• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, January 7, 2021

    Linux I have a second monitor that I would like to use as the single display instead of my laptop screen, however, the display is able to transfer onto my monitor, yet the screen is not responding with clicks or anything.

    Linux I have a second monitor that I would like to use as the single display instead of my laptop screen, however, the display is able to transfer onto my monitor, yet the screen is not responding with clicks or anything.


    I have a second monitor that I would like to use as the single display instead of my laptop screen, however, the display is able to transfer onto my monitor, yet the screen is not responding with clicks or anything.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 11:05 AM PST

    I am using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

    I can move the mouse cursor anywhere but the action only seems to work on my laptop screen and not my monitor.

    submitted by /u/SilentXwing
    [link] [comments]

    Gamer Switching to Linux

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 11:04 PM PST

    Ok, so this is an interesting one. If anybody can help I would really appreciate it.

    I plan to have two computers, one that will be my primary system (a Windows based system) and a second computer to basically mess around in. I have ALWAYS wanted to mess with a Linux machine.

    My goal is to eventually switch to Linux entirely. However that will be much further in the future when I'm more tech savvy.

    I currently already have a Windows machine at the moment. I use that for daily tasks (such as gaming and schoolwork) but not much else.

    What I need help with is choosing the right version of Linux for me. I have been looking at Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux, and a friend has recommended KDE Neon. However I am at a loss for what I think would suit me best. It also does not help that I'm a bit of a potato when it comes to software.

    What I need: I need something that will be simple enough for entry-level computer geeks (such as myself) to mess around in, and will not be harsh to navigate through.

    What I want: I want gaming options. I am aware that there are quite a few devs who simply refuse to develop games for Linux, and I am also aware that thousands of games have Linux support, and so on. However gaming has always been a part of my life.

    I also love multiple screen setups.

    Extras: Browser apps/app stores (to help simplify things.)/support for wide variety of apps. My primary browser is Opera GX (the interface is simple, and while the company has made sketchy decisions in the past I absolutely enjoy the freedom of consuming a miniscule amount of RAM or WiFi usage compared to... Ahem... OTHER browsers that start with C XD)

    If there is anybody that would be able to give some advice on which version of Linux would be mostly right for me, I would be extremely thankful. Thank you, and have an amazing day!

    submitted by /u/Zaavoo
    [link] [comments]

    Usage case for renice

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 10:46 AM PST

    I am curious if someone can explain to me in what circumstances it would be necessary or useful to use the renice command to change the priority of a process. I understand (at least I think I do) that the basic function is to assign the priority of a given process in the kernel's scheduling. However, with the generally high processing power:commands I am running ratio, I am not sure I understand when I would need to use this command, or when it would benefit me to use it. If anyone has any insights into relevant use cases, I would greatly appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/did_e_rot
    [link] [comments]

    need help ASAP

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 09:58 AM PST

    I tried to install linux manjaro XFCE, everything seemed alright then the installation failed at 90% with the error "manjaro nibia has not been installed on your computer the error message was boot.python in job bootloader"

    I tried again and this time only manual partitioning is available and I can't make a partition correctly, there's no swap and when I put 98296 mb to root and boot but it goes to 67339 mb automatically and I can't make a swap partition (I have 500 GB).

    what I have to do???

    Edit: I messed up everything by closing the installer, shutting down and unplugging the pendrive, now it has no internet, somebody help me, please

    Edit 2: rebooted my PC without pressing any button, internet is back, can I reinstall manjaro somehow?

    submitted by /u/dysonomia
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding the Differences Between Official Ubuntu Flavors

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 06:38 PM PST

    I understand the surface level difference between Ubuntu and its seven officially recognized flavors is the default Desktop Environment's, but beyond that what differences are there?

    A secondary question with an example to help me clarify:
    What would be the difference between an Ubuntu instillation where I switch the DE for Xfce and a default Xubuntu instillation?

    Thanks for any sort of clarifications, just looking to understand the broad scope of Linux as best as I can!

    submitted by /u/pufftux
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good path for becoming proficient at linux?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:26 PM PST

    Linux+/LPIC-1 > LPIC-2 > LPIC-3 > RHCSA > RHCE

    I'm not a complete noob, I've used Amazon Linux 2 to install Snort, AIDE, setup a LAMP stack and I've modified some config files. But I'm missing way too much knowledge.

    Will this path teach me absolutely everything I need to know to put Linux down on my resume? I have no clue about awk, sed, grep and regex. Do any of these exams go through it, or will I have to learn it on my own?

    I'll only be paying for the Redhat exams. I just want the curriculum/objectives to follow as that's how I learn.

    submitted by /u/Silent-Corruption
    [link] [comments]

    Distro hopping on a dual boot?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:43 AM PST

    I currently have 2 operating systems installed (Windows 10 and Ubuntu). Planning on switching back to Manjaro. Can I use the partition Ubuntu is currently installed on to install Manjaro without somehow messing up my Windows 10 install? I'm pretty sure if I just replace Ubuntu with Manjaro, Windows 10 should still work just fine, but I just want to make sure.

    submitted by /u/Nae_Bolonz
    [link] [comments]

    Which process is blocking suspend? Pop OS

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 10:19 AM PST

    Hello, I use Pop OS. When I try to suspend the system - screen turns off but the PC keeps going on. How can I find out which process is running in the background that blocks system to go into suspend mode?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/robos12345
    [link] [comments]

    Implication of downgrading a lib? (POP OS 20.04)

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 02:02 PM PST

    I am trying to install a program (SAS 9.4) on my pop.os 20.04 and it requires some old libs.

    The "libnuma-dbg" requires the preinstalation of "libnuma1(=2.0.11-1ubuntu1.1)" while my system is on libnuma(2.0.12-1build1).

    I've downloaded the "libnuma1(=2.0.11-1ubuntu1.1)" from debian packages, but it asks me if I want to downgrade my actual version.

    1. Is it a problem?
    2. IF something goes wrong, can I just update it by "sudo apt update" ?
    3. Is there a way for me to install both versions? (if it is actually a problem to downgrade).
    submitted by /u/daykriok
    [link] [comments]

    Gnome Night Light not working

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:52 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    first of all I apologize if my English won't be so good as it's not my mother language.

    A few days ago I've installed Arch on my MacBook Pro 8,2 (Early 2011) with Gnome as DE.

    I've noticed Night Light never works, in both Wayland and Xorg, regardless set to "Manual" or "Sunset to Sunrise".

    Honestly I do not know what to check to troubleshoot this and googling for it never returned something useful. That's why I ended up posting here for advice.

    What I've already attempted, without success, has been:

    1. ensure Location Services is turned on
    2. setting a color profile
    3. using latest kernel and LTS kernel

    Here's a screenshot of neofetch with some further details about my configuration:

    https://preview.redd.it/i4gzm2a4cz961.png?width=874&format=png&auto=webp&s=9fbf78847814fe131a23c30b8c218ab5d0271b4a

    Driver in use for the graphic cards, according to "lspci -v" are:

    - Intel: i915

    - ATI: radeon

    Before installing Arch I was using Fedora 32 and 33 since last May and Night Light always worked successfully out of the box.

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Beyond46
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Freeze and Sound Repeat

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 03:12 AM PST

    So, my old pc is constantly freezing and sound repeat during that. I decided to install Manjaro in my old pc which was running Windows. I got this problem that my pc was constantly freezing and sound was repeating that time. So, i searched for solutions and couldn't find any which worked for me. So, i decided to switch distro, i tried others distros and am currently using MX, all of them are having this problem. I tried taking out GPU, harddisk etc, but none worked. But Windows is not having that problem at all. I want to use linux in this. So what might be causing it. Specs 4 GB RAM Core 2 Duo 500 GB Harddisk

    I am using 1 GB swap and others as one for my files. How can I fix it?

    submitted by /u/alphaCatalog
    [link] [comments]

    moving files like file managers on command line

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:29 PM PST

    how do i move files like dolphin does in the command line more specifically when i do
    apply to all>write into>apply to all>overwrite

    submitted by /u/bjkillas
    [link] [comments]

    See changes before and after installation

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 01:14 PM PST

    Hi guys, is there a way to see which files were created/changed during an installation of .deb package? I want to see specific files/destinations to track what is happening during the installation and compare the before/after state.

    submitted by /u/PlagueCze
    [link] [comments]

    Need help activating NVIDIA GPU - Zorin OS

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 12:59 PM PST

    I don't know what to do here any help is appreciated, as well as getting keyboard backlit wud be bonus

    https://preview.redd.it/2djp007u4z961.png?width=1802&format=png&auto=webp&s=34fad2ebaba4921e84e2ac04d08c3f082f462b57

    submitted by /u/Lughano
    [link] [comments]

    SuzyQ Cable?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 12:21 PM PST

    Im planning on installing pop os 20.10 on my asus chromebook C434. Ive been reading a lot about this and theres a lot of mention of a SuzyQ debug cable that will apparently make the process easier. Is it worth it to buy one of those cables or can I do it without.

    submitted by /u/badmuffin68
    [link] [comments]

    Failed to install Linux on second HDD

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:50 AM PST

    Hi all

    I've just failed terribly at trying to install Linux Mint on a second HDD I just bought for this exact purpose that I've fitted to my desktop.

    I managed to boot from the USB stick to the live environment and start the installer. I got the the partition selection section and picked "something else" then tried to install it on sdb (the new HDD) on which I made a swap partition and a / partition (just following guides I found online), with the bootloader selected to install on sda.

    Part way through the installation and I get an error saying it couldn't install the bootloader on sda. So I try selecting sdb. Pressing OK does nothing. I select a different partition, still can't press OK. Can't even press the X button so I restarted the computer, Win10 booted, and now here I am completely lost and confused.

    How, just how, do I install Linux Mint on my second HDD to allow me to dual boot/select between Win10 and Linux Mint at startup?

    submitted by /u/MaroonCrow
    [link] [comments]

    Exposing VM ports

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:40 AM PST

    If I open a port in a VM do I need to open also the equivalent port in the host ?

    F.e. Open a port on a VM for external access via ssh. Will the firewall from the host block it?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Don-g9
    [link] [comments]

    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows, stuck at the partitioning part

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 11:19 AM PST

    I burned a Linux ISO to my USB and I even tried the Liveinstall, everything pretty much works perfectly out of the box.

    However, the partitioning part is very confusing to me and I hear so much conflicting information on the web. I have a 230 GB HDD and I want to give 100 GB to Ubuntu 20.04 and the rest for Windows 10.

    A tutorial proposed me to use the built-in Windows tool to do this, but wouldn't let me shrink the volume beyond a certain point and the "classical" troubleshooting steps (disabling hibernation, system restore etc) didn't work out for me. Third party tools to partition my drive didn't work either and resulted in Blue Screens Of Death.

    Can someone explain me how can I achieve my goal (giving 100 GB to Ubuntu), what should be my next steps?

    Edit: I finally solved the problem. Basically I had to properly get rid of the system restore, pagefile.sys.
    I opened a command prompt as admin, typed in "powercfg.exe /h off",
    searched in the search bar for "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows", Advanced tab, untick "automatically manage paging file sizes for all drives", "No paging file" -> set, ok. I restarted my computer and I can finally partition my drive properly

    submitted by /u/Rotom-Linux
    [link] [comments]

    Error pairing huawei bluetooth mouse to huawei matebook D15 with ubuntu 20.04

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 07:25 AM PST

    Hi, I recently bought the huawei bluetooth mouse, but I'm not able to pair it to the laptop. I have already tried the common way and through the terminal (With bluetoothctl)

    In the terminal, It gave me this error:

    bluetoothctl Agent registered [bluetooth]# agent on Agent is already registered [bluetooth]# default-agent Default agent request successful [bluetooth]# pairable on Changing pairable on succeeded [bluetooth]# pair <MAC of my mouse> Attempting to pair with <Mouse> [CHG] Device <Mouse> Connected: yes [CHG] Device <Mouse> Connected: no Failed to pair: org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationCanceled 

    I would be very grateful if anyone here knows how to solve this error. Thanks a lot.

    Sorry for any possible grammar or expression mistake, English is not my first language.

    submitted by /u/csantam01
    [link] [comments]

    no yet switched, wonder if this is possible

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 05:10 AM PST

    so i have a integrated intel hd gpu in my cpu and a dedicated nvidia gpu.

    Is it possible to use the desktop envoirment (gonna use KDE) on my iGPU and then only run games or stuff like blender, davinci resolve on the dedicated gpu ? if yes, would that allow me to pass through the gpu into a vm in the case i need to do something in windows only software thats hard to emulate in wine (like adobe suite) since the dedicated gpu is only used when a game etc is running ?

    submitted by /u/PandaWorgenVulpera
    [link] [comments]

    HELP: Switch to AMDgpu to run Vulkan?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 06:31 AM PST

    I asked before, tried ArchWiki, but hell, I'm not tech savy at all. I run Manjaro on my old notebook with AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics CPU and AMD ATI Radeon R4/R5 Graphics GPU.

    How can I switch from radeon kernel driver to AMDgpu driver to run Vulkan?

    submitted by /u/shadowmaker_88
    [link] [comments]

    How to improve font rendering in Arch?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 11:28 PM PST

    Let's be honest.... After a clean install of Arch, the font rendering sucks. Ubuntu has far better font rendering. I've used Arch with gnome but even after turning on sub-pixel anti-aliasing and slight hinting in gnome-tweaks, they don't seem to improve. How to fix this??? Btw, this is an issue in every Arch based I've used (Manjaro, Endeavour OS, etc)

    submitted by /u/Arka543
    [link] [comments]

    i have this error and i don't know what to do.. i'm on chrome OS. im a noobie

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 08:53 AM PST

    I'm stuck in the initramfs command line after the boot disk disconnected due to a faulty cable. The computer reads the disk but it's not booting up to the GUI. Tried using fsck command too. All I can do is type in poweroff, neither the reboot command works. READ DMA faliure

    Posted: 06 Jan 2021 09:33 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel