• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, August 10, 2019

    Linux Users that switched from Windows to Linux - what are your reasons?

    Linux Users that switched from Windows to Linux - what are your reasons?


    Users that switched from Windows to Linux - what are your reasons?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 02:58 AM PDT

    Junior Dev here. I have been using Windows all my life both as regular user (entertainment and so on) and developer (I used Java, .NET Core, C++ for Embedded and Native Android Development, I also used tools for the complete game development toolchain both as hobbyist and professional). I used ubuntu (windows subsystem) once in a project where the redis database was involved but I did not do a lot with it.

    I really don't know anything about linux and at some points thought it would be worth giving it a shot. What's been holding me back ever since was that I really did not see a rational need for me to do so - so I just didn't.

    My Question is - people that have switched from windows to any linux system/type/distro (what's it even called?) - what are the reasons and advantages in doing so (maybe aside the fact that it's free)? Also, are there some disadvantages to it?

    When is it appropiately to use linux or where are its strong points compared to windows?

    I'm really hoping to get some insightful answers (and please don't bash). Thanks in advance.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/BoredInventor
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to install programs offline?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 02:03 PM PDT

    I have to install stuff on another computer that has a very slow connection.

    So I want to use my fast connection to download everything and then install offline using a flash drive.

    Is this possible?

    my pc: windows 10

    the pc I have to install stuff: ubuntu 18.04

    submitted by /u/BetterCallMyJungler
    [link] [comments]

    Touchpad doesn't work but gets recognized by xinput, can't find how to fix the problem

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I'm trying to fix my touchpad. If I type cat /proc/bus/input/devices it returns:

    I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0012 Version=0000
    N: Name="FocalTechPS/2 FocalTech Touchpad"
    P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
    S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input11
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse0 event4 B: PROP=5
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=e520 10000 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=260800010000003

    Xinput recognizes the device as a FocaltechPS/2 FocalTech Touchpad so that's something. I can't really find Focaltech-drivers, except for one repository which has a dead end because there are no drivers anymore in the repository (old forum post). Does anyone know how I can fix this? I've got a touchscreen so it's not the biggest of problemsbut still it's pretty annoying.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/BlueLightsInYourEyes
    [link] [comments]

    Alright, i have a new Linux machine, need projects to teach me the ways of the penguin.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    Running linuxmint 19.2 cinnamon. Asus 2in1 with touchscreen and fold back design. Model is Q302L 8gb ram and i5-4210u cpu.

    I can't change the screen orientation, I can't disable the keyboard when its folded back, and i cant disable the TouchPad when im typing. I need other projects but these are my priority.

    Can yall help me out?

    submitted by /u/Biohazardousmaterial
    [link] [comments]

    Tmate - Share Your Terminal Instantly To Anyone From Anywhere

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 12:58 AM PDT

    Really quick question about root

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:44 AM PDT

    After literally a day of errors after errors I finally installed linux. So my question is: should you use the root user or make a new user and use that one?

    submitted by /u/theaper56
    [link] [comments]

    How do i delete windows boot manager that was in dual boot alongside Ubuntu?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:41 AM PDT

    I formatted the partition on which windows was installed but i still see windows boot manager option in BIOS.

    How do i completely remove every element of Windows?

    submitted by /u/scaryAstronaut
    [link] [comments]

    I'm going to take the plunge and install Linux, but I want to make sure that I don't lose my Windows license

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    So I have a new laptop shipped and on the way to me and I've decided to go for it and make the switch to Linux!

    I plan to ditch Windows and install Linux straight out of the box, but I don't want to lose the Windows license in case I ever want to install Windows on it in the future.

    I did a bit of research and it sounds like these days you either get an old-school product key, or you get a "digital license" tied to your Microsoft account.

    If that's the case, how can I preserve my license for potential future use? Is it just a matter of signing into my Microsoft account on the laptop before I wipe it and install Linux?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/AmbitiousApathy
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from Windows 10 to Arch Linux

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:06 PM PDT

    I been sitting here trying to go through this installation (from USB), but it's very difficult not having online resources, is there a way to set it up while still being able to browse the internet?

    I am stuck trying to setup internet... lol, after running "ip link" it shows that my interface is up, but no carrier. (using wireless adapter)

    When trying to setup dhcpcd, it keep saying "sending commands to master dhcpcd process" and that's it. Am I missing a step?

    Do I need a static ip address, because I skipped that part. I guess I need to learn about networking in linux before I continue?

    submitted by /u/Entellex
    [link] [comments]

    terminal help with commands

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 12:26 PM PDT

    hey folks, hope this kind of post is allowed, looking to see if you can help me with some homework questions using terminal?

    I need to use a command that will randomly generate a file of any size and add it to a file i made in a new directory NewDir/NewFile, I then need to use a command to obtain the network config and append it to NewFile and display the content of it, Then i need to translate all lower case letters into caps and the result as NewFileCaps, then to compress the NewFileCapsinto a file named NewFileComp and make it executable for all users then finally display all files in NewDir with the letter "N"

    I know that this is a lot to ask but im pulling my hair out trying to find some answers, what I have googled is just confusing me to no ends.

    Thanks folks :)

    submitted by /u/ImNotSatisfied1
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with booting from a USB

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 12:05 PM PDT

    So I thought it would be cool to have a bootable Linux USB (I already use Linux, but I wanted the USB for portability). I followed [this](https://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-linux-mint-persistent-live-usb/) tutorial, and I hit "install linux mint" and it said that it didn't detect an operating system already installed so now my computer only boots from that usb. I'm running an Acer Aspire laptop. Is there anyway to recover? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/RadiantWhole
    [link] [comments]

    I think I'm having problems with drivers on linux

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    Hello everyone.

    A couple months ago I changed from Windows 10 to Manjaro GNOME. The thing is that on windows I never had problems like the following ones:

    -Really noticeable aliasing on videos, and pretty much everywhere else.

    -Games that are available on both OS crash after a couple minutes executing (Minecraft for instance).

    -Compilations sometimes are way quicker than on Windows, but some other times my entire system freezes (Specially while executing on background).

    -Multiple browser windows with multiple tabs lag a lot, on Windows never happened.

    So now, my system is Intel Only, and I have spotted "amd drivers" in the package manager. That makes me think that at some point I installed the wrong drivers (maybe during first installation when I choose "freedrivers" or something like that) and so...

    How can I change them?

    Which drivers are the most recommended to use?

    Or if it's not actually a problem with drivers what could it be?

    submitted by /u/AlbertoSC
    [link] [comments]

    How to download this website with its assets via terminal?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 11:19 AM PDT

    Hey folks!

    A good friend of mine will close her website www.valofaces.de

    So I'd like to make a mirror of it to archive it.

    I've found this command in the internet:

    wget \ --recursive \ # Download the whole site. --page-requisites \ # Get all assets/elements (CSS/JS/images). --adjust-extension \ # Save files with .html on the end. --span-hosts \ # Include necessary assets from offsite as well. --convert-links \ # Update links to still work in the static version. --restrict-file-names=windows \ # Modify filenames to work in Windows as well. --domains yoursite.com \ # Do not follow links outside this domain. --no-parent \ # Don't follow links outside the directory you pass in. yoursite.com/whatever/path # The URL to download 

    Of course I substituted "yoursite" with the mentioned one. The problem is, that it is mirrored, but the images are all not rendered.

    It seems like everything in the .cm4all folder is being downloaded as an HTML - even though it is an image.

    Is there some way how I can get a local mirror of a website, including it's assets?

    submitted by /u/Trollw00t
    [link] [comments]

    Using iPhone USB hotspot on Debian 9

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 05:38 AM PDT

    How can I set up iPhone USB tethering on Debian 9? I have second PC where I can access internet

    submitted by /u/My-Uncle-Touched-Me
    [link] [comments]

    Can't boot linux mint from pen drive

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    recently I tried to boot linux mint via usb stick that I burned myself . The thing is when I watch the videos everything seems to be working fine but when I do it ,it just doesn't boot it. I've tried with 2 different usb but they both show black screen and a " - " symbol on the top left corner that isn't blinking ( all the solutions in the internet was about blinking cursor ) , this happens exactly after automatic booting process and after the linux mint logo appears on screen. I tried burning with uNetbootin , rufus , linux live usb. Nothing seems the be working. Any ideas what might be wrong ?

    Thanks if you've read this far !

    submitted by /u/ZetaParabola
    [link] [comments]

    Can I create a partition for both Windows & Linux to access?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:19 AM PDT

    I've been using Dual Boot for several years now, but each OS only sees its own partition. I can't see files from either OS while using the other. Could I make another partition just for files - music mainly - that either OS can access? Just now I have to save to an external storage device and switch OS to do it. It would be great to have docs and music in the hdd that can be worked on no matter what OS I'm on.

    submitted by /u/BGDDisco
    [link] [comments]

    Search Like Box On Bottom Right Corner

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    I'm on Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

    When I'm on my desktop, and start typing, at times a small text box (search box like) appears at the bottom right corner of the screen. I can type into it but nothing actually happens?

    Is there a way to diable this? or Is it a bug?

    submitted by /u/yogesh_calm
    [link] [comments]

    JDK8 for Netbeans installation

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:52 AM PDT

    I try to install JDK8 for NetBeans on Linux. The Problem is that when i try to download the ' jdk-8u202-linux-x64.tar.gz ' file (oracle.com) i have to sign up with my full address + moblile phone number. Is there another way to get JDK8 + NetBeans running on Linux? (First time installing it on a Linux system)

    submitted by /u/Naturbelassen
    [link] [comments]

    Problems starting i3

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 02:33 AM PDT

    I use arch I have just finished installing it and installed i3-gaps and i3lock (also tried i3-wm) and xorg-xinit done everything as the wiki says, in the xorg log file there is nothing about i3 and everything seems good.

    My .xinitrc file looks like this:

    #!/bin/sh # # ~/.xinitrc # # Executed by startx (run your window manager from here) if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f" done unset f fi exec i3 

    i also tried the default one and changed it to make it run i3 but nothing changed.

    what is exactly happening when i run startx is that it writes the first few lines (where he says what OS it is and where he logs things etc.) and then stops and nothing happens i tried waiting but nothing happened the only way that i found to close it is to press the power button of my laptop.

    nvidia drivers are installed if that would help.

    pc: acer nitro 5

    if you need additional information feel free to ask i'll answer as soon as possible.

    submitted by /u/MadOctopus_
    [link] [comments]

    I'm considering dual booting Mint on my Windows 10 PC. How large should the partition be?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:27 AM PDT

    Dual booting with Windows 10

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:25 AM PDT

    I'm looking to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux with each installed on a separate drive. All of the tutorials I've found recommend disconnecting the Win 10 drive prior to installing Linux. My Win 10 install is on an nvme M2 drive. Can I disconnect the drive in the BIOS, do I physically need to remove the drive, or is disconnecting the Windows drive just a precaution that can be avoided if your careful about selecting which drive your installing Linux on

    submitted by /u/Chaseydog
    [link] [comments]

    What is the purpose of Linux servers? Where and how are they used?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 06:58 AM PDT

    What does this line mean?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 10:12 PM PDT

    Run

    ./configure && make && make install 

    to build and install intel-undervolt to your system.

    This is from https://github.com/kitsunyan/intel-undervolt. If there is something I have to do please explain step by step. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Pallor_
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be a bad idea to start with Arch?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 06:56 AM PDT

    I wouldn't describe myself as a total Linux noob and I understand the basics of the terminal through WSL, Cygwin and Raspbian Lite through my degree at university.

    However I want to try and move over to a Linux distro some some sort because it seems better suited to a computer science degree when it comes to compiling things like C/C++. I'm mainly leaning towards Arch because I want to have a lightweight OS where I have control over what is installed. Something which I've heard is not the case on Ubuntu or something similar.

    Would I be making a bad decision to pick Arch with my level of experience and if so, is there a distro that I can use that will be a sort of happy medium? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/InsertLongUsername
    [link] [comments]

    /mnt BlissOS.iso “How to boot from terminal to install iso file?”

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 06:42 AM PDT

    sudo su

    ls

    cd Downloads/

    ls

    cd /mnt

    ls

    ls -la

    cd /home/username/Downloads/

    ls

    mount -t iso9660 Bliss.iso /mnt

    cd /mnt

    ls

    After successfully mounting my iso file, how do I proceed to boot UEFI while I am on terminal interface to install mounted iso file?

    Extra: Stackoverflow needs to reevaluate their contend managers. They seem to delete questions that clearly need help. Their arrogance let them to deleting questions and downvoting. Such attitude is uncouth, especially when it is a site that attracts jobs. If I could vote, I would vote for stackoverflow contend managers responsible to be fired and replaced by more competent ones.

    submitted by /u/wingstonedayz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel