• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, February 9, 2020

    IT Career As a former CCNA holder, how likely is it to cram/pass before the looming CCNA update?

    IT Career As a former CCNA holder, how likely is it to cram/pass before the looming CCNA update?


    As a former CCNA holder, how likely is it to cram/pass before the looming CCNA update?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 08:00 AM PST

    I passed my CCNA in spring 2010. Can't say I've ever used much on the job (always end up in generalist roles), but I've retested to keep the CCENT once or twice over the decade just for resume fodder.

    Has the current, outgoing ICND2 CCNA exam changed significantly in the past decade? I'm confident I could pass the CCENT within 2 weeks, but I'm debating whether or not it's feasible to shoot for ICND2. I'm not working atm so I'd have no problem doing 8hr+ study every day.

    submitted by /u/carno12
    [link] [comments]

    How to move up?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:27 AM PST

    A bit of background:

    I've been lucky with the beginning of my IT career. I walked into a cushy tier 2 helpdesk position right out of college. I help support about 15-20K end users (90% on-campus). I have standard Apple and HP repair certs and also have an additional Secuity+ cert giving me a foundation in networking, servers, and security. The tier 3 team knows that I have my eye on a higher position so less than a year into my professional career, I was handed a messy situation where we took over a previously self-managed set of servers and about 80 devices from very non-knowledgeable staff. I think their thought was that it would give me expeirence and it was so messed up that I couldn't possibly make it worse. I have mostly righted the ship (we're still trying to take their servers offline but that will take a little bit longer in order to migrate them into the cloud).

    This experience has given me more hands-on experience in networking, servers (I was given direct management of their servers with the old "let us know if you have any questions" from our tier 3 team), and diplomacy. I also was given rights to create, change, and delete items within group policy and active directory. My security background helped us quickly route out bad group policy that was being used and was able to correct the issues for minimal impact on our users.

    I also am a jack of all trades in my tier 2 duties. I am the (apparently) the only one willing to deal with printers so I have extensive experience in networking, installing, and troubleshooting printers. I have also created a few scripts to assist in some daily activities. Just two years into my professional career, I am being invited to meetings with high-level staff as the helpdesk rep (although I have been here the least amount of time) and seem to have an insight into a majority of the projects going on.

    Question:

    What else can I be doing to move up? I have my eventual eye on a system admin position and eventually want to move into a security role. Are there any particular skills that I should be looking at developing? I really like my workplace but should I be keeping an eye out on outside positions?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/IlPassera
    [link] [comments]

    How to "get experience" without a job?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 08:20 PM PST

    I'm graduating with a CS degree next year and am now considering switching into IT instead. I may not be able to get a relevant job before I graduate. What can I do to demonstrate my value in the meantime?

    submitted by /u/bloue_panda
    [link] [comments]

    How to went from Helpdesk to Network Security Engineer

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 08:46 PM PST

    I hope this helps someone because i always wished to hear how others broke into cybersecurity. I talk about the certifications that got and what motivates me.

    https://youtu.be/ooUrMcBRby0

    submitted by /u/lmakonem
    [link] [comments]

    Shuffling between CISSP, CISM, and CRISC.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 04:11 AM PST

    Background: Commerce graduate with about 8 years experience in the field of audit & assurance of which 2 years spent in systems auditing after clearing CISA back in 2017 and have been working in systems audit ever since.

    Moving forward— I would like to establish myself in IT Governance, Risk and Compliance & Info. systems audit as opposed to the technical side (pen testing, appsec, etc.).

    Advice needed— I want to know which certifications would be the best for me to pursue and in which order out of the ones mentioned in the title. The objective is to enhance my resumè by making it more focussed on IT GRC/Systems auditing in order to get a better job whilst improving my technical skills since I primarily come from a non-technical background.

    Help appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/ZakX10
    [link] [comments]

    How to list on a resume?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:43 AM PST

    I held the same support position with an individual company, title changed but responsibilities stayed the same. Left for a couple months and came back in the same position. How to list this on a resume? Do I combine the positions or separate them?

    Company 1
    Support Tech (March 2018 - Pres.)
    Sn. Support Tech (April 2016 - Aug 2016)
    Support Tech (May 2014 - April 2016)

    Company 2

    Support Tech (Aug 2016 - March 2018)

    submitted by /u/MonitorGoat
    [link] [comments]

    Applied for a Help Desk Analyst position at my campus and having an interview tomorrow. What to expect?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:33 AM PST

    I'm a junior with zero experience , I applied to the position at my campus long time ago and didn't expect them to get back to me but they actually did last week so tomorrow I'm gonna have an interview with them, can any of you guys help me with what questions they gonna ask me? What to expect and how to prepare it?

    submitted by /u/ToMatser
    [link] [comments]

    Overweight and other health risks related to IT-jobs

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 08:50 AM PST

    As working a typical IT-job where you basically spend most of your time sitting at a desk, how important is it for you to work on your physical health in terms of exercise and nutrition?

    Any experience or struggles with fighting overweight specifically?

    submitted by /u/elphai
    [link] [comments]

    How can I become more assertive on support calls without coming across as rude?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 08:43 AM PST

    So, I work in Enterprise CloudOps IT Support for a software company. Most of the customers I interact with are SysAdmins, NetAdmins, System Engineers, etc, and most of them are very nice, pleasant and professional. However, just like in any walk of life, there are some a$$h0les. On a personal level, I tend to be about 60/40 introvert/extrovert, so confidence and assertiveness has not always come easy for me. However, I'm almost a decade into my career in IT, and I'm doing quite well...but I still struggle with this so am looking for some feedback and pointers, please. I've struggled with anxiety my whole life (and continue to), so sometimes I feel like my voice sounds shaky, but I don't know if that comes across on the call.

    Quick case-in-point: just the other day I had a call about a "Licensing" issue,which 9/10 times is NOT technical, of course, so not under my purvey. To make matters worse, going into the call I'm already thinking to myself "this guy sucks" because I had already called him and emailed him several times earlier in the week.....I was honestly hoping he wouldn't answer so I could just close out the ticket, but he did. So, just as expected, the guy doesn't under how the product works, and to make matters worse, he's a bit rude. After about 30 minutes on the call trying to determine if there is any real technical issue to address, he takes another call and puts me on hold for about 10 minutes, all the while yammering away to one of his colleagues about some other hardware issue that frankly didn't sound very urgent at all. I'm getting frustrated, and have another call coming up so I tell him flatly, "I have to drop. Check $thing and if that isn't the case, then there is nothing to be done here from a technical perspective." He huffs and says "I'll just open another ticket" then hangs up on me.

    So, unlike my usual MO where I might be too "nice" or perhaps not assertive enough, I feel like I was too assertive with the above case. How do I find the line, the balance?

    TL;DR - how can I be assertive enough to be effective without coming across as rude? My job depends on customer satisfaction, even if there's no technical resolution. TIA

    submitted by /u/TheEndTrend
    [link] [comments]

    Projects In Networking

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 01:28 AM PST

    Recently came across a site called www.projectsinnetworking.com, does anyone have any opinion on this? Are they legit?

    I'm looking to break into the IT field, currently studying for Net+ and some projects on there looked good for my own knowledge and as interview/CV supplements.

    submitted by /u/sandsnail1
    [link] [comments]

    Does something sound fishy about my company's SDLC/System Upgrade process?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:08 AM PST

    I posted this in /r/cscareerquestions but I think it may be a better fit here.


    Full disclosure: I have a background in computer science but my current position is more in user support. As such, my role in our SDLC is user acceptance testing.

    I work for a somewhat large US financial services company in a heavily regulated industry. We're currently upgrading one of our primary accounting systems, which includes an infrastructure upgrade (damn thing was still running on 2008) and a product upgrade from the vendor. We have a ton of custom code added to the product - a situation complicated by the fact that all the custom development was done by a third party partner that we have since severed ties with.

    The upgrade process does not have a project manager - instead a somewhat green BA is running the show. In theory, she, along with the developers and another BA, performed system integration testing prior to deploying the upgrade to our UAT environment. I say in theory because UAT is uncovering major issues that make me question the level of testing done on their end.

    Since this is not a full-scale development effort and instead more of an infrastructure upgrade, I wonder what the expectation would be for the thoroughness of SIT. In general for a project like this, should SIT catch nearly all issues, or is it normal for UAT to have a bunch of issues to send back to the developers?

    submitted by /u/HighlandValley
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a new job with 2.5 years of experience

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:17 PM PST

    I'm 19 and have been in IT for 2.5 years. I am planning on relocating in the near future and I am looking for advice on applying and interviewing. My current job is my first and only real job, and the thought of having to start from scratch somewhere new is stressful.

    Some background: I am currently the solo IT guy for a company of ~80 users. I'm currently in charge of all technical support, AD, Group Policy, Office 365, backups, servers, network, software deployment / management, IT projects, and some more fun stuff. I currently have no certifications, and I am not attending college. All my experience is on the job and teaching myself as much as possible.

    I've been looking at job openings and the requirements seem to vary drastically. Just trying to figure out where I fall, and what positions I should be looking at.

    submitted by /u/Yahhms
    [link] [comments]

    Graduating soon, pathway for becoming a Database Administrator?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 10:06 PM PST

    I'm graduating from university with a bachelors in IT soon, what's the best entry level positions that will eventually lead me into a database administrator role later down my career path? I've been applying to just about every entry level IT job I can find online, but haven't gotten many responses. Here's my resume, any constrtuctive criticism would be appreciated!

    https://i.imgur.com/qKQpmyc.png

    submitted by /u/Maseve
    [link] [comments]

    Guidance or suggestions for Entry Level

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 04:39 PM PST

    So I have graduated with a A.A. in Computer Science, and I also have a bachelors for a couple of years now. I am currently working on getting some Certs like A+, Network, and MCSE Server2016, I been working for the last 9 years in a different field that has no real correlation to IT, I am currently trying to see how or where I can get experience without giving up on my Monday to Friday job that is 8AM to 5PM. Anyone has an idea of online jobs or a type of IT job that deals with night shift?

    submitted by /u/lumenamp
    [link] [comments]

    Alternatives to the 9-5: WFH, consulting, contracting, and entrepreneurship

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:13 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I have 11 years of experience working in IT administration, 7 of those years were freelance, 4 of those years as a traditional 9-5 sysadmin running an IT department. I recently quit that 9-5 to explore alternatives of that lifestyle and I'm interested in the experiences of other people who have worked outside of the standard 9AM-5PM schedule.

    When I worked freelance as my own IT services business, I was able to create my own schedule and choose projects I was interested in, but sometimes I would end up spending more time fixing an issue than what was economically profitable and everything depended on my own ability. It was awesome to be in the trenches and learn the most important lessons on IT service and entrepreneurship, but it was very volatile and I needed to improve my knowledge on running a business. Ideally you have solid business procedures and structures in place to ensure you're always turning a profit.

    I decided to work a corporate 9-5 and it was a complete change of pace. I didn't like waking up early to sit in morning traffic, nor did I like being in a gray cubicle the entire time the sun was out, but I got a steady paycheck and was paid for 8hrs of work whether or not there was work to be done. On my off-time I would study things above my level. I learned how to script and automate administrative work, systems engineering and architecture, cloud, and enterprise security practices. I became the solo IT admin and owned everything with the IT system, but I reached a glass ceiling and couldn't get paid my market rate, nor was I building any equity for something that was entirely my liability. I would still think about my work and do research even though I wasn't getting paid for it. For 9-5 work, ideally you stop thinking about work after clocking out, you get good benefits/PTO/WFH, have a good culture, and are able to match your market rate/job hop often.

    Now I'm back to exploring entrepreneurial efforts but I'm interested in trying out consulting or contract work.

    There's a lot of change going on in the labor market, especially for US tech workers. If you're a consultant, contractor, entrepreneur, or other freelance tech worker let me know your thoughts and experiences working an alternative schedule, and any tips to make it work.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Willbo
    [link] [comments]

    First week in my first helpdesk role need advice.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 04:49 PM PST

    Finished my first week at my job and It is very overwhelming. I haven't done to much yet. but how long did it take you to get comfortable taking calls, logging tickets and troubleshooting issues efficiently. I just started phone intake and trying to log tickets but I am kind of slow. Already had a user get mad because I was not even done creating the ticket he wanted a remote session right away and I am trying to learn all the tools and technologies and how to find things. I am not expected of much the first few weeks but it's a lot when you work for an msp where there's so many different clients and setups. Co workers have been super helpful so far.

    submitted by /u/sealdragon2
    [link] [comments]

    Leaving my first helpdesk role

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 08:58 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I'm thinking of leaving my first help desk role (level 1-2) just before my 1st year as working with my colleagues has become unbearable and find somewhere closer (very long commute atm). I've got network+. Should I stick it out to get more experience before leaving or could I find a decent paying role somewhere else without it looking bad on my resume?

    submitted by /u/D0ra1221
    [link] [comments]

    Serious question about background record.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:03 PM PST

    So to say a little about my credentials and experience, I have a couple CompTIA certs, A+ and Net+, and CEH cert. Not a whole lot of professional experience outside of general repair, builds, and troubleshooting. My question is, how much would a non-violent, non stealing or robbery felony hold me back in the IT field? It was about 5 years ago at this point if time matters at all, and also the lowest possible form of a felony.

    EDIT: I'm aware that I would have to get, and stay clean. That's not at all what I'm asking. I appreciate your advice on the topic, but I already know that. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/gapingshanus
    [link] [comments]

    Master's Degree - MBA, MS, or Harvard ALM?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:57 PM PST

    Hi yall, I'm looking to take advantage of my companies tuition reimbursement. I see a few paths and just wanted to get some advice:

    Background

    I have a BS in IT and work for a Fortune 100 tech company in field service. I eventually want to be a pre-sales engineer and don't have any aspirations for management.

    School Choices

    • MBA/ IT MBA through Western Governors/Online School ($ No cost to me | 1-2 years)
    • MS in IS through local brick and mortar college (~$5k to me | 3 years)
    • ALM (Masters of Liberal Arts) in Information Management Systems through Harvard Extension School. (~$10k to me | 4 years)

    My Thoughts

    The best ROI would be whatever's free, although I'm not sure learning wise the free schools will do anything but be a checkbox I can mark. The local b&m school is nice, but also far from where I live thus making commutes in after work non-appealing. Finally, HES has the most interesting classes but also comes with the most cost, time, and a weird degree title.

    I'd like to go ahead and work on my masters before I've been out of the school habit for too long. Thank you in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/Bama_Edward
    [link] [comments]

    Shoot for the AWS Cloud Practitioner or the SysOps Administrator first?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:49 PM PST

    Howdy folks,

    I am currently a Desktop Support Analyst (only cert is the A+) for a small school (pretty much handle every single thing IT related for the school). Im thinking about going to get my AWS certs so I can beef up my resume and land a higher paying job.

    I have about 6 years in the field as a desktop 1-3 and a little sysadmin. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience starting from my level. Should I go for the practitioner or just skip to the Sysops cert?

    Also, I tried getting my Server 2016 cert from Microsoft, but that test was BS (I'm sure some of you know my pain) and I failed it by two questions. Is the AWS tests as tricky as the MS kind? Or are they more straight forward like the CompTIA stuff?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/magnosfw
    [link] [comments]

    Apprenticeships vs Contract roles

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:26 PM PST

    I've had a service desk contract role from a one star company according to google which I was let go from in less than a month because they claimed I lacked multitasking skills and I wasn't learning fast enough for them despite doing my best. If I get hired for the same type of role I'm afraid that the same thing is going to happen again and I have an interview from an apprenticeship role on Monday. I'm afraid I'm not going to be given a chance to improve and be let go again should I be offered the job. I thought because this is an apprenticeship I would have a better chance and this seems like a company that invests in its IT department. Do you think I'll have a better chance than last time?

    submitted by /u/SSJZ94
    [link] [comments]

    Quitting First System Administration Position After 4 Months!?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:13 PM PST

    TLDR: would it look bad if I switched System Administration positions after only 4 months at my first System Administration role while being the only tech there and not liking it anymore?

    I've been in Desktop Support for 3 years and got my first System Administration position in October and am already tired of it. It's a really small MSP that consists of me and my boss, who is not technical at all. He's currently trying to get a senior level person, after the other one quit a few months back, but I was hoping to join a team with a good amount of people who are more experienced than I am so I can learn from them, but decided to go here because it was the first System Administration position that reached out to me, so I immediately hopped onto it in excitement. In the small amount of time I've been here, I've seen backups not running for more than a year at client sites, No one knew we were supposed to be approving updates for servers and workstations, so there were literally more than 1500 patches that I sifted through to approve and deny for servers and workstations, which leads me to assume they haven't been doing it for years, if at all, RDP was facing the Internet on one of our clients cloud server that has a shit ton of people's social security numbers contained on it!!! The server was setup by my company before I was hired on and it was being brute forced by a bunch of different IPs, so I moved them to a VPN, which should have been done already (When I brought it up to my boss, I was asked why it matters!!!! Even AFTER bringing up how they were being brute forced!!!!!). It was simple for me to explain to my boss why it matters, which he understood, but I shouldn't even have to explain it because that is IT 101. If you're an owner of an MSP, then that is a question you should already know the answer to. This literally made me lose sleep for several nights just thinking about it!! I never would have assumed that the role would be me fixing clients screw ups as well as our own! Would it look bad if I put in my 2 weeks notice, while being the only technician there? How would I even explain my reasoning for quitting so early to companies I apply to without sounding like I'm bad mouthing another company? Should I just wait it out for a bit and leave later on when I've been here for a longer time? Appreciate any advice

    submitted by /u/XxninjaclutchxX
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel