• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, August 8, 2019

    Linux why does ubuntu sometimes decide that usb stick cant be touched, and only read, seemly randomly.

    Linux why does ubuntu sometimes decide that usb stick cant be touched, and only read, seemly randomly.


    why does ubuntu sometimes decide that usb stick cant be touched, and only read, seemly randomly.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 02:34 AM PDT

    and error message is like cant unmount the drive:

    cant mount the drive.

    witch is it? what the hell does that mean? The drive is mounted, and can unmount it too. why cant the program do it suddenly.

    you are trying to write on it, what does unmounting and mounting have to do with it?

    why do i need to google error messages to have the slightest clue what the problem is?


    why not just start putting straight up link to google, if you want to know what this error means, click here for google.

    submitted by /u/zaphodi
    [link] [comments]

    Keep getting this showing up when booting up into ubuntu, please help

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:02 AM PDT

    Trouble installing openthos. I'm not given the 4 options like all install guide say I'm supposed to, only get the choice to boot from usb

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    Need to install WiFi USB adapter driver, Not able to edit it for new kernel. (Arch Linux)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:50 PM PDT

    I have a MT7612U WiFi USB adapter, and when I need to install the drivers for it due to my download speed being 0.6Mbps, and my upload being 11.5Mbps. I tried installing the driver from their website, unzipping the file, then doing the usual "make" then "make install" when I ran into this: /home/username/Downloads/DPO2/include/cfg80211.h:39:49: error: 'IEEE80211_NUM_BANDS' undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean 'IEEE80211_NUM_ACS'?

    I've tried reseating the USB adapter, rebooting, updating my mirrorlist, sudo pacman -Syu , and lots of other things. Sometimes the WiFi does work also! Although after about 5 hours it stops working again. I do nothing that would make it do this as far as I know.

    I did some research on this error and I found out from this GitHub issue that it was that the driver wasn't made for newer Linux kernels, and that might have to edit some files in the install the driver. And this is where I have no idea what to do. The fix was apparently posted here but I'm not sure what it's saying. Do I add it to a file? Do I create a new file? Do I do neither of those?

    I really need WiFi to use this new PC, and it would be greatly appreciated if I could find out how to install the driver on a newer Linux kernel. Please help!

    submitted by /u/Th0u
    [link] [comments]

    Scientific Keyboard for Linux

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:22 AM PDT

    I'm using Debian 10 and I was wondering if there was a keyboard with just scientific symbols, the alternative I suppose is using a Greek keyboard.

    I'm looking for something that can be directly typed into a text editor (gedit) so as useful as LaTeX is isn't not the solution.

    submitted by /u/S-S-R
    [link] [comments]

    How do i install Nvidia drivers in debian(kde)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:50 AM PDT

    Hi I have GTX 1070 on desktop but don't know how do i install Nvidia graphics drivers debian is freshly installed.

    Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/huskyhunter24
    [link] [comments]

    I'm getting the following error while trying to install g++. Please help

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:46 AM PDT

    Completely new to Linux. Fedora 30 install stuck on ok started gnome display manager

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Trying to install Fedora 30 from live USB and am getting stuck at this part. I rebooted a few times to see if it would continue and now my laptop won't even show the manufacturer logo. It's just on and no fans are running or anything.

    I have an NVIDIA 1060, Samsung sata SSD, UEFI, secure boot turned off. I can't turn off my GPU from bios since there's no option. I'm completely lost and have no idea how to get in to anything or do anything.

    The install made it through once and finished but then it kept freezing after I'd input my password so I started over and am back at square one. Do I need to abandon trying fedora with my current setup?

    submitted by /u/PersonBehindAScreen
    [link] [comments]

    How do I remove TOR browser's app from app list.(Pop!_os)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:53 AM PDT

    I removed the file of TOR browser but I registered the app, now the file is removed but the app's icon is still showing,

    how do I remove the app icon?

    submitted by /u/faizan_20
    [link] [comments]

    Adding public key to authorized keys file - passwordless ssh

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    So, looking for the most definitive way to get public keys onto a servers where ssh is set to pass-wordless. I know you can use ssh-copy-id but that overwrites the current one, correct? If you need to append additional keys, whats the best way? I've found this one liner on Stack Exchange:

    cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub | ssh USER@HOST "mkdir -p ~/.ssh && cat >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"

    Other techniques?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/piagetblix
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Pop! OS onto a 2008 Macbook pro with no hard drive from a 32 GB usb stick

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    I posted about this before, but I have found more info.

    I learned that System 76 doesn't use GRUB.

    I couldn't find any info about their system called 'Systemd-Boot'.

    I tried holding SHIFT and pressing ESC a bunch, but that didn't work.

    The last line says:

     [ 2.207457] fb0: switching from nouveau from EFI GTA 

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/gurrrrrrett
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP! Cant setup printer!

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:39 PM PDT

    On elementaryOS, when I opened the printer menu in the settings to add a printer, the computer recognized my printer in the local printers. I clicked on the printer, which took me to the model selection. My printer is a Ricoh SP 204SN. I tried looking for it under the "ricoh" section, but I couldn't find it, so I just clicked on one of the selections that had "recommended" next to them. After that, I clicked "print test page" to test it out, and nothing happened. I tried printing a document in libreoffice, and nothing happened either. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I think it probably has to do with the model name of the printer not being listed. PLEASE provide advice if you have any. If I cant make the printer work, I'm going to have to switch back to windows, which I really don't want to do.

    submitted by /u/aaa4ee
    [link] [comments]

    Transmission on CentOS 7 seems to have really really slow download speeds.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    So... straight of the bat....I'm a total Linux newbie...I've just started tinkering with the system... Started setting up with the torrent client, setting up the mail server... learning 'yum', the directories, and I just have the basic copy paste knowledge of the system from the internet....as I'm not following any specific course or guide...to Linux.

    I'm getting maximum of like 200kbps on a single torrent that has plenty of seeders. I've checked out if there is any limits set inside transmission and I've explored the ask for more peers option( I have no idea what it does ). I've searched on the internet and I've added appropriate exceptions in port numbers to the firewall. I mean I don't know what the issue...is. the speed test clocks upto 90MBps. And I'm getting atleast 5MBps in torrents on a windows OS.

    Also can you guys suggest good courses( Udemy or edx or free YouTube stuff) that I should follow to get my shit together? I feel like I have no basic knowledge when it comes to Linux and I'm just throwing stuff...at the system from the internet...and see if it works. I need to learn Linux and python ASAP to begin my long and arduous journey into Linux server administration and network automation. Thanks so much in advance. Please forgive me if I have missed out any obvious things that I've forgotten to check..

    Thanks..!

    Edit : I forgot to mention I've installed CentOS on an i3 4gb machine. I'm not using any VM's or anything. No dual boot or anything. Just only CentOS in the system.

    submitted by /u/ArkVader
    [link] [comments]

    pop!_os or manjaro?why?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 12:16 PM PDT

    Change display scaling to less than 1 in Manjaro with Deepin DE

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 04:37 PM PDT

    Pretty self-explanatory. The lowest display scale setting in Deepin is 1, and I find that to be a bit too big for my monitor setup. I'm wondering if there's a way to lower it down to 0.75 or maybe even 0.5, even though the slider doesn't go past 1. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kelvinh_27
    [link] [comments]

    Pop OS can't boot up

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 11:42 AM PDT

    so recently i changed from gdm3 to sddm. i followed a tutorial from chris titus tech channel on youtube but apparently mine didn't boot up as it should be after ive done the installation. my progress so far has been @ 2:20 https://youtu.be/Yv_kQf37vU0

    submitted by /u/DexTheScrub
    [link] [comments]

    After installing manjaro, and configure grub using chroot on /dev/sda, I get this during restart. I don't know what to choose for the boot priority order. There is no "GRUB" choice. Please help, a total noob here.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:39 AM PDT

    Quick question about set_real_ip_from and resolver NGINX

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    I was following this tutorial (https://www.c-rieger.de/nextcloud-installation-guide-ubuntu-18-04/ ) and I wasnt sure what values should be since im hosting it from home. should it be my house ip address or should it be the ip address it gets from the router? Once I get to the install and configure nginx part, scroll down a little bit until you see the big block ofd code and the two in red are the ones in question. those two values I am unsure what I should put. thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/Hotcarlinyoface
    [link] [comments]

    Can any program be a desktop?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    If I just had my system start firefox on start up and not let it be closed is that essentially the desktop?

    Or will there be a blank desktop underneath (no desktop manager to set wallpaper/etc for example)

    submitted by /u/TurbulentCourage
    [link] [comments]

    Transfer uefi keys for OS (?) to new laptop

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:54 AM PDT

    I fear this might be a case of xy problem, so i will detail everything. I had a thinkpad x240 dual-booted with win_8.1_pro and opensuse_42.3. Both the OS are installed into the same SSD, and when i switch on the PC i am presented with a opensuse grub menu from which i can boot into either OS.

    I recently bought a thinkpad x250 and i want to just transfer the ssd into the new laptop. At the first when i did this, i was not presented with opensuse grub menu but the system directly booted into the installed win_8.1_pro. However , if on startup if i go to bios and explicitly choose the boot device to be the ssd, then it boots to the aforementioned opensuse grub menu. I dont want to do this everytime i reboot and want to be presented the opensuse grub menu staright after power on.

    submitted by /u/sareewala
    [link] [comments]

    Help to use ssd RAID for os

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    I have linux in my laptop but i would like to try running some games on linux but my laptop is not powerful enough.

    Target computer is a desktop currently running Windows from NVME ssd and ubuntu 18.04 or 19.04 is target os. I plan to leave Windows untouched.

    I have an idea to use 2 120gb ssd in RAID for the operating system. I have these drives available and would like to put them to use.

    My knowledge is quite limited when it comes to RAID and everything that comes with it.

    Do you know any good guides for creating RAID and is the installation process any different for linux.

    I happily provide further specs if you think you can help me. I just dont know what to tell yet.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Keisari_kumkvatti
    [link] [comments]

    Steam Proton + Optirun

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:16 AM PDT

    How can I tell Steam Proton to use Optirun?

    I get poor framerate when I shouldn't be, so I'm guessing it's running off of my Intel instead of my Nvidia card.

    Stuff like Terraria is mostly fine, but skyrim gives 10fps on ultra. (not sse)

    I have a Intel 4th gen core processor + GeForce GTX 765M bumblebee setup.

    submitted by /u/VirusRenamon
    [link] [comments]

    Vs code retry as admin

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    I am very new to linux, so right now i am trying to learn react, but every time i saved a file in vscode error message pops up like 'Retry as sudo'. How to fix this, i read one answer on stackoverflow that provide Vs code as root user again written also it's not recommended. Don't know what to do

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/imsikun
    [link] [comments]

    Having issues with MTP (Android phone connected to laptop via usb)

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:49 AM PDT

    So when I connect my nice phone to my pesky laptop, I can see that it gets "mounted".

    If I double click on an image in the phone directory in the laptop, it does open. But copying to my laptop gives me trouble. I just realised that I can't copy any file from phone to computer. But it used to!

    I have an Ubuntu on which I installed lubuntu-desktop.

    Many thanks, my linux friends.

    submitted by /u/fluidmechanicsdoubts
    [link] [comments]

    How to always run an specific command after logging into my user.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 01:16 AM PDT

    Is there a way to open a terminal and run an specific command every time I login into my user (Automatically)

    Let say I want the terminal to run

    sudo atp-get updates

    Every time I successfully logged into my user.

    I use Debian & KDE.

    submitted by /u/jpoeta2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel