• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, February 6, 2020

    Linux Was trying to update Ubuntu 19.04 to 19.10, upgrade of packages went smoothly and computer restarted. Stuck here. Need help here, don't know what to do? Laptop is Dell Inspiron 5520 core i5, with dual boot with Windows 7

    Linux Was trying to update Ubuntu 19.04 to 19.10, upgrade of packages went smoothly and computer restarted. Stuck here. Need help here, don't know what to do? Laptop is Dell Inspiron 5520 core i5, with dual boot with Windows 7


    Was trying to update Ubuntu 19.04 to 19.10, upgrade of packages went smoothly and computer restarted. Stuck here. Need help here, don't know what to do? Laptop is Dell Inspiron 5520 core i5, with dual boot with Windows 7

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:40 AM PST

    Should I Use Photoshop or GIMP on Linux?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:35 AM PST

    I used Photoshop and After Effects for a long time and using them is easier to me. I know what I am doing with those programs.
    Many people recommends GIMP as a Photoshop alternative. I tried to use GIMP but it was so difficult to use. Should I use Photoshop (and other Adobe programs) with Wine, will I get same or close performance as I'm using them in Windows or switching to GIMP or another open source alternatives would be a better decision? And are there any alternatives different than GIMP?

    submitted by /u/w_c_a_t
    [link] [comments]

    Easy anti cheat

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:56 AM PST

    I am new to linux (about 2 months) and use ubuntu and have noticed on the easy anticheat page for supported os`s ( https://www.easy.ac/en-us/support/game/guides/os/ ) it sais it has sup[port for Ubuntu Linux I was wondering how I installed it and if I did could I run games that require it such as apex legends or any of the other games ( https://www.easy.ac/en-us/partners/ )

    Any help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/Cyber_Skely
    [link] [comments]

    verify everything was tarred?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:34 AM PST

    I work on a remote cluster and had to tar a bunch of directories from one volume to the other (so that I could work with the tared data from one of the compute nodes). It didn't occur to me that some of the tar commands might fail (to complete).

    So now I have to verify the contents are the same. Who has a good way to do this?

    My plan currently is to untar everything, rsync everything, and then retar. Surely there is a better way however? I believe that most everything did car correctly.

    submitted by /u/must_defend_500
    [link] [comments]

    OpenRC cannot find dhcpcd, and GRUB issues (Parabola)

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:59 PM PST

    I've been trying to install parabola for about a week now, and I have a couplke of hurdles I am yet to overcome. My first problem is that I am unable to enable DHCP as described in the wiki beginners guide. I found out that each package also has an openrc package equivelant, but installing that on both the live iso and in '/' hasn't helped me.

    When I try to enable the service via rc-update, its saying dhcpcd doesn't exist.

    Also, the last time I tried to install the os on my virtualbox vm, I ran into a boot failure issue in grub, where it would take me straight to the command line. I'm not sure if that had to do with the way I unmounted the parftitions, or the fact that I created one of the partitions in a different fs (F32), or I forgot to create a grub conf.

    I was wondering if I could perhaps have some assistance as a linux noob, I've decided to jump into the deep end :P

    submitted by /u/MeleeMeistro
    [link] [comments]

    HELP GRUB RESCUE MODE

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:55 PM PST

    I originally tried to dual boot windows 10 and Manjaro GNOME. I decided to remove the GNOME by booting into windows 10 and removing the Manjaro Partition. I restarted the CPU and now it's in GRUB rescue mode. How can I get passed this screen and boot into windows 10?

    submitted by /u/reggie_millerr
    [link] [comments]

    Question (gaming): when dual-booting my windows machine with Linux, do I need to have two installs of Steam games?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:27 PM PST

    So my friend and I are starting to get into Linux, Majaro specifically. And was wondering, am I going to have to have two installs for my games? Now for Native Linux games, I know the answer is obviously yes but what about emulating games?

    Can I point Steam at my Windows game install folder and proton all of them?

    What about native Linux games being in said game install folder? Will Steam pick up that it's not a native Linux game install? And if so, will it allow me to ignore it and make another Linux install?

    Basically I don't want to have to double the amount of space games take up on my computer to simply be able to play them in Linux. I'm hoping that Linux provides a workaround for the horrible throttling my Dell G7 does whilst on battery, making games unplayable. Or at the very least, making it not run like my Dell from 2012.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/23Link89
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to install Fedora Live on Miix 320, getting warnings: dracut-initqueue[587]

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:32 PM PST

    I actually want to install Xubuntu 18.x. Failing with no info on why it fails. I used UUI to create the bootable USB drive. I start up pressing the power and volume up key. I select the USB drive as the boot image. I just get a blank screen with no info on what is happening.

    A friend told me to try using Fedora Live instead. I used UUI again to create a USB bootable with Fedora Live. I repeated the previous steps. Booting Fedora Live, I am presented with a command line-like message.

    Warning: dracut-initqueue[587]

    The system goes into emergency mode. A few directories do not exist.

    I have tried this with two different USB keys. 3.8 GB and 2 GB.

    Can anyone tell me what the message means?

    submitted by /u/Smedskjaer
    [link] [comments]

    Installing software for non-admin user

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:51 PM PST

    I'm setting up a multi-user environment in Linux for the first time, and it's showing me that I'm lacking an understanding of how su/sudo works or whether that's even what I should be using in this case. I've been searching online for information but it's only leaving me more confused about installing software as root vs as a user and so on.

    I'm the admin, but I'm trying to install Steam on my niece's standard account using the terminal, since the web and package manager installers have issues on Linux Mint 19.3. Whatever I try to do, it asks me for her sudo password. If I enter her password, it tells me she can't run the commands I'm entering. If I enter my password, it tells me to try again. While I can switch to myself using su, it seems to me that if I installed Steam in that state it would install for me and not her.

    In case it makes a difference, I have yet to set up a password for the root account on this installation of Linux Mint.

    Am I thinking about per-user installations completely wrong? Is there a simple terminal command or series of commands to do what I want? What basic concepts if any am I simply failing to grasp here?

    Edit: In case it wasn't clear, I'm aware that my niece doesn't have sudo privileges and my goal is not to add her to the sudoers list. It's to install Steam and have it appear in her list of installed programs, but not for any other user, specifically without giving her sudo privileges.

    submitted by /u/DJ_Gamedev
    [link] [comments]

    ElementaryOS vs. ZorinOS

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:51 PM PST

    I am between ElementaryOS and ZorinOS for a new OS (I have never been on Linux). I like both OSs because of their familiarity and look of MacOS. Based on the specs provided below what OS is best and can I change the windows to be square and not have the rounded corners. This is just a personal preference but I like the look. I would like the most secure and private OS. I do like the look of PureOS but can't figure out how give it a test run on distrotest.net because it won't load. If this is configurable then would you provide to show me how. Here are the specs:

    MacBook Pro, Late 2013

    2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

    Intel Iris 1536 MB

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/Buckler91
    [link] [comments]

    5700xt Ubuntu

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:27 PM PST

    I recently decided to make the switch. I used Ubuntu in the past but gaming was always an issue and is becoming less so.

    I tried installing Kubuntu on 19.10 and I can't get a boot. Seems the issue is the 5700xt isnt packaged in yet. I've tried some guides to no avail to get booted up.

    I was wondering if Ubuntu packages differently or if there will be a 5700xt support any time soon.

    submitted by /u/Smcgb1844
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing my SSD (where I have the Ubuntu installed)

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:34 AM PST

    I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 and I currently have a SSD where the OS is installed and an HDD where I got my /home directory. My current SSD got too small for my install (24gb) so I bought a larger one (120gb)

    How can I clone my install to the new SSD? Edit: It'll be an additional SSD, not a replacement I'm 99% sure my laptop doesn't have 2 ports for the SSDs, so can I do something like cloning Old SSD -> a new HDD partition -> New SSD? Or is it mandatory I get a cable just for this (which I'm trying to avoid for budgetary reasons)?

    Also, since my /home is in another drive, how do I 'link' my new install so it recognizes my /home as the home folder (not sure if this phrasing/question makes sense). Or does this happen automatically?

    submitted by /u/Blirpman
    [link] [comments]

    Can't get Bluetooth headphones to work

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:25 AM PST

    I am using Elementary OS on a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming. I have a pair of Skullcandy Bluetooth headphones, and when I turn them on they show up in the Bluetooth list thing. I click on "pair" and they pair. Then I click on "connect" and it simply returns "unable to connect." I have tried reinstalling Bluez, rebooting, turning them off and on again, nothing works. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/sudopinkstar
    [link] [comments]

    Distro closest to windows

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 11:33 AM PST

    Hi! I want to get into Linux and I'm looking for a distro that is the closest to windows 10 so it is easy for me not only in looks but also in compatibility. All I use is cs:go and sometimes Photoshop and Visual Studio. Are this programs compatible with Linux? Does the distro even make a change in terms of compatibility? Sorry for the ignorance and TIA

    Edit: nevermind about Photoshop I use photopea. I meant to say Sony Vegas Pro

    submitted by /u/CarlosDotMarques
    [link] [comments]

    Dual boot Windows 10 and Manjaro

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:46 AM PST

    I had two drives, one SSD and one HDD with Windows 10 installed. I use the SSD for the OS and the HDD for the programs and all the stuff. I wanna install Manjaro in a partition of the second disk. Can be any trouble cause windows it's installed in the other disk? Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Lucazz_82
    [link] [comments]

    Mounting /dev/sda2 at /mnt failed: No such file or directory

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:03 AM PST

    I managed to install Slackware64 -current and get my machine to recognize the bootloader. Now, however, I have a new problem: when I boot, it throws an error message and drops me into some kind of basic shell. This is the error:

    mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /mnt failed: No such file or directory ERROR: No /sbin/init found on rootdev (or not mounted). Trouble ahead. You can try to fix it. Type 'exit' when things are done.

    I tried running 'mount /dev/sda2' on my own, and it returned the error: [ 305.714003] /dev/sda2: Can't open blockdev mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /mnt failed: No such file or directory

    My fstab: /dev/sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0 /dev/sda2 / ext4 defaults 1 1 /dev/sda1 /boot/efi vfat defaults 1 0 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto.owner 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

    I am using eLILO as my bootloader, I planned on installing grub once I got it booted+connected to internet

    If it is the wrong argument to the kernel, can I fix that in eLILO?

    I'm fairly certain the init system is init rather than systemd, if that helps From what I can tell, it failed to mount /dev/sda2, my root partition. I have booted from the installer and run lsblk, and it is definitely there. Running ls from the shell it gave me also shows me that /mnt exists, but nothing is mounted on it. Does anyone know if they can help me?

    submitted by /u/spotracite
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get a larger resolution in Virtualbox without rebooting?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:45 AM PST

    I want to play around with Solus. The default 640x480 Virtualbox view is too small to fit the entire Solus installation window on the screen.

    How can I get a larger resolution to make my life easier?

    I tried changing the resolution within the OS. Not working.

    submitted by /u/rrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeee
    [link] [comments]

    Would not using sudo work as an extra layer of security?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:51 AM PST

    As title sugest, Im using Debian as my server OS and my server has several ports open to the internet. Root login is disabled and can only be accessed by first logging in via another user. So basically what Im wondering is that if I dont use sudo, an attacker would have to guess my password 2 times (main user and root have different passwords) before logging in and then getting root privileges as opposed to only one if he guessed a password for my user if it had sudo privileges.

    So basically I decides not to have sudo even installed. Would this make sense?

    submitted by /u/vimsee
    [link] [comments]

    Help with old Scanner in VM

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:10 AM PST

    Hello Guys!
    im trying to connect an old printer/scanner to my pc, is a Lexmark X2350 and im trying to use it as a scanner.

    Reading in google, there is no support for this in ubuntu (im using 18.04), and the option is to use it in a virtual machine, but it seems that while is not clearly detected in linux, will not be detected in the win VM.

    I installed the virtualbox extension to use USB2.0, but seems that doesnt detect it.

    In linux, sane-find-scanner gives me this message:

    found USB scanner (vendor=0x043d [Lexmark], product=0x00bb [ 2300 Series]) at libusb:002:010

    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/leongranizo
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Keeps Randomly Shutting Down

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:40 AM PST

    I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 on a lenovo flex 5, and today my computer started shutting down randomly. I can barely use the computer for 10 minutes before the screen goes black. I checked the syslog and the only relevant bit of information I could find was this:

    Feb 6 11:11:17 terraintrekker boltd[1312]: udev: found 0 domain

    Feb 6 11:11:17 terraintrekker boltd[1312]: manager: acquired power guard '1'

    Feb 6 11:11:17 terraintrekker boltd[1312]: udev: enumerating devices

    Feb 6 11:11:17 terraintrekker boltd[1312]: power: guard '1' for 'boltd' deactivated

    Feb 6 11:11:17 terraintrekker boltd[1312]: power: shutdown scheduled (T-20.00s)

    Can anyone explain why my computer keeps scheduling shutdowns and what I can do to stop this from happening? I don't understand what's going on here.

    submitted by /u/cuntinghorse
    [link] [comments]

    Error when trying to install an nvidia driver.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:07 AM PST

    How do I avoid having to use "sudo" all the time without logging in as root?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:17 AM PST

    I always hear root access is bad, whether if it's on linux machine or AWS IAM user. I read that chown on the /home directory can prevent me from having to type sudo all the time, but how will that work if much of my work happens on the /root level like inside /etc for example when configuring nginx servers? I could also chown the / root, but wouldn't that make me a root user in any way except name?

    I don't understand how I can satisfy the "least privilege" principle without having to write sudo, and then my password at any step.

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to access drive

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:27 AM PST

    So o basically tried to install Linux mint with the option that partitions off a bit of your drive so you can dual boot. I tried that and the partition had failed, so I restarted my computer tho see if anything happened, but now my windows drive won't boot.

    TLDR: failed partition, broke windows drive, is there any way I can get the files back without formatting?

    Here's a picture https://imgur.com/a/elZkI6m

    is there any way I can access it from Ubuntu? Edit: I now have this error https://imgur.com/a/JlJDWNj

    submitted by /u/xdhelicopter
    [link] [comments]

    "Invalid partition table!" - now my laptop won't boot properly

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:42 PM PST

    Background: I was re-installing Linux Mint 19.2 on my dual boot laptop. Thought I had installed it successfully and without a hitch, but when I rebooted the computer I got a message on a black screen that says "Invalid partition table!" Underneath it says:

    error: unknown filesystem.

    Entering rescue mode...

    grub rescue>

    The only way I'm able to get into the installation of Mint is by restarting and hitting f12 while booting, and then going through uefi boot (with the installation usb plugged in).

    Is there some way I can fix this? I am very confused. If possible, maybe I can put in a fresh installation of Mint?

    submitted by /u/kalebale7
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel