Flow Control - Enabled/Disabled (No Change) Receive Buffers - Default (512) Increase to 4096 (No Change)

    Transmit Buffers - Default (4096) Increase to 8096 (No Change) - Max is 8192 but the nic won't connect like this.

    Direct connection of NAS and PC - No Change

    I have a 960 Pro NVME SSD at both ends, network transfers reflect the same speed as iperf.

    If I run iperf with -P 5 (parallel) It will output around 9.89GBit, I've seen a lot of screenshots of people transferring with windows file transfer and iperf getting full speed over one connection, so howcome I can't seem to mange it?

    Any input would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Hammondses
    [link] [comments]

    Unifi Pro or Google WiFi for Thick Concrete Walls

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 08:10 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I searched this sub but don't see an answer specific to my question.

    Question: Google WiFi or Unifi APs for concrete home where signals appear strong, but don't work outside immediate room?

    Context: My in laws are in a newer concrete building with Ethernet to all rooms. I have access to a switch closet so could replace the switch. They're in Taiwan (I'm visiting rn) so I'm not sure I can get Unifi APs in time, and I want to be sure it's idiot proof after I leave.

    The walls are thick concrete. The wireless signals pass through and show full strength on client devices when the clients are in other rooms, but don't work.

    They currently have independent routers with separate AP names in each room, and manually select the name of the room as they move around the house (very suboptimal!). There are 5 rooms and 5 wireless routers right now.

    Because everything is concrete, any devices need to sit on shelves, which is why I'm leaning toward Google as it seems more elegant than Unifi APs that aren't mounted to anything.

    I've been researching on this sub and feel lucky to have Ethernet to all rooms, but am concerned about handoff given the signal looks strong even if it isn't really.

    I want them to have one network they join with seamless operation throughout the house.

    Of either Unifi or Google Home, are either better at handoff where the signal APPEARS strong but isn't?

    Should I consider other options as well? I'm primarily looking at these two as it seems they're the best for wired AP applications for consumer grade, and I'm leaning toward Google given I assume it'll be hard to find Unifi in Taiwan before I leave this weekend.

    submitted by /u/mfcrunchy
    [link] [comments]

    Renting a house and looking to make my upstairs office "wired" - Worth hiring someone, or would a NETGEAR PowerLine do the trick?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 09:14 AM PDT

    Hey everyone.

    I moved into this house about 2 months ago, and I'm renting it until 2021. The house is three stories. I currently have AT&T U-Verse Fiber 1000Mbps up/down. My router is on the second floor, and my office is on the third.

    On my office PC, I get about 300Mbps using my USB WiFi Adapter. (NETGEAR A6210)

    I would really like to take full advantage of the gigabit internet, and I understand that WiFi has its limitations.

    Should I hire a professional to run wires and install some ethernet wall plates? I'm not sure what this might cost, but again, I don't own this house, meaning I'm within my limits to do this, however is it worth paying for if I'll be out in 3 years?

    Or would something like a NETGEAR PowerLine do the trick?


    I've included some details down below in the event I'm looking at this from the wrong angle.

    On the bottom floor we have a guest bedroom, where the AT&T technician installed this.

    On the middle floor, we have a coat closet with a small metal enclosure that seems to be our networking "hub" for lack of a better term. The inside of that looks like this (I apologize for the horrendous quality of this picture).

    The yellow wire up top that I'm not holding in the picture goes to my router, which is seated on a shelf just off the top of the picture.

    When the technician saw this, he assumed that I would have ethernet wall plates elsewhere in the house, but I only have one and it's immediately next to the installation from the first picture.


    EDIT: I should mention that my mind jumped to "hire a professional" over DIY simply because I'm not very handy, and my office is not directly above the closet - the wire would have a bit of a ways to go.

    submitted by /u/rper22
    [link] [comments]

    Help in implementing offline forms for a classroom setup.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 06:56 PM PDT

    Just want to ask for some advice on how to set this up. My teacher wants to have a google forms like app limited only to a local network. Basically he will bring an AP to class and all his students will connect to it. Once the students are connected to his AP, they can start answering the form or quiz or whatever the teacher uses this on. The answers will be stored directly to his laptop and he will then be able to check them. He also wants the forms to randomize the order of the questions if possible. He wants the forms to be offline in nature so that the students won't have access to the internet when answering the forms. Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/clairedoy
    [link] [comments]

    Is buying the ASUS RT-AC88U worth it?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 06:41 PM PDT

    I am about to receive FTTN to my house and I want to get the Asus RT-AC88U. Is this actually beneficial and worth it for how much it is. I play a lot of games and also do a lot of downloading. Will buying this router actually improve the performance of internet around my house?

    submitted by /u/CrossingPanda
    [link] [comments]

    Changing DNS on my router

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 06:17 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I live in Germany and I'm using a Speedport Smart Telekom router. do you have any idea how can I change the DNS on my router? looked all over the admin page but couldn't find anything about port forwarding which I also need to do. help would be very appreciated

    submitted by /u/shai50
    [link] [comments]

    Help understanding Up/Down channels

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 05:25 PM PDT

    So when I go to my modems IP address it shows that there are 24 down and 4 up channels. But the modem when googled says its only 16x4. Is the rule whatever channels are being shown on the Ip address status page the channels your getting or are only have of those channels on the status page actually being used?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/bryshawhere
    [link] [comments]

    Proxy forwarding

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 03:44 PM PDT

    So you know your at a job and a website is blocked...i know there are sites you can go to, type in said URL and the site loads it for you hence circumventing the networks proxy that otherwise has it blocked....can i setup something like this at home so i can use my own proxy forwarder from work?

    submitted by /u/neotrin2000
    [link] [comments]

    Best possible connection in rented room with other people

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 03:37 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm currently renting a room out & have 3 other roommates who all use the internet (wifi). The owner has the modem/router setup in the kitchen pantry. It's immovable because Spectrum (the ISP) installed a home/office setup in the wall and have the modem/router mounted to the wall.

    What would the best setup be in this situation? An access point or router? MoCa?

    submitted by /u/uni_saucer
    [link] [comments]

    Would a Qnap NAS or Synology NAS be better if you are looking for security of your files?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 02:57 PM PDT

    Hi, I am asking this as I have a QNAP NAS now but did have some malware on it at one point. This was no problem for me as I have nothing on there that is of any value to me anyway. However now a friend has come to me asking whether or not Qnap or Synology is safer for his files as he has some files that he wouldn't like anyone to get their hands on. Would anyone here know if Qnap or Synology is safer if file safety is a high priority?

    submitted by /u/TSPF11
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to connect using OpenConnect or Cisco AnyConnect VPN in Linux

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 01:48 PM PDT

    I am using Ubuntu 16. I followed the steps here to get Cisco AnyConnect: https://uci.service-now.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0010201

    After I type /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/vpnui, the Cisco AnyConnect GUI pops up. Cisco AnyConnect on Windows works for me. But on Ubuntu, for Connect to: , when I enter same the name I enter for Cisco AnyConnect on Windows, it gives the error

    The VPN Connection failed due to unsucessful domain name resolution 

    When I enter the Gateway my company provided, I get

    connection attempt has failed due to server communication errrors. please retry the connection 

    I then installed openconnect following the steps in this link: http://www.humans-enabled.com/2011/06/how-to-connect-ubuntu-linux-to-cisco.html

    Under edit connections -> add -> Cisco AnyConnect VPN -> Create, I enter the company's gateway in Gateway and the DNS they provided in IPv4 Settings->Additional DNS servers

    After I choose the VPN connection in VPN Connections, I get this:

    SSL connection failure: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated. Failed to open HTTPS connection to [gateway] 

    If I go to the terminal and type

    sudo openconnect <gateway ip address> 

    I get

    POST https://[gateway] attempting to connect to server [gateway]:443 SSL negotiation with [gateway] SSL connection failure: The TLS Connection was non-properly terminated Failed to open HTTPS connection to [gateway] Failed to obtain WebVPN cookie 

    can anyone help with this?

    submitted by /u/74throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Coax Splitter and Moca Adapter question

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 01:26 PM PDT

    I currently have gigabit Verizon Fios service with TV. I get internet through ethernet cat6 connection from the ONT. A verizon tech connected all these for me so I'm just trying to understand how this whole thing works.

    Current Connection

    The splitter has clearly labeled IN and OUT. However, my understanding is that the STB is getting internet data from the Verizon router for the TV guides and what not. Does that mean the splitter is actually bi-directional and the data can go either direction despite the IN and OUT labelling?

    Similarly, moca adapters like this motorolla mm1000 have clearly labeled IN and OUT or NETWORK and DEVICE COAX sockets. My understanding is that a moca adapter is acting as a network bridge. Does it really matter which COAX cable is connected to which socket?

    submitted by /u/theshiningnova
    [link] [comments]

    Putty not working for Remote Desktop Connection

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 01:14 PM PDT

    I have 3 computers: Computer A is this computer (Windows), Computer B is the computer in another room in this location (ubuntu), computer C is a computer located far away and I connect to it using Windows Remote Desktop Connection (Windows)

    I can use Putty in A to transfer files to B. However, I want to transfer files from C to B, but Putty in C is not allowing me to even though I entered the same details (Host name, username, password) that allowed me to transfer files from A to B

    I also used Putty in A to try to connect to C, and vice-versa, but neither are working. When using A to connect to C, I used C and used cmd and entered ipconfig and used the IPv4 address under Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2 (since the only other ip address displayed is under Ether adapter VirtualBox). I tried SFTP, SCP, and FTP, but none of them worked

    Can anyone help with this?

    EDIT: I meant to say I used WinScp, NOT Putty

    submitted by /u/74throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Safest method to upgrading ddwrt on e3000?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 01:14 PM PDT

    It's been a few years since I flashed ddwrt on my e3000 and I'm getting a vibe that the info between the model's wiki and the ddwrt forums are either contradictory or outdated. The most up to date info I could find on this sub was from 11 months ago. So what is the best path for my device to upgrade that includes a stable firmware with the krack vulnerability patched? I have..

    DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std-usb-nas - build 18777

    I can't remember if I used k24/k26 to get to this point nor e2k-e3k/n60k and according to many tidbits on the ddwrt/peacock.

    submitted by /u/nevezen
    [link] [comments]

    I need help adding coverage to my outside yard.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    I live in a house 30x33 1 floor plus basement. The problem is the modem from my Isp is in the basement so my routeur is too (asus RT-N56U). My PS4 (original one) is in the basement so my routeur is there so my Ps4 can be wired. I want to add some coverage in my yard for the summer(playing music from the pool on spotify). Is there any A/C adapter that I could plug in my outside outlet with an WAP integrated? For the price, maybe I should just change the routeur with a better one? I don't really want to wire my hous with CAT cable... it would be an hasle.

    submitted by /u/Ideuss
    [link] [comments]

    Router specs: wireless speed higher than lan/wan port speeds?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 12:50 PM PDT

    Hey guys

    My home router is getting really old. As I searched for newer ones to replace it, I came across this one (TP-Link Archer C60). If you look at its specs, you will see that the router has LAN/WAN ports with 10/100 Mbps speed. However, it also claims that wireless speed reach as high as 450Mbps(2.4GHz) or 867Mbps(5GHz). How is that possible? Aren't wired connections supposed to be faster?

    Thank you, in advance

    Edit: my internet speed is currently 50 Mbps, but I will probably increase it to 100 Mbps by the end of next month.

    submitted by /u/ihatestatistics
    [link] [comments]

    Home network IP and equip. list

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 08:57 AM PDT

    Does anyone have a Word or Excel document for listing all equipment in a home network including IP? I tried to Google one but came up empty. Not sure if I was using the wrong name.

    I mostly want to see an overall list of static IPs and use it as a planning guide for future additions.

    submitted by /u/Neccros
    [link] [comments]

    Not able to autenticate to certain websites/services ONLY using the 5GHz net of my ASUS RT-AC68U

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 12:03 PM PDT

    This is the weirdest issue I've ever encountered. I noticed some absurd behaviours:

    • any android device connected to the 5GHz network of my router can't load Netflix menu (I can from my laptop though)
    • I am not able to log into my league of legends account and can't upload photos using telegram.

    It's weird because I can, for example, log into steam or battle.net, and as soon as I've launched something on netflix using a mobile network I can actually switch back to my Wi-fi.

    I really have no idea of what is going on. I've already updated the firmware a couple of times but nothing seems to be changing.

    Thank you for your attention

    submitted by /u/Ma77z
    [link] [comments]

    Asus RT-AC87U has horrible latency. I also want to do a general network upgrade. Suggestions?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 10:22 AM PDT

    Hi, /r/HomeNetworking. I wanted to get this posted for a very long time, so here goes.

    First off, my Asus RT-AC87U has had terrible Wi-Fi latency. It's extremely obvious while loading webpages and sending messages over WhatsApp, Telegram, Messenger Lite, etc. Videos on YouTube, certain other places and Netflix take their own sweet time buffering. Oddly enough, it doesn't show up on a ping 192.168.1.1 test from my Android phone, nor does it show up on a fast.com speed test (though it takes a noticeable amount of time for the data transfer rate to ramp up). I have a symmetrical gigabit internet connection, so that is definitely not the bottleneck. Webpages load near-instantaneously when a laptop is plugged into the ONT, or through Ethernet cable directly into the router. I wanted to get to the bottom of this. My Asus router is running the latest Merlin firmware, and has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios switched on. I've tried flicking MIMO, bandwidth options left and right to no avail. Is this a legitimate router issue? My phone has no problems on other Wi-Fi networks (even public ones running at 6 Mbps), and is equally as fast on 4G LTE networks.

    In the event that it turns out to be a router issue, I would like to swap out the Asus router and replace it with Ubiquiti components. Here's the key network infrastructure at home. A few pointers below.

    The Cat 6 cables run along the corners of the walls and ceiling, and are inside cable trunking, running alongside 230 V AC power cables, so it's not easy to move them around or add new ones without significant effort and cost. Measurements are in millimetres. The large black rectangles are the pillars for the apartment block—they're solid concrete rebar. The walls separating the rooms are also concrete. The gigabit switch exists because the ancient (from 2010) all-in-one desktop we have at home has a rubbish Wi-Fi adaptor, and I wanted to split the single RJ 45 port in the study to feed two devices (the desktop and the NAS) with wired LAN.

    Have you guys any suggestions as to how I may reconfigure the network at home? For starters, I was thinking of placing the switch right next to the fibre ONT (and thus giving our smart TV a wired connection, too) and replacing the Asus router with either a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE or EdgeRouter X, as well as a Ubiquiti AP-AC-LR. What do you guys think?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/delta_p_delta_x
    [link] [comments]

    Router/Modem Suggestions for Fiber Internet

    Posted: 23 Apr 2018 06:27 AM PDT

    I am looking at jumping into fiber (gigabit) internet and need a hardware upgrade for my modem/router.

    As far as a router, I am hardcore eyeballing the Nighthawk X10 (https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Quad-Stream-Quad-core-Compatible/dp/B01M12RE4A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8). I have multiple gaming machines in house and could be streaming multiple 4K sources at any given time. This router might be a bit overkill, but I figure it will handle what I need and offer some room for growth.

    I am not sure what modem to leverage with it, though. I was considering the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, but realized that is both a modem and a router, maybe overkill? I seem to be able to find a wealthy of information on "top routers of 2018" but not as much around modems. Any advice on what to use in conjunction with that selected router would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Krahnin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel