• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, August 12, 2019

    Laptops I found this older razer blade for $700aud, do you think it's worth it? For a portable music production / gaming rig.

    Laptops I found this older razer blade for $700aud, do you think it's worth it? For a portable music production / gaming rig.


    I found this older razer blade for $700aud, do you think it's worth it? For a portable music production / gaming rig.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 04:22 AM PDT

    First Lenovo Ideapad S540 review - Less than 1000€, good gaming perfs, premium looks, 12h battery

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:25 PM PDT

    The first review for the Ideapad S540, which is a laptop that i'm monitoring closely, just dropped on a Netherlands website.

    Here's a quick translation i made using DeepL, TL;DR, it's a very good machine.

    Pros :

    • sleek premium design

    • great value for money

    • solid gaming performance

    • insane battery life

    Cons :

    • 4 GB of soldered RAM on all models. Unfortunately limits upgrade potential to a total of 20GB if you replace the second 4GB stick with a 16GB.

    Specs

    Here are the specs for the reviewed unit. Keep it mind that this is the cheapest configuration, at €799. It can be upgraded with up to 12GB RAM, a Core i7, and a 1TB SSD.

    Screen : 15.6" FullHD

    CPU : Intel Core i5-8265U

    GPU : Intel UHD 620 // Nvidia GTX 1650 Max-Q

    RAM : 4GB DDR4 soldered + 4GB DDR4

    Storage : 256 GB SSD

    Build Quality : fully made of aluminum, sturdy and premium-looking. Weights around 1.9 kg. Good touchpad and keyboard, there's a fingerprint sensor and a webcam shutter.

    Screen : 1080p, good quality, very good colors, average brightness (not doing too great outdoors).

    Performance : Here are the CPU benchmarks and gaming benchmarks. Performance is generally around the level of the MSI PS63 modern or the Dell XPS15. In game the difference with a "normal" GTX1650 is negligible. Reaches 45 FPS in Rise of the Tomb Raider on Ultra Settings, 70 FPS on medium.

    Battery Life : 70wh battery. Battery tests show results of 12.5 hours of battery life in a web browsing test, and 3.5 hours in the PCMark 8 benchmark (emulates video editing or light gaming).

    Conclusion : this laptop looks like an amazing product for uni students, interns or young professionals that want a laptop that can be used both in a professional environment and a solid gaming machine if you're willing to either play most recent games below 60 FPS or crank the settings down to high or medium.

    The only drawback i see is the soldered RAM, but is having more than 20GB so important when looking at the rest of the specs ? 256gb of storage is pretty low on the entry model, so i'd rather advise looking at the 512gb and 1tb units.

    Now lenovo, get a move on and release this thing in all countries before the end of summer, pretty please ?

    submitted by /u/McManus26
    [link] [comments]

    How do I remove this cable? Trying to remove the battery

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:39 PM PDT

    A laptop for BASIC gaming?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:29 PM PDT

    My PC is about fifteen years old, and still chugging along. I'm thinking of getting a cheap laptop that will allow me to play some co-op games with my son -- nothing fancy, but stuff like Portal, Minecraft, or one of the older Civ games. To that end, I am looking at the Acer Aspire E 15: it's cheap enough for my budget ($400 or less), and it should be able to handle the little that I am asking from it.

    Thing is, it's been years since I bought a computer. And I am painfully aware of my ignorance. Should I get the Aspire E 15, what can I/should I purchase along with it to get the most from it? How difficult is it to add memory to a laptop?

    And I'm seeing that I can go either this route: Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6" Full HD, 8th Gen Intel Core i3-8130U, 6GB RAM Memory, 1TB HDD, 8X DVD, E5-576-392H

    ...or this one: Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6" Full HD and WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive

    (Both from Amazon)

    The latter is more expensive, but seems like it's got more oomph to it. What would people recommend?

    (I appreciate your patience -- I am feeling very old right now, and little lost. A lot has changed over the past decade and a half, and even then I was no expert.)

    submitted by /u/bookfellow
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a gaming laptop for my sister

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    Hello! I know next to nothing about laptops, as I exclusively use desktops. For my sister's birthday, she wanted a gaming laptop and I was looking for suggestions on which one to get. It doesn't have to be super powerful. CRITERIA: Most intensive game she would be playing is League of Legends, and there is a $500 budget. She also plays Terraria and Don't Starve together. If anyone could suggest some models that would work I would be extremely grateful. Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/ceciliaAF
    [link] [comments]

    can i upgrade my laptop graphics ram?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:38 AM PDT

    well, near my gpu die was 2 unfilled 170 pin FCBGA markings, which i presume, can hold 2 additonal GDDR5 modules. i could try fill those up with a heat gun, and i could buy the same GDDR5 chips.

    has anyone tried it? did it worked? is there a reason why the manufacturer didnt fill those 2 graphics ram slots?

    submitted by /u/set_the_top_up
    [link] [comments]

    Dell XPS 15 Review

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    I have had my XPS 15 (2017 model) for about a year now, so I figure it's high time I share my thoughts on it fully.

    Specs: I7-8750H | 16gb | 512gb SSD | GTX 1050Ti 4gb | 4K Touch Monitor

    The machine is sleek. The aluminum on the chassis makes it feel rigid, but the plastic interior makes it seem a little friendlier on the outside. It's hard to beat the infinity edge display, and with 4K touch, it's hard to not love it. The biggest problem with the display is its ability to collect fingerprints, but part of my noticing that is because I work in a naturally lit room, so they're very apparent to me.

    The keyboard is phenomenal when it comes to productivity, and my typing experience while writing papers and drafting documents was great. Gaming, however, is a whole different thing. The GPU would lead you to believe that it would be great for gaming, but the truth is that for me the wrist rest on the laptop just made my arm hurt after more than about 10 minutes, and by 30 minutes it isn't worth it to game anymore. With gaming, I actually found it a better experience to just use a crappy wired keyboard instead.

    The trackpad is about what should be expected. Not much more to say there.

    The IO is unbeatable. 2 USB type A, and thunderbolt 3 USB C means that anything you need, you're covered for. Full sized HDMI came in handy more than once, and it meant that I hardly ever had to carry around an adapter, unless there was a very specific purpose for it.

    The internals are nearly impossible to beat in a machine like this. 16 gigs of ram is more than I think I ever needed, and the 8th gen I7 can do anything you need it to and more. With the GPU, this laptop actually goes head to head with my desktop. The biggest bottleneck for me was almost always the internet of where I am, and not the internal specs. Games run just as fast as they should on a laptop like this, although usually I turned down the resolution a bit to give myself the extra details.

    Instead of dealing with a 17'' computer that has a 15'' screen with an inch bezel, on each side, I actually have a 15" laptop, and it feels nice. It's not clunky except for in airplanes, and fits in a bag just fine. It's weight is comparable to a book that one might have in their bag, and with the performance it packs, it didn't bother me at all.

    Overall I have loved the past year with this machine, and I'll have it until I manage to snag something else absolutely amazing by some stroke of luck. It wasn't a hassle to carry around at all, and it was functional beyond anything I ever needed. I did have one issue with the SSD, but Dell customer service was awesome and ended up sending me a new SSD, then taking it in to replace the motherboard when that didn't work, for absolutely no cost to me; not even shipping. Absolutely amazing service there. For anyone who needs a machine that can do a little bit more than your average laptop, this is certainly the way to go.

    submitted by /u/SnugFnuggBlue
    [link] [comments]

    advise/help on laptop for video editing

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:17 PM PDT

    Hi, I want to buy an HP laptop with:

    1. Intel core i7-8550U quad core, 8M cache, 1.8GHz up to 4.0GHz

    2. Nividia GeForce mx130 2GB DDR3

    3. 256GB PCIE NVME M.2 SSD

    4. Memory 8GB DDR4

    Does this laptop will be good for basic video editing?

    submitted by /u/lisaakll
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung's Qualcomm-powered laptop with a 23 hour batter life

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 03:23 AM PDT

    Lenovo ThinkPad, Core i5, 8gb, 500 dd, at $306. Is this a good option for editing videos? (specifically video game montages)

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:43 PM PDT

    Upgrading RAM

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    I'm looking to increase the RAM in my laptop from 8GB to 16GB. It's a Cyberpowerpc Tracer III Laptop. Does anyone know what I should buy? It currently has 8GB of DDR4 2400Mhz RAM, and I'd rather not mess with the internals until I actually install the RAM.

    submitted by /u/Jthepro123456
    [link] [comments]

    ZENBOOK PRO DUO

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:18 PM PDT

    Finally released! $3,000! Definitely worth it!

    submitted by /u/adi_29369
    [link] [comments]

    How to reset the BIOS password on an HP Pavilion x360 Convertible

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:14 PM PDT

    I was sold a laptop that the seller forgot to remove both their Microsoft account and bios password. I want to install another hard drive, but I have to change a few setting in the bios beforehand.

    I know that with lots of laptops, you can just remove the CMOS battery, but this one doesn't have one (unless I'm stupid, in which case please tell me where it is).
    I held down the windows key and V to try and reset it but it still asked for the password after I rebooted.

    I'm just lost and about at my wits end. Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/Astronometry
    [link] [comments]

    Does the Lenovo Legion Y740 have GSync with the 1660 ti model?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    It's is advertised here that all versions come with G-SYNC

    But I've been reading some posts here and it people are saying they are falsely advertising and that the 1660 ti version does not come with G-SYNC

    I already ordered my prebuilt 1660ti and it ships today. Not sure if I would even use the G-SYNC but it doesn't seem right that they are advertising it the same way across all of the models they have

    submitted by /u/WizardHackerr
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone tell me what model ASUS TUF this actually is?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:39 PM PDT

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VHJ8TLX

    The product page just lists the model as "ASUS" and I dont see it anywhere in the description.

    I just wanted to look up some reviews and various specs.

    submitted by /u/potatoparadise
    [link] [comments]

    Lenovo Yoga 730-15IWL 81JS

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    Looking to possibly get this laptop. I've found some reviews from a few sites, but there aren't hundreds, or even thousands, of reviews like many other laptops. Does anyone have this laptop and have you experienced any problems with it? Or, are there any known problems with this laptop? Does anyone know how old it is?

    submitted by /u/jprice5509
    [link] [comments]

    Can heat from gaming damage screen while closed

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    I have a Dell G7 with a 1060 and a i7 8750h. I was wondering if the heat from gaming could damage the screen over time if the screen is closed while I use an external monitor.

    submitted by /u/TyroneDaWhite
    [link] [comments]

    Is a Ryzen 5 3500U laptop worth paying extra compared to a Ryzen 5 2500U?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:02 PM PDT

    On the lookout for a general 14 inch laptop for normal everyday stuff and a bit of very light gaming (Age of Empires, Hearthstone etc). Seeing plenty of Ryzen 5 2500U laptops with integrated Vega 8 graphics that seem like good options such as Lenovo Ideapad S540 for around 550 euro but also saw this for about 750 euro:

    https://www.komplett.ie/asus-zenbook-flip-um462da-ai038t/80053939/product/9474

    Seems a good price at 750 euro, but is it worth the extra few hundred euro for the 3500u and 256gb more SSD? Total noob with these kind of things, just wondering if the improved processor would actually be massively noticed in everyday stuff.

    submitted by /u/Hayes9391
    [link] [comments]

    Itx build or laptop?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    Anyone been stuck where to build an itx or get a laptop. I have a i7. 12gb ram and a 970m in my MSI laptop but thinking about upgrading soon.

    I take my laptop with me quite a bit, and to friends, also sometimes in different parts of the house. I could do similar with an itx I.E. To a friends or around the house but can't decide.

    submitted by /u/DeanoVIP
    [link] [comments]

    Bose QC35 wired to Dell XPS 13 problems

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 11:18 AM PDT

    My headphones work fine when they are connected through bluetooth, however when I attempt to use my wire to connect the two so I can listen with the bluetooth off something goes wrong and audio won't play. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

    submitted by /u/BowlingChungus
    [link] [comments]

    Which laptop would you choose?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    Hi, I want to buy a multimedia laptop 14-15.6", can be used for programming with some features I am looking for, such as a long-lasting battery, portable and light-weight, a nice display and good enough performance for normal usage for several years.

    My budget is roughly €1200-1300.

    Considering to buy those ones below (current prices in EU, can be varied):

    Dell XPS 15 9570 / 15.6 "FHD / i5-8300H / 8GB / 256GB SSD / GTX 1050 Ti 4GB / 1.8kg : € 1,250

    HUAWEI MateBook X Pro 13.9 3K / i5-8250U / 8GB / 256GB SSD / MX150 / 1.33kg : € 1,200

    ASUS ZenBook 15 "FHD / i7-8565U / 8GB / 256GB SSD / GTX1050 2GB / 1.7kg : € 1,150

    ASUS ZenBook Pro 15 "FHD i7-8750H / 8GB / 256GB SSD / GTX1050Ti 4GB / 1.9kg : € 1,320

    Personally, was thinking to pick Matebook up because of excellent display and very light-weight but Dell XPS 15 is quite attractive too, especially for GPU and CPU power. Even though I am not a gamer when compared to Huawei's GPU and CPU, I guess Dell is far better.

    Which one would you choose? Cheers,

    submitted by /u/ksenkaya
    [link] [comments]

    Zenbook UX533FN or Envy x360 15?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:40 AM PDT

    I need a laptop for university (product design course). Will be dealing with AutoCad most of the time so the laptop I need has to be able to run it smoothly. So far I've been choosing between these two.

    Specs for UX533FN: SSD: 256gb Nvidia GeForce MX150 RAM: 8 gb

    Specs for x360: SSD: 256gb Intel UHD Graphica 620 (there's also a version with NVidia but it has 8gb of RAM) RAM: 16gb

    Really struggling to decide between these two.

    submitted by /u/kay-na
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a laptop under $300 so I can look at photos I take with my DSLR and can edit them..

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:22 AM PDT

    Alienware Area-51m Unboxing and more

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 10:04 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel