• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, August 4, 2019

    [RANT] Edge... Windows Help

    [RANT] Edge... Windows Help


    [RANT] Edge...

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 04:42 PM PDT

    Well, not so much of a rant as it is a yell... I just have to get this off my chest: As an IT professional, I cannot stress enough how much grief Edge has caused. from personal user computers, to our own corporate devices... Somehow this thing will find it's way back to the default browser, even though our group policy is set otherwise. And on personal machine, users who call IT who think they're using IE, are using Edge.... Our systems are not built for this browser. We have several legacy systems that need IE to run. Edge is a non starter.

    Ugh!

    Anyway, I just honest to God wish Microsoft could issue an update that completely removes Edge, and restores IE as default until Edge Chromium can be completed. What a mess.

    /Rant

    submitted by /u/Albert-React
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop problems

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 02:13 PM PDT

    Everytime I turn my laptop on I get a blue error screen "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" is the error code it won't let me reset it or restore it so I'm not sure wat else to do is there a way to hard rest it or a disk I could buy to repair it.

    submitted by /u/Messiahsam
    [link] [comments]

    Mildly pleasing.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    Unknown items when using Task Switcher

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 01:54 PM PDT

    Unknown items when using Task Switcher

    Hello, I recently had a new PC build and after about 2 weeks on a fresh installation I noticed some items on Task Switcher that I have never seen before, namely Start, two items named Windows, and two called Microsoft Text Input Application, can anyone advise what they are and how to get rid of them?

    https://i.redd.it/hrnmf17hwhe31.jpg

    submitted by /u/TennesseeGenesis
    [link] [comments]

    Able to use a 3TB drive on Windows 7?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    So I bought a Western Digital Blue 3TB drive. Attempted to install Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1. It created an MBR partition, a 2TB partition, and the rest unused space that a partition cannot be created within.

    I tried formatting the disk by the command line, but Windows says that it cannot install to that partition.

    I tried partition managers that promised to be able to format 3TB as NTFS, but they all failed.

    I talked to a technician at the electronics store from which I purchased the disk and was told I needed to covert the disk to GPT, and sure enough I was able to create a partition across the entire 3TB, but Windows will not install to a GPT partition.

    I am flummoxed by the problem, and am considering just biting the bullet that I have a 3TB disk that identifies as a 2TB disk.

    Or is there a way to install Windows 7 on a 3TB partition that I haven't tried?

    submitted by /u/charlesstricklin
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to have the mic on Game Bar on by default?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    It's sad when I do a capture (Record Last 30 secs) but forgot to have the mic option turned on.

    submitted by /u/BlitzStriker52
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else having video playback issues here on Reddit with latest Edge(chrome) build?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 07:03 PM PDT

    The video plays but it's really choppy to the point its unwatchable. I tried in Firefox and it works just fine.

    submitted by /u/Jon23L
    [link] [comments]

    Extended ASCII Characters in NotePad

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 12:46 PM PDT

    I've tried numerous times to create the ASCII character 178 from the extended ASCII characters within notepad, including saving the file as UTF-8, UTF-16 LE in either case the character 178 from the extended ASCII characters is not created ?

    submitted by /u/SonicSkunk
    [link] [comments]

    Background image blur when signing on to Win10. I don't like it, not one bit.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 03:45 PM PDT

    It's the single thing about Windows 10 that I can't stand. 😣

    Otherwise, I'm all in. Have been for almost 40 years. Started with 3.1 👴

    Is there any way to prevent it?

    submitted by /u/gwillybj
    [link] [comments]

    Please fix Windows 10 so that it stops asking me to create a PIN at EVERY login!

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 03:51 PM PDT

    And it doesn't give me the option to skip it at all! The only button available is "Create PIN" so I have to create a PIN and then delete it EVERY TIME! 1903.

    submitted by /u/snikito
    [link] [comments]

    getting access to an old windows 8.1 tablet

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 05:42 PM PDT

    Hello, I got an old win 8.1 tablet (bluechip TRAVELline T8 Tablet, last used around 2015) from a friend. It has a guest account that I can use for most things, but sooner or later I would need the admin password that my friend doesn't remember.

    I would prefer to keep the windows installation, but I would also be happy if I could change the boot order and install another OS. What could I do, to get full access to the tablet? There are no important files on the tablet, I wouldn't care to factory reset it.

    submitted by /u/EbenenBonobo
    [link] [comments]

    Find Sub-folders Question

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 11:23 AM PDT

    So, pretty much I am in a situation of organizing certain files properly. The situation is I have a bunch of folders and I want to know if any of these folders contain a sub-folder in them. Pretty much if there's a subfolder located inside any of these folders, I'll have to fix it. How would I go about doing this in Windows or is there software like XY explorer that's capable of doing this for me? Any information regarding these matters would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

    submitted by /u/unknowncool333
    [link] [comments]

    "Countdown to Goodness" bug

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 09:26 AM PDT

    I keep getting a Windows pop-up (generally every 45 min) telling me it plans to update my computer by restarting, with 3 options to click: Wait an hour; Ok; or Restart Now. Thing is, it has already restarted my computer at least 4 times, yet the message still comes up. Does anyone know how to stop this/force it to finish the update?

    submitted by /u/Tinia_and_Nethuns
    [link] [comments]

    Hearing Windows 2000 sounds everywhere!

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 11:31 PM PDT

    I'm hearing them in toys, TV shows, and even kiosks.

    Let's see... I had a toy ATM that played chimes.wav as a kid, Foster's Home used chord.wav, ding.wav and chimes.wav all in one episode (World Wide Wabbit), notify.wav was used on a cheap toy phone, and tada.wav was used on my local grocery store's coupon kiosk.

    I'm not saying it's stealing... it's just very interesting.

    BONUS: Neopets game Wicked Wocky Wobble uses Microsoft Plus! 98 sound Utopia Question.wav.

    submitted by /u/mlg_neopian
    [link] [comments]

    Windows is having trouble running anything

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 07:13 PM PDT

    I run windows 10, up until recently my computer had been working fine, now I'm at a point where it can't right click anything, apps will say they're running but not appear, and the computer crashes randomly. I had all of these problems previously and I had tried reinstalling windows, running sfc /scannow, and running chkdsk /f c:

    This all led me to believe it was a hard drive issue, so I went out and bought a brand new 500gb ssd. For a few days everything ran great, it was even running fine earlier today, now all of the sudden these issues are back and I'm not sure what to do.

    System diagnostics say everything is fine, and the ssd is brand new. Sfc says that there are corrupted files detected but it was not able to fix some of them, so obviously the problem is with windows. however, when I first installed windows 10 on the new ssd I ran sfc and it said all of my files were in order. The only things I've downloaded are steam (and some games) and the GeForce experience. All of my drivers are up to date as well as my version of windows. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Emerson113mb
    [link] [comments]

    Numeric Keypad missing from keyboard

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 06:09 PM PDT

    My keyboard does not have a numeric keyboard. Therefore how can I gain access a numeric keypad within Windows which is equal to that to a numeric keyboard physically on the keyboard ?

    submitted by /u/SonicSkunk
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone else had to deal with this type of thing from Microsoft "Support"?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 06:06 PM PDT

    Oh boy. Let's talk about this support interaction I just had trying to get a copy of Windows 10 activated using a key I've used for years. I'm honestly fairly stunned that something like this happened and I really don't know what other community might be interested. Buckle up kids, it's a long ride.

    TL;DR for the lazy: Microsoft support lady started reinstalling my copy of Windows without advising she was about to do so and ruined a couple days effort to get an admittedly bizarre install of Windows working.

    So, I just built a new rig for home, i9-990k, 32gb of ram, and a 2070, lovely rig and great for gaming and programming. I tossed windows on it first just to get it all running and make sure the hardware was all playing nice together. Got my games and dev tools installed and went about my life.

    I tried out WSL2 and much to my chagrin learned that due to its use of Hyper-V I couldn't run the emulator from the Android SDK to work on my apps without rebooting and going through the hyper-v install/uninstall each time I wanted to switch. That was obviously unacceptable.

    Well, recently on the /r/linuxgaming subreddit I learned about virtio-pci which would let me use my onboard graphics to run a linux host while passing the 2070 into a virtual windows machine. Awesome, Microsoft's hypervisor shennanigans will be defeated by kvm/qemu. My plan was to use linux for programming and day to day use and have windows in the VM running concurrently for gaming. I got it all setup, took me basically all weekend to get everything to gel together nicely. Once I got everything settled I tried to activate Windows 10 Pro using a key I've used on several machines since Windows 10 came out, that key was a Windows 8 Pro key I bought back in college that got upgraded to Windows 10 for free when Microsoft had that promotion going. The activation flow didn't like that key (I suspect because it went from being used on this hardware to inside a virtual machine). No problem, I'll call activation support, I've had to do that before, no big deal.... right?

    Oh my how I was wrong. So after explaining to the rep what my problem was and doing some basic troubleshooting with her she decided to transfer me to Activation Technical support. When the next rep answered she asked for a case number, which I wasn't given, "No problem!" she said, and we went through some more troubleshooting so she could get a handle on my issue. After some more steps she decided it'd be best to remote in. She walked me through the steps to turn on the Windows 10 remote support client (which feels super sketchy btw. It literally feels like going through the script of one of those awful 'Microsoft' tech support scam calls). Once she had remoted in, she did the same steps I had and observed the same error I had. In an effort to collect some info on the machine, she downloaded the wonderful Belarc Advisor tool and ran it on my machine. Now, that's super invasive because it collects all kinds of telemetry about my machine, and it's only free for personal use, so Microsoft is likely now in violation of Belarc's Terms and Conditions. Upon noticing nothing out of the ordinary (besides the make of the computer being QEMU) she took further action.

    Her next step was to go to Bing(lol) and search for the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, odd I thought, but maybe it trips some kind of special activation routine, I have used this key with that tool before. But no, instead she pops open the edge dev tools and has it fake its request to look like it's coming from the Bing crawler bot which causes the page to instead prompt for downloading the Windows 10 iso instead. She proceeds to download this iso, I still thought it was weird, but again, maybe there's a tool in there she needs.

    Nope.

    She mounted the iso and ran setup from it opening the Windows installer. Keep in mind she had been silent or only chiming in with "Please bear with me." "Please wait while this processes." the entire time. So she goes through setup, again I thought it was weird but maybe running Windows setup and doing an in-place upgrade would fix it. Then when it gets to the "Your computer will restart in 15 seconds" phase, she announces that what she has just done will remove all third party software from my machine. To which I replied "Even drivers?" "Yes".

    For those of you reading along that know about running Windows in this setup I've described you're probably thinking what I was thinking "Fuck... all my effort gone." I can't believe that this is standard operating procedure for Microsoft Support. I immediately forced the machine offline and have yet to start it back up for fear of all my work being gone. I am genuinely appalled at this 'support' I was given and, honestly, Destiny 2 and Overwatch were the only games I wanted to run in that VM anyway since everything else I play works really well on linux.

    submitted by /u/chris37879
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a login problem

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    So i decided to reset my pc and followed a quick tutorial:

    I went to Settings/Recovery/Reset this PC - get started. I chose the remove everything option and then the remove files and clean drive option.

    Everything worked well, after some time Windows started to install agaig. Here is the problem: my laptop wasn't charging so in the middle of the install it turned off, when i placed the charger in and turned on, the login screen was there with Other User. I don't know what to do to enter this account. I used a PIN to enter my previous one.

    submitted by /u/akithetsar
    [link] [comments]

    Realtek Audio Manager not opening in latest update?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 03:25 AM PDT

    Realtek Audio Manager is missing from my Computer at all, though the drivers are installed, i tried searching it from the files and luckily i found it yet it didn't do anything at all, it doesn't start up. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it again but it doesn't make any difference, anyone experiencing this?

    Edit: Reformatted Drive C ONLY. Tried reinstalling Realtek Audio Manager, nothing happened, ran RtlUpd64.exe, nothing happened too.

    submitted by /u/Fluvio007
    [link] [comments]

    welp, i just dropped my wired xbox one controller and my restarted

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 06:01 AM PDT

    wired usb, white partially broken xbox one s controller.

    dropped it , but got it before it hit the ground, then suddenly my pc got into like 480p and said ":( your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart"

    wat

    submitted by /u/spincube32
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 Installer stuck on creating partitions

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 03:41 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I've been trying to install Windows 10 on an SSD and the installer get's stuck on creating partitions every time. I checked in diskpart if it created it but only the EFI partition gets created then it stucks.

    Anyone got suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Nokin_Niam
    [link] [comments]

    Changing the global install path (C:\Program Files\)

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 02:49 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I'm using C: exclusively for Windows and have S:\Apps\ as my dedicated place for programs. When installing a new program, I'll have to manually edit the path every single time. Does a central place, like in the registry or so exist, where you can edit the variable for "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" which the installers use?

    submitted by /u/47R3YU
    [link] [comments]

    [HELP] IIS on local pc accessible from outside my LAN. Is this safe?

    Posted: 04 Aug 2019 02:05 AM PDT

    I'm running IIS to allow access to a directory listing on a pc on my LAN, and a passthrough in my router to allow that access externally via web browser. Is this safe?

    submitted by /u/shootdrawwrite
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a setup for CD/DVD?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 11:27 PM PDT

    I want to make a CD consisting of stuff that you need for Windows like MS Office, VLC, WinRAR, Adobe etc. How do I make an executable which allows me to open these app setups easily with one click? Also, the setups will be inside organized folders.

    submitted by /u/NahushShetty
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel