• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 14, 2020

    Linux Installing And Running Windows Games On Linux Tutorials

    Linux Installing And Running Windows Games On Linux Tutorials


    Installing And Running Windows Games On Linux Tutorials

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:50 AM PST

    Hi everyone, so I've been using Linux for approximately a year now exclusively for gaming, and with the exception of a couple of games, they all work really well.

    However I have found the vast majority of them still require some form of tweaking, usually this is nothing to do with Proton itself and thus is unlikely to be implemented as a fix, for example Fallout 3 still requires you to copy a patched Xlive.dll for the game to even launch.

    I know that ProtonDB exists, but the reports that people have been posting recently, I personally blame the new reporting form, are not as user friendly, especially to Linux newbies, as they used to be.

    So as a response, I have created an ongoing series on my YouTube channel in which I clearly explain how to install and run Windows games on Linux, including using Proton and Lutris for launching said games.

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYPsm9PTBrGvS6E6IAwjzWAeqy9ooj0XA

    The videos are only a couple of minutes long each, and are scripted and to the point, and at the end of the video, I give an honest review of the game's performance on Linux.

    In other words, I'm not going say that a game that runs like crap on Linux is a good outcome as that would be detrimental to the Linux gaming scene.

    My ultimate plan is to produce tutorials for all my games on Steam, Origin, Epic Games, Uplay, Blizzard, Bethesda libraries, alongside walkthroughs for my favourite games and general gaming on Linux content.

    My channel is www.youtube.com/IntelligentGaming2020 and please feel free to check it out, and offer constructive feedback.

    And if you like my content, please subscribe to support me.

    Ryan

    submitted by /u/Intelligent-Gaming
    [link] [comments]

    Guides to Linux?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 12:10 PM PST

    So I installed Linux Ubuntu on my c720-chromebook. I'm just confused as to how this works, I don't know how to install stuff, or to tell what version i'm using, etc... Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Serious-disease
    [link] [comments]

    What have been kepting you from fully migrating to linux?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:08 AM PST

    I had a lot of different types of upcomes which I had to deal, for example ms office adaptation to other softwares, gaming, photoshop to gimp and understanding linux was also difficult. Now I'm having a problem with onedrive. My account is universitary and I havnt figured out how to sync it yet.

    And you, what is your main difficulty right now?

    submitted by /u/daykriok
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a new cloud solution, pcloud is using up CPU all the time?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 11:31 AM PST

    Pcloud on Manjaro is using up 100% of 1 logical core ALL the time. I don't know how to troubleshoot this.

    https://preview.redd.it/w6kun3ymxxg41.png?width=1028&format=png&auto=webp&s=28618ccf519cc0a60319e5d57bbbceab0a562dc6

    Not much CPU, but fans are going crazy:

    submitted by /u/nangabacha
    [link] [comments]

    Ubuntu icon packs don't seem to work.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:48 PM PST

    I tried to install the icon pack I used from my previous installation but now it doesn't work. all the icons are the same except for a few broken ones, also the preinstalled ones dont work right either. pics https://imgur.com/a/Sp9QSwV

    submitted by /u/ThomasThaWankEngine
    [link] [comments]

    Want to migrate from windows 10

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:28 PM PST

    Which distro should I use for coding and game dev stuff. I am really confused can anyone recommend any good YouTube channel.

    submitted by /u/edgine
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone successfully installed Linux on an Android tablet? More below.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:58 PM PST

    I have an older Samsung Galaxy tablet running Android 4.2.2 Jellybean. It has 16GB of internal memory but has a microsd slot for exapandable memory and I have had 128 GB mounted.

    It's in mint condition but it's loaded with Samsung's typical bloatware and I'd like to put Linux on it. Has anyone done this and is it even possible?

    submitted by /u/04K7R33
    [link] [comments]

    Running Script Manually VS Using Cron - Different Results??

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:42 PM PST

    I'm having some issues automating a script on my server.

    For context, I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS headless.

    Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: I'm running a Minecraft server on my machine, and have found that it occasionally goes down. It's easy enough to start back up, but I currently have to wait for users to let me know it's down, or discover it for myself when I try to play. So I wrote a simple script that checks if the server is up, and if it is, the script terminates. Conversely, if the script doesn't find the server, it will then start it.

    The script permissions are 755 (-rwxr-xr-x), and it is owned by root:root.

    But here's the weird bit. If I run the script as root, it works flawlessly. But if I schedule the script using the root crontab, it errors out and reports in the logs that a file it needs doesn't exist:

    cron[1541]: sendmail: fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory 

    However, that file doesn't exist when I manually run the script as root, and the script works fine. So why would it suddenly care about it when cron tries to run it as root?

    To further add to the confusion, every other script that manages this server works without issue. I have about a dozen scheduled that do anything from backing the server up hourly, checking for new versions and installing them nightly, generating interactive maps that get published to a website, etc.

    I'm at a loss for what what I should try next. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get this to work?

    submitted by /u/general_rap
    [link] [comments]

    Ignore the dirty screen. Trying a bunch of things to make it so i dont have to boot from usb every time. I removed my mouse chip and this happened, probably not connected but idk.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:42 PM PST

    Unable to start Ubuntu 18.04 LTS after updating the software. How do i start Ubuntu?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 09:44 AM PST

    Removed Arch-linux partition and now stuck in grub rescue

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:25 PM PST

    hey i wanted to dualboot windows 10 together with arch-linux it worked good, but i realized it just wasn't for me. so i deleted the partition but now when i boot my laptop i get a partion not found now entering grub rescue mode.

    does someone know how i can just boot windows

    submitted by /u/CatSauce66
    [link] [comments]

    Is Manjaro suitable for total Linux noob?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 12:48 PM PST

    And is it stable?

    submitted by /u/shadowmaker1888
    [link] [comments]

    Recursive metacam

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 12:27 PM PST

    I need to extract the metadata, for a large folder of jpeg images, but I cannot find the syntax or documentation for metacam to do so.

    submitted by /u/dickyValentine
    [link] [comments]

    Lightdm XFCE4 glitch at boot

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:23 AM PST

    When i boot into lightdm and XFC4 it glitches for a bit (white glitches on black ) no actual rendering and then all i see is this : (https://secretpandadeanwinner.tumblr.com/post/190825073377)

    submitted by /u/Z3ntr0
    [link] [comments]

    unable to connect to x server: Connection refused

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:23 AM PST

    I installed Debian on my computer. No GUI booted up so I ran "startx" and got this error :

    Fatal Server Error: EE cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify budIDs for all framebuffer devices.

    xinit: giving up xinit: unable to connect to x server: Connection refused xinit: server error

    I have no idea what that means. I've tried some troubleshooting steps listed on Debian website and still got the same error.

    Anyone somehow knows how to fix this? Just so you know the installation always results in this so I didn't click anything wrong.

    submitted by /u/PGParzival
    [link] [comments]

    Keyboard mapping help

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 11:27 AM PST

    Hello, I work on a msi lap and some of my keys don't works anymore, I used SharpKeys on windows but I have no more tool under the hand now that I swapped to Linux? Have anyone any advice or had the same issue and resolved it?

    submitted by /u/Deyx1999
    [link] [comments]

    Centos 7 CLI

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 11:22 AM PST

    I will be taking a course soon mainly using the centos cli and I'm a bit rusty with my commands. Are there any decent YouTubers/guides that teach the basic commands (how to Navigate through filesystems, edit users, manipulate harddrive etc. )

    submitted by /u/theboogersalesman
    [link] [comments]

    How to make chrome remote desktop remote to the same desktop environment open on my computer

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:47 AM PST

    Confused about shebang

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:30 AM PST

    The instructions are :

    Modify the hello world script to do the following:

    Add a shebang for your preferred shell. Ask the user for a name, say "Hello, $NAME", submit the script.

    The original script was echo "Hello World!"

    Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/rainbowfish3
    [link] [comments]

    Tried to repurpose an old laptop, but need advice

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:21 AM PST

    My aunt was in need of a PC (for office work, email...) and I said I would give her my old laptop. Got rid of W7 and looked for a lightweight distro. Settled on Lubuntu, but the day I brought her the PC, I could not connect it to the internet and the error message gave no useful info. It seems it was because her box allows both WPA and WPA2, something like that? Not quite sure.

    Found a fix since then, but honestly, it was too much of a hassle for such a little thing. Turns out Lubuntu is not noob-friendly enough and I don't feel like it's going to work out. Did I pick the wrong distro for this case? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/NonSp3cificActionFig
    [link] [comments]

    (Mint 19.3) Touchpad tapping drag lock not enabled, though xinput says it is

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:58 AM PST

    I know how to change my xinput file -- xinput set-prop 14 288 1gives the desired output libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled (288): 1, but the it doesn't actually work. Drag lock is still not functional.

    This problem has persisted through multiple reinstalls as I try to get a new laptop up and running. Any pointers?

    ETA: A couple new pieces of information. 1) It's not only the Drag Lock feature; changing xinput values for any of the properties fails to change the touchpad's behavior. 2) Switching to a Synaptics driver doesn't solve the problem. 3) This issue also presents on a Ubuntu 18.04 live USB.

    The machine I'm using is a Dell Inspiron, pointing device AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint.

    submitted by /u/Amicus_Noctis
    [link] [comments]

    Why why why

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:43 AM PST

    Ahh hey experts i want to ask how do i delete all other desktop environment ..expect xfce. I download gnome lxde and now i want to delete it completely how do i do

    submitted by /u/otakuLUFFYthehokage
    [link] [comments]

    CGI in ksh/html : how to recover the query string ?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:39 AM PST

    On my first CGI, I've do this : ``` echo "<div id="AIX">"

    echo "<p> AIX Filesystem : </p>"

    echo "<form action="AIX_GNU.ksh" method="post">" echo "<select name="SERV">" echo "$SERV_AIX" | while read SERV_AIX; do echo " <option value="$SERV_AIX">$SERV_AIX</option>" done echo "</select>"

    echo "<select name="DATE_AIX">" echo "$DATE_AIX" | while read DATE_AIX; do echo " <option value="$DATE_AIX">$DATE_AIX</option>" done echo "</select>"

    echo "<input type="submit" value="Select">" echo "</form>"

    echo "</div>" ```

    On my other page ( AIX_GNU.ksh ), I'm able to recover the query string with : read a echo $a

    Now, I've a file with a list of fs : ``` /dev/hd1 /dev/hd2 /dev/hd3 /dev/hd4 /dev/hd5

    ```

    I've created a button for each FS :

    ``` FS=$(cat /xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/foo.txt | awk -F';' '{print $2}' | sort | uniq)

    echo "<form action="test.ksh" method="post">" echo "$FS" | while read FS; do echo "<input type="submit" value="$FS">" done echo "</select>" echo "</form>"

    ```

    But on the test.ksh, if I try to use read a and echo $a, I've no result...

    Can you show me how to do this ?

    submitted by /u/Ezzmazz
    [link] [comments]

    Problems updating windows 10 on dual boot with ubuntu

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:07 PM PST

    HI,

    I have windows 10 & ubuntu installed on my laptop, on the same ssd. Ever since I installed Ubuntu, Windows 10 cannot update itself. It starts to install the updates, restarts and then after selecting windows 10 from the grub bootloader the windows update installer tells me that it had to cancel the updates & restarts again. Is this possibly because the grub bootloader is interfering with the updates? Is this a common issue? Is it worth using windows bootloader instead? If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/quimilicious
    [link] [comments]

    [Arch/i3] Need help fixing this X issue

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:56 PM PST

    I installed i3, xorg, and their dependencies but when I run startx I get this screen.

    https://i.imgur.com/YClowTR.jpg

    I've generated a default i3 config file with i3-config-wizard in this more but none of the settings work even after a reboot. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/amare_sodomizer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel