• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 14, 2020

    IT Career Just received my CCNA, having a hard time finding entry level work.

    IT Career Just received my CCNA, having a hard time finding entry level work.


    Just received my CCNA, having a hard time finding entry level work.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 06:19 AM PST

    I'm unemployed but recently got hired on the weekends at a computer store. I have my CCENT and CCNA, currently pursuing Python, Linux, Network+, and A+.

    I'm having the hardest time finding entry level work because of my lack of experience in my city. All job opportunities (even so called entry level) want you to have a certain level of experience. I just have experience with my own projects but nothing to put in paper I think.

    I've tried Indeed and LinkedIn recruiters, the recruiters tell me to get my Network+. I've desperately looked on Craigslist, but nothing. Am I missing something? Is there some website I'm missing? Any help is appreciated.

    Quick Edit:

    I'm just looking for something to help me gain experience until the company I actually want to work for has a job position open, the recruiters there have guaranteed my position as soon as the company gets more space but I don't know how long that'll take. At least 8mos to a year. I just wanted to take some stress off my partner from being a single income household.

    To those who are concerned about what I'm pursuing after my CCNA, I sincerely enjoy learning and have time set aside each day to pursue my goals. That wouldn't be any different than you pursuing something for your own personal growth or even recreation time. Please be civil.

    To those who believe I'm not sending enough applications, I am really choosy about the companies I will potentially work for. I don't have just myself to consider because I do have dependents. I structured the 20+ applications to the companies I wanted to work for including a cover letter. I did my research and made sure I aligned with their culture.

    Be nice, it's free.

    submitted by /u/gimme_the_jabonzote
    [link] [comments]

    Entry level applicant - Completed phone interview for Desktop Support position. Now what?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:33 AM PST

    After sending out an insane amount of applications, I heard back from one recruiter for a contracted Desktop Support position at a local school district.

    We emailed back and forth, completed a phone interview, and then at his request, I sent him my resume and detailed information on qualifications for the position. He replied "Thank you, sir, looks great!" about a week ago.

    I haven't heard from him since. He did mention that this contract ends in July, but did not mention how long it was for.

    Should I follow up? Is this just typical?

    submitted by /u/N30G3N
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an unofficial standard as far as raises go when you get a new certification?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:20 PM PST

    I just started a job at a local IT place and they hired me at $10/hr and told me that when I get my A+ they will give me a $1 raise and another $1 when I get my Network+. I made the mistake of thinking that this meant that I'd get $1 raise for every cert. that I get, (Security+ and ITIL4 after Net+) however I didn't ask that specifically.

    Logically I would expect a cap for this at some point. If I amass 25 certs (I'm exaggerating for effect) I don't expect $35/hr. Not this early in my career anyways.

    So is there a typical raise amount that is considered acceptable when you get a new cert?

    submitted by /u/wondering-soul
    [link] [comments]

    Certification Pathways

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 03:45 AM PST

    Someone posted a really comprehensive list of the certification pathways - could someone link it for me? Cheers!

    submitted by /u/zopiclone
    [link] [comments]

    Is a Citrix cert worth it?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 05:18 AM PST

    I am trying to get a cert to help my career and land better jobs. Right now I work with Citrix and cloud Azure and mainly AWS. I am a bit familiar with Citrix and learning AWS and Azure now. But I just year a Citrix cert is only good if you want to go to MSP which I don't. Is studying for a citrix cert worth it if I want to work for an Enterprise in house or just stick to learning AWS

    submitted by /u/MotorAffect
    [link] [comments]

    Asking interviewer about other candidates?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 03:52 AM PST

    As in topic - is it considered rude to ask interviewer how many candidates they have for currently applying job position?

    submitted by /u/yuugoy
    [link] [comments]

    Switching to a different company causing harm to my Software Development Career.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:10 AM PST

    It has been 1 month since I left my previous company and switched to a new company. The work environment in my new company is pathetic and they treat their employees like labours. My whole routine has been messed up since I join this company. My previous company had lot of flexibilities like Mon-Fri work, lots of paid leaves, enough of free time but I was not growing their as a Software Developer so thats why I decided to switch to another company and sacrificed these flexibilities. Since one month I am feeling exhausted here and the boss of my new company is putting a lot of pressure on me and has a huge expectation from me, but deep inside I know that still my skills are not upto that mark to cope up with their expected speed of work. I am having huge imposter syndrome and feeling completely lost. I am not getting enough time at home to be with my family as 10-12 hours I remain in office due to work load. I want to improve my skills in React Native and flutter but under this environment I don't think I will get enough time. I am also having a fear of losing my job as there is no job security at all in my new company. I am having more than 1.5 years of experience but I never felt this in low in my career. I am confused, should I look for another job or should I wait for 1-2 months more on my company to see what happens next. Has anyone faced this type of situation??

    submitted by /u/The-Innocent-Guy
    [link] [comments]

    ISSE - 2 year after Questions

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:29 AM PST

    I'm currently an IT2 in the Navy, but I've been interning for a contracting company for my last 6 months of my contract.

    I have some college done before I came in the Navy and a few certifications like CCNA R&S, Sec+, MTA Network, MTA Security. My experience on the ship was Comms/Sys & Network Admin.

    I get out at the end of March, and the Director is offering me a ISSE position for $65k in Philly.

    I plan on going to WGU for the BSNOS. I plan on completing it in 2 years. I also am going to try to get my CISSP within 2-3 years.

    After 2 years of experience as an ISSE, how much could I ask for in a pay raise? What other jobs could I go too with everything states above? I just bought a house with my fiance (an ER Nurse), and need all the money I can get.

    Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/oona12345
    [link] [comments]

    MSP in Bay Area

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:01 AM PST

    I'm currently working for a small MSP in Bay Area. Most of the time I'm dealing with level 1 stuff, but there are also a little bit of level 2 stuff involved. I just want to know if $27/hr a reasonable pay rate for a level 1 position(with poor benefit). I have been with this company for a couple months.

    Any input will be appreciated.

    Background: I have a degree in CS from a well known college but I didn't enjoy coding that much so I chose IT as my career path. I also had two year part time IT experiences before this position. Mostly were level 1 stuff as well.

    submitted by /u/Namehasbeentaken789
    [link] [comments]

    What's next?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:01 AM PST

    Jr. SysAdmin here. My end goal is Cloud Security, mainly AWS. I graduate with my AAS in Cyber Sec and return for my bachelors the following semester. Currently, I don't do much with the cloud, at work at least. Mainly sit around and do schoolwork and ship shit. Got bait and switched in this position, as they stated I would be the SysAdmin of this location. They lied. Whatever.

    I just got my SEC+, yay, but am now looking for my next step, besides graduating. Besides my schooling, what else can I do to get into the Cloud? I am thinking about preparing for AWS CSA, as work will put me through a course and pay for my test, which is a big perk. What tools should I be working on mastering?

    submitted by /u/DyslexicDad
    [link] [comments]

    Is College My Best Route?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:30 AM PST

    Right now, im 21, currently working as a Tier1/2 Desktop Technician with Sys Admin responsibilities for 14/hr at a small MSP. Im considering attending UTSA for a bachelors in Cybersecurity.

    I've scoured through this sub and it seems the general consensus is that a degree is almost always best to get early on in careers and management positions are near impossible without a degree. I've already got CompTIA A+ and Security+. I've also got about 2.5 years of experience as a Field or Desktop technician since I very much dislike help desk call centers.

    Is it a worthwhile move to put my career on hold to go back and get a cybersecurity degree or will I be stuck in the same rut as I am now. I feel as though anytime I attempt to change positions at a different company, that I am going down one tier. I am trying to escape the Helpdesk and get more into the managerial side.

    Thank you for reading.

    submitted by /u/RecklessTc
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling to retain my knowledge and dont know what to do.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:46 PM PST

    I've started a Networking Concepts course at my community college since the beginning of the year, and since then, the amount of material that is being taught is barely staying in my head. There is so much information that I cant afford to fit absolutely everything my professor hands to me. We are using a simulated lab environment that also works as another teaching environment too called LabSim. Right now I'm taking a Computer Information Systems and Intro to Object Oriented Programming Java level 1 currently as well. I feel as if I'm not going to come out of this term with anything that'll stick with balancing all three of these online courses. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Clockwork323
    [link] [comments]

    Fresh CCNA, Need some career help, not sure what's the correct next move...NOC or Wait?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:27 AM PST

    I'm normally the one that is encouraging others to make moves, move up, and get into a better job position. For whatever reason, I can't seem to apply calculated decision making for my own path, maybe someone here can throw in their opinion and guide me correctly. Thank you in advance, this is a long read.

    I've been working a "Help Desk" Tech Support job an ISP for over 4 years. At this point I have about on and off 10+ years of IT experience. About 2 years into the help desk position, I got promoted to a "Tier 2" position. This is not an "unplug your and plug back in" only job, I use command line in routers and switches on almost a daily basis. I have access to distribution and access layer network switches that serve over 200k+ end users. I configure things from scratch, which include subnetting, VLANs, VOIP, IPTV, etc. I troubleshoot on a Network Engineering level, very knowledgable and methodical. I work with a variety of different special circuits, T1, EFM, ACTIVE-E, METRO-E. Our NOC was dissolved and we took over their tasks around the same time I was promoted. So I also monitor all kinds of alarms, use SolarWinds and Cisco StealthWatch, take action during incoming DDoS attacks, communicate with other carriers, 911. The list goes on and on. I consider myself a top performer for what I do for the company. I have tested, created, and shared documents or procedures that makes the job for other "Help Desk" technicians easier to do. I am the go to person on a daily basis from several of my colleagues.

    I have also proven myself to go above and beyond, exceeding my job expectations. "Tier 3" you say? That will never happen. There is not a company "need" for it now is what I've been told. Do you know why? Because it's guys like me that is doing the Tier 3 job for the expense for the original Tier 2 job title sale. My skill set has exceeded basically that entire group. I've had to work on tickets after them. Yes, the ticket didn't go up, they went down.

    Here is the real slap in the face, since my promotion 2 years ago, I've only received a 1 time $0.50 raise and that was beginning of last year. I was told that for whatever reasons, raises were either on hold on not going to happen this year. That pissed me off more than anything. Yes, I have a good relationship with my supervisor and I've expressed my concerns multiple times that pay/raises was becoming an issue. He said he's tried multiple times to inquire about bumps for several of us but with no results. I'm sure that management knows my true value and what I bring to the table but at the end of the day they probably just guess it's just a help desk job and employees come and go. I have a good relationship with several departments up, but there are just no IT jobs openings that I can take advantage of.

    I became very motivated to get the heck out of there. Started studying for the CCNA in November, I had my CCENT in early December and CCNA in early February. I hate to sit down and read like anyone else but the fuel was there to keep me going and I was able to push through. I get my CCNA, go to work and get a few "Congratulations" or "I'm proud of you" by coworkers and management. Even though I'm sure those congratulations were sincere, at the end of the day I still have kids to feed.

    Here's the dilemma. As you can tell by now, this isn't any ordinary "Help Desk" job but it sure does have the Help Desk title even if it is a Tier 2. I shined up my resume, added CCNA on their and described my job title with I can with as much NOC related descriptions as possible but not to leave out that I still work with end users. Fixed up a couple of things on my LinkedIn and recruiters were hitting me up. Over the past 2 weeks, I've worked with about 5. I've expressed to them all that I am looking for Network Engineering or Network Admin positions. Most jobs that were relayed were short term contract jobs with less pay that I do and obviously no benefits. I've also been applying independently directly through companies, no traction. I finally caught some traction with a job through a recruiter. The job is a full time NOC job with the title of "NOC Engineer" and not some bs help desk title so far that is an improvement. I have an interview setup and based off the recruiter's approximation, this job will be maybe about $5k-$10k bump from what I'm doing now. I don't even know how the benefits will match up yet. I understand people need to sometimes move to a NOC before getting to know someone or gain enough experience to move up to a Network Admin or Network Engineering job, but I've been doing NOC stuff for over 2 years! Not to mention my job is hands on configuring. I feel like I'm ready for a Network Engineering job or at least a Junior Network Engineering job. I understand that taking that NOC position (assuming we come to an agreement) and staying there for a year or so and then moving up is an option, but I'm just tired of wasting time running on a treadmill.

    I really do have a passion for this stuff and finding what's broken and fixing it is a mental high for me. So what do you guys think would be the correct course of action? Take the "NOC" job or wait patiently as more fitting Network Engineering/Admin jobs come up and my resume becomes more out there. Acquiring the CCNA has not been long ago, and as much as I want to leave my current position, I also don't want to feel like I'm jumping on the first thing that bites. Side note, I've already acquired the ENCOR CCNP book so I'm already working on the next cert.

    Thank you if you've made it this far. I'd love to hear what you guys think. Let me know if you guys have any questions. Also, this will probably get edited several times for typos (it's 4am).

    submitted by /u/BigMikeC6
    [link] [comments]

    From Pharmaceutical Equipment Validation to IT. Is it the right move?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:32 PM PST

    I've spent the past 5 years as a Validation Engineer (computer systems / manufacturing equipment) at a sterile injectable manufacturing facility. It has been a great gig for landing the job straight out of college and earning a degree in Biochemistry. Part of the reason I landed the job without having a degree in engineering was my demonstrated technical knowledge, technical writing, and having some engineering course credit. Long story short, the job has become monotonous and unfulfilling and I've taken an interest in IT. I've started to take some online learning courses focused on the CompTIA A+ cert and plan to eventually work my way to the CISSP cert. Obviously getting some experience will be extremely important to my success but I can't leave my 70k/yr job for a help desk job. Is this career move even possible? How can I get experience without sacrificing my current 8-5?

    submitted by /u/PthaloGrizzly
    [link] [comments]

    How can you get into IT when you are around 50 years old, no experience? Is it possible, which specialty is easiest to get?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:14 AM PST

    Hi guys! Question is not for me but my dad, in fact.

    Me myself got into the field while not having a IT degree (civil engineering), I learned by myself and now I work in data field, ETL, data engineering and all of that, I'm in mid twenties. I saw that it is indeed possible to start working in the field if you learn and try good enough (I'm in Russia btw), but when I think of doing the same when you are twice as old as me, I wonder how much harder would that be.

    My dad was a successful entrepreneur, but when we moved to a new city (not digging into details) he left that business behind. Quite a number of years passed, but it's hard for him to get into the same field here, so he started a new business in new field, and thats quite hard to make it profitable. But he doesn't want to get some low-level nonskilled job to earn money, like going to retail or smth like that.

    I know about demand of IT people, and when we talk about my job and close stuff, sometimes he wonders, maybe he can also learn by himself and get a new job in IT? I really want him to be happy, so maybe you guys have some info or experience with that - which skill can be learned for someone to get, like, any position in IT, not specifically in development, maybe some admin, testing, excel stuff, something like that. Which skill set isn't very demanding on deep tech stuff which will help to break in the field when you are not young and don't have big career plans in international companies? I don't know that tbh, because I always was more into data field, I know that maybe it isn't the best fit for that.

    I'll appreciate any responses and have a great productive day!

    submitted by /u/ponkipo
    [link] [comments]

    Help with understanding Subnetting.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 09:33 PM PST

    Anyone know of any tips for helping the concept sink in a bit easier? Im trying to juggle learning Linux, Azure, Windows server and subnetting and I am for what ever reason not grasping the concept of borrowing host bits as well as i probably should. Sometimes it just takes a different explanation for things to click for me. Even a link to a site or video that may helped you would be great!

    submitted by /u/good_thankss
    [link] [comments]

    I apologise if this doesn't belong here. But are there any jobs/careers in IT that are medical or that "help people" in some capacity?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:42 PM PST

    I know there's like people who probably work in the IT department for hospitals and stuff like that. But I'm talking as in a career or specific field of IT.

    submitted by /u/SuspiciouslyLinear
    [link] [comments]

    I'm IT graduate with [CISCO] Networking MINOR. Fresher job hunt

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:40 PM PST

    Is doing help desk job related in my minor contributes later on? My plan is to do Networking engineer, and I don't know where to start.

    Any tips?

    submitted by /u/jhill345
    [link] [comments]

    Lost College Student looking for advice/tips for the future

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 03:31 PM PST

    Hello All,

    Let me start by thanking anyone who takes the time to read this.

    I am currently a senior at a US university studying International Business & Latin American Studies. I took the current semester off for some space and mental stability. I'm lucky enough to be able to live with my parents for the time rent-free. Seeing as I have so much free time I recently saw some ads Google IT Support Professional Cert. & Coding Dojo. Seeing as the IT industry is growing insanely quickly and with not enough graduates to fill these spots. I know these courses can be done online and could be a huge resume bump in a very appealing industry with sought after wages is what drew me to this page. I did some coding back in middle school. But if I'm honest I literally have no knowledge of this field. I've been told by some advisors to take classes at my university but after talking to some classmates in the CS department. They told me seeing as I'm not looking to major or anything. I should take certification courses than rather take actual classes at my school since they're kinda pricey and don't fit into my schedule. From what I read alot of these courses can be done at your own pace. Like I said I have no knowledge of this area but I am a quick learner. So ideally take the best courses that are worth it. These would mainly be resume buffs and maybe even career openers. Also seeing as most IT firms are international. It would be great to tie my studies with this as well.

    Also a sidenote whats a A+ certification? I hear it all the time is it something I can do or worth it?

    Getting back to point is seeing as this sub is dedicated to this. I would love to hear from anyone any advice or tips about some good certification programs or camps they can recommend or vouch for. Or even just general help would be awesome.

    Thank you to anyone for reading this and helping out a confused student. :-))))))

    submitted by /u/andres3v
    [link] [comments]

    DevOps career titles

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:53 PM PST

    I been in the field long enough to know that devops isnt a job title or a role. However, I want to get into an entry level position that does the responsibilities of devops. I just dont know what the label is or title would be when looking for a job like this. I am really interested in infrastructure as code. Automating everything. Also, having workflow environment like scrum or agile. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/voicu90
    [link] [comments]

    What does "Must meet DoD 8570 certification eligibility requirements." mean?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:04 PM PST

    Quick background. I just completed my CCENT (YAY! I've felt so stressed over this it feels amazing to have passed) Now I am working on the CCNA and Sec+. does eligibility requirements mean I need to have the Sec+ or equivalent cert already or that I am able to get it? Almost any job in my area (including help desk) has this requirement. Its a heavy DoD contractor area so i get it but Im not sure if I am held back until I get the Sec+. Any help would be great!

    submitted by /u/DontTouchTheWalrus
    [link] [comments]

    Interview with reqruiter

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:32 PM PST

    The few past days I got a few messages from recruiters. One of those offers seemed - career wise - really promising.

    To be honest, I am extremely happy with the company I am currently at. The pay is great, the benefits we have are also great. The work life balance is very good!

    On the other hand, the department I'm in is kind of boring. No real challenges, nor exciting work. I can always move to another department I guess, but I haven't tried it yet.

    The only reason I agreed to talk to the recruiter is to see what they have to offer and to ask for more money than I'm currently earning. Their company is not a very big one (such as the current one I work for) and they don't have as many benefits.

    The only reason I agreed to an interview is because I always throw myself in the deep. I hate all these books I read about self-development, leadership, comfort zones and shit. I am where I am now cause I kept throwing myself in the deep, and even though I managed to swim to the shore, the stress I had meanwhile made it not worthy. Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful that my past self went through that shit, but I can't remember the last time I wasn't stressed about something. Maybe that's how life is?

    Anyway, I hope they deny my desired salary so I don't stress about it anymore.

    submitted by /u/stendhal_project
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys have any tips or advice for questions to ask recruiters or hiring managers?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 11:10 AM PST

    I just graduated college and have had a few phone interviews but I always struggle to think of questions to ask them when they ask if I have any. Are there any particularly good questions to ask?

    submitted by /u/Tommy-_-
    [link] [comments]

    FTE to Contract Work

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 06:27 PM PST

    So, I took a senior level job like 4-5 months ago and its been a nightmare. Abhorrently unprofessional management, among many many other things like weird veiled threats of being fired from my boss, and him acknowledging he knows im not happy, hoping I stick around, yadda yadda. Its toxic. Ive been searching for a job for about 2 months now and have had several interviews. One in particular was back in the security field at a health care org but on contract for 6 months, potentially leading to FTE. We went back and fourth with the recruiting agency and they finally met me at what I currently make, and as of today I accepted, knowing that ill get no pto or benefits during this time, but im taking a leap, hoping it turns into something more.

    Has anyone successfully gone from contract to FTE? I wont be destitute in 6 months if it doesnt pan out, but i'd love to hear others stories! Im just happy to be leaving this toxic scam of a job that I thought would be a great step up.

    submitted by /u/exogreek
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel