• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, August 1, 2019

    Laptops Does this seem like a good deal? It's for MS Office and Photoshop use.

    Laptops Does this seem like a good deal? It's for MS Office and Photoshop use.


    Does this seem like a good deal? It's for MS Office and Photoshop use.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 07:08 AM PDT

    My laptop is running slower when not plugged in

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 05:42 AM PDT

    Hello there! I have a Lenovo y540 that I use for both games and class.

    Overall, I'm very satisfied with this laptop. My only issue with it is when it's not plugged in, it runs slower. I realise this is built in so it can save battery life. However, I would like to have control over this so I can play my games at a decent framerate when it's not plugged in.

    I have tried changing the power plan settings but they dont seem to make a difference as far as in game performance goes. Help regarding finding the related settings would be much appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/AhDagPoes
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Macbook Pro 13" (2019 Touchbar) vs Dell XPS 15 9570 (2018)

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    How's it going everyone, so I bet this question has been asked various times before and it may be annoying, but I truly can't come to a decision for what laptop to get, that will be my main driver for the next 4 years of University.

    So first I want to begin by explaining the two laptops I am thinking of getting, they're specs/price and what I am looking for in a laptop. So the biggest thing for me is I want a laptop that will last me 5 - 6 years at least, but of course I want to be sure that the laptop I'm getting will last even longer. I primarily will be using this device for programming and possibly Engineering, depending if I major in Computer Science or Computer Engineering. As well, as I would like to do some gaming on the side if possible but it isn't a top priority, since I have my own custom pc to do that. Note that I do already have an iPhone 7 (although I will most likely be making the shift to Android again if Apple doesn't make any improvements), and an apple watch, if that matters at all. I will also be taking advantage of the back-to school sale on the macbook pro, which comes with a free pair of beats and $100 off at best buy, and hopefully sell the beats back to best-buy to lower the cost of the macbook pro to $850.00 USD. And for the Dell XPS 15 I will be using the $250.00 off deal to knock it down to $1250.00

    Specs:

    Apple Macbook Pro 13" (Latest Model)

    • 1.4GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 128GB SSD storage
    • Retina display with True Tone
    • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645
    • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • Touch Bar and Touch ID
    • Backlit Keyboard - US English

    Price: $1299.00 USD, with Student discount $1199.00 (Free pair of beats $350.00) Price after selling beats if possibly $850.00 USD

    What I like about the macbook from what I've seen in the store is the build quality, trackpad, and display. As a whole though I've never worked with MacOS before but have heard that it is good for programming as it is Unix based.

    Dell XPS 15 9570 (2018)

    • i7-8750H Processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 6 Cores)
    • 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-2666MHz
    • M.2 256GB 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive
    • 15.6" FHD 1920 x 1080 Anti-Glare Non-touch IPS 100% sRGB 400-Nits display InfinityEdge
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
    • 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 with Power Delivery1 Battery gauge button and indicator1 AC power1 HDMI 2.01 Thunderbolt™ 3
    • 1 SD card slot1 Noble lock slot
    • Touch ID

    Price: $1499.99 USD, With discount $1250.00 (No free pair of beats)

    What I do like about the Dell XPS 15, is the Extra Storage, and the graphics card and CPU. Now the plan is if I do get this I will be installing a Virtual Machine to hopefully run linux, and learn how to work in it as I've never worked with it before. However I am a little scared about the reliability of windows compared to Mac, as I've heard that Macs typically last longer.

    Once again if you guys can provide any form of advice I would definitely appreciate it!

    Edit #1: Links to both computers down below

    Dell : https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/2snm

    Macbook: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-gray-1.4ghz-quad-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-3.9ghz-128gb#

    submitted by /u/SerMoisty
    [link] [comments]

    Question regarding my HP 6730S Windows 7 laptop.

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    Hello folks, I've a HP 6730S HP Laptop which is like 5 - 6 years old. All the system config can be found here in this screenshot

    It's running Windows 7 32bit as it has x86 processor. So can't do 64 bit. Also it has 3GB RAM. Actually my mother uses this laptop and it feels very slow and sluggish. She can't have two browsers/processes work parallel.

    Mozilla/Chrome with even 2 tabs keeps the processor above 85%. I mean, you can run only one application at a time.

    You can't surf internet and watch a movie in VLC. You can't watch a YouTube video at 720p or more resolution as processor will touch 100%.

    Boot time is like 2 minutes.

    So, I was thinking maybe If change the HDD to SSD will I see huge improvements in the system performance. Does applications work faster and better or this laptop is done?

    The only usage is web surfing (Mozilla/Chrome) and videos in VLC. No gaming/Photoshop or any heavy software.

    submitted by /u/allthingslove
    [link] [comments]

    Ballin on a budget

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 01:11 PM PDT

    Hey guys, so my hp notebook hinge broke and the computer repair shop said they would order a new screen and its cost 180 to do so and 60 bucks for the repair. The laptop itself was 450-500 so I'm thinking of just getting a new one instead of the 240 for the repairs. Any budget laptops recommended for students? I and am only in the states for 20 more days so would like to get one asap. I'm broke so nothing too expensive please!

    submitted by /u/rondo0909
    [link] [comments]

    Need a little help

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    Hello all, this is my first ever post here. I currently find myself in a bit of a pickle, as i want to buy a gaming laptot, but i can't really go over the 1000€ (i'm from Europe) price tag and the selection is a little limited in my country.

    The Asus TUF FX505GD-BQ111T currently caught my intrest:
    https://datacomp.sk/asus-tuf-fx505gd-bq111t-cierny_d381088.html

    The site is in my country's language, but the specs and the price tag are all there. Is it worth it, and will it hold up with current and upcoming releases?

    Thanks in advance for all your answers, and cheers.

    submitted by /u/IDontHaveSpaceForMyN
    [link] [comments]

    Some backlight bleeding on my brand new Acer Spin 3. What should I do?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 12:29 PM PDT

    It arrived today and when I set it up and rebooted it, I noticed some yellow light in the corner. After some research I found out it is backlight bleeding. It disappears if I gently press behind the screen. Like it's a little twisted, I don't know. It's noticeable over black backgrounds.

    I know this is fairly common on ISP displays, but it worries me because it's brand new. And I spent some money on this, so it makes me sad that it's not perfect as it should be.

    I'm thinking of contacting the shop's support to see what they think of it and if I should replace it.

    submitted by /u/JotaJade
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help, replace current laptop or suck it up?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 08:41 PM PDT

    So at the start of the year I bought a Lenovo Legion Y530 reading that it was a solid laptop that I could use for gaming as well as university. I've been quite happy with how it performed playing games but the problem is that the battery life sucks when I need to use it in class. It will die in less than 1~2 hours even when using conservative battery options and simply using Firefox with some tabs open. Its even worse when I'm trying to use programs such as MATLAB or an IDE.

    So I have quite a dilemma, and I've been considering a few options. I could:

    a) Suck it up and take the (annoyingly bulky) charger with me everywhere and have my laptop always plugged in. If anyone has some battery saving tips that would be great. This would be the cheapest option, obviously.

    b) Sell my current laptop and buy a more expensive one that would have a longer battery life with a dedicated GPU for gaming.

    c) Sell my current laptop and buy another that doesn't have a dedicated GPU and either build a relatively cheap gaming PC or use an eGPU setup at home. (I wouldn't do any gaming other than when I'm at home). eGPU cases seem quite expensive and there are some performance drops but that's not too big of an issue. This option would allow me to buy a ultrabook with really good battery life.

    Some direction and suggestions would really be appreciated. Here is some more info if you require it.

    • Live in Australia, if that matters
    • A 2 in 1 could be nice but not necessary
    • My current laptop has i7-8750H, 15.6"FHD, 1050ti w/ 4GB, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD
    • I have a 27 inch monitor at home
    • The games I play are Rainbow Six Siege and probably destiny 2 later this year. I'm fine with mid-tier performance and I only have a 60Hz monitor

    Thank you so much for any help <3.

    submitted by /u/thethirdkyle
    [link] [comments]

    Using USB-C laptop charger with USB-C to microUSB passive adapter to charge a phone

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 01:45 AM PDT

    I have a 65W USB-C Lenovo charger (i see multiple voltages on it, 5V too) and I want to use it to charge my phone with microUSB port in it.

    Is this configuration possible? Does it negotiate 5V by default? Does anyone using this configuration?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/armasm
    [link] [comments]

    Windows: Local or MSA?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    I got a new computer recently that runs on Windows 10. It's asking whether I want to log in via a Microsoft Account, or if I want go create a local account? Which is better?

    As far as I can tell, logging in with a Microsoft Account will sync certain stuff (accounts, WiFi, Timeline, background wallpaper, etc.) across computers that all use the same account. Is there any benefit to a Microsoft Account if I will only be using this particular laptop?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/laptopnovice
    [link] [comments]

    which one is better?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 10:34 AM PDT

    I have a Lenovo Z570 but it's 7 years old and it's time to replace it. I'm looking for a reliable laptop that won't have to be replaced in the next three years. It's for home use and I don't plan on doing much gaming, just League of Legends and Sims. My budget is about 700 USD. I've narrowed my search to these two Lenovo laptops:

    1.Lenovo IdeaPad 330-15ICH, Intel® Core™ i5-8300H 4 cores, 4.00 GHz, Coffee Lake, 15.6", Full HD, TN, Anti-Glare,1920 x 1080, 8 GB, 2400 MHz, DDR4, 1 TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB, GDDR 5. This one is on sale and I really like it at a first glance. The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't have SSD and I don't know if one can be added later.

    2.Lenovo IdeaPad 330 - Intel Core i7-8550U, NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (2GB GDDR5) , 8GB (2x 4096MB) - DDR4, 2133MHz , 1TB HDD. This one is slightly more expensive than the first Lenovo but It has a version with 250 GB SSD, which is priced above my budget.

    submitted by /u/stannie9332
    [link] [comments]

    Family Laptop

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 10:23 AM PDT

    What could be a good laptop for family use - but would be capable of running different programs for all ages. Office / games / streaming etc would all be needed to be done? Budget of around £500?

    submitted by /u/doccadocca
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for business and gaming laptop

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:48 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: US I'd like to stay under 1,000

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Specs and decent battery life

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? I'll be carrying it around a fair bit so I'd like to keep it under 5 pounds

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13-15"

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Lot of formula work with Excel and would prefer decent gaming

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Would like to get 60fps with medium-high settings on Fallout 4, mainly playing modded Bethesda games (not sure what kinda power goes into running games like these)

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Build quality and keyboard are the most important. Don't have any desire for a touchscreen

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. -I've been working on a 2011 Mac book pro since 2011. So I'd like another computer I can get longevity out of. I understand the compromise between portable and power so I'd be open to getting external gpu if that can improve performance with gaming.

    submitted by /u/Thunderjake
    [link] [comments]

    Do laptop ram sticks need to match the same way desktop sticks need to?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    I'm buying a new Asus TUF laptop with 8gb ram. As this will be my first laptop I was wondering if I need to match the stick which is already inside the laptop with the same exact one if I want to expand the ram to 16gb and run dual channel? I know I should match the speed/timings but should I match the brand/model?

    Also, I understand this is a local thing, but do vendors usually void your warranty if you yourself open the laptop to expand it with more ram/ssd?

    submitted by /u/Hisuiiki
    [link] [comments]

    Looking at the Acer Nitro 5 Spin

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    I am considering buying the Acer Nitro 5 Spin and I wanted to asked a few questions about it and weather or not I should but it. First off I know that it has a heating problem but could that be avoided by using an external fan? How well can the Acer Nitro 5 Spin handle these games GTA V, black ops 3, Rocket League, 7 days to die, Fortnite and black ops 4. Should I buy this laptop why? Why not? Or do you have any alternatives that are around the same price?

    submitted by /u/Hoboface1
    [link] [comments]

    Need help for a new Laptop

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    hey

    i want to bus a new laptop and i need a little advice on what to look on. I want to use them primarily for office but also occasionally i want to use them for image and video editing. Which is the ideal processor, what kind of graphic card etc.

    submitted by /u/Kyurl
    [link] [comments]

    Needing a new laptop

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    Need someone else's input on laptops cause I keep running in circles trying to make a decision.

    Uses are multi-track audio recording with Studio One 4 or Logic Pro (live input, vsts, heavy effect work), Adobe creative suite work (Mainly Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. May use for light video work), light gaming (emulation and some RPG stuff).

    Current laptop: 2012 MacBook Pro 15. It has served me very well and has been a workhorse but its time to find something new due to aging hardware and new software demands.

    Preferably would like to stay under $2,600.00, RAM must have 16 GB or more and SSD must be 1TB (would do models with less as long as it is self upgrade-able). I will have about a $400 trade in value for trading in laptop mentioned above and one other I have.

    Laptops I'm eyeing are: 2019 Dell XPS 15 7590 4K UHD GTX 1650 & i9 model (concerned about latency issues but what I'm ultimately leaning toward), 2019 MacBook Pro 15 i9 model, 2019 Asus ROG Zephyrus S 502 RTX 2070, or 2019 Razer Blade 15 RTX 2070 Max-Q model.

    Please let me know your thoughts, it would be very appreciated!

    submitted by /u/huntnems
    [link] [comments]

    Safe to remove label on RAM?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 04:20 AM PDT

    I recently purchased this Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 16GB 2666MHz CL18 SODIMM Memory Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QMPTNXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rNSqDbPQPC4Y0 for my laptop. The RAM is installed one on top of the other like a step. This means that it's kind of a tight fit because of the label on the Patriot RAM. I needed a little bit extra force to get it locked in. Is it safe to remove it? It's a tiny bit thicker than a piece of paper so I'm not sure if it's actually a heatsink that's required. I'm not sure if the extra force to keep it locked in will damage the locking mechanism over time. The originally installed first stick was bare.

    submitted by /u/Outrager
    [link] [comments]

    what do you think of this laptop for writing and playing warframe?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 12:21 AM PDT

    Any good laptop for PS/LR and gaming ?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 07:46 AM PDT

    Just a laptop for mainly editing raw pictures in Lightroom and Photoshop and some mediocre gaming(games like GTA 5, dota 2, Rainbow six siege...) im kinda traveling a few times in a month and would be always handy to have a laptop with me so im wondering if there is any good option for under 800€ or should i just stay on desktop and upgrade my 2nd gen intel and a gtx 660.

    submitted by /u/Habstrakkt
    [link] [comments]

    Budget laptop

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 07:32 AM PDT

    Hello Guys, I wanted to ask you if you could recommend me some laptop that would b able to run League of legends. Besides that I am a student and all I need is MS office and Internet browsing, nothing demanding, so running LoL smoothly is my only real requirement. Budget is under 500 but the less the better, im pretty broke even by a student standards 😀

    submitted by /u/Kingofunreal
    [link] [comments]

    HP envy 13 Advice/Experience

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 07:02 AM PDT

    I am looking to buy the HP Envy 13-aq0051ms and was hoping to get people experience with the laptop. The specs for the laptop are Intel i7 8th Gen processor, 16 GB RAM and a MX250 graphics card.

    I am also open to any other suggestions of similar laptops (13-14 in in size and budget of 1200 USD)

    submitted by /u/Swapnildx
    [link] [comments]

    Best ultrabook for web application development?

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 03:12 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Looking for suggestions from owners for a decent laptop for development.

    Requirements are:

    - Good CPU

    - Good battery

    - NVMe SSD slot

    - Thunderbolt

    Any owners out there who just flipping love their ultrabook and would recommend it?

    submitted by /u/FudgeNuggets92
    [link] [comments]

    Help with some technical terms

    Posted: 31 Jul 2019 08:39 PM PDT

    I have previously posted a question I have about a 2014 alienware 17 but I realized my knowledge is extremely limited and a separate post is required.

    I have found my current computer to be satisfactory for just about half odf what I use it for but I would like an upgrade. My current computer has a 2.9 ghz processor, 16gb ram, and thats about all I know.

    I use Microsoft flight sim quite often and this is just barely enough power for 20fps.

    If I were to get a new computer or upgrade my alienware (if thats even an option and worth it) what sort of numbers should I look for and what sort of price range should I expect? I feel like Aloenware and Mac are overcharging for the name and I feel like the people at the computer shop don't really know what theyre talking about half the time.

    Other things I do are photoshop which lags with my current computer, video editing which I cant do anymore because I dont have enough power, netflix is good, some older games are good but most new ones are incompatible.

    Im sorry if this is a recurring question but I really have no idea what Im looking for and I would like to know if its worth keeping my mid range alienware 17 to be upgraded and if I can get a new computer with more power with a price range of under $2000 CDN. About $1500 USD max

    submitted by /u/fetus_oven
    [link] [comments]

    MacBook Pro mid 2012 help

    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 05:09 AM PDT

    I want to know if it is any good to do light programming at the university and what upgrades would you suggest. (The laptop is a gift from my uncle who wants to replace it)

    submitted by /u/shay4567
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel