• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, August 12, 2019

    My dog knows when the phone will ring. Tech Support

    My dog knows when the phone will ring. Tech Support


    My dog knows when the phone will ring.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 04:37 PM PDT

    Not my story, this one was from my uncle.

    He works for a telecommunications company, an old one that is seldom seen anymore.

    Back when the phones in your home were owned by the telecom a lady was having an issue where many phone calls were not coming in. The phone would not ring, BUT when the phone did ring the dog would howl first.

    A lineman (technician using modern terms) was sent out to investigate. He arrived and checked the wiring. That looked ok. He pulls out his field phone and dials the house phone. No, ringing... Then the dog howls and the house phone rings.

    He goes around and finds the dog. The dog was chained to the grounding stake. The groundingb stake was no in the ground far enough AND the earth was a bit dry.

    See where this is going?

    The dog would was sometimes getting shocked and would then urinate completing the circuit. This was uncomfortable to the dog and it would howl, BUT the phone would ring.

    He never told me how it got remedied, just what the tech had found.

    .....

    If this is folk lore, I apologize, this was the story as best as I remember being told to me by my uncle back in the mid to late 90's.

    I have personally been subjected to various voltages, line power (120v ac in US), electric fences, and various other errors while troubleshooting live electrical components. Yes, the stuff I could check while it was powered down, I would other stuff needed to be on during testing.

    No, I never did voltage test on a phone line.

    submitted by /u/79Freedomreader
    [link] [comments]

    Storys from Grandma

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 03:38 AM PDT

    First things first: I'm on mobile and English is not my first language.

    Most important: My grandma is not to blame for anything.

    The setting.

    My grandparents are living in the apartment below mine. They grew up in a strongly rural environment and never got used to electronics in any form. With time, they learned how to use a TV remote and a cordless telephone, but they just know, how to do the stuff they need: turning it on, changing channels, calling someone and accepting incoming calls. Nothing more.

    Story one: Rechargeable??

    After a long day at work I entered the staircase of our home. I haven't even yet closed the front door, as my grandma stuck her head out of her apartment.

    GM: Hey ME, my phone is not working.

    Me: what's the problem?

    GM: It does recharge, but turns off, after a few minutes.

    Me: How old are the rechargeable? (let's go with this, for rechargeable battery packs. You'll see why)

    GM: Grandpa changed them two days ago.

    That was the moment my inner alarm bell started ringing. My grandpa had a little business of changing batterys in neighbors and family's watches. And also held a stock of batteries. Non-rechargeable-batteries...

    I took the (slightly to warm) phone off its loading station and opened the back, just to find a pair of batteries.

    I took them out, told my grandma to put the old rechargeables back in, while I order a new pair for her.

    Story two: sticky situation

    I was sitting in the living room of my grandparents, chatting about the day, when suddenly the TV turned off.

    Me: what was that?

    GM: oh. That happens a lot. Sometimes the TV does strange things, or doesn't do anything when pushing buttons on the remote.

    Well, at least one useful info. The remote is having a problem.

    I took it of the coffee table and instantly noticed how sticky it was.

    Me: what happened to your remote?

    GM: Nothing

    I gave her the "we both know that that's a lie" look.

    GM: a glass of juice fell over...

    I took the remote, removed the already corroding batteries and pried open the chassis. The PCB got its part of the juice and also had begun to corrode.

    Me: it is dead, Jim.

    GM: who is Jim?

    Story three: Ghost calls

    After a long day at work I enter the house and got cached by Grandma.

    GM: someone called me.

    Me: Who?

    GM: I don't know. It was at midnight. But my phone sounded different.

    Me: okay, let me get my notebook and I'll have a look.

    Ten minutes later I was sitting at the kitchen table, my notebook in front of me, logging into the isp provided home router. I checked the phone history, but didn't find any calls that night.

    Logged out and closed the imaginary ticket.

    Wouldn't been the first time, she heard ghosts.

    Next day, same scene. My Grandma told me that at midnight her phone was ringing and sounded different. Out of curiosity I offered to take her phone with me, to check who is calling at midnight.

    The moment I held the phone in my hand, I saw the problem. In the left lower corner of the display was a little picture af a little alarm clock.

    Somehow my grandma managed to activate the alarm with its default time of 12 o'clock midnight. I deactivated the alarm and called it a day.

    submitted by /u/AlexisColoun
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel