• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, May 31, 2022

    Linux Partition disks

    Linux Partition disks


    Partition disks

    Posted: 31 May 2022 09:02 PM PDT

    Hi I want to work on my linux skills and I'm setting up some simple projects / tasks. I'm using VirtualBox and Ubuntu 20.44 (I think), and I want to make a partition and then encrypt it. I'm using parted to make the partitions.

    When I run parted on my machine it says that I only have /dev/sda. I know that I'm not supposed to make the partition on /dev/sda because that's where the OS is and it will mess everything up and I'm supposed to use /dev/sdb. But there isn't one.

    https://preview.redd.it/dm3wdbugox291.png?width=743&format=png&auto=webp&s=2585f2f5da81e2939adb66cdb539150a0a7b0cd3

    I'm wondering either how can I get /dev/sdb or is there another place I can put the partition to then encrypt it. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/dial0663
    [link] [comments]

    Error while starting Manjaro Linux, the error doesn't brake something but just it pops up every time I start my KDE Manjaro install. How do I fix it?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 07:07 AM PDT

    Linux Terminology and tweaks?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 02:28 PM PDT

    Windows user, just switched to Zorin OS (dual boot, alongside windows).

    There are some general questions I have:

    • What is contained in a DE (is that shorthand for Desktop Environment)?Is it the taskbar, "app window/instance manager", file manager? What else?
    • What's the difference between Dash, Dock and Panel (I guess this is Gnome specific?)?
    • Why is it not recommended for me to upgrade the installed python 3.8 to 3.10?I thought Linux would be better suited for this than windows..
    • Any Tweaks that make Linux more similiar to windows, even on Zorin?
    • What exactly is the repository - a centralized app platform for different distros? Which One am I using? What's their relationship to snaps, flats and the other thing?
    • Should I use apt, apt-get or pip?
    • Is software that I install via the software store or aforementioned commands safe?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BusyFture
    [link] [comments]

    Unetbootin "Type: Hard Disk" Option Not Available on Mac

    Posted: 31 May 2022 10:49 AM PDT

    I'm trying to use Unetbootin to install Ubuntu on my Mac without a USB, but when I go to "Type", I can't select Hard Disk; only USB Drive. Can someone help please? I'm on MacBook Air 11.6 Big Sur

    https://preview.redd.it/9joecnufnu291.png?width=519&format=png&auto=webp&s=a618000c424c3df3fb8bb297960dd393c125bf8b

    submitted by /u/lostparadice
    [link] [comments]

    setxkbmap layout confusion

    Posted: 31 May 2022 10:35 PM PDT

    I have used the command

    man -P cat xkeyboard-config 

    to spill a bunch of information about the X keyboard. Among other stuff, it lists all the various keyboard layouts that exist. There are a lot of them. For example, the standard US layout is named "us". But there are a lot of layouts related to the US layout named things like "us(chr)" and "us(intl)". The idea seems to be that the most standard layout used in a country gets a two letter name and then variants are named the same two letters followed by something in parentheses.

    I can use the command setxkbmap to set my keyboard layout to any layout whose name does not involve parentheses. But if I try any layout with parentheses it just says

    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' 

    As though the very idea of typing parentheses in a command was crazy. So I think I've wildly misunderstood something. But I can't find anyone else anywhere on the internet who's made the same mistake that I have. Lots of people complaining that setxbkmap doesn't do anything on their system. No one complaining that it doesn't do anything only when they use parentheses.

    submitted by /u/InfanticideAquifer
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a text editor that shows the word count as I'm typing.

    Posted: 31 May 2022 09:42 PM PDT

    I'm using Fedora 36 w/ GNOME and I usually use Joplin for a lot of my notes, but I need something that shows the the word count as I type, instead of having to go to the menu all the time to check the word count. Anything recommendations? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but markdown would be nice.

    submitted by /u/fernwhisperer
    [link] [comments]

    What you need for local development environment?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 09:35 PM PDT

    I've recently finished building a local development system and installed AlmaLinux on it.

    I installed LAMP stack on the system successfully, but am quite lost on what to do afterwards.

    I am trying to set up Apache Virtual Hosting, but am quite stuck on how to do it since it keeps showing me the [Error writing /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: No such file or directory] whenever I do anything that forums and websites suggests to do.

    I plan to download VS Code as IDE and NodeJS and such after configuring the Apache Virtual Hosting.

    Here are some guide websites I used for initialization:

    https://www.creativebloq.com/how-to/set-up-a-local-development-environment

    https://devtonight.com/posts/how-to-setup-a-linux-apache-mysql-php-dev-environment-on-ubuntu#gsc.tab=0

    But these guides are either on a different OS (Mac) and are using different distribution of Linux (Debian).

    Any help or link to guides I can follow would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Awakaruf
    [link] [comments]

    Hello im Using Ubuntu, Possible to add a skeleton to a group?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 02:41 PM PDT

    I have tried to google it in several different descriptions but couldnt find any information how to do it, but i guess it is possible.

    I want to just add a skeleton to a group so i dont have to add the skeleton to every single user 1 by 1.

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/gargoso
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way to add a folder/a shortcut to various applications similar to how it's done in MacOS? Here is an example of what I mean:

    Posted: 31 May 2022 11:40 AM PDT

    Python scripts run manually in the terminal but fail to run under crontab

    Posted: 31 May 2022 03:30 PM PDT

    I could use some assistance with this issue. Not sure what I am doing wrong and could use some clarifications on what I'm doing wrong.

    This is the current cronjob I'd like to run:

    49 7 * * 1-5 /usr/bin/python3 /run/media/<USER>/8d82f6aa-2fc2-4eb7-ba62-e714d909f394/Old files/PycharmProjects/REDLIGHT_automation/windows login.py

    When I prompt "which python3" in the terminal this is what I get:
    "/usr/bin/python3"

    submitted by /u/Killingball01
    [link] [comments]

    what now? arch Linux installation on Wi-Fi , interrupted bandwidth. pause and resume. corrupt ISO or HDD?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 07:52 AM PDT

    what causes this in kubuntu 22.04 I have compositor off.

    Posted: 30 May 2022 05:45 PM PDT

    Linux on VM: I have a question about using both my Windows OS (main) and xubuntu on VM

    Posted: 31 May 2022 06:26 AM PDT

    I'm using VM for the odin project, and although I am fairly comfortable with using the VM, I can't help but to use the main OS (Windows) to play music and scroll through my social media accounts while at the same time with the VM running in the background. I know this may seem like an attention span problem, but running VM in the background while using chrome on my main OS seems like the set up that sits well with me.

    Does using VM while there are apps running in my main OS have ramifications? Or am I just doing everything wrong? Does this affect any physical hardware my laptop has?

    submitted by /u/pinkbeanieboii
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Mint Cinnamon vs Ubuntu MATE for home server?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 01:00 PM PDT

    So, I'm an intermediate-advanced linux user currently confortable using Fedora 36 on my daily-driver laptop.

    I built a custom machine with the intent of using that as a server. Jellyfin (self-hosted netflix alternative) and some way to share the storage of this PC securely inside my LAN (SMB? need help with that); are planned features.

    I don't like the idea of having a server without any GUI. I tried ubuntu-server and found myself having trouble doing stuff I can do in seconds in any DE. Resource consumption isn't any concern, the PC is definitely a beast (Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, RX 5500XT and 12TB storage).

    I'm in between Ubuntu MATE and Linux Mint Cinnamon. Both seems great distros for this, reliable and simple. (by the way, I've used both before. Just not as a server.) I'm open to other suggestions as long as they're based on Ubuntu LTS releases.

    submitted by /u/OliveEar
    [link] [comments]

    Does streaming and screen recording work without lagging on linux?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 04:17 PM PDT

    I have an GTX 1060 graphics card that works well on windows when gaming, screen recording or streaming, but when I will try to do some of those things on Linux low fps on stream and recordings also on some games. Does others have similar problems? I have tried everything various drivers and distros. Any tips?

    I would like to switch windows completely to linux, I don't like dualboot it sucks.

    submitted by /u/Due-Independence7607
    [link] [comments]

    Reboot optimize

    Posted: 31 May 2022 04:14 PM PDT

    ssh: connect to host (ip address) port 22: Connection timed out

    Posted: 31 May 2022 04:13 PM PDT

    Hello! I've done a lot of looking up my problem and I've hit a dead-end, I'm following this video to set up a Minecraft server with my other computer, and when I reach 8:48 in the video and enter ssh (user)@(IP address) on my other other computer in Windows PowerShell I get this: "ssh: connect to host (IP address) port 22: Connection timed out". I've tried a lot of stuff that I don't really understand here but I remember turning off the firewall for both devices to send the ssh thing with the same result, I've pinged the computer and it times out as well, I've opened up the ports but I'm still stuck.

    submitted by /u/Yodarules2
    [link] [comments]

    Which Programming Language is the most ideal for CLI tools?

    Posted: 31 May 2022 02:13 AM PDT

    Installing drivers from a USB

    Posted: 31 May 2022 03:11 PM PDT

    I have a problem with my new PC build- I have installed Linux Mint from a bootable USB, but my motherboard etc. came with NO DRIVERS- for both ethernet and wireless (on the Linux install). I have managed to get an ethernet connection on Windows, which is on a separate SSD.

    Now I need to know, if I go to the wireless company's website and download the driver for wireless in a ZIP file, HOW do I install it to Linux Mint? Where do I put all that firmware to make it run? Any advice appreciated, Google has had no leads for me.

    Distro: Linux Mint 20.3

    Motherboard: ASUS Prime B560M-A

    CPU- Intel i710700K

    Wireless adapter: BrosTrend 1200Mbps adapter

    submitted by /u/blu3tu3sday
    [link] [comments]

    A Circuit Simulator for Linux

    Posted: 31 May 2022 10:59 AM PDT

    Hello,

    So University made use a program called Multisim for circuit simulationast semester which was great way to learn about how circuits work

    But now I am on Linux and I can't find a good Circuit Simulator so if you guys know any please I need help to find one I search lots on Google but didn't get best results

    P.S.: At this point I don't care if it is Libre or not just want something

    submitted by /u/ZaRealPancakes
    [link] [comments]

    don't recognizes second screen

    Posted: 31 May 2022 01:46 PM PDT

    I recently bought a crt vga monitor, but when I tried to connected it, the computer just show up like it's not connected. Cpu: AMD A8 7680 with Radeon R7 iGPU Obs: the vga monitor is a crt.

    submitted by /u/jamal3494
    [link] [comments]

    Custom Workman Keyboard Layout

    Posted: 31 May 2022 07:55 AM PDT

    Greetings,

    surely you have more important things to do than answering basic linux questions so I will make it short.

    I'm in the process of changing from Win10 to minimal Ubuntu with just CLI and vim because I want to use my PC more efficient (with keyboard as much as possible) i3, firefox. Managed to create bootable Stick from .vdi and I'm quite happy.

    I edited the keyboard layout in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols with +rwx permission and saved.

    Changes are there but not in effect after reboot.

    I've been searching the whole day and circling around that there should be cached file *.xkm in

    /var/lib/xkb/ 

    But there's no file there ^^

    I would appreciate it a lot if someone could point me in the right direction.

    Thank you for your time,

    cheers

    submitted by /u/CLI_Browser
    [link] [comments]

    Facing issues in installation of linux all distribution

    Posted: 31 May 2022 11:10 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I am facing problem in installation of limux distribution all like ubuntu and derivatives, fedora, all arch based an pure arch too. I tried all of them but it doesn't install (installer stops while installing grub bootloader saying it is a fatal error, installer crashed. And in other distribution it was written in command like bootloader can't be installed. I tried everything like manual partationing 1st i tried clean install after that i tried manual partationing but the problem still there and not solve. So can anyone please help me. Thank you. Feel free to answer.

    submitted by /u/vikal_singh
    [link] [comments]

    Create virtual monitor with xandr for Screen Share

    Posted: 31 May 2022 10:10 AM PDT

    Here's the problem:

    I only have a single monitor, but I really want a secondary display, and I have an 8" tablet which I really want to use for that.I read that xandr is a pretty neat software to create virtual monitors, however, I can't seem to get it to work.

    My main goal is to create an external 2nd monitor, so I can use screen sharing apps (Anydesk, or smth you recommend) so I can put my discord on the tablet's screen.

    My Specs:

    OS: I use PopOS 22.04 LTS

    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X

    RAM: 16 GB

    GPU: GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB

    Edit: typo

    submitted by /u/GreGamingHUN
    [link] [comments]

    Bluetooth Keyboard won't show up in device list

    Posted: 31 May 2022 05:58 AM PDT

    Hello all! I have a dual boot system with win 10 and Garuda Arch Linux. I recently retired my Roccat Isku that I bought back in 2014. I got myself a Royal Kludge RK68 and connected it via my TP-Link UB500 Nano Bluetooth 5.0 dongle. That always worked fine for my keyboard, controllers and my Samsung Earbuds (for playing VR). I never have them all connected at the same time because I know where the limits of that dongle are. But I had to send the keyboard back because I accidentally bought the blue switches and the keyboard didn't have F keys. So I bought the Royal Kludge RK84 and that keyboard isn't getting recognized by the Dongle/PC on Linux at all, it will not show up in the Bluetooth device list. I can connect it via Bluetooth, 2,4 GHz dongle and via Type C cable on windows but on Linux it only works with the 2,5 GHz dongle and the Type C cable but the 2,5 GHz dongle has issues most of the time wile just using it for office work and the Type C cable kills the reason why I bought a wireless keyboard in the first place.

    Sorry for my bad English, it's not my first language.

    submitted by /u/CryptographerEqual85
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel