• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, May 31, 2022

    Rant Wednesday! Networking

    Rant Wednesday! Networking


    Rant Wednesday!

    Posted: 31 May 2022 05:00 PM PDT

    It's Wednesday! Time to get that crap that's been bugging you off your chest! In the interests of spicing things up a bit around here, we're going to try out a Rant Wednesday thread for you all to vent your frustrations. Feel free to vent about vendors, co-workers, price of scotch or anything else network related.

    There is no guiding question to help stir up some rage-feels, feel free to fire at will, ranting about anything and everything that's been pissing you off or getting on your nerves!

    Note: This post is created at 00:00 UTC. It may not be Wednesday where you are in the world, no need to comment on it.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Hardware choice question

    Posted: 31 May 2022 07:41 PM PDT

    I have a client (manufacturing ) moving to a new location and I'm spec-ing out what they're going to need, including more equipment to accommodate the bigger space and added devices that are going to be on the network.

    They currently only have one 24 port switch on a flat network (I know), but they will need another 24 port to have room for everything else getting put in, which will finally all be VLAN'd out. Their current switch is a tp-link tl-sg2428p, which has some layer 3 functionality , but isn't a true L3 switch. I'm not overly familiar with tp-link and how configurable they are, but the 2428p seems to be decent. I feel like I may have a few options and looking for some input:

    Option 1 - if the current tp-link has enough L3 functionality to do the routing I need, I just grab another layer 2 switch and call it a day. (And probably a new dedicated FW).

    Option 2 - grab a true L3 switch to do the routing I need. (Plus the FW).

    Option 3 - purchase another L2 switch and a separate router/firewall device to do the routing.

    They're not an enterprise level business, but they definitely need more than they had, all while tying to keep costs reasonable.

    submitted by /u/links_revenge
    [link] [comments]

    Network Infrastructure as Code

    Posted: 31 May 2022 07:32 PM PDT

    Preface: - I'm a recent-ish graduate. I've got 2 years of experience in very, very entry level, poorly managed networking. - I have a small smidgen of programming experience.

    Is anyone here doing full NetDevOps, and following strict Infrastructure as Code methodologies?

    Once this week, my team ran into an issue where a device crapped out on our network, and we only had a configuration text file from a few weeks ago that wasn't current state to go off of. This isn't the first time this has happened, and until we change our methods, we will continue to fight fires with other fires.

    This isn't my first job that was like this either. Text file templates for device configs, remote devices changed at will over SSH with no supporting documentation or structure. There's no change management, version control, etc. This is difficult for me to function in.

    • I'm currently implementing our first form of IPAM tool so that we have a source of truth on the network somewhere.
    • I have currently developed a few automation tools to automatically backup device configurations, and perform other actions. I've used Nornir to do this, and thus, it's very capable to perform whichever action I would like. That said, I don't know a lot about Ansible. I didn't have a Linux environment to use, and WSL is disabled on my enterprise machines. I could get a VM up and running, but I want to make sure I have a reason to do this first. I defaulted to Nornir as I know a bit of Python.

    Q: How do you integrate IaC?

    • Do you have a master configuration file (that consists of of several repeatable API calls, for example) for each device? I.e hostname, interfaces, global configs, etc. until configured?
    • Do you just have repeatable tasks as Ansible roles for example, and then you create a master "provisioning" playbook with variables for a switch, and the. Another playbook for a router, etc?
    • How do you then make regular changes? Say a device has an issue. How do you run several show commands? What does future maintenance and management look?

    I'm familiar with developing scripts and APIs to automate frequent tasks and functions, but I am inherently not familiar with developing intent-based instructions for future use, and I certainly cannot visualize how to integrate this into an existing network operations environment that currently just uses SSH and text files.

    I've used Git once or twice, I just cannot wrap my head around how this works in a working environment.

    submitted by /u/EyeDewBrowse
    [link] [comments]

    Dell PowerSwitch N3248P-ON vs PowerSwitch S3048-ON

    Posted: 31 May 2022 03:14 PM PDT

    Hi All, We are planning a small cluster and for management traffic looking for a 1GbE ToR switch. We have been quoted N3248P-ON with delivery lead times over 5 months and S3048-ON with short delivery time. However, I understand that N3248P-ON is a latest release and S3048-ON might go out of support in few years. I wanted to know from any ones experience if you have preference on one or other?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/radian_24
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel