• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, February 7, 2020

    Home Networking I’ve followed countless guides, but cannot overcome DHCP error

    Home Networking I’ve followed countless guides, but cannot overcome DHCP error


    I’ve followed countless guides, but cannot overcome DHCP error

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:49 AM PST

    I've spent many hours reading detailed guides on how to successfully connect my Xbox One to my network via Ethernet. In particular, I followed a detailed guide in this link last night and still failed to connect.

    Wireless works, but when I connect the console to Ethernet I get a message stating "can't connect to your DHCP server". I've dug through my routers settings page, cleared it in the DHCP list, tried bypassing by setting up a static IP, tried switching from ipv4 to ipv6, tried resetting the Xbox's MAC address - nothing has worked. Please let me know if you have any idea of something else I could try. I would be happy to answer specific questions about my attempts.

    I'm not a kid who's asking for help because I don't want to look it up lol. I'm a grown man with solid technology troubleshooting skills, and I'm embarrassed that I cannot figure this out.

    submitted by /u/Oooooooooooohdaddy
    [link] [comments]

    When connecting to a VPN, do I have to delete the cookies in my web browser so that my computer doesn’t know my actual location?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:35 PM PST

    Would DD-WRT help a WRT1900ACS?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:21 AM PST

    I'm trying to get Steam Streaming to work and the network is unstable, I would expect that router to be able to stream 1080@60. In fact, I did it several times few years ago. So I'm wondering what going on and if DD-WRT could help? On my old wireless router, I was using that and it worked really well but I'm a bit worried to mess around with flashing the device, moreover if it won't help that much. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gifred
    [link] [comments]

    Question: Is a good CPU in a WiFi router the best spec to have for a lot of devices?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:05 PM PST

    I know that the internet speed is only going to be as good as the rest of the system. However, if I am planning on putting in a lot of locally operated stuff: like lights, music, or a network accessed had drive I DONT actually care if the network if connected to the internet. I just want the local network to be REALLY good. So what specs would I be looking for, any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/simlando9876
    [link] [comments]

    Mesh wifi - of placed in a spot with slow wifi, would it just amplify that slow wifi?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:17 PM PST

    I'm looking for a way to get better wifi speeds in some corners of my house. Currently I have a single router on the second floor, I get lousy speeds on the first and third floor. My house isn't huge (1700 sq ft) so I suspect the slow speeds are caused by interference from the walls and floor.

    Mesh looks like the solution... But if I put a mesh hub wher the current router is, then mesh satellites in the wifi gets slow, would the wifi in those spots still be slow (because the mesh satellite would be connecting to that same impeded signal)?

    submitted by /u/pnutbutterpirate
    [link] [comments]

    Is the TP-Link AC1750 still a go-to router for small apartments?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:12 PM PST

    I'm moving into a two-bedroom apartment next month and have found a lot of places recommending this router. I want to keep it under $100 and the lower the better. It's currently $55 on Amazon.

    I don't need anything fancy besides a reliable connection. However, I will have about 4-5 Wyze cams connected to it.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/alexdrod
    [link] [comments]

    network level VPN blocking

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:11 AM PST

    I'm currently on a train where they have free wifi. I wanted to connect to a device back at home to check on something, so I fired up the vpn connection on my Win10 laptop to my home router (asus rt-ac66u) which normally works fine... however the on-board wifi appears to be blocking this connection now. I can ping devices on my local home network but can't access things like web interfaces or shared folders.

    I've managed to find a workaround by using LogMeIn Hamachi to connect to my work network, then I can connect to my home vpn. This allows traffic to flow as expected.

    My question is, how does Hamachi hide the packets (from, I assume, some deep packet inspection) from the train wifi?

    submitted by /u/yellowmonkeydishwash
    [link] [comments]

    I recently acquired a Avalon AW900xTR 900mhz Ethernet radio... what can I do with it?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:51 PM PST

    So, I've never heard of this device before... because I'm just your average Joe Blow. I am assuming I could mount this outside my house and use it to expand the WIFI signal to my entire back yard? I need to buy Avalon's "Power Over Ethernet Injector" and power supply before I can tinker with it, as those items didn't come with my acquisition.

    The AW900xTR is $699 retail and this thing is mint, used indoors in an office for its life.Not sure if I should keep to tinker with or try to make some money since it was free to me.

    submitted by /u/Recondite_neophyte
    [link] [comments]

    Plugging ethernet to my laptop cuts down my WiFi signal strength?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:22 AM PST

    I have a desktop and laptop both hardwired to my router individually. It's a Linksys e4200. If I unplug my laptop my WiFi signal is very strong on the other end of the house. If I leave it plugged in then the signal strength is almost non-existent. Why is this happening?

    submitted by /u/TurboBerries
    [link] [comments]

    Possibility to force my router to stay on DFS channels?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:36 AM PST

    My apartment complex has a shit ton of interference thanks to that stupid xifinity wifi. Scanning showed me that I'd better off get 80/160mhz channels from DFS spectrum for that non-DFS' are full of SSIDs from Comcast modems

    What's worse, it seems that my router keeps picking up radar signals and moving away from DFS channels. There is no weather radar within 50mi around me, according to this site. But there is an airport ~15mi away, which may be the cause of me getting kicked off.

    The thing is, I can't even detect my 5G signal ~150ft(in front of apartment's mail room) away from my window, I don't believe it is possible for my router causing any problem to an airport 15mi away. Is there any possible way to force it ignore radar detection and stay TF on band 100?

    submitted by /u/ZestyTheory321
    [link] [comments]

    Connection timeout in home network but remote HTTP calls from an EC2 image works instantaneous

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:20 PM PST

    I have the following setup

    Internet <-> Router <-> Machine A 

    The router configuration is

    External IP *, Internal IP 192.168.0.87 External Port 80, Internal Port 80 

    When I'm on Machine A and run curl <public ip>:80 I get connection timeouts, the curl never exits.

    When I'm on Machine B, an EC2 instance and run the same curl I get instantaneous exists.

    I can ping the public ip, and the router responds.

    What could be the reason that I'm unable to curl my server from my own network?

    submitted by /u/dersand
    [link] [comments]

    New router help, Mikrotik,OpenWRT?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:56 AM PST

    Hello, want to get a new router. Currently use mikrotik rb2011UiAS but want to upgrade to RB4011igs Just want faster wifi

    Currently use pihole on it, looking into router level vpn

    Should I stick with mikrotik or move on (been looking into openWRT)

    Point me in the right direction 😄

    submitted by /u/3Thor
    [link] [comments]

    Would something like this be sufficient for connecting a router to a desktop in an ordinary house?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:18 PM PST

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Ethernet-Gigabit-1000Mbit-Broadband/dp/B014DWXJ4Y

    -my bandwidth is a scarce 60-100mbps

    -The length is 25M (82 FEET)

    -Cat6 even though it might be altered

    I just want all the Upload/Download that my already poor bandwidth can give, without latency problems and without interferences.

    I need it flat for design purposes, but I've heard that there could be some Electromagnetic Interferences.

    submitted by /u/Darkus__
    [link] [comments]

    Putting a Switch Somewhere that I Don't have Power

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:29 AM PST

    Hi /r/HomeNetworking,

    I have an ethernet port in the room with my router, an ethernet port in my office, and both of those cables run to my attic right by where the attic access is. I want to put a networking hub there with a switch but I don't have an easy way to power a powered switch. I was thinking of getting a PoE powered switch, but:

    A. I don't know how to find one. Every time I search for PoE switches I find ones that generate PoE, but plug into a power source B. I'm not sure if my router actually even generates PoE in the first place.

    What would you guys suggest I do in this case?

    I do also have a lightbulb that I can probably hook into, but it's got a pull cord which would make it a pain to deal with already.

    submitted by /u/TomLikesGuitar
    [link] [comments]

    home network options for parents' house

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:45 PM PST

    My parents are in their 70s and recently moved to a new house in a smaller town. They are retired, but are fairly heavy Internet users. I work in IT, but they now live two hours away, so I'm trying to set them up with an upgraded home network. They are currently using a 24-port HP1910 switch and Cisco 1602 access point in autonomous mode.

    They will need at least two access points with a controller and a 24-port switch (not sure if they need POE yet). I'm most comfortable with Cisco stuff, so I priced out a C1000 switch and two 9115 APs with embedded controllers and...ouch. Total is over $3k.

    What, if anything, is comparable here, but less expensive? Reliability is the primary criterion. I need stuff that doesn't go wonky from time to time and require periodic reboots. Neither they nor I want to deal with that.

    I know that lots of folks like Ubiquiti, but the emphasis on that product line seems to be more on "features," rather than "stability."

    For my own home, I like to get used Cisco hardware on Ebay (switch and access points), but I would prefer to buy new for this application. The ability to use a command-line interface for configuration is important to me (as opposed to a web GUI); otherwise, the needs are fairly minimal.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/a60v
    [link] [comments]

    Those who have Sky BB in the UK - can you have Sky router in modem mode?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:07 PM PST

    Hi guys I'm moving places and can't get virgin where I am and don't want to change my home lab set up.

    I was wondering if it's possible to put the sky hub in modem mode or would I need to buy an older BT modem and use that instead?

    Thanks Leprejohn

    submitted by /u/LepreJohn
    [link] [comments]

    Modem question

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:43 AM PST

    I bought a cm600 24x8 modem, I noticed in the interface it says that all 24 down stream channels are locked with 4 upsteam locked. Would this mean it's using the 24 downstream channels then?

    submitted by /u/HillarysFloppyChode
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me decide which router to purchase: TP-link Archer C6 or Dlink DIR 841?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:35 AM PST

    I'm probably going to have to purchase a router soon but I'm not sure which one to purchase.

    My budget is around ₹2000 (roughly 30 USD). The requirements I have are that it should be dual band, have MU-MIMO and have good range. Gigabit LAN ports would be very nice to have but is not necessary.

    I have shortlisted 2 routers that meet all the above requirements:

    1. TP-Link Archer C6. There's also the Archer A6 which AFAIK is the exact same device but can only be bought online.

    2. D-link DIR-841.

    Both of the above routers have all the features I mentioned and are AC1200 speed. The only difference between the two AFAIK is that the TP link can be used as part of a mesh network (which is not a feature I require) while the dlink cannot and the Dlink is WPA3 certified while the TP Link is not.

    Of the above 2 routers, which one should I get? Is there a better router or another option that I should be considering in the same price range (the maximum I'm willing to pay is ₹2500 which is approximately 35 USD)?

    submitted by /u/jasonj2232
    [link] [comments]

    Router Help: Inconsistent 5GHz channel performance on a Tri-Band router

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:23 AM PST

    I'm trying to figure out where to start with this one. I replaced an old-ish Asus RT-AC68U with the newer Asus GT-AC5300. Primarily, the older router was just not keeping up with 4K streaming in the house. My plan for the new router was a 5GHz channel for computers, and a 5GHz channel for Streaming systems, then leave all the older home automation stuff to the 2.4GHz band because range. The GT-AC5300 has a beefier processor and more memory, so my hope was that it would keep up. Reviews certainly suggested it would.

    Here's my issue: Last night I noticed that all of the devices on one of the 5GHz channels had bounced off and were on the old 2.4GHz channel. The one channel wasn't discoverable by devices. I rebooted the router, and rebalanced the devices, but noticed that devices connecting to one of the 5GHz channels were not getting the same Tx rate as the others. Right now I'm looking at two nearly identical MacBook pros, and one is reporting a 650 Mbps Tx rate, while the other is at 174 Mbps. The laptops are within a foot of each other. I can put both on the same channel and see the same Tx rate - fast or slow. The client list on the router backs this up as well - clients on 5GHz.1 are seeing 650+ and clients on 5GHz.2 are stuck at 173.3Mbps. Also worrisome was that a bandwidth test between the two also saw a difference - I was seeing the full 250Mbps from my ISP on the one channel, but wavering between 5Mbps and 74Mbps on the other.

    Shouldn't the two 5GHz channels be performing the same? Or very close to it (assuming there isn't a ton of streaming going on)?

    This router was purchased as an open box from Amazon's warehouse, so my hunch is that it's actually a problem unit.

    submitted by /u/Dolsh
    [link] [comments]

    Windows pc as a switch?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 05:15 PM PST

    Probably dumb question but in an attempt to go minimalistic in my office could I throw a 4port nic in my windows pc and replace the simple switch I use?

    submitted by /u/Potnotman
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help/advice on ping behaviour in LoL (games) - and no it’s not just a generic how do I get lower ping post.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 05:00 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm experiencing some interesting ping behaviour in League of Legends (it's a game) that I thought someone here might be able to explain.

    I've recently rearranged my router/ont and as part of this I noticed my motherboard has both a standard intel Ethernet port, as well as an Aquantia 5GbE port.

    After ensuring my Ethernet cable was plugged into the 5GbE port, I booted up LoL and noticed that my ping in-game was 7 (usually ~48). After this I tried the standard Ethernet port again and low and behold my ping was ~48 again.

    At this point I thought I'd hit the jackpot, and this 5GbE port was working miracles giving me 7 ping (and it was very noticeable, so I know it wasn't some visual glitch).

    However, the next time I've booted up the PC, my ping begins at 12 or so, increasing in increments of around 5 every second until it reaches ~48. Does anyone here know what might have caused this behaviour? Or potentially how I can retain the lower ping that I had for a few hours?

    Sorry for the wall of text and I hope it's easy ish to follow... I really appreciate any advice.

    Cheers,

    Jared

    submitted by /u/Jerty117
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for improving LAN speed (Staying inside the network)

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 04:20 PM PST

    Hello Everyone!!!

    I have some questions about SFP modules!

    I am running some cable through my home but my equipment is kind of dated! To make this easy first I'll explain what I have to work with and what I plan to get. Also let me get it out of the way that I am not trying to improve speed out to the internet. I am referring to staying inside my network!

    Network

    What I have:
    Edge-router
    Mini Switch with gig ports
    Cisco 3750 (Gig Up-link x4 and FEx48 POE)
    Cisco 2950 (Gig Up-link x2 and FE x24)

    How I need the network laid out:
    Modem
    >>Edge-router
    >>>1 switch (Maybe the Un-managed mini switch (All 5 ports are gig)
    \
    >>>>>Lab (NAS, Proxmox etc.)
    \
    >>>>>Potentially more down the line
    \
    >2 switch (Maybe the 3750)
    \
    >>>>>Android Box, Living Room Dock, etc.)
    \
    >>>>>Access Point
    \
    >>>>>>>>>>WI-Fi Devices
    \
    >>>>>>>Maybe another AP down the line

    Now while it seems I have everything laid out perfectly the problem here is both the Cisco devices only have FE ports for the LAN ports.

    SFP Modules Questions:

    1. Will an SFP like THIS allow me to go from the edge-router to either of those Cisco devices or do the 2 devices have to be identical?
    2. I am assuming THESE are useless if all my up-link and not up to the same speed right?
    3. If there is a path between 2 devices that doesn't hit the router (i.e inter-switch devices or devices between 2 connected switches) if I get the path from NAS > Proxmox or Android > Nas at 10GB without touching the main router will it work? Or do all my packets hit the router before making their way to the device its trying to talk to.
    4. What SFP can I get to make a few LAN ports GB/GB+/10GB
    5. What other options would you guys suggest?
    6. I am limited on funds here so I can only afford cheap options. 2-3 cheap SFPs work for me but anything in the same price range would also be good.

    \* I'd love to buy newer better switches so unless someone else has a cheap alternative this is what I am stuck with...**\**

    submitted by /u/AnUncreativeName10
    [link] [comments]

    Internet speeds

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:58 PM PST

    I have a gigabit internet plan and my desktop is only receiving 5-10 all new equipment, other devices work fine?

    submitted by /u/Randy_Le224
    [link] [comments]

    iOS app to control router?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:45 PM PST

    Is there any iOS app to control routers? I have a ZTE 298 but it lacks of app support unlike other brands such as TP-Link, Asus, D-Link etc.

    I used to use this app called wifi control on android but I don't know any good app for iOS. I purchased Wi-Fi Blocker but it doesn't work even though my model is supported.

    Any alternatives?

    submitted by /u/m0niyaw
    [link] [comments]

    Home Setup Help for 4 Floor 3500 Sq. Ft. House

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:31 PM PST

    My house has one access point on the second floor. Would you recommend using the google nest router with an additional google point, or is there a better product?

    submitted by /u/DrZabbsdingo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel