• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, January 8, 2021

    IT Career [Week 01 2021] Resume Review!

    IT Career [Week 01 2021] Resume Review!


    [Week 01 2021] Resume Review!

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 01:12 AM PST

    Finding it is time to update the good old resume and want a second set of eyes and some feedback? Post it below and let us know what you need help with.

    Please check out our Wiki Section for Resumes before posting!

    Requesters:

    • Screen out personal information to protect yourself!
    • Be careful when using shares from Google Docs/Drive and other services since it can show personal information!
    • We recommend saving your resume as an image file and upload it to Imgur and using that version for review.
    • Give us a general idea where you would like some help!

    Feedback Providers:

    • Keep your feedback civil and constructive!
    • If you see a risk of personal information being exposed, please report it and notify moderators!

    MOD NOTE: This will be a weekly post every Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Sometimes you have to know when to bail. or, The Story of How I Found Out That Workplaces Don't Give a Shit About Us.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:25 AM PST

    little backstory:

    March will be 4 years in this position.

    When i started, I had no degree, no certs, and about 6 months of part-time IT experience.

    first year and a half was 3rd shift doing boring shit (pretty much just waiting for things to happen).

    after that I moved to project work full time - linux administration, automation, vulnerability scanning, app integration, etc.

    the projects were also security-based enough that I can look at getting my CISSP when I decide to take the exam.

    Not to toot my own horn, but I was that guy that all the PMs wanted on their projects because I got shit done, loved automating and process improving, and I worked my ass off.

    Until a year ago, I was hourly, and I working anywhere between 55 and 80 hours per week - so I made good money just because I got a shitload of overtime pay.

    Eventually they figured out it was better financially to just promote me to another title and make me salary.

    I made a little less per paycheck, but the yearly bonus was better, so it didn't bother me a whole lot.

    At this point, I had 45 completed projects under my belt, along with a long list of others where I helped in small ways, and no signs of stopping.

    Not once in the (almost) 4 years was I ever given an hourly rate increase outside of the cost of living increases they give everyone - my good paychecks came entirely from my overtime.

    When they moved me to salary, they gave me a "salary bump" to compensate for the overtime, but like I said - didn't fully compensate for the lost overtime money.

    In this time, I also completed my Bachelor's in IT, grabbed a handful of certs, started my MS, and had been studying my ass off with future goals of going for my OSCP.

    Partway through 2020, they put me on a new project that just did not go well.

    It was way out of my area of expertise, and the timeline that they wanted just wasn't feasible for me to learn and then also complete the project.

    So they kick me off the project, and hire 2 full-time developers to take my spot.

    Big red flag there.

    I'm not a developer at all - I do some Powershell, Bash, and Python for scripting - but that's it.

    and they had to hire 2 developers to take my place on one project.

    Along with this, they also took away my promotion - citing "not ready for full-time project work" as the reason.

    they knocked me back down to hourly, but also told me to cut down my overtime (this also happened right before Christmas, which fucking sucks when you have a family) - now I'm at a huge pay cut overall.

    So I started job hunting immediately.

    In less than a month, I had an offer for a government job as a Cybersecurity Engineer paying more than what I was making with all of the overtime + the bonus, but for a standard 40-hour/week job (plus some on-call once every 5 weeks or so as part of the rotation) - salary, great benefits (pension, insane PTO, etc).

    Giving my 2 weeks notice today and I'm excited not to look back.

    submitted by /u/GreekNord
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get and entry level job with no experience?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:06 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    To give some context, I'm a 24 yr old studying a Bsc in Computing & IT since October and have been applying to lot of entry level jobs but with no luck.

    Here's my CV

    Can you tell me what can I do to improve my chances of landing a job in IT?

    Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/RicardoL96
    [link] [comments]

    Wish me luck, entry level IT interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:39 AM PST

    I have an interview today, with an entry level IT(ish) job!!! I'm so excited! From what I've been told, it's email based tech support for Microsoft azure, on a ticket system. Even if it's phone based, I don't care, I am so excited to break into this industry and expand, I really think this is my start!

    submitted by /u/sawmillssuck
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Information Systems, good or waste of time?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 08:40 PM PST

    I am currently in my second year of college and am majoring in computer information systems. I'm wondering if this is a worth while degree that will be able to pay well and coordinate with a comfortable and somewhat free lifestyle. However, I am slightly concerned that Computer Science will be a better use of time and money. While I'm confident I can learn programming, mathematics is not an area I am very good at (Originally chose CIS because it wasn't as programming/math intensive). I've heard both good and bad things about CIS but any advice would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/fireshadow86
    [link] [comments]

    What Would be a Good Starting job to put on a Resume for a Future IT job?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:37 AM PST

    Hi there, I'm turning 16 very soon and want to work in the IT field when I'm older. My dad works in IT and has worked in it for a while. he's told me that it takes a lot of experience to really climb the "ranks" in the IT world and I understand that.

    Either way, I was going to work at Best Buy because I have a feeling that would be good to put on a resume for an actual IT job, however, they don't have any open positions where I am. I don't think putting a fast food place or supermarket on a resume for an IT career would be the best choice. Customer support would be helpful, as in most IT entry-level jobs you're working at a desk answering questions anyway, but I'd prefer something that requires you to have knowledge in technology, or another job along the lines of that.

    My question is: What would be a good starting job that I can put on a resume for a future IT job? (that hires at 16 and isn't Best Buy.)

    submitted by /u/GamerFromStatefarm
    [link] [comments]

    Career advice for a support person with a 7 years of experience. Where to move next?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:08 AM PST

    Hello guys,

    I have been working as a support analyst for the last 7 years. Right now I am a senior application support analyst in a Consulting company. I have tried coding in the past but I came to a conclusion I don't have passion for it. I feel like I am stuck for the last few years and I am not sure in which direction to go. Recently I have been thinking of moving into the Salesforce career path but I don't see many career opportunities... I live in Poland but I would like to move with my family to Switzerland. Are there people with similar experiences that could give me a hint what skills are most important now in the IT field? I was thinking about learning cloud technologies like AWS or Azure but from what I know I need to have coding skills.

    Many thanks for any help and happy Friday everyone!

    submitted by /u/Alkus92
    [link] [comments]

    Request fellow network engineers to share their troubleshooting notes/SOP

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 04:52 AM PST

    I am a L2 network engineer with R&S, Security (ASA, palo alto) and wireless experience. Whenever i encounter a new issue and eventually solve it, i have always made it a point to note the troubleshooting steps, how a particular protocol works, etc. This is info that is not covered in certs and that one can learn only in real world troubleshooting. This is how i solve many issues that i encounter even after a gap of long period.

    My hunch is many others might be keeping similar notes/SOP. Can fellow network engineers share their troubleshooting notes/SOP's?

    As there are some areas in n/w where iam week due to lack of adequate exposure, i could use with a few reference material. I don't mind sharing my notes (R&S, ASA, VPN) if someone has a similar need. Hope this is not a odd request :)

    submitted by /u/geek166
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on this Job Description for Cloud Infrastructure Engineer

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 08:59 AM PST

    I received this from a recruiter who sought me out on Indeed and just wanted to see if my take on this description is correct. What are your thoughts?

    Salary Range: 60k - 100k

    Junior / Mid-Level Infrastructure Engineer The ideal candidate will bring 1 to 4 years of experience with Cloud / DevOps Engineering along with Terraform.

    • 1 to 3 years of experience with Azure Engineering to include Azure Resource Templates, Policies and Governance Plans, Azure Resource Manager (ARM), Azure DevOps and Automation Account.
    • Working knowledge / experience with AWS Terraform
    • Thorough understanding of Azure Active Director.
    • Experience deploying web and service-based applications in Windows / Linux environments.
    • Scripting experience in Linux, Bash or Python scripting
    • Understanding of DNS, DHCP, subnetting, and network security
    • Database administration
    • Strong troubleshooting skills
    • User / Permissions management with principle of least privilege
    • CI / CD (Any of Gitlab, Jenkins, Azure DevOps, Circle CI, or similar)
    • Build scripts and dependency management (Any of Maven, Ant, Pip, Nuget, NPM, or similar)
    • NGINX or Apache web server configuration
    • Containers and Container Orchestration (Docker, ECS, Fargate, etc.)
    • Web Server, Application Server, and HTTP API troubleshooting
    • Understanding of HTTP headers, caching, and CDNs
    • Infrastructure as Code and config management (Cloudformation, Terraform)
    submitted by /u/ny_soja
    [link] [comments]

    My boss just walked into my office and laid me off, but wants to keep me on as a consultant. What to do?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 08:33 AM PST

    I was working as the sole IT staff at this company, (about 30 people in offices, with 20 or so more remote or mobile employees.

    I handled everything from running cable for new buildings to managing Windows Server migrations, dumb printers to plasma tables and waterjets. The list goes on.

    As with everyone else, we slowed down a lot during COVID, but had plans to add a branch office to cover more of the SoCal area. Branch office VPN and all was set up by myself.

    I'm half expecting them to say "Yeah we'll keep you on as a consultant" then never call me again.

    What do I tell them?

    *EDIT * I was also told my a friend to mention that I did not receive any severance, just was handed an envelope and my boss explained that I was being laid off due to lack of work.

    submitted by /u/Brink_GG
    [link] [comments]

    30 years old, BS in electronics engineering, 3 yrs ios dev, A+ cert, but no corporate IT experience. Looking for a career change into IT with a focus on getting a decent paying job where I work from home sometimes. IT is pretty broad, what specific roles should I be studying up/reaching for?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 05:45 AM PST

    I have a lot of general low level IT experience (The unofficial IT guy at work), a BS in electronics engineering, 3 years of free lance iOS programming experience, and about to get my A+ certification. I'd like to have a path moving forward and my main goal is a decent paying job while being able to work from home sometimes.

    There are many paths and roles to reach for in IT, what should I be shooting for?

    Not looking to get into an iOS role, but it'd love to leverage the programming experience for something in IT.

    Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/QuickIOS
    [link] [comments]

    Switch company and take a pay cut to work get more into IT?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:44 AM PST

    So to keep it brief, I've been working as the IT guy (the only one) in a small transport company for the past six years (stayed here because salary is good, related to other companies in the small town whre I live). Even though I have a lot of responsibility, my job is limited to level 1 support, and levels 2 and 3 are being managed by an outsourced company. Besides my support tasks, I'm doing a ton of management things, IT-related paperwork, and some other things that don't even have anything to do with IT.

    I would really like, and I think I have a pretty good chance to move to this IT company and start working there as a level 1 support tech. Thing is I would be having a paycut because that position pays less (I've already asked to people that works there and their salaries are about 25% less than mine currently is). In excahge to the paycut, I would be having a lot of contact wih level 2 and 3 technologies over time, and a pretty good chance to improve my resume, since I would be working with technologies all day (no more administrative work, which I hate btw). My goal is to be a sysadmin / cloud engineer some day.

    Would you make that move in my place?

    submitted by /u/somehowhuman
    [link] [comments]

    I have a BBA Information Systems degree. What can I do to become a software engineer?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 10:32 AM PST

    Basically, I went to business school thinking I wanted to do investment banking. Hated finance classes, and Information Systems was the closest thing to computer science.

    I'm graduating with a 3.7 GPA from a top 30 school. I've taken 1 intro programming class in python and mainly business classes.

    What should I do to become a software engineer?

    1. Self-learn programming languages and build a portfolio of projects

    2. Programming Bootcamp

    3. Apply for MS in CS (most schools require undergrad degrees in CS, so I don't know how feasible this is).

    submitted by /u/jacorn313
    [link] [comments]

    No degree no experience looking for entry/internship jobs

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 10:21 AM PST

    Im trying to either find internships or entry jobs while I study for my a+net+sec+ because if im studying and doing i learn better but I dont even know what to look for. Can anyone help me?

    submitted by /u/Howdie122401
    [link] [comments]

    Have a background in IT. What are some of the best resources to learn about networking?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:53 AM PST

    I'm currently a graduate student in IT (Telecommunications). Most of the courses I have passed were related to physical layer, though I also had two courses related to higher layers like Network layer. I'm interested in having a job related to networking. But my knowledge in that area is limited.

    I'm looking for good resources that can help me in that department. I've also been using Linux (Opensuse) for the past two weeks and try to tinker with it time to time. If any certification would help to boost my career, I've would be thankful to know.

    Thanks and stay safe everyone.

    submitted by /u/MostRosesAreRed
    [link] [comments]

    I Went From Broke To 7 Figures A Year Working In IT. AMA

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:44 AM PST

    Hi r/itcareerquestions!

    20 years or so ago I got my first IT job, doing tech support part-time for a little over minimum wage while living in my car. Today, I'm lucky to be making 7 figures annually as a high level PM Manager at a FAANG while living in a low/medium cost of living area. I've spent most of my career at places like Google, Facebook, and other top tier tech companies.

    I'm here to answer your questions and to help you find the same success I did! I've been extremely lucky to have friends and mentors that could help me along the way and so this is just an attempt to pay that forward a bit.

    BTW, I'm using an alt because some IRL friends and family know my main reddit name. I have been verified by the mods.

    submitted by /u/TechnicallyPM
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain the different areas when it comes to IT careers?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:29 AM PST

    I know there's many. I'm very interested into IT as a whole and wanted to know descriptions of the paths I can take to see which one suits me best. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Astrotter81
    [link] [comments]

    Recent Graduate looking to get my foot through the door

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:20 AM PST

    I just recently graduated with a bachelors degree in Information Systems and I'm having some trouble gaining entry into the field. My long term goal is to be a software developer. I've learned several programming languages and built a portfolio with some project including an e-commerce site and some clones. Since I do not have a CompSci degree I am looking to start at a Help Desk role and after gaining some experience refocus my attention to software development. My question is what can I do to increase my chances of getting a help desk support job. I have 4+ experience in a resident support role in a property management environment. So I am used to handling high call volume at a fast paced environment dealing with customer complaints and issues. I am currently working on getting my Comptia A+ certificate. I have optimized my resume but I am having trouble with my cv. What should I state in my cover letter or resume to help me stand out? Your input is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/PotentialGrowth0010
    [link] [comments]

    In the hardware side of IT, want to go to the software side.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 09:08 AM PST

    A little background:

    Got my dual associates in networking/programming back in 2010, wasn't able to get an entry level software job, but managed to get into my current position after years of trying to find anything IT related.

    Fast forward 6 years, and I've gone from help desk, to a 50-100 employee company's "network administrator". Which is really just what I was always doing, managing active directory/exchange, and various windows servers, along with backups.

    I've come to kind of hate this side of IT though, but every time I have the rare opportunity to do anything code related, it's like a breath of fresh air. I'd felt the same way back in college, but had to settle for the job that I'm in now, was never able to find an entry level coding position.

    Some questions I keep asking myself as I casually browse job listings:

    When I'm searching for that first coding job, is it valuable to highlight experience like: "Created automated daily excel reports using SQL, VBA, and powershell for end users", or am I better off just listing my 2 year programming degree, and mentioning my much more limited javascript exposure? Rather than listing what in my mind, is probably going to be interpreted as "made excel reports".

    Is it even feasible to get that first programming job without either a large portfolio of work to point at, or a 4 year degree? Really trying to avoid attempting to go back to college, as I'm already in my 30s.

    Are there any job titles that correlate with entry level programming jobs? Most of what I encounter, seems to be looking for people with vastly more experience than I've got.

    submitted by /u/MobileShrineBear
    [link] [comments]

    How many of you rely on Glassdoor reviews before taking an offer at a company?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 08:34 AM PST

    I might have an opportunity coming up and I looked at the company and they have poor reviews. Some of the reviews are from the IT staff.

    Granted, the IT reviews are a 1+ year old and other reviews are from other departments.

    I doubt Glassdoor is the end all be all.

    Do you guys have other sites where you visit for reviews and do you take them with a grain of salt or not?

    submitted by /u/SeekNDestroy-
    [link] [comments]

    How to get my career back on track, looking for advice

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 08:34 AM PST

    I'm looking for advice or suggestions on how to get my IT career back on track. I graduated in 2016 with a Bachelor's in CIT. As my wife was finishing her degree, I was forced to stay in my small college town and IT jobs were hard to come by. It was the classic paradox of 'entry level' positions requiring 2-4 years of experience. Sorry in advance for the long post.

    My first job out of school was a computer technician working for a local school district where I mostly powered computers off and on again. Months later I found another job coding surveys for a phone survey company. Once I finished training I was given a 40,000 year salary. However I started working 60+ hours a week. I got burnt out and my employer moved onto the next sucker (I later learned they never had a programmer stay on for more than a year). They told me I was worthless and I was depressed for a few months.

    I bounced back with a travel job working for Dell working as a project lead for a Window 10 deployment project for the USAF. It sounds fancy but all we did was deliver and set up pre-imaged computers to desks all across air force bases.

    After the contract was completed I then worked as a technical support manager supporting company software that tracked computer and software usage for analytic purposes. On top of customer facing skills it required data analytics and SQL.

    However I recently lost my job and have been spending that last two months applying and interviewing for similar support positions. I'm starting to doubt my hireability or if I still want to work with clients facing tech support roles.

    I think my biggest disillusionment was the value of a college degree. I have many interviews where I was told directly that they did not care about my degree, it was all about certifications. In my contract job with Dell anyone with any kind of IT cert automatically got paid more even if they did not have any college education.

    I enjoy databases and think that security is a fascinating subject. I feel that certifications are going to be the key to me getting better and more fulfilling jobs, but I'm just not sure where to start. What good is a security cert if I don't have any relevant work experience? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/Pokemonmaster05
    [link] [comments]

    Certifications worth pursuing if I have a BS in CompSci?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 08:22 AM PST

    Long story short, I graduated and received my CS degree in 2017 but I was not a strong student. After graduation I tried applying to several entry-level software engineering jobs but could never clinch one. I think my interviewing skills, portfolio, and skill level, period, were too weak to make it. I walked away feeling defeated and intimidated so I took a help desk support job at a local org 2 years ago. When I started they made it seem like education and shadowing opportunities would be available internally, but despite my insistence of wanting further training/education for advancement, I haven't been given any such opportunity. Especially in the midst of the Covid pandemic, I understand that sort of thing might not be possible at the moment, so it seems to me that an option forward is to pursue certs on my own time to look more appealing to other potential employers. So I decided what interested me was network engineering roles or cloud computing. I tried looking into those but the progression isn't immediately clear to me and I see lots of dispute about what's "worth it." For example, I saw in one discussion that Net+ is basically the foot in the door, while in another it was said that the CompTIA certs were basically worthless. So let me phrase it like this: if my end goal is to get an Amazon, Microsoft, or Google Cloud Computing cert, what should I be doing right now to get there, and what are some things I can do along the way? Also I would be super appreciative of any resources to help get me there.

    submitted by /u/ThoseWhoSlither
    [link] [comments]

    Jumped from Support Tech to Junior DevOps Engineer! Huge thanks to this sub

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:14 AM PST

    So a little intro first.
    I went to a High School focusing on Tourism. I have no idea why I went to this school, but I was a teenager who could not have cared less for anything but video games.

    Fast forward a couple of years and I finish school and I am off to college. Decide to major in Economics and Business but quit college really soon (Didn't really like my college's administration at all)

    After quitting college I had to think about a career and what I really wanna do in life. My parents have been working in IT for their whole lives and I was always surrounded by computers and technology while growing up. Being addicted to video games, whenever something was not working, I would bother my dad to fix it. So one day he sat down with me a taught me how to Google. Since then, I had been Googling and troubleshooting all the issues on my own. I enjoyed the aspects of tweaking, troubleshooting and just analyzing problems and finding solutions. Applied for an Information Technician position and got the job with zero experience.

    Worked for a year and a half without even thinking about what I'm gonna do in 10 years.

    I was having money issues in august and boom then it hit me. I need to start thinking about my career and progressing to better payed positions.

    Discovered this sub and starting researching everything. Soon I realized I was interested in DevOps, Cloud and Cybersecurity. After studying the local market, I decided to start working on learning DevOps. Bought a KodeKloud subscription and started studying DevOps according to the DevOps roadmap on GitHub. Made a homelab, bought a Raspberry Pi and started learning as much as I could
    Looked for a job that would get me some relevant experience since I had 0 certs and found a Linux Support Technician in November. Got the job and learned a lot of stuff.

    2 days ago I had an interview for a Junior DevOps position and aced it. Got a call a couple of hours later from the company, saying they were stunned by my ambition and offering me a contract.
    Said yes to the contract and got a 50% pay increase from my last job.
    All the info on this sub had proven to be incredibly useful and I was able to land an amazing job without any certifications.

    My key takeway from this is the following:
    1. Get some IT experience: any job is great, field tech, helpdesk, service desk, anything will boost your chances alot.
    2. Work on getting relevant certs: try to get a couple of relevant certs to add to your portfolio. It will help you bypass HR and get and interview
    3. Make as many projects as you can: add any relevant projects to your portfolio (anything goes seriously!)
    4. Keep applying to as many positions as possible: in reality, it is a numbers game, keep applying and someone will find you interesting.

    Just wanted to thank this sub once again for everything! You gus rock!

    TL:DR
    Got my dream job as a DevOps Engineer in only 6 months by following advice from this sub and working hard on my goals.

    submitted by /u/Marijanturcic
    [link] [comments]

    Which website or resource is your go to for remote positions

    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 07:07 AM PST

    I'm looking for some remote work and I'm not sure what I would do to just find those type of roles. Is there a website just for remote positions?

    And also, is there companies that you guys happen to know that pay well? Be had a couple of remote positions in the past and they usually paid well below what I would for a regular job

    submitted by /u/shathecomedian
    [link] [comments]

    Is it really possible to get a decent paying IT job with an A+ cert and experience?

    Posted: 07 Jan 2021 12:38 PM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I'm an IT Specialist with 5 years of experience with many different aspects of IT. I have no college degree and I'm about to get my A+ certification.

    An older man I work with, who has been doing this for 30 years, insists all I need to make around 50k a year, with my experience, is this A+ cert (he makes sure to reiterate how incredibly likely it is for me to immediately get a better job elsewhere if I just get this certification every time we talk about it)

    I'm not sure how plausible this sounds to me though. I'm studying for it very hard regardless, as I'm a single father and cannot afford to live on 29k a year anymore. Every new job opportunity that rolls around seems to hover around $15 an hour.. I'm willing to do anything I need to do to get somewhere better. I need to for the sake of my kid.

    Any advice or guidance is deeply appreciated..

    submitted by /u/ueMistake_not
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel