• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, February 5, 2020

    Linux I have decided to start with Linux

    Linux I have decided to start with Linux


    I have decided to start with Linux

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:04 AM PST

    I have decided that I will install Linux on my other computer, which is a thinkpad t440. I Firstly need to decide which distribution should I get and secondly which is basic software I will need. I will use the computer mostly for learning programming and occasional office use. I am mostly thinking about Linux Mint and LibreOffice as an alternative to MS Office.

    Beside that I will need an antivirus, alternative to bs player, music player and alternative to utorrent.

    submitted by /u/Lady_Nienna
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Performance: Almost Always Add Swap - (Part 2: ZRAM)

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 10:24 AM PST

    What am I looking at with this sensors output? I'm so lost!

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:06 AM PST

    When I type Sensors into the terminal to check temps and voltage I get

    zenpower-pci-00c3 Adapter: PCI adapter SVI2_Core: +1.19 V SVI2_SoC: +0.89 V Tdie: +32.9°C (high = +95.0°C) Tctl: +32.9°C SVI2_P_Core: 8.64 W SVI2_P_SoC: 7.69 W SVI2_C_Core: +7.27 A SVI2_C_SoC: +8.66 A 

    What am I looking at? I downcored my CPU to 3(3+0) for now to experiment with some single core performance stuff.

    How would this output change if I had my CPU not downcored and thus at the regular 6(3+3) core count?

    submitted by /u/MuffinsofJoy
    [link] [comments]

    TLP completely killed laptop’s performance

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:24 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    After installing TLP on my laptop (dell latitude 7370, m5-6y57) I noticed that laptop became noticeably slower, loading times, browsing, etc. Did octane test and got ~5000, which is really low. Without TLP I keep getting ~21000 in octane.

    What could be the issue?

    I tried TLP to lower cpu temperatures, as they go up to 85c, when watching youtube.

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/martinrecik
    [link] [comments]

    Live USB & persistence?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:13 PM PST

    Hi All,

    I'm thinking about getting a new laptop for Ubuntu 18 or Manjaro Cinnamon. That laptop will come preloaded with W10.

    If I have a USB with the linux image on it, and I boot into the USB and use the live demo mode, and then install themes / packages / programs, will it work? The goal would be to test compatibility with the install & various packages on the new machine before doing a full overwrite / install of the existing W10 install.

    If that does work, will the installs & modification I do to the live usb image persist, such that I can logoff, power down, then reboot into the USB and see the changes I made still there?

    Thanks in advance,

    -X

    submitted by /u/x_l_c_m
    [link] [comments]

    Grub rescue isn't working or Linux has been deleted off my hard drive?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 06:01 AM PST

    I am using Linux mint and I just updated, after restarting grub rescue showed up with error unknown filesystem, I tried finding the drive with Linux on it and it gives the same error for each drive, I have a bootable USB with Windows on it but it won't let me use that either, any help?

    submitted by /u/Odin13245
    [link] [comments]

    Wired Unmanaged despite being able to use internet?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:01 AM PST

    Hi, I am VERY new to linux and have just installed 19.10 build of Ubuntu with Gnome GUI. I ran into some issues with software center not downloading applications and theyre currently stuck on "pending" and wont do anything. I've tested a few recommended applications on the main page and some of those appear to work just fine (below screenprint shows installation of OBS Studio working?). Strangely enough, my firefox works perfectly and appears to have an internet connection. It seems like the settings in linux thinks I dont have an active connection? My network is showing 'Wired Unmanaged' and clicking connect doesn't do anything. The Wired Settings under that only show a VPN and Network Proxy option?

    Did I incorrectly install Ubuntu by selecting both dhcp4 and dhcp6? I really didnt know what I was doing here when setting up Ubuntu for the first time. Both of these are showing true when I look at the /ect/netplan/*yaml

    There has to be an easy way to get the network settings straightened out right? I'm sort of at a loss here and googling things are only making me more confused. Below are some of the screen prints Im seeing. Any help is greatly appreciated!

    clicking here and trying to hit \"connect\" does nothing

    The settings seem to think I am not connected to the internet?

    https://preview.redd.it/8rr9szwxy4f41.png?width=1024&format=png&auto=webp&s=6123afb5ca0d32b6612e60c2fcb8ab69d4a9a6d2

    https://preview.redd.it/8zsnh2myy4f41.png?width=1024&format=png&auto=webp&s=978c7f593b4d7bd38a479d3b0f389e0923caadb1

    edit: something has to be configured wrong on my network settings? I dont see anything for a netplan config file, shows up completely blank. I have no clue lol

    submitted by /u/bryanf445
    [link] [comments]

    What does setting nouveau.modeset=0 in the kernel parameter actually does?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 11:11 AM PST

    I have an Acer Helios 300 with Intel and Nvidia1050Ti gpu. I had no issues in Ubuntu installing drivers and using Prime to turn off one gpu(Intel or Nvidia).
    I tried to install Nvidia drivers on Fedora and it is a mess. Have tried the tutorial many suggested and failed. Now I have a fresh install of Fedora with No Nvidia drivers installed and wish I could turn off Nvidia GPU completely to save power. Does setting Nouveau.modeset=0 turn off Nvidia gpu completely?
    (I actually need to set nouveau.modeset=0 to avoid the black screen issue on boot).

    submitted by /u/saintandthesinner
    [link] [comments]

    Are they any good?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 01:26 AM PST

    hi. i'm neither a newbie nor a veteran, but I always avoid using package files. AUR is the main reason i use Manjaro. but i'm curious. are the "universal packages" appimages flatpacks and snaps any good?
    i mean, using deb and rpm packages was annoying. it was basically installing windows-style with extra steps. no auto updates. dependency problems etc.

    these universal package systems look more linux-like by the installation proccess. but should i use them? if yes, which to prefer and why?

    submitted by /u/sahind35
    [link] [comments]

    Limit PSAD daily emails?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 02:02 PM PST

    I setup PSAD on a blog site, I now get 100s of emails an hour. (It's setup not to come to my inbox)

    1. How can I limit PSAD to merge emails or give a summary let's say; once an hour?

    2. Do I really need PSAD? the server is running WordPress and UFW is configured default to deny and allow 80 443 and limit 22 (don't worry I'm using ssh keys and disabled root login)

    3. Can I setup PSAD to log only and have fail2ban block them?

    submitted by /u/RawSlugs
    [link] [comments]

    Control recognized as Shift during Arch installation and after the process as well.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 01:03 PM PST

    Good day or night fellows,

    I was writing Java on my secondary PC, using Arch Linux. Therefore, I wanted to install it on my main machine, alone, on a separate disk. That's where the problem has occurred - I did a ping before installation, and then wanted to terminate it using Ctrl+C and it didn't work.

    I was trying to hit other keys as well, and I saw that Shift and Control are literally one and the same - both simply make letters uppercase.

    After this failure I rebooted(to stop ping) and went on with installation to check if the problem will still occur. It did, even in the Desktop Environment. Also, I don't think there's a possibility that the keyboard is at fault - it works perfectly on Windows.

    Then I got Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian, and also checked if the problem will persist. It did, in every single distribution. I have no idea what is happening whatsoever - I'm utterly helpless.

    Hardware:

    • CPU - Intel® Core™ i5-8500 CPU;
    • GPU - GeForce 1060 6 GB;
    • RAM - 16 GB (2x8 GB dual channel);
    • Motherboard - Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48).

    Systems, I tried to install:

    • Arch Linux Release: 2020.02.01
    • Fedora 31 Workstation
    • Debian 10.2
    • Ubuntu 19.10

    I would be much obliged for every bit of help. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/HanSchneideR
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi not connecting; network troubles

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:55 PM PST

    Hello Linux Community,

    My Problem: can't connect to any wifi networks. (Ubuntu 18.04.3)

    Here is some context: I downloaded Linux Ubuntu a few weeks ago and it ran fine. After some issues with connecting to wifi I managed to figure it out (i ran some commands that messed up my network-manager). Then all of a sudden a few weeks later I lost my ability to connect to wifi networks. My laptop does not have an ethernet port so I can't try that. The weird thing is I can see the networks but it just says "connecting". It never actually connects. When I first had network problems I could not even see wifi as an option. This time I do.

    I am not sure if it is a compatibility issue or if I did something wrong

    I want to put my specs but I can't even open system monitor either, maybe I should try a fresh install.

    Any info helps, Thanks!

    submitted by /u/johnha4
    [link] [comments]

    Terminal login screen on every boot without GUI

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:55 PM PST

    I did a normal install of the latest Debian 10.2. No errors encountered or reported by the installer. When I bootup my computer I get only the login screen. How do I fix it so I get the GUI? Thanks to anyone for help I have no idea how to fix this! :(

    submitted by /u/PGParzival
    [link] [comments]

    Graphical Glitches When System Wakes from Sleep Mode

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:32 PM PST

    I built a new PC and run Fedora on it. Works pretty well but when I put my computer to sleep and then wake it up both of my monitors will glitch out like crazy (really fast flickering all over both screens, very epileptic). Sometimes an extra cursor icon will appear on the screen and stay in one place as well.

    I tried to capture a screenshot but it doesn't appear in screenshots. The only way I've been able to resolve this is by restarting my system. This happens every time I wake it up.

    I'm running Fedora 31 with Kernel 5.4. My GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 5700XT.

    submitted by /u/Sy-EMLNpumvWq9UScC_
    [link] [comments]

    Cant click on anything in the Browser no matter what browser

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:28 PM PST

    Aloha, (im kinda lucky im even able to navigate here and type this now)

    All of a sudden my Ubuntu is not working with any browser , nothing becomes clickable or it is temporray unclickable.

    1. i updated and upgrade
    2. i upgraded my kernal to 5.5.2
    3. i restarted is 10 times with in the last 2 hours.
    4. i install gnome tweak tools and messed around with it a bit...

    im all out of ideas on how to stop this re occurring erros , sometimes i cant even click desktop icons.... this behavior is not normal and it slows do my production...

    sorry for the typos i cant even fix those....

    any helpful advice ?

    mahalo

    submitted by /u/Crypto_Rootz
    [link] [comments]

    Manjaro XFCE - Weird panel gap

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:24 PM PST

    Raspberry Pi/Raspbian

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:51 AM PST

    I just wanted to get people thoughts on Raspbian?

    Would you recommend it, and what are the pros and cons?

    I've been using my pi for about 3 months now, I'm just SSH'ing into it..so always using CLI and I feel like my Linux knowledge has come on leaps and bounds.

    submitted by /u/framesandpackets
    [link] [comments]

    Installing games on linux

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:14 AM PST

    How to install windows games on linux? I have the setup.exe file for yakuza kiwami game, when I open the file it shows error, any software to install .exe setup files for games?

    submitted by /u/Dusa_Praharsh
    [link] [comments]

    Dual Boot Help (Win10 and CentOS8)

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:05 AM PST

    Please help me guys. I'm losing my mind trying to dual boot my machine.

    Here is the specs of my machine:

    • acer 4755g
    • SSD for windows 10 and HDD for CentOS 8 (partition, not whole disk is used)

    Problem:

    • CentOS grub cannot detect windows 10 bootloader.

    Here are the steps that I have done to correct it:

    • Installed ntfs-3g and ran sudo grub2-mkconfig > /dev/null. It still does not see the windows boot loader. In fact, sudo grub2-mkconfig > /dev/null returns nothing.

    • Also tried to manually add chainloder on grub, still nothing.

    Possible reason for the problem

    • Windows 10 is installed using BIOS and CentOS is using UEFI

    I'm just confused on how CentOS managed to install UEFI on my machine. I'm pretty sure that my machine only supports BIOS. Note: To make the bootable USB, I used rufus with the MBR option.

    FINAL NOTE:

    I think if I convert the bootloader of CentOS from UEFI to BIOS, this problem will be solved. But can it be converted and How?

    submitted by /u/diode121
    [link] [comments]

    Can't mount a drive (for quite some time)

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 10:36 AM PST

    Hi,

    I'm trying to mount a drive /dev/sda onto a directory on /dev/sdb (on which the operation system is installed). So I run the command sudo mount /dev/sda1 /path/to/directory but get the following error in responce mount: /path/to/directory: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist. I've been researching and trying different things for some time now, but was unsuccessful.

    This is incredibly frustrating, any help would be appreciated...

    (btw I'm using alpine)

    submitted by /u/lyadavy
    [link] [comments]

    Getting apt Certificate Error

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:35 AM PST

    https://preview.redd.it/w0wssbwen3f41.png?width=1324&format=png&auto=webp&s=0d1b7a96a7eaf9491540647a8ab9811be8ea92cf

    i have tried doing....[https://github.com/oerdnj/deb.sury.org/issues/1082]

    sudo apt-get clean

    sudo apt-get -f install

    sudo dpkg --purge --force-depends ca-certificates

    but not working...

    submitted by /u/mr_w01f
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with networks and file sharing

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 10:23 AM PST

    Total Linux noob here. I've installed lubuntu on a celeron n3450 mini pc. I want to set it up as a torrent box and Plex server. I enabled remote in transmission, then installed a remote app on my android phone. Couldn't get it to connect. Could it be something to do with port forwarding? Is there a detailed guide I can follow? I also tried sharing a folder. Tried accessing it using solid explorer on my phone. I can see the folder but cannot access it. Then I thought of setting up vnc server, but figured i had enough problems on my plate already.

    Any help is most appreciated!

    submitted by /u/zhopudey1
    [link] [comments]

    Touchpad scrolling in Chrome is terrible

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:55 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    Just wondering if there's a solution for jittery scrolling in Chrome/Chromium when using a touchpad?

    Scrolling is buttery smooth when using touchscreen, keyboard or external mouse. But it's terrible when using touchpad.

    I'm using linux mint cinnamon.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/martinrecik
    [link] [comments]

    Running a command(trying to execute an executable) with sudo gives command not found even after adding the executable to PATH

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:34 AM PST

    There is an executable that I want to run. On initial attempt, I got a command not found.So, I added the executable to the .bashrc file. Following this, when I tried to execute it, I got: 500 OOPS: vsftpd: must be started as root.

    However, running it with sudo gives me command not found error again? What is the cause of this? Can I infer that changes made to the ~/.bashrc file only apply when executing things/running commands as a regular user and NOT as the root user? If so, what can I do to execute this executabe?

    submitted by /u/ThiccShadyy
    [link] [comments]

    Turning an old PC netbook into a Linux computer

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 05:36 AM PST

    I am having an old Netbook, Asus Eee PC 1000HE, specifications can be seen here: https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-eee-pc-1000he/specs/ and want to turn that one into a Linux computer, but being no expert (although with some experience in Raspbian) I have no idea how to proceed. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I'll have a lot of fun with a Linux Netbook and this Windows crab is of no use to me at all (and extremely slow anyway).

    submitted by /u/Dexedrin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel