• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 14, 2020

    "WHAT" is your password? Tech Support

    "WHAT" is your password? Tech Support


    "WHAT" is your password?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:57 AM PST

    Hello there,

    I had a hilarious encounter today that ended up sounding like a run of "Who's on First?".

    Someone calls that they cannot get into their specific web application. They tried entering the password, it did not work. They tried resetting it, and it still did not work.

    We fire up a screen share session, and I see that they are entering the password in the correct place, and it's not working. No CAPS LOCK. "Why don't you tell me your password so that I can enter it?"

    "What."

    "The password."

    "Correct."

    "The password is correct?"

    "No, what."

    "The password."

    "What."

    "WHAT IS THE PASSWORD."

    "Correct."

    "NO, tell me the password."

    "WHAT!"

    "THE PASSWORD."

    "DOUBLE-YOU HAITCH AY TEE. WHAT."

    "THE PASSWORD IS THE WORD 'WHAT' !?!"

    "CORRECT!!!"

    "Well, I'm glad your last name is not WHO."

    It was Amazing.

    submitted by /u/jkeegan123
    [link] [comments]

    "But I was told to plug it in!"

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:42 PM PST

    It's your favorite VoIP tech support nerd back at it with facepalms to go around!

    Ticket comes in saying "the phone is not programmed anymore". Ok, vague, but let's roll with it.

    Phone dropped registration in January.... Ok, some people wait a while to open tickets.

    I call the site and have them explain a bit of what's going on.

    They have two phones in a host area, one works, one doesn't. I want to isolate the issue so I have them swap the phones, because this sounds like an issue with the port

    They swap the non working phone to the first and it works fine. However, they have trouble plugging in the second phone.

    "It's too small!"

    Make sure it's aligned the right way.

    "It won't!"

    It dawns on me that maybe it's a phone plug, and not Ethernet. I ask them where the cable is plugged.

    "It's plugged in the phone jack "

    Ok, you need Ethernet, not a phone cable

    "But you said to plug it in!"

    Ethernet, you have one, correct? Do you have another? You need Ethernet cables for these phones, not old ones

    And then they proceed to hangup on me. I advised the account manager that it's, well, an inside wiring issue.

    submitted by /u/EhManana
    [link] [comments]

    The Hot Dog in the hardware

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:28 PM PST

    So a bit of a background as a teenager I worked/interned at a local children's home (think mix of orphanage and rehabilitation program)

    So while working at the home I had pretty typical onsite tech support tasks, we did a lot of set up and tear down for various events, made sure kids didn't get outside of the allowed website, ECT

    However this story comes from one of our more interesting tasks,

    From time to time we would have to go down to the various housing units and fix a computer that was acting up

    These desktops had a locking plate on them that prevented them from being opened by the kids

    And the tech support department had the only set of keys to these locks

    So around lunch time we get a call from one of the units saying their computer isn't working

    We come down to the unit, and as soon as we entered a very smokey scent filled the air

    So we get to work

    We try all the basic tricks to get this thing running again, but we keep getting error and squeals coming from the tower

    So my boss has me open the computer up, and out pops a half eaten frankfurter

    It was probably raw when it was placed inside the PC, but it had been slightly cooked by the computers power supply

    We had to take it back to the shop (a closet we worked out of) clean the parts and then the computer worked like new

    But to this day I'm not sure how the hotdog got into the case

    submitted by /u/SentientSickness
    [link] [comments]

    New Job Means New Woes

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 03:01 PM PST

    Long time, no story TFTS.

    I've recently gotten to start my first Senior Systems Admin position, and while there's been the usual adjustment pains to start with, I've already had my fair share of crazy rules and projects thrown my way. At this time, I have a project to migrate an entire Hyper-V environment into a new VMWare environment. While it's time consuming, it should be simple as long as I get answers when I need them. Many of these servers hold software I'm still in the discovery process with, trying to make sure that migrating them would not cause any errors in our infrastructure. That said, I'm also told that we have a "strict deadline" for this projects completion. The date has yet to be shared, but I'm being told to just "get it done." So, as part of my processes, I put in scheduled down time for a batch of servers over night, or over the weekend for the migration and troubleshooting, and then make an announcement about the successful, or unsuccessful migrations after the work is completed. To start any of this, I must have manager and director approval to avoid downtime against any of the users. On the bright side it keeps my butt safe to a degree having a paper trail. The first few servers were simple, active directory, DNS and DHCP, file servers, your standard core items that would be kinda high priority. Then we start hitting the software that you need to tip toe around. Security servers, print job servers that use 3rd party software to work with said security servers, custom SQL servers hosting company made software, and more. I've asked for anything I should know about with these servers, and the typical answers are usually "it shouldn't break with the migration. Just re-IP and you should be good." You got it, I did that, I troubleshoot to verify what I can, things seem good. I'm wrong.

    Your Crew: OP - Me, AD - Angry Director, AS - Angry Security, CM - Confused Manager

    I wake up Monday at 6:30am to my phone going apeshit. 5 new calls in 3 minutes, a number of texts, and Teams chat is going crazy. Another call comes in from CM, I answer.

    Me: "Morning CM, I'm guessing something is broken if you're calling this early."

    CM: " I'm getting calls from AD, and AS saying that ID cards aren't scanning in, and now no one can access the main office. What did you move this weekend?"

    Me: "Only the servers I got the green light on. They're showing up successfully in DNS, I have access to them, and all services were showing active and running on test."

    CM: "Well, you're going to need to get in immediately, because we have to deal with this if it's on our end. I'm already getting my ass chewed out my AD trying to buy time, so the sooner you can keep it from becoming hamburger would be appreciated."

    Me: "Understood, getting dressed and heading out."

    About 10 minutes into the drive, I get another call, this time from our AS who's upset he's having to key in everything through the front door for every person.

    AS: "Me, what's your ETA?! This shit is getting ridiculous, and won't be happening all day!"

    Me: "I'm still driving to the office, AD and CM still haven't approved my VPN access, so I can't immediately work on it from home. Be there in 10."

    AS: "Fucking bullshit." Hangs up

    Eight minutes later, I'm there, I use my key to get in the side door, and get to my desk. CM is pacing the halls, AD is no where to be seen yet, but I have that spine tingling feeling that he's nearby and approaching. So I log into the servers that were moved. DNS sees them, I can reach them, I remote in, all seems well, except now the server is throwing licensing errors for the security system. I go in, and it says that the system is now invalid due to new hardware settings, something that was not explained would happen during my discovery process internally, or with the company who provides the software. I attempt to re-key it, no good. Try to validate licensing again, nothing. So I call up support for the software support, give them the explanation and the key info. The express apologies, give new keys and we're green. I thank them for their time, and hang up. Not even a minute afterwards, AD and CM are now at my desk.

    AD: "Where are we with this?! This is an absolute embarrassment to us that this could happen! I need answers!"

    Me: " I've just finished addressing the issue. Security should be good to go now. Apparently the migration killed our licensing for the software when it was moved. Claimed new hardware it wasn't licensed for."

    AD: "Why wasn't this accounted for during your process? You should've been aware this was going to cause an outage!"

    Me: "I have it documented that I made calls to the security software company, and asked internally about this. My received answers are on the project tickets I have."

    CM: "Why couldn't this wait till you were foolproof? We could've avoided this headache?"

    Me: "Because it was explained to me by the team during our meetings that this was priority and needed to get done. I did the best I could being only a few months here to make sure this would be safe. It's an unexpected growing pain, but we're good now."

    AD: "Me, if you expect to continue working here, you need to be more careful about what you do. You can't be taking down systems like that just because you feel like it!"

    Me: "The work was approved AD. You and CM signed off on it. If there's a new procedure to be followed, let me know."

    I point to the signed e-doc, and AD just walks off. CM sighs and also walks off, and I sit there wondering what I've walked into. Grass just isn't always greener on the side. Sometimes it's the same brown colored shit you left, just with a different coat of paint to hide it.

    submitted by /u/Tension27
    [link] [comments]

    Tech Support from above

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:32 AM PST

    TL;DR at bottom, apologies for formatting.

    One Thursday, I had cherry-picked a sweet cable pull in one of my favourite admin buildings in a multi-building facility. (We do a lot of Government contractor install/servicing work for a wide variety of networked and non-networked equip, regional Australia)

    Those who have cable jerked before might appreciate this building. It's also relevant to the story.
    - old, solid timber, single story
    - 100m (328') long, no fire walls
    - 600mm wide (23") platform walkway running the length of the building on the roof trusses, 2m (6.5') clearance to roof
    - ladder trays for different services within easy reach of the walkway
    Some time ago, the asbestos sheet ceiling had been removed and tiles put in.

    I'm moving along the walkway in the ceiling space neatly tying cable to a tray, thinking happy thoughts about the free blueberry muffins I know will be at the next site later on, when I hear from below..

    "Sandra (not real), can you put in a ticket please, I've forgotten my login to the CCTV system"

    It was the OSHA Manager calling to admin staff across the hall.

    BACKGROUND
    The systems we put in across this facility were standalone until a couple of years before when they got added to this sites Gov't intranet.
    Despite the Gov't Regional IT Directors repeated "No. Third. Party. Crap. On. My. Networks", the orders came from on high and it got done.

    The deal struck was that we would still maintain the systems, but any software/firmware etc upgrades had to be vetted and okayed prior. Gov't IT would make sure our 'dirty 3rd party equipment' didn't leak any '3rd party filthyness' onto their networks. (I'm sure it's quite a bit more technical than that, but that's how this electrician says it). We also lost our remote access.
    For the <European Manufacturer> CCTV system we still created users and set permissions just like before, then copied Gov't IT for their records. At the time, there were 147 IP cameras, 8 fibre connected hubs and 6 users.

    A few days before this story takes place, we'd added the OSHA Manager to the CCTV system as a basic user.
    Gov't IT upgraded the workstation (CCTV client, graphics card and monitor), and I showed the OSHA Manager how to login and look at the pretty pictures.

    BACK TO THE STORY

    I'm in the ceiling and hear the..

    "Sandra (not real), can you put in a ticket please, I've forgotten my login to the CCTV system".

    I pull my mobile out to email the OSHA Manager, but then have an idea.
    Instead, I pull out my trusty Spirax No.560 notepad.
    Write the CCTV client name, their login, their password, rip the page out, fold it into a paper plane.
    Step off the walkway onto the top of their office wall, pry up one side of a ceiling tile away from their desk, launch the tech support into a nearby wall, put the tile back, step back onto the walkway.

    Back on the walkway I hear..

    "Thank you up there. Sandra, don't worry about the ticket."

    After finishing in the ceiling shortly after, I went to the OSHA Managers office to see if they needed any help.
    Had a laugh when I saw the plane refolded and sitting at the base of the monitor.

    Easy job, free muffins and hijinks. What a good day.

    TL;DR: In the right place at the right time to offer a user some aerial login support.

    OSHA Note: I've worked in all types of ceilings for years with no ill-effect. Moving around in ceilings is straight-forward and safe when you do it properly. No real risks were taken in this event. The OSHA Manager didn't have any concerns.
    (Personally, I only know of 1 person who's been all the way through a ceiling and made it to the floor. Usually, if there is an incident in a ceiling from a mis-step, it results in some cracked plaster or at worst a foot sticking into a room. The idiot who fell had been taking selfies, in a ceiling. Yeah, nah, don't do that.)

    submitted by /u/OlderSparky
    [link] [comments]

    Dev vs support - not my problem... Or it is?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 02:33 PM PST

    Again, sorry for my writing, I'm not a native english speaker

    It was a beautiful sunday morning, well I believe it was because I was trying to recover some sleep hours, suddenly, a notification on my phone awakened me (how I hate work group chats), looked into the chat and then realized it was a problem with the servers in development I mentioned here, so, my first reaction was "not my problem" and returned to sleep, two minutes after, my cellphone began to ring.

    $me (to myself): Don't... Come on... Not your problem... Drop that phone.

    After some time fighting against my finger that was trying to answer that call, finally the phone stopped ringing (oof, dodged that bullet), in that moment I began to stalk the chat.

    $user: System isn't working, help!

    $idkLead: Have you tried contacting $me or $coworker?

    $user: Yes, but they're not answering the phone

    $idkLead: $boss, $me and $coworker aren't answering our calls

    $boss: Well, $devLead or the product owner should be solving that problem, why aren't they here?

    $idkLead: They're both on vacations

    $boss: Ok then, who's in their place?

    $idkLead: ...

    $boss: Well, it's a server in development, both responsibles are on vacations, you only have one client connected to that platform, $me and $coworker doesn't have remote access to them, so if even if they are available, they need to move and it would take at least 1 hour, how about this, cancel your tests today and $me checks what happened tomorrow at first hour

    $idkLead & $user: Ok, let's do that

    On monday, I checked the status of the server, the problem was the storage cluster that was down and proceeded to start it, sent an email explaining the problem and indicating them with who they could check why the cluster was down.

    Then, the next sunday, the same error happened (ok, we could say their system is stable, it's going down every sunday), and the events were almost the same as the previous ones with little differences like $devLead and the product owner returning from their vacation, the next day I received a mail.

    From: $userDirector

    To: $boss

    CC: Celestial court

    Subject: Problems on weekends

    @$boss, the past two sundays we had incidents with the system and your team wasn't helpful at all, we need to talk.

    I'm having a bad feeling about this.

    submitted by /u/Ecurat
    [link] [comments]

    HELP! I plugged my phone to the speakers, now it won't turn on!

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:40 AM PST

    My cousin messaged me that she wanted to play some tunes at the shop she's working at, as soon as she did, her phone turned off, and won't show any life. So she messaged me.

    $Cousin: Cousin. My LG phone is broken. Thought, I plugged it in the speakers, but wasn't it. Now, it won't turn on!

    $Me: Can you send me a picture of what you plugged into the phone?

    $Cousin: *Sends pic of what she plugged in.*

    $Me: *Facepalm*

    That picture shows a plugged in power adapter, with a barrel connector on one end. It looks like, she mistaken a power cord for a auxiliary cord. Then, I realized that the speaker is Bluetooth speaker. She has used the speakers before on her phone, via Bluetooth. I questioned her. Why she even thought of plugging her phone to it.

    $Me: Cousin, didn't you use this speaker before?

    $Cousin: Yes.

    $Me: And you forgot that the speaker is a bluetooth speaker?

    $Cousin: Ooohhhh... Is the phone fixable?

    $Me: More likely, the motherboard is fried, and needs to be replaced.

    $Cousin: *Begins to whine, like Homer Simpson*. Can you recover the pictures?

    $Me: Unless, I can get the phone to turn on. Then nope.

    $Cousin: *Continues whining like Homer Simpson.*

    I guess, that's another good thing about the absence of a headphone jack on newer flagship phones. It's gonna be a lil' difficult for some people to kill their phones.

    submitted by /u/MNLYEvangelista
    [link] [comments]

    I'll deny your help!

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 05:39 AM PST

    I overheard this story from my team leader while on lunch with him, so some details may not be accurate, but it was dumb so I can't help sharing this.

    About a week ago, my colleague (whom we shall call C) got a message from user, asking for some help that I was not informed of, as I'm just an intern. C decided to remote into the user's desktop to attempt to help. Apparently, my team lead (TL) decided to head upstairs to user's desk, in case something happened that required his help on the spot.

    Upon reaching user's desk, my TL noticed the remote login prompt that C had prompted, and my TL just stood there and looked at the user, wondering if she'd do anything. User just stared into space.

    TL: Uh, you wanna allow that?

    User continued to stare into space, while my TL stood there in disbelief. After a while more, my TL decided that this was stupid (or something, I'm not a mind reader) and just spoke up:

    TL: Nevermind, I'll do it for you

    And so my TL clicked on the allow button for the user, and all ended well.

    End users: Why do you guys ask for help but refuse to let us do our jobs??????

    submitted by /u/IsThisKaii
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel