• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, November 30, 2021

    Linux Colors in Wine can be edited with Classic Color Panel

    Linux Colors in Wine can be edited with Classic Color Panel


    Colors in Wine can be edited with Classic Color Panel

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:37 AM PST

    Learn from my mistakes - upgrade your packages regularly!

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:43 PM PST

    To cut a long story short, I installed a new app from the arch repos and it broke a system utility.

    I spent hours debugging and searching online to try to find out how installing an app (gqrx) could break a system utility (gnome-control-centre).

    I traced it to a missing library (libnsl.so.2), but how could installing a software radio app delete a system library?

    Turns out I hadn't updated the system in a long time (at least months) and there were hundreds of updates available.

    One of those was gnome-control-centre. And then I realised... It was an old enough version that is used an old library! When I installed gqrx, it also uses that library but a more up-to-date version which replaced the old one.

    This broke the anything that was old enough to use the old library, including gnome settings!

    A quick pacman -Syu and it was fixed!

    Moral of the story: update your system!

    submitted by /u/bansheefever
    [link] [comments]

    Getting hddtemp working on external

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:22 PM PST

    Hello, I have a 14TB WD Red+ in a Nexstar 3.1 USB external enclosure hooked to my pi4 running Ubuntu server. I installed hddtemp and when I run sudo hddtemp /dev/sda it comes back with /dev/sda: USB 3.1 Storage: drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature sensor.

    I tried following This tutorial and ran echo \"USB 3.1 Storage\" 194 C \"USB 3.1 Storage\" | sudo tee -a /etc/hddtemp.dband when I ransudo hddtemp /dev/sda again it said /dev/sda: USB 3.1 Storage: 216°C

    So I ransudo smartctl /dev/sda -a | grep -i Tempagain to make sure my hdd hadn't caught fire and it shows 194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0002 040 040 000 Old_age Always - 39 (Min/Max 22/44)

    I tired running sudo hddtemp /dev/sda again, but now it shows the same thing as when I first ran it /dev/sda: USB 3.1 Storage: drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature sensor.

    Any idea how I would get it to display the correct thing? TIA.

    submitted by /u/Peacemaker130
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know the name of this desktop environment? Does anyone know how to open another shell here?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:18 AM PST

    Remote access without SSH tunneling??

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 10:18 AM PST

    Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to remote into a linux computer without using ssh tunneling? I was thinking of setting up my parents on a linux computer but i think they would need some remote assistance from time to time. The only trouble is that they travel a lot these days so their internet access might be quite limited e.g. via a captive portal. As far as i know you can't use ssh tunneling in that scenario?

    submitted by /u/lllllll22
    [link] [comments]

    Unrenameable "file system" drive

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:03 PM PST

    I want to rename my system drive. I can rename the data drive just fine, but no matter what I try, the system drive always stays as "file system". Dont ask why but if i cant change this then its a deal breaker as I have a drive naming scheme that I have all of my PCs use. How do I make the file system drive say something else? I am using minimal XFCE manjaro.

    submitted by /u/DRAV-Corp
    [link] [comments]

    Just Installed MINT how do I know the name of my Desktop

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 02:18 PM PST

    Hello

    In Mint Cinn How do you know the name of

    what desktop you're using.?

    Thanks Geo

    submitted by /u/Geotech-8309
    [link] [comments]

    [Linux Mint] Broken packages due to differently named versions ("Package cannot be configured because package is in a different version")

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 02:14 PM PST

    Hello,

    I currently have a problem regarding a package I tried to install recently. I tried to follow this guide and so I downloaded and installed libtinfo6_6.2+20201114-2.deb manually from the Debian official website. However, there was an error installing because the package version has a different name from the one already installed (6.2-0ubuntu2), and now it's broken along with libtinfo6 and libncurses6:i386, which are both listed as 6.2-0ubuntu2. Trying to force a downgrade leads to this error (note: translated by me):

    dpkg: warning: trying to downgrade libtinfo6:i386 from 6.2+20201114-2 to 6.2-0ubuntu2 (Reading database ... 345439 currently installed files and directories.) Preparing to unpack .../libtinfo6_6.2-0ubuntu2_i386.deb ... Unpacking libtinfo6:i386 (6.2-0ubuntu2) over (6.2+20201114-2) ... dpkg: error while processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libtinfo6_6.2-0ubuntu2_i386.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite '/usr/share/doc/libtinfo6/changelog.Debian.gz' shared, which is different from other instances of package libtinfo6:i386 Errors were found while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/libtinfo6_6.2-0ubuntu2_i386.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) A package was not installed. Attempting to recover: dpkg: error while processing the package libtinfo6:amd64 (--configure): Package libtinfo6:amd64 6.2-0ubuntu2 cannot be configured because libtinfo6:i386 is in a different version (6.2+20201114-2) dpkg: error while processing package libtinfo6:i386 (--configure): Package libtinfo6:i386 6.2+20201114-2 cannot be configured because libtinfo6:amd64 is in a different version (6.2-0ubuntu2) Processing triggers to libc-bin (2.31-0ubuntu9.2) ... Errors were found while processing: libtinfo6:amd64 libtinfo6:i386 

    I've read I should try and reinstall libtinfo6:i386, but I'm afraid of doing so because of how many dependencies it has. Thank you in advance for any help provided.

    submitted by /u/ic487
    [link] [comments]

    Just Installed MINT how do I get Nvidia drivers working ?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 02:08 PM PST

    Hello

    Just Installed MINT how do I get

    Nvidia drivers working ?

    Thanks Geo

    submitted by /u/Geotech-8309
    [link] [comments]

    Dual booting Linux on a Matebook D15

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:52 PM PST

    Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, however I haven't been able to boot off of anything other than Windows Boot Manager on this laptop. I've used Linux before, I used to dual boot ubuntu on my older laptop, and had a really easy install from USB, however this laptop simply refuses to boot from USB. I've tried other alternatives like unetbootin with similar results.

    Yes, secure boot is disabled.

    submitted by /u/Turtlecrapus
    [link] [comments]

    WiFi adapter not found.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:50 PM PST

    I downloaded pop os and got rid of windows but the WiFi adapter wasn't found when on pop os. I found some fix for if you still had windows but can't find any solutions if I just have pop os, but I do have access to another device with windows if I need it to solve the problem. Does any1 have a solution?

    submitted by /u/MarcoP4l4
    [link] [comments]

    ULOSINO: new distribution reference site

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:32 PM PST

    Beginner and intermediate users tend to consult DistroWatch.com for a quick 'synopsis' of a distribution. For those unfamiliar, DistroWatch gives the effect that Linux and other open source operating systems look terrible and are very slow.

    My new site ULOSINO is a new alternative that places open source OSs in a modern setting. With instant search and offline capabilities, it's ready for ensemble into your flow.

    It launches with 22 distros, with more coming, and open to community contribution on GitHub (MIT License).

    submitted by /u/qoulyot
    [link] [comments]

    I recently switched from windows to linux(ubuntu). However I am thinking about distro hopping to linux mint or pop!Os . Also should I try a specific flavour of Ubuntu?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:32 AM PST

    Font blocks

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:02 PM PST

    Discord has a weird font issue where certain fonts don't come up, instead it has font blocks. Does anyone have a fix? I'm running arch on kernel 5.15.

    submitted by /u/Synth1337
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me with DKMS

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:57 PM PST

    Hello there! Sorry for bothering, I want to install this driver:

    https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver

    pure and simple with its instructions. I've done it a thousand times because I reinstalled linux a thousand times. But this time when running the command:

    "sudo dkms add . "

    from step 4 on that installation manual, it gives out this error:

    "Error! Arguments <module> and <module-version> are not specified."

    It worked earlier today, I'm trying to do a fresh install of manjaro and I need the driver for my WI-FI adapter. Today I've also tried to install endeavourOS and Arco linux just for the hell of it(but I couldn't make the Nvidia drivers f%#$ing work so I switched back to use Manjaro's automated tools) but this command worked. At this point my brain is melting... Am I missing something? Was there an update that I missed... Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/Painis____cupcake
    [link] [comments]

    Question about drives and downloading games

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:47 PM PST

    So I recently installed Manjaro. I have it set up dual boot with windows one one drive. I set up a 2nd drive for games. It works fine with steam and other games 700gb space free. I'm trying to download assassins creed Valhalla through lutris Ubisoft which is on gaming drive. When I direct the download to gaming drive says not enough space. It will let me download to drive C. Why is it not letting me use my /mnt /gaming drive?

    submitted by /u/Impreza610
    [link] [comments]

    What causes a node service to die and restart itself

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 05:07 AM PST

    Hello World!

    A couple of times in my programming career I've dealt with strange errors or issues, usually I figure them out and learn new things. However a couple of months ago me and a colleague ran into a pretty strange issue and I've never been able to figure out what exactly was causing it, which is really bugging me.

    I've asked on several subreddits and on stackexchange but nobody has been able to provide me with an answer yet. I guess I'm looking for someone who has a lot of knowledge about how nodejs is starting up processes, nohup and process signals.

    One night we were tasked to set our server up using a docker container on aws. I wrote the dockerfile and my colleague was the one managing the infrastructure. The dockerfile was responsible for launching two separate servers, one for the backend and one for the frontend.

    Using: node example1.js (where example.js is the first server)

    Worked perfect.

    Using: node example2.js (where example2.js is the second server)

    Worked perfect.

    Using: node example1.js & node example2.js

    Broke saying that "port 4000 is already in use".

    This error was incredibly strange because absolutely nothing else was using port 4000 except for the first server, example1.js. Server 2 was using port 4001. I spent 2 hours at first regexing everything and looking through everything, searching everything to make sure that there's nothing using port 4000, but there wasn't anything. It was also a clean new alphine/node docker instance so there was nothing on that machine except for what we just installed. So I can 100% say that nothing was using port 4000 except for the service itself.

    That's why the error was so incredibly strange, why is it breaking on a port conflict on itself...

    I later on found that using: nohup node example1.js & node example2.js

    Made everything work perfectly, suddenly no more port conflict, both servers starting up fine.

    I then went to research why nohup was making it work and I found out that nohup is catching the kill signals and properly shutting down the process, among other things. So the reason nohup made it work is because the first process is dying, then nohup correctly catches the kill signal, properly shuts it down, then when it restarts itself it can correctly do so without another port conflict.

    So what's happening there is that something is killing that process the moment you background process it, then it automatically starts itself again. Without nohup the first process kill isn't captured and it breaks when it tries to restart itself since the first one is still running in the background. With nohup it correctly catches the kill signal, shuts down the first process, then when it tries to restart itself it can correctly do so without breaking on its own port.

    I intuitively guess that it has something to do with how nodejs is creating processes, or that it has something to do with the shell closing on docker or something similar. Perhaps the process is only running in background as long as the shell is open and something is closing the shell. I have no idea.

    The things I don't understand is:

    - What's killing it, why is it dying in the first place, why is it even required to use nohup since the process shouldn't be dying anyways.

    - What's causing it to automatically restart itself, or why is it trying to start itself twice.

    In my mind background processing a service should just run it in the background, it shouldn't affect anything about it dying or restarting, however that's not what was happening and for the life of me I can't figure out why. What's more is that even if it just died I could understand that, that would make more sense to me, but what on earth is causing it to automatically restart itself or start itself twice.

    submitted by /u/metamatriarx
    [link] [comments]

    GTK file chooser ignores changes to gtkfilechooser.ini

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 11:37 AM PST

    I have an issue where the window for the GTK file chooser is larger than my screen. So I thought editing this files GeometryWidth= and GeometryHeight= Lines would work but it seems any changes made to this file (including even not geometry related settings) nothing sticks.

    Here is my gtkfilechooser.ini in case there is some error here im unaware of:

    [Filechooser Settings] LocationMode=path-bar ShowHidden=true ShowSizeColumn=true GeometryX=100 GeometryY=100 GeometryWidth=600 GeometryHeight=400 SortColumn=name SortOrder=ascending StartupMode=cwd 

    I can resize the window down using Alt drag because of dwm but having to not do that everytime i download a file would be a nice QOL improvement

    submitted by /u/Shinespark_1
    [link] [comments]

    Problems with transcoding

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 05:17 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I decided to use an old laptop as a home media server, and I have to say that it works fine. However, I'm not able to enable transcoding, even after reading the Jellyfin guide.

    My pc is an AMD with a A8-3500m CPU and Radeon 6470M GPU alongside the integrated 6620G and it's running Ubuntu server 20.04.3 with the 5.4.0-91-generic Kernel . From what I can understand, to enable transcoding via VAAPI I need the GPU Mesa drivers, but I have no clue on how to install them. When I run lshw -c video I get the following result:

    *-display UNCLAIMED

    description: VGA compatible controller

    product: Sumo [Radeon HD 6620G]

    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]

    physical id: 1

    bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0

    version: 00

    width: 32 bits

    clock: 33MHz

    capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list

    configuration: latency=0

    resources: memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:3000(size=256) memory:f0300000-f033ffff memory:c0000-dffff

    *-display UNCLAIMED

    description: VGA compatible controller

    product: Seymour [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]

    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]

    physical id: 0

    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0

    version: 00

    width: 64 bits

    clock: 33MHz

    capabilities: vga_controller cap_list

    configuration: latency=0

    resources: memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0200000-f021ffff ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0220000-f023ffff

    My Jellyfin setup runs on docker, if it's of any help.

    submitted by /u/bosci97
    [link] [comments]

    How I can find the addresses I added on Bind9 using Webmin ?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:29 AM PST

    Hello ,

    I want to ask I'm using Webmin with Bind9 and I've added some addresses but how I can find these addresses on the Linux machine itself ?

    I can easily find it on Webmin but how to find it on the Linux machine ?

    Best Regards

    submitted by /u/Zurattos
    [link] [comments]

    LogiOps setup for MX master 2S

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 03:39 AM PST

    Hey guy!

    Can i get some help with setting up my MX master 2S via LogiOps. Im able to get it to run but I cant configure the buttons the way I want.

    I want to setup the thumb wheel to lower and raise the volume. And the small button in the center to start and stop the audio that is being played.

    is there somebody out there that can help me out.

    Im running Zorin 16

    devices: ( { name: "Wireless Mouse MX Master 2S"; smartshift: { on: false; threshold: 15; # 7 is ideal for work }; # hiresscroll: # { # hires: false; # invert: false; # target: false; # }; dpi: 1600;# <- you may change this number thumbwheel: { divert: true; invert: false; left: { threshold: 1; interval: 1; direction: "Left"; mode: "OnInterval"; action = { type: "Keypress"; keys: ["KEY_VOLUMEDOWN"]; }; }; right: { threshold: 1; interval: 1; direction: "Right"; mode: "OnInterval"; action = { type: "Keypress"; keys: ["KEY_VOLUMEUP"]; }; }; }; } ); 
    submitted by /u/Krakert
    [link] [comments]

    Need to Delete and recreate /home (/dev/sda8) partition

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 05:48 AM PST

    I have had a size reporting issue after i used gparted to resize a few of my partitions.

    /home now reports -1.6gb usage when df -h is run which my monitoring software doesn't like.

    i have tested the partition filesystem and all is ok with it.

    I have looked into getting ths fixed but i think the easiest and quickest fix, will be to delete and recreate the partition.

    This is a live server running debian 11 no gui

    I was hoping for some guidance in the best way to do this

    I did find this short guide for Centos

    but was unsure as some commands differ.

    • backup the contents of /home

    tar -czvf /root/home.tgz -C /home . 

    • test the backup

    tar -tvf /root/home.tgz 

    • unmount home

    umount /dev/mapper/centos-home 

    • remove the home logical volume

    lvremove /dev/mapper/centos-home 

    • recreate a new 400GB logical volume for /home, format and mount it

    lvcreate -L 400GB -n home centos mkfs.xfs /dev/centos/home mount /dev/mapper/centos-home 

    • extend your /root volume with ALL of the remaining space and resize (-r) the file system while doing so

    lvextend -r -l +100%FREE /dev/mapper/centos-root 

    • restore your backup

    tar -xzvf /root/home.tgz -C /home 

    submitted by /u/SirKlip
    [link] [comments]

    Module initialization failed when trying to combine sink with slaves

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:25 AM PST

    I'm on Arch Linux with the 5.10.82-1-lts kernel

    I have to record in obs by having:

    A track for my microphone

    A track for discord audio

    A track for everything else

    If I understood correctly I have to combine a null sink with my default output device. So what I did is:

    pactl load-module module-null-sink 

    The output is

    31 

    If I select this null output in Pavucontrol for discord and add it to obs, it is separated from my desktop audio, but I can't hear it. So now I want to hear it, while being separated from the desktop audio.

    To get my standard output device I typed

    pactl list short sinks 

    and got

    0 alsa_output.pci-0000_0b_00.3.analog-stereo module-alsa-card.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz RUNNING 

    I tried

    pactl load-module module-combine-sink slaves=31,"alsa_output.pci-0000_0b_00.3.analog-stereo"

    but I got

    Failure: Module initialization failed 

    Can anyone help me?

    submitted by /u/FP_Asbel
    [link] [comments]

    Hide (but not disable) A Start-Up App

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 08:39 AM PST

    Im on PopOS 21.04

    Just set up a DasKeyboard 5Q. It has its own app that DasKeyboard provide. The app seems to work fine however on a fresh boot Im greeted with that big, ugly window on my nice, pristine desktop. Is there anyway to maintain the app starting at login while just hiding the window?

    I tried a gnome extension called "auto move windows" to start it in its own workspace but it just throws me to that workspace when the app starts on login.

    submitted by /u/Radiant_Mail9541
    [link] [comments]

    NTFS on Linux, can I stick with it or should I change file system?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:46 AM PST

    So, I am going to go through with the process of dual booting linux and I was going to try to do so without losing a ton of my files (games, photos, videos, etc.) and I saw that linux primarily uses a different file system compared to linux over NTFS. Would this cause a problem for me in the future, and should I change the file system, or would I be fine just leaving it as it is? Can I even swap if I have to without losing data? Thanks in advance, just confused.

    submitted by /u/FrozenAntifreeze312
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel