• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, August 12, 2019

    Linux Screen goes crazy when I shut the laptop

    Linux Screen goes crazy when I shut the laptop


    Screen goes crazy when I shut the laptop

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 07:49 AM PDT

    How do I share files between my operating systems?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 03:39 AM PDT

    I'm planning to install Windows 7 alongside Linux Mint to play games and browse the internet on Mint. But I do have to share some large files between them. How do I do that without any external drives?

    submitted by /u/reehahs455
    [link] [comments]

    Total (but curious) Noob, looking to switch/add Linux to my life. Send help.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:15 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    Total noob here curious to switch over to Linux, I currently use Windows 10 as my main os. I'm planning to add a Linux platform OS as my main OS and keep my windows as my backup for my graphic design programs and some games.

    I know nothing about coding and scripting, but I have built my own machine from scratch and somehow (and luckily) survived troubleshooting driver issues to correcting problems that arose from flashing my BIOS and that's the entirety of my tech knowledge.

    What kind of OS is viable for me?

    My Factors:

    -I plan to learn network security eventually and am going to start learning Ruby because it is job related and will give me a promotion at work when I learn it.

    -Has a friendly enough UI but will force me to learn command lines to use and familiarize.

    -Easy enough for a moron like me to fix if I do something wrong.

    Pls, send help. Love you guys.

    submitted by /u/Nanashi_420
    [link] [comments]

    Delete rars after unrar

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:04 PM PDT

    So I have the below script setup, problem is it leaves behind the original rar files, so next time it runs, it will try and unpack them again. Any idea how to remove the parent folder and its contents that the rar would be in after extraction?

    !/bin/bash

    unrar e -r -o- /mnt/user/FTP\ Downloads/Sync/*.rar /mnt/user/FTP\ Downloads/Sync/Move

    mv /mnt/user/FTP\ Downloads/Sync/Move/* /mnt/user/FTP\ Downloads/Output/

    submitted by /u/MattJ016
    [link] [comments]

    how do you like to backup Linux?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:18 PM PDT

    I like to experiment a little on my main OS sometimes and recently had to completely reinstall Pop!_OS. I had data backed up on one drive and Dropbox, but I still had to re-install and configure everything. That can be a Pain and is time consuming. I had a external 1tb hard drive like 5 years ago that I can no longer find, so I guess I'll have to go get another one. I'd like to backup the whole OS, kinda like snapshots on a VM?

    Thinking Clonezilla? How do you guys keep backups?

    submitted by /u/ArAMITAS
    [link] [comments]

    Installed Ubuntu after a decade, can't install software/apps?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:27 AM PDT

    I should not that I have Ubuntu installed on as a VM. All seems to be working as intended but I can't install any apps. Tried Chromium, tried Android Studio, a bunch of others and I get the same message each time:

    "Unable to install ___ too early for operation, device not yet seeded or device model not acknowledged"

    What do I do here? I am still fairly new to Linux and Google hasn't proven helpful :(

    submitted by /u/pleashalpme
    [link] [comments]

    What's a USB bootable live distro that's good for read-only mounting NTFS partitions for recovering files and doesn't care if the volume is dirty or hibernated?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    I frequently have to deal with failing NTFS drives and have to try to save people documents and pictures and stuff.

    Half the time the drives are on death's door and I need to just boot from a live distro and grab a few critical files but Ubuntu and Mint are like too respectful of the filesystem to allow them to be mounted when they weren't shut down cleanly from windows.

    Lately I've been reduced to using the command prompt/notepad trick from the Windows 10 Installer but would much rather use linux if anyone can suggest a distro.

    submitted by /u/HumanTarget
    [link] [comments]

    Bspwm - arch wiki scratchpad help

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:03 PM PDT

    Arch wiki article on bspwm have a section on how to achieve a scratchpad similar to i3 scratchpad. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bspwm#Scratchpad

    I've followed it and adapted it to Alacritty terminal like so:

    ``` @~/.config/bspwm/bspwmrc

    ... bspc rule -a scratchpad sticky=on state=floating hidden=on alacritty --class scratchpad -e ~/.bin/scratch & ```

    ``` @~/.config/sxhkd/sxhkdrc

    ... super + d id=$(cat /tmp/scratchid);\ bspc node $id --flag hidden;bspc node -f $id ... ```

    ``` @~/.bin/scratch

    !/usr/bin/sh

    bspc query -N -n .floating > /tmp/scratchid $SHELL ```

    • I've checked that alacritty spawns with specified class name "alacritty", and it does.
    • Pressing super + d will hide any window, not just a instance of alacritty.
    • No file "scratchid" is written to /tmp/ when running ~/.bin/scratch. Probably the issue right?
    • $SHELL is set to /bin/bash - no surprises there

    Ideas?

    submitted by /u/Upphovsmannen
    [link] [comments]

    TeamSpeak + flatpak = problem with appdata

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:27 AM PDT

    Coming from windows I've managed to instal TeamSpeak via flatpak

    Where do I paste my %appdata% from windows to merge over bookmarks/ friends list / identity

    Running MX linux and Mint 18

    submitted by /u/Willstar44
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop not booting after steam big picture mode restar

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:57 PM PDT

    Disk space maxed out. Which directories has recently increased their size? Hunting down the cause.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    Dear Linux Users,

    A few Gb of free diskspace previously left on one of my linux machines is gone. It happened abruptly in some 30 mins, but I did not notice it. How can I see which directories have recently grew? (Ideally in a nice way just like ncdu shows it) Looking for the most recently modified/newly created files which had taken the diskspace.

    I have tried:

    sudo ncdu -x / 

    This command shows the current state of the matters and overall disk usage of each directory.

    Also tried to see processes writing to disk:

    sudo iotop 

    I think it is too late to use it since the disk is already taken, right?

    For the future, I imagine taking some kind of snapshot of the diskspace used at time A, and then taking another in time B. Then, the sizes of directories in snapshot A could be subtracted from the corresponding sizes at snapshot B, right?

    There is probably some good tool doing all of this which could hunt down what caused the problem. I would appreciate your help in this matter.

    Regards, Jakub

    submitted by /u/jakub37
    [link] [comments]

    Awesome read about handy bash trcks

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    This resource is a real thriller and worth sharing, it surprised me how quick yet extensive it is, especially the '$_', 'apropos' and '!!' commands.

    The comment section is also very handy, people share useful tricks about 'history', brace expansions and other neat tricks.

    The one thing I do not understand and would appreciate someone helping me understand is the use of the comma in the following command:

    echo cp /some/path/to/file.txt{,.bak}

    While the bottom line is clear, the syntax looks ambiguous and I'd be happy to understand how the shell interprets this command.

    submitted by /u/orrpel
    [link] [comments]

    How do i find the correct values for my zoom in/zoom out keys for dconf-configure so i can map them to switch workspaces?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:01 PM PDT

    Showkey has identified the keys as 418 and 419, but my google fu has failed me on figuring out what values to give dconf-configure.

    For further clarification these are for the "Aero Flip" keys on a logitech wave keyboard.

    https://i.redd.it/itussjxhf2g31.png

    submitted by /u/eyezee
    [link] [comments]

    what does that mean? I am in Debian 10 thar appears every time I turn on the laptop.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 11:55 AM PDT

    DWM

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    I've installed DWM on Kubuntu. Everything work as I expected except internet connection. Any solutions ?

    submitted by /u/_7ristan
    [link] [comments]

    physical volume for encryption

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 11:24 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I am trying to dual boot Kubuntu with Win10 and I am following this [guide](https://www.dionysopoulos.me/kubuntu-on-surface-book/) In the prepare the disk encryption part, it says " In the rest of the free space create a new partition of type "physical volume for encryption". But I dont have that option. should i choose "lvm2 pv" or something else?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/darkstar696
    [link] [comments]

    In your experience, how reliable is Linux' implementation of NTFS partitions?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 07:34 AM PDT

    Just out of curiosity I want to know what's your overall experience with using NTFS partitions under Linux, in particular with regards of how often you experienced data loss or corruption when saving big amounts of data to NTFS partitions (example: new files cause older files to be corrupted, etc)
    I need you to provide one crucial info though, in the first line of your post: The NTFS partition you use was created on Windows, or was created and formatted within Linux itself?

    submitted by /u/FeelingShred
    [link] [comments]

    Pi-hole & Squid cache don't get along (port 53 DNS issue)

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I'm running a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with both Pi-Hole DNS Server and Squid Proxy Cache due to slow ADSL at my location. Both programs had no issue with another in the past but after a recent update something seems to have changed.

    Pi-Hole cannot access port 53, which it needs for its 'FTL' api. After some back-and-forth messaging with Pi-Hole support it seems Squid's got an element that needs port 53. What can I do to make both Pi-hole and Squid play nice with eachother on the same machine? Can I change a setting within Squid that'll make it share port 53?

    submitted by /u/0570
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a task manager with resource graphs on par with Windows 10?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    The most comprehensive task manager/system monitor I've seen is the Gnome System Monitor, but that is missing GPU information. Most other ones seem to miss network and HDD/SSD activity as well, or don't show individual CPU cores which leaves me wondering what exactly the CPU load entails.

    submitted by /u/NekoMadeOfWaifus
    [link] [comments]

    Install Ubuntu in Healthy Primary Partition

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:05 AM PDT

    Hello everyone. I created a partition in my windows 8 laptop with the intention of installing Ubuntu and have both OS. Yesterday I installed Windows 10 as w8 was giving me problems.

    The thing is, the partition that I created was unallocated but after installing w10 it appears as a Healthy Primary Partition. Can I still install Ubuntu in it or should I make any change?

    Here's a screenshot of the partitions in my pc.

    Edit: spelling.

    submitted by /u/necrxfagivs
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi isn't working on fresh install of bunsenlabs

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:00 AM PDT

    Wifi was working in the install process but when i try to connect it tries to reconnect but fails, i tried deleting the wifi profile then i entered the password again but that didn't work, maybe i have to install a different wifi utility? also i had a Lubuntu install before this so the wifi adapter isn't the problem.

    What do?

    submitted by /u/Utaha_Senpai
    [link] [comments]

    Problem when installing Minecraft

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 09:40 AM PDT

    Hello.

    I have problems when trying to install Minecraft on my Debian 10 system. When doing dpkg -i Minecraft.deb I get errors saying I should get either oracle-java8-installer or openjdk-8-jre but I can't find either of them anywhere to install.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/Toiwing
    [link] [comments]

    Was Doing the wine dependencies got this error? can some one help me I have a Pop Os

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 05:17 AM PDT

    sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging wine-staging wine-staging-i386

    Reading package lists... Done

    Building dependency tree

    Reading state information... Done

    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

    or been moved out of Incoming.

    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

    The following packages have unmet dependencies:

    wine-staging : Depends: wine-staging-amd64 (= 4.13~disco) but it is not going to be installed

    wine-staging-i386:i386 : Depends: libfaudio0:i386 (>= 19.06.07) but it is not installable

    Recommends: libgtk-3-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed

    Recommends: libsane:i386 but it is not going to be installed or

    libsane1:i386

    Recommends: libva-drm2:i386 but it is not going to be installed or

    libva-drm1:i386 but it is not installable

    Recommends: libva-x11-2:i386 but it is not going to be installed or

    libva-x11-1:i386 but it is not installable

    Recommends: libva2:i386 but it is not going to be installed or

    libva1:i386 but it is not installable

    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

    submitted by /u/HappySlime
    [link] [comments]

    print two file side by side but align using a keyword?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 08:58 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm printing two files side by side and I would like to ask if I can align this using a specific keyword?

    Currently using this command to print "pr -m -t -w 150 file1 file2" and here the current output:

    file1 file2 show 1 show 1 content xyz content xyz content xyz show 2 show 2 content xyz content xyz content xyz 

    Here's the target output:

    file1 file2 show 1 show 1 content xyz content xyz content xyz show 2 show 2 content xyz content xyz content xyz 

    Align based on show keyword.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/1searching
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel