• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, August 5, 2019

    Linux help i have no idea whats wrong

    Linux help i have no idea whats wrong


    help i have no idea whats wrong

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 04:32 AM PDT

    What is the best Linux certificate?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 04:00 AM PDT

    CompTIA Linux+, LX0-101 or LPIC-1?

    Whats the difference? Is one more highly regarded then another?

    Sorry for the stupid question

    submitted by /u/HydraDominatus1
    [link] [comments]

    I didn't create a swap space back when I was setting up the OS. How can I create one now?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 05:38 AM PDT

    I am using Manjaro KDE.

    submitted by /u/sciwins
    [link] [comments]

    What is the difference, if any, between software, drivers, firmware, etc?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 02:52 AM PDT

    I've done some programming and I think I know what a computer program is, I know there is source code that can be compiled to an executable, I know about static and dynamic libraries, compiling, linking, etc.

    But then there is something called "drivers". What is a "driver"?

    There is also something called "firmware", what is that?

    Are there more different kinds of software/code that are good to know about?

    submitted by /u/FaidrosE
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the best "new" Distros released in 2019?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 05:59 AM PDT

    I'm looking to know about some of the newest releases of 2019. I could go and search on DistroWatch, but I'm not sure if I can filter the list by release date?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Soul_Predator
    [link] [comments]

    Urgent installation question

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 05:50 AM PDT

    I'm currently on the on the "installation type" section of the elementaryOS installation. I was planning to install elementary on my computer but also keep windows and all the data in it. So, on the "installation type" screen, the first option says "install elementary along Windows Boot Manager". The issue here is that I thought it was supposed to say "Install elementary alongside Windows 10", so now I dont know if I should continue or not because I'm not sure if continuing from "install elementary along Windows Boot Manager" will erase any of the data in windows 10 or not.

    Edit: I'm planning to copy everything in the windows partition and paste it in the elementary partition after installing elementary then deleting the windows partition.

    submitted by /u/aaa4ee
    [link] [comments]

    why does my cpu cores freak out sometimes with compton?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 04:06 AM PDT

    i've noticed that my cpu sometimes (seems completly random) goes to 100% and get stuck there, until i `killall compton`, then it goes back to normal. im fairly new to linux so i have no clue how to troubleshoot this, i only know i dont want my cpu getting stuck at 100%. this time it was with ONE window using opacity/shadow, second window i had open was firefox. my compton.conf is set to have no opacity, but excluded this rule for some windows, such as terminals and rofi. im using i3wm on debian buster.

    https://i.redd.it/bmhi62t94me31.png

    submitted by /u/fkdnlz
    [link] [comments]

    Can't boot into newly installed Manjaro

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 07:59 AM PDT

    Noob here again with another question with manjaro. After playing around with kde I decided to make a bootable thumb drive to use. However, despite installing manjaro and rebooting I am still kept on the secondary master iso(manjaro live is what I think it is called) instead of the newly installed Manjaro. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Edit: I realised I wasn't very clear with what I was doing. I was following this tutoring https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-manjaro-linux/ I after that I booted into the USB drive and installed Manjaro using Illyria. After the install I rebooted the system back to the USB thumb drive. I guess I'm not supposed to do that.... What should I do after the Illyria installment?

    submitted by /u/stpaulgym
    [link] [comments]

    Installation freezes while Booting from usb on used 2008 MacBook pro with no hard drive

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 01:38 PM PDT

    I'm trying to boot from a 32 GB drive. I selected it on the boot menu, and it recognizes that there is Linux on it, but freezes two seconds into it. I The last thing it says is:

    [ 2.173549] fb0: switching to nouveaufb from EFI VGA _

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/gurrrrrrett
    [link] [comments]

    Question about w3m

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 09:25 AM PDT

    Is there a way to tell w3m to use a different image viewer? Image Magik is ok but it borks on certain types of images.

    If it helps, I'm on Manjaro xfce non-free.

    submitted by /u/VirusRenamon
    [link] [comments]

    Why do linux boxes show up with nonstandard MAC addresses on a Windows dhcp server?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    Linux VMs and most bare metal linux machines on my network are showing rather long MAC addresses on my Windows server - the only Linux distro that has not done so is Slackware. What options are there to force the dhcp client on linux to present only a machines' physical MAC address?

    This is affecting the newest Debian, opensuse, and ubuntu releases I was trying to run as virtual machines. I admit that I'm not very familiar with the linux networking stack, but trying to make a dhcp reservation on the windows server that conforms to the same pattern that the other windows boxes would be helpful.

    Here's a snippet - the first machine is a linux box, the 2nd machine is a windows box. The server for dhcp is only serving ipv4-

    Client IP Address Name Lease Expiration Type Unique ID Description Network Access Protection Probation Expiration Filter Profile Policy 192.168.6.7 8/5/2019 4:54:01 PM DHCP 18aae8bb00020000ab11f3e3b7bff452a134 Full Access N/A None 192.168.6.14 host14 Reservation (active) DHCP 001fc69bbdac Full Access N/A None 
    submitted by /u/holdingpattern58
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    How do I start learning Linux, I dont want to spend any money but I have a lot of time

    submitted by /u/daftsion
    [link] [comments]

    Question about prepartitioning drive for Windows Dual boot

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    I have a Lenovo laptop with a ~500GB NVME drive currently running Windows 10.

    My end goal is to dual boot Windows 10 and Manjaro (Architect because I want to try a sway install and I don't really want to have to go through the hassle of removing Xserver afterwards).

    However, so far in my linux journey I have not had to worry about Windows and Linux sharing a drive. Seeing as the Architect installer is CLI based I am not confident about creating/managing partitions during that install process.

    I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to use a live USB to "prepartition" the drive in a graphical environment and then I only need to point the installer at those precreated partitions.

    As I said I've never really had to worry about the partitions as much as previously I have always been able to use the "automatic" option in installers as it has always had it's own drive.

    Is this even possible and what changes would I have to make to my current partition structure. Ideally each OS would get ~half of the drive

    My current partition structure (as presented by "Disks" on my fedora live USB) is detailed below:

    Partition Size Device UUID Partition Type Contents
    1 273 MB /dev/nvme0n1p1 C62D-6D3A EFI System (System, No Automount) FAT (32-bit-version) - Not Mounted
    2 17 MB /dev/nvme0n1p2 MicrosoftReserved (No Automount) Unknown
    3 511 GB /dev/nvme0n1p3 Basic Data Unknown (BitLocker 2) - Locked
    4 1 GB /dev/nvme0n1p4 9E1A316F1A314595 Microsoft Windows Recovery Environment (System, No Automount) NTFS - Not Mounted

    Overview Picture

    https://i.redd.it/zxdvpu07foe31.jpg

    Any help would be appreciated.

    TLDR: I don't know which partition structure I need.

    submitted by /u/StopYourConversation
    [link] [comments]

    Tried a VM. Maybe dual booting?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    Hey everybody. So I'm getting back into computers after not messing with them since Windows xp and I'm really interested in learning Linux. So after asking for suggestions I finally got myself a Lenovo think pad t440s with Windows 10 and planned on dual booting Linux Mint from an external HDD which was also highly suggested. But instead of dual booting I was suggested multiple times to run a virtual machine but have been having terrible luck trying to get it all set up and the OS installed. So with that I think I'm gonna go back to trying a dual boot instead. But first I wanted to inquire about it a little more about if possible?

    1. What're the pros and cons of dual booting vs VM?

    2. I want to use a 1tb external HDD for the dual boot. Will this suffice?

    Is there any definable performance or the like difference between dual booting or VM?

    submitted by /u/Carpe_NoctemXIII
    [link] [comments]

    How to solve " Error running Tomcat server: Port out of Range problem. " problem?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    I am trying to do Java program where I need to use Tomcat Server in Intellji but I get this:

    Error message popup which i run when i try to a Java Servlet Program

    This is Intellij's configuration for Tomcat use.

    Distro: Ubuntu 19.04

    Does anyone use Intellij & Tomcat server in any Linux Distro? Please let me know, how u did it.

    submitted by /u/Arunzeb
    [link] [comments]

    Generate email after successful PYSFTP transfer?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 07:40 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've successfully set up a cron job, with a pysftp script. But I want to connect a second script that will send an email notification (smtp) upon successful transfer. Any tips on going about that? Do I need to put it in try/except? Or maybe pysftp has a method for this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mogla
    [link] [comments]

    Thinkpad keyboard backlight won't dim

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 05:21 AM PDT

    I have a Thinkpad X1C4 running Manjaro Deepin, and I love it. The only things that don't work on it are the fingerprint scanner and the auto-dimming keyboard backlight. On Windows, the backlight would dim and turn off after about five seconds of inactivity, but here it stays on until I manually turn it off. Any ideas, and does anyone know how to get the fingerprint scanner working? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kelvinh_27
    [link] [comments]

    How to pass-through input sound to speakers?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 07:20 AM PDT

    I have a USB turntable for playing vinyl records. It sends digital sound to the PC through the USB port. I can record this sound through something like Audacity and save it as MP3. Thats working fine.

    I'd really like to have the sound coming in from the USB be fed straight back out to the speakers attached the PC. Effectively just using the PC as an amplifier. However, I can't figure out how to set this in the sound configuration.

    I'm using Kubuntu, the sound backend is phonon Gstreamer. The record player appears as an audio recording device and the speakers are available as an audio playback device. How do I connect one to the other?

    submitted by /u/quaderrordemonstand
    [link] [comments]

    Vivaldi on Manjaro not reproducing some videos.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    I have just installed Vivaldi with yaourt install -S vivaldi (it is the only way I found to install Vivaldi on Manjaro) and restarted the PC. The youtube videos are ok but Twitter and Reddit videos and gifs don't play saying "it wasn't possible to reproduce media", I've installed FFmpeg on pacman and didn't work and after tried at snap store, it didn't too. How can I check what can be the problem and how I fix this?

    submitted by /u/Kamunra
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon doesn't recognize AMDGPU-PRO driver

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 06:55 AM PDT

    When I booted Mint today, I got a notice that it was now running in software rendering mode which may be caused by an driver error. So I installed the driver (version 19.20) for my GPU (Radeon R9 380 4G) from the official AMD website, because I hadn't any drivers installed yet, but that didn't resolve the problem. I also wasn't able to find anything about this problem on the internet that wasn't related to running Mint in a virtual machine.

    When I check my system information with inxi it says that the graphic drivers are N/A, though according to the installation was successful. When I try to install it again, it simply says that the drivers are already installed and up-to-date. I'm really confused right now, especially because everything worked well before and I'd be grateful if anyone can help me since I want to use Mint as my main Desktop OS.

    submitted by /u/Dafinition
    [link] [comments]

    [DEBIAN 10]Looking to list only top level packages, how can i accomplish this?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    I had found a stack overflow answer sometime back that contained the following oneliner, which puts a lit of all installed packages into a single file

    sudo dpkg-query -f '${binary:Package}\n' -W > output-file 

    which is great for keeping records, but not so great for cutting down packages. the problem with this is that it also lists all dependencies, libraries, and literally anything installed on the system down to and including the kernel.

    what i need right now is a command that would list installed packages i might actually use, like firefox or calcurse, including ones that are preinstalled with my distribution. i tried apt-mark showauto and apt-mark showmanual but neither are really doing what i need. ive considered finding a script that lists explicitly installed packages but considering that i also want a list of automatically installed packages that wouldnt exactly work. im doing all this to reduce the overall number of packages installed. so as a bonus id like the script to filter out packages that might break things if i remove them.

    tl;dr i need a way to generate a list of applications i can interact with, such as zsh or tmux, including ones which have been installed automatically, such as aspell or firefox. brownie points for a filter for important packages.

    submitted by /u/mechroCutie
    [link] [comments]

    [pango] Opentype bitmap files don't display correctly.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 02:42 AM PDT

    I'm using pango-1:1.44.3-1-x86_64 on Arch.

    I converted from .bdf to .otb using fonttosfnt

    Here is a screenshot, Yes that is the minimun window width.

    Edit: here is the otb file

    submitted by /u/otto251
    [link] [comments]

    Are MacOS and Linux based on similar kernel components ?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    Need help: Ubuntu boots to grub menu

    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    I have ubuntu 18.04 installed in my laptop. Until today it worked fine but now it boots to grub menu. Earlier a file system was corrupt and system booted to initramfs(busy box) but i found a fix online. The filesystem was /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root

    submitted by /u/gandulfthewhite
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel