• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, August 2, 2019

    Weekly "anything goes" thread! Android Dev

    Weekly "anything goes" thread! Android Dev


    Weekly "anything goes" thread!

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 05:41 AM PDT

    Here's your chance to talk about whatever!

    Although if you're thinking about getting feedback on an app, you should wait until tomorrow's App Feedback thread.

    Remember that while you can talk about any topic, being a jerk is still not allowed.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Sums up my experience with Android Studio updates

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 10:58 PM PDT

    Emulator 29.1.8 Canary

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    Batman crashed my app

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 04:56 AM PDT

    Gesture Navigation: Going edge-to-edge - Android Developers - Medium

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    Is it possible to fix Android File Transfer?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 06:45 AM PDT

    What is "throw new RuntimeException("Stub!")"?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 12:23 PM PDT

    What is throw new RuntimeException("Stub!")?

    whenever I examine package classes looking to see the insides of a specific method I find it everywhere:

    public final void setText(CharSequence text) { throw new RuntimeException("Stub!"); } 

    What does it do exactly? Why couldn't they have these methods' proper implementations to be accessible for users?

    Shouldn't setText say something like this.text = text; inside of it instead of throw new RuntimeException("Stub!")?

    submitted by /u/UltSar
    [link] [comments]

    Paint.setMaskFilter() works with hardware acceleration on only with API level 28 and up?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    I'm confused because according to this https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/hardware-accel.html they still haven't got around to implement it. But in reality it works. And on lower APIs it doesn't. So I guess that document is inaccurate. My question is this if (android.os.Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.P) is sufficient to make sure I only use it if its going to work? I can't switch off HW acceleration because I'd get a terrible framerate.

    submitted by /u/Zilka
    [link] [comments]

    Play Store question: publish app only for specific brand/device

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 11:49 AM PDT

    Hi, i'm trying to upload an app and make it available to one device only, or a brand of devices. I need that filter on the Play Store, because we don't want the app to show in the public developer app list.

    I tried with devices exclusions on the Play Console, but the set of customizable rules are too poor to accomplish my needs. I also searched if there is an option for the manifest, but didn't find something useful.

    I already have runtime checks, but that's not the solution we want. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/thomprycejones
    [link] [comments]

    Should I use firebase only for authentication?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    I want to use authentication in my application and don't want to create all authentication system of my own. So should I use firebase only for authentication purpose?

    After the user logs into the application with firebase, I'll send the id token which is a JWT to the backend and verify it with the firebase admin SDK. Is this approach fine or Is there any alternative to the email/password based authentication system?

    submitted by /u/imva508
    [link] [comments]

    What should i do if getArguments comes null in onCreate() method of Fragment?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:50 AM PDT

    From an activity, i create a fragment and put some Bundle into it then and show the fragment

    I'm retrieving data in the following way, in my fragment.

    @Override public View onCreateView(LayoutInflater inflater, @Nullable ViewGroup container, @Nullable Bundle savedInstanceState) { // ... Bundle bundle = getArguments(); ResultReceiver resultReceiver = bundle.getParcelable(EXTRA_RESULT_RECEIVER); if(bundle==null){ What should i do here } else{ Here is happy path. Birds are singing, ants are playing. } // ... } 

    Intellij warns me about bundle may be null. But i do not know what action should i take if getArguments() comes null.

    Because all data and logic available in fragment comes with bundle. Which action do you carry out in this scenario in your projects?

    submitted by /u/oiyio
    [link] [comments]

    A Little Thing about Android Module Paths

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 09:51 AM PDT

    X-post: Review of harmful apps on Google Play in July 2019 : androidapps

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:58 AM PDT

    Devfest Tbilisi 2019 - Call For Papers!

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:35 PM PDT

    Call For Papers!

    #DevFestTbilisi will be held in Georgia for the seventh time and will take its place on the world map, as an inseparable part of the global events.

    The approximate number of participants is 500.

    Get the vibe by watching last year's recap video of DevFest Tbilisi: https://youtu.be/9_CYXsbUg1E

    submitted by /u/tatocaster
    [link] [comments]

    Requesting the Microphone permission

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 06:05 AM PDT

    I need the microphone permission for the audio visualiser in my app because of this library.

    My plan is to ask for it from the user at the start of the app, with a message explaining what it's used for.

    However, I'm worried about this sketching users out.

    1. What's your experience using an approach like this?

    2. Are there any alternative libraries that I can use?

    submitted by /u/TaimoorGT
    [link] [comments]

    is native Android development falling behind flutter?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    Room doesn't seem to storing data into a non-encrypted sqlite db

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 04:02 AM PDT

    Room doesn't seem to storing data into a non-encrypted sqlite db

    I've been working on a toy project to get into the rhythm of Android development with Kotlin, using the Google Udacity courses/projects as a guide. Things have going well until I started trying to extract the sqlite db of my app and view it in a sqlite browser.

    The problem is, the database file, test_application_database, seems to be empty every time I open it. Out of the 3 db files: test_application_database, test_application_database-shm, and test_application_database-wal

    test_application_database-wal is the only one that increases in size when I insert a row via Room in my app. The other 2 stay the same size, which tells me no data is being saved to it.

    Of course when I open test_application_database-wal I'm prompted for a password, I do not know.

    https://i.redd.it/vtst6489n0e31.png

    I've been testing my app using the Android Studio emulator targeting API 28

    I initialized Room in my app in the same way as done here

    submitted by /u/JessieHaxx
    [link] [comments]

    Blueprint - a collection of Architectural frameworks and toolkits for bootstrapping modern Android codebases.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:30 PM PDT

    Which recent Android Wear device for debugging and testing?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 06:41 PM PDT

    I'm not an everyday wear user but I need a fairly recent device for app testing on wear. Most reviews concentrate on the user experience and would I appreciate developer suggestions.

    I'm looking for something:

    • easy to debug apps on
    • fairly recent (or something that won't age out soon)
    • a "standard" general device for testing that is not ultra customized
    • preferably round, but square is fine if it's a better device or easier to debug

    Would something like the Fossil Sport or the LG Watch Style be a good choice>

    submitted by /u/fishyswaz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel