• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, August 10, 2019

    Laptop for 73 year old

    Laptop for 73 year old


    Laptop for 73 year old

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:11 AM PDT

    My dad's HP Probook 4530s finally shit the bed. Bought it for him in 2011. He literally never takes it anywhere outside of the living room. Usage is mostly email, web browsing, photo viewing (via ACDSee) and lots of Skype. Occasional AutoCAD as he is a retired engineer and sometimes draws up plans for home improvement ideas.

    Thats it. No gaming or photo/video editing. Doesn't use facebook or any social media, just email/web and Skype almost all the time. He literally has never taken the laptop outside of the house and its always plugged in so battery life or weight aint really a factor.

    So I want to buy him a new laptop but not sure what models to look for. Budget is $500-700.

    Im typing this on a 2012 MacBook Pro which I love dearly, so Im thinking getting him a Mac but the 2012 ones I'm finding on eBay are hella expensive, 2015s even more so. One feature I think he'd really appreciate is a backlit keyboard so thats a must. Oh and he never ever uses a touchpad so thats a non factor. Given the average eyesight of a 70+ year old a big screen is a plus, so nothing under 15". 1080p would be preferred especially IPS, 4k would be a waste. I think in 2019 quad core CPU should be minimum, so a quad core (AMD or intel, don't matter) is a must, however I need to replace the HDD/RAM myself so no soldered down parts.

    Would prefer new models, but I am looking on eBay for used as well. Nothing older than 2015 though.

    Any recs would be welcomed, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mona-Lisa-Overdrive
    [link] [comments]

    CS undergraduate looking for laptop recommendations

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:42 AM PDT

    Total budget and country of purchase: UK £1000

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Good battery life is what I'm looking for the most, a 2 in 1 is something that would be convenient but it isn't needed

    How important is weight and thinness to you? Weight is important as I'll be carrying it around for university

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13" minimum

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I don't plan on using it for gaming or any of that, I'll be using programs like java and python etc.

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Keyboard isn't something I'm too fussed about, I'd prefer a good build quality so it doesn't end up bending in my bag or anything, obviously if it's 2 in 1 it'll have touch screen but if it's not 2 in 1 then touch screen isn't required

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I don't know much about the laptop market as I've never really looked into it until now so I'm quite lost when it comes to them and any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/The-Butternut
    [link] [comments]

    Can't decide between these two laptops, which one should I go for ?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:20 AM PDT

    The two laptops are ASUS FX503VM link

    vs

    Acer Nitro 5 link

    Important difference is :

    Asus comes with a i5-7300h (4c/4threads) and a 1060 3GB

    Nitro 5 has i5-8300h (4c/8threads) but with a 1050 5GB.

    Both are offered to me for the same price now. I am into light gaming but mostly general tasks... Any input will be appreciated, thank you!

    sorry for the mod team the form doesn't help my questions here :(

    submitted by /u/13022019
    [link] [comments]

    USA, Laptop Recommendations under 1300$, Financial engineering grad student

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:47 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase:

    1300$ Max and USA

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    I prefer longevity and specifications for money

    How important is weight and thinness to you?

    Somewhat important but not that important

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    Windows or Mac

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    N/A

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    I don't game but I'll be doing coding (python, c++, Matlab, some machine learning stuff ) and using applications like Excel

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    N/A

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    Reliable build quality and I don't like touch-screen

    submitted by /u/ami1231
    [link] [comments]

    Need reviews for dell vostra 7590

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:27 AM PDT

    I am a computer science major. I am also looking to do some light gaming(fortnite). Looking at the one with a 9th gen i5 9300h, gtx 1050 and 8 gb ram. I need good battery life and do let me know how this one compares to the lenovo yoga 730 15".

    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/vostro-15-7000-small-business-laptop/spd/vostro-15-7590-laptop/configurations

    • Total budget and country of purchase: 1100 usd ,USA

      • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. A combination of good specs and battery life
    • How important is weight and thinness to you? - not that important but it shouldn't be really thick or heavy like gaming laptops*

      Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15 inch *

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. - fortnite

    • **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you * fortnite at 60 fps 1080 work best.

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? -just good build quality *

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. -fill here, remove dashes-

    submitted by /u/akhatai
    [link] [comments]

    $1000-$1200 for a good office computer?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:59 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $1000-$1200
    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Best specifications (for office use, see specific requirements)
    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Not important.
    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows 10
    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. Bigger is better, same with resolution!
    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. This computer won't be used for any of those, so graphics is not important.
    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I need the computer to be able to handle lots of tabs and Microsoft Office programs open while still running fast. Needs either HDMI or VGA support. Durable build quality for normal office use would be nice. SSD for quick startup would be nice too.
    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I will need to purchase several of these for the office, so it has to be a seller with at least three of these computers stocked
    submitted by /u/Scorchfrost
    [link] [comments]

    Thin and Light Laptop for School that can run some games

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 06:01 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: My budget is around $1500, with about $100-200 for upgrades if needed.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. I prefer a decent battery life, as I will be using this in class, and specs are important but not an immediate turn off if it isn't the best specs I can get for the money.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? I would like it thin enough so that I can easily move it around with no problems, and <5 lbs weight.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. I require windows OS

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15.6"

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I will be doing photo editing, mainly on lightroom with some photoshop in my workflow. I also plan to game a bit, and I want to be able to play LOL, CSGO, R6, and Warframe. I will also be connecting a monitor to the laptop while I am gaming.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? LOL - medium-high (144+ fps) CSGO - high (144+ FPS) R6 - medium (100+ FPS) Warframe - high (100+ FPS)

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I would like a laptop that has pretty decent build quality, an SD card reader if possible, and TB3 support so I can connect my monitor to the laptop.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I was looking at the XPS 15, MSI GS65, MSI P65, Gigabyte OLED Aero 15, and the new Razer Blade as possible options. Any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ShockNova12
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a laptop for student

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:57 AM PDT

    Hi im looking for a low to mid budget laptop for College but also for playing RTS games like total war but only in sp, was hoping for some suggestions please

    submitted by /u/The_codfather50
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for CS student for less than 1000$

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:40 AM PDT

    I've been looking at these:

    Asus Vivobook S14 S430FA-EB109T
    Intel Core i5 8265U
    512 GB SSD
    RAM 8 GB DDR4
    Intel HD Graphics 620
    14 inch 1920x1080 (Full HD) display
    Battery life up to 8h

    Acer Swift 3 14"
    Intel Core i5-8250U Quad Core 1,6 GHz
    RAM 8 GB DDR4 (2 x 4 Gt) (max. 12 Gt)
    256 GB PCIe NVMe SSD
    14" Full HD IPS (1920x1080) ComfyView display
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Battery life up to 12h

    Acer Swift 3 15,6"
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700U Quad Core 2,2 GHz
    RAM 8 GB DDR4 non (upgradable)
    256 GB PCIe SSD
    15,6" Full HD IPS (1920x1080) display
    AMD Radeon RX 540 2 Gt
    Battery life up to 8h

    Asus VivoBook S14
    Intel Core i5-8265U Processor 1.6 GHz (6M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)
    RAM 8GB DDR4
    SATA3 256G M.2 SSD
    14 inch FHD display (1920 x 1080)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620

    Dell Inspiron G5 15,6
    Intel Core i5-8300H
    RAM 8GB DDR
    256GB SSD
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    15,6 inch IPS 1920 x 1080 Full HD display
    56 WHr Battery

    Thoughts?
    Which is a better processor, Intel Core i5-8250U or AMD Ryzen 7 2700U?
    Is there anything else to look for other than these specs?

    submitted by /u/InsideJudge
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a laptop for studying and travelling.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:39 AM PDT

    Hello,

    For the next few years I'm gong to be studying my MA in a research heavy subject whilst also will be travelling a lot and will need to be working whilst travelling. I'm looking for a new laptop which will be relatively compact, light, and with good battery life in combination with decent processing.

    From my research at the moment it seems to me that I definitely need an ultrabook and with a budget of around £800-1000, I was leaning on getting a refurbished MacBook Air 13 (as apparently refurbished Apple products are just as good as new ones).

    Would this be a good purchase or are there better alternatives for my budget and what I am looking for ?

    submitted by /u/deathbladev
    [link] [comments]

    UK University, Computer Science, <£550

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:23 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: Less than £550, England
    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. I prefer the best specs for the money
    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Performance is the most important feature.
    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. I will be using Linux. I don't care if the laptop has a preinstalled OS since I will do a fresh install.
    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15.6"
    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Dota 2
    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Dota 2 - 60fps low settings
    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? No specific requirements
    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I apologise if the formatting is off, this was done on mobile.
    submitted by /u/QwertyMeep
    [link] [comments]

    Which of these has higher build quality/finish: HP ZBook Studio G5, HP EliteBook 850 G6, or Dell Precision 15 5540?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 02:51 AM PDT

    Considering these 3 laptops. Which would you say is best, especially in terms of build quality/finish? Please also note any other differences worth considering. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/xMicro
    [link] [comments]

    Acer aspire 5 or hp 250 g7

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 02:43 AM PDT

    so i want a 500-600€ (finland) laptop for lightweight gaming (league of legends, oldschool runescape) + school. My best options seems to be:

    1) HP 250G7 i5-8265U 15 8GB/512

    2) ACER A515-51-571E i5-8250U 15.6inch FHD

    wich one of these are better or are there better options in the same price range?

    cheers

    submitted by /u/quzimaa
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to decide between the Dell New XPS 13 vs the Huawei Matebook X Pro

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 10:17 PM PDT

    Total budget and country of purchase: $1.2k

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. I don't care about 2-in-1, I would prefer good battery life with best specifications.

    How important is weight and thinness to you? I want a thin computer— cute and sleek, you know?

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows. My friend told me macs are just overpriced and painful (from her experienced)

    Do you have a preferred screen size? 13 inches, just to make my life easier.

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. League of Legends.

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? 60 FPS on league on low or medium settings.

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I want a keyboard that feels nice (like Mac or Surface), I want the computer to look cute when I pull it out or am using it, and most importantly, a battery life that works well for college days. A trackpad that doesn't feel awful is nice too. I would hopefully want a computer that doesn't fall apart easily (which is why I'm not going for a surface), and I want a display that looks nice.

    These two are the computers I'm after (don't recommend me anything else). I need help deciding. For the most part I'm just gonna be browsing Reddit, watching YouTube videos, occasionally playing league. I just don't know which one I want more. The Matebook is very pretty but the XPS apparently has better specs or something? I don't know, I've read so many threads here and still can't come to a conclusion.

    submitted by /u/Grammarnazi_bot
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming/Design Laptop - $2500-3500 - USA

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 06:28 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase:

    $2500-3500. USA.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    I want a decent battery life (6hr for non-intensive tasks if possible, at least 2hr for gaming at lowered settings) but 2 in 1 would be nice, it's not necessary though.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you?

    I'd like to stay under 6LBS.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

      Windows whatever version it's on now I guess.

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    15"-16" at 144hz. I'm kind of okay with 17" but would greatly prefer staying between 15"-16" due to air travel.

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    Programs: Adobe Suite. Mainly Photoshop and Illustrator.

    Gaming: Assassin's Creed, Hitman 2, GTA V, Tomb Raider, Borderlands, Far Cry, etc.

    For this reason a i7-8750H would be ideal and at least 16GB of RAM.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    Hitman 2 at 60fps or more consistently. Want to also be able to run future titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Borderlands 3, etc but understand until specs are released this is a question mark.

    Rather unsure if the RTX line for laptops is worth the extra money or is as future proof though.

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    REALLY WANT REAR PORTS LIKE THE LENOVO LEGION LINE AND A 2ND HDD!

    I'm sick of side cords everywhere, especially the charging cable, ethernet and USB cables but main reason I'm not getting a Legion 740 15" is because I need a 2nd HDD and it's battery life is just so abysmal unless you remove the 2nd HDD to install a bigger battery. That seems like a ridiculous compromise.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    Due to my desire for rear ports, 2 HDDs and gaming ability I am looking at the Legion Y740 17" but it's battery life is still ehhhh making it feel rather limited in portability for the price and it's screen isn't my ideal size so I'd like to see if I up my budget if anything can tick all these boxes or can tick more of them than the Y740 17" did.

    I know I'm picky as I'm used to the customization of desktops so I understand if everything is very hard to hit at any budget but do appreciate any help.

    So in short most important:

    • 6hr battery life for browsing, watching videos, light photo editing. At least 2hr for gaming for AAA titles when not on ultra settings/100% brightness/etc. 60+fps for AAA titles like Hitman 2 when plugged up.

    • Rear ports like the Lenovo Legion lines, especially for the charging, Ethernet and USB ports.

    • 2 HDDs. 1TB HDD + 512GB SSD preferably.

    • Under or at 6LBS. Preferably 15"-16" 144hz screen.

    • 16GB of RAM.

    • Windows whatever

    submitted by /u/Ashelia_of_Dalmasca
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a budget laptop (under ~725$) that can run Destiny 2 on medium settings?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:55 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: I'm from the U.S., and though I'm not strapped for money, per se, I'm not rolling in cash, either; $725 is the maximum I can afford.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. I'm mostly looking for decent graphics performance that can run the game at 30 FPS on medium, maybe high if possible. Battery life would be a nice plus, but I'm aware that I'm probably going to have to sacrifice a good bit of something at this price range in order to get the performance I'm looking for.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Not overly important. I'm replacing my old laptop because it's falling apart, but the main thing I'm concerned about is it being mobile enough for my university work, so 5ish pounds would probably be my upper end.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows.

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A. As long as it's not tiny, I don't mind much.

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I'm looking to upgrade a bit only because I have friends on PC for Destiny 2, so Destiny 2 is the only real game I'm looking to run. Everything else I need it for involves schoolwork, which my current laptop (which is pretty much a featherweight in terms of processing power) handles just fine.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Destiny 2, pretty much. Maybe a few other steam games like Universe Sandbox or Eastside Hockey Manager, but my current computer handles those fairly well so it's not a big deal.

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? As long as it doesn't fall apart instantly (so build quality, I guess), whatever is within the price range works. I would prefer something that lasts a bit longer (my current laptop is like 5-6 years old) since this is a pretty big investment to make.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. Any help is really appreciated! (:

    submitted by /u/samitay
    [link] [comments]

    Disappointed in my new Clevo P970RD display

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 09:53 PM PDT

    To start with, a story of pain and bitterness:

    I have an old Clevo P170EM that is on its last legs, and was trying to replace it. I thought it would be a good idea to stick with Clevo/Sager, since this one has served me well. I ended up ordering a P970RD from XoticPC, paying extra for pretty much everything to max out the monitor quality.

    Almost a month later, I finally have it, and holy **** the LCD screen is terrible. It's extremely flimsy. It has terrible viewing angle range. I can SEE THE SPACE between the pixels. I paid for them to professionally color-calibrate it, and yet the best red I can get out of it is a solid orange. The whites are dull. The blacks are gray.

    For me, the entire point of having a 17" gaming laptop is to have a great visual experience, and this doesn't even come close. When I hunt down the specs on my old laptop, the monitor is a 90% NTSC FHD glossy. The newer Clevo/Sager models only seem to come with 72% NTSC matte. I don't want to be stuck with this for another 5-7 years. I want to return this.

    But that brings me to the real question: if Clevo just doesn't make them like they used to, then where can I turn?

    Budget: <$2500 (paid $2345 for the P970RD)

    I want to use this laptop for data analysis, movies, video editing, and light gaming. It's important to be quiet, well-cooled, and preferably not much more than 5 lbs. It needs a strong processor with a lot of cores (and yes, I make good use of hyperthreading) that won't overheat (I chose an i7-9750H), a lot of RAM (I chose 32 GB), and the GPU needs to be good, but doesn't need to be top-gun (I picked the RTX 2060 mobile). I want a monitor that doesn't feel like a downgrade. 16-17" is fine. I want a good build quality, preferably an aluminum chassis.

    Previous bad experiences:

    I've previously had trouble with Alienware being horribly unreliable, with the video card dying about once per year through several different models of laptop. Their models were also always way too heavy.

    I had a bad experience with a Dell XPS 15, with the 4k touchscreen. There were a ton of UI scaling problems in 4k. More importantly, whenever I would try to run video and data analysis at the same time, something would overheat, and the processor would be aggressively throttled, making the computer entirely unusable. Thermal throttling under load like this is completely unacceptable.

    Is there any laptop currently on the market that can satisfy my demands?

    submitted by /u/TBSchemer
    [link] [comments]

    Linux lightweight laptop 2in1

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:26 PM PDT

    **Total budget and country of purchase:**

    USA, 1,600 USD max

    **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**

    2in1

    **How important is weight and thinness to you?**

    must be under 2.5 lb and thin,

    **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.**

    Linux

    **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**

    13/14 inches

    **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.**

    Intellij, dev tools

    **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**

    touch screen

    **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**

    I want it to be lightweight, with good battery life and decent specs (at least 16gb ram, 8th gen i5, 512 ssd). I am not much concerned about price

    I was in doubt between:

    - Lenovo c930 (or 730): I heard it has great linux compatibility and I like the speakers hinge idea

    - LG gram: claims great battery life, but it seems to have really bad performance due to one fan and throttling. Both RAM and ssd can be upgraded

    - ASUS ZenBook Flip: I am concerned about asus being a "cheap" brand

    - HP spectre x360: seems well rounded, no much of an opinion on that

    Anyone with experience on those or similar laptops can give me any hint? Especially on Bios configuration and Linux compatibility?

    P.S.

    I am excluding Dell since I have a Precision and I was really annoyed by a number of things, mostly stupidly limited BIOS control*, webcam and port position choice, etc... In short I would never ever buy a Dell again my life because of a mix of stupid product decision.

    submitted by /u/alex_091
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for an Architecture student

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 11:34 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: 50,000 to 65,000, Philippines

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. 2 in 1 form factor would be nice, if not, best specifications for money

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Not that important, but a lightweight would be good

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. AutoCad and the likes

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I am actually choosing between Dell Inspiron 15 5584 and IdeaPad L340. But any other suggestions would be nice.

    Thoughts, anyone?

    submitted by /u/_cheeseburgers3000
    [link] [comments]

    Which Lenovo 2-in-1 for engineering?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    I am looking at the Lenovo Flex 15, Yoga 730, and Yoga C930 with i7 processors. I have decided that I may not use the laptop for CAD and instead use lab computers for that considering the price jump for a dedicated graphics card.

    Needs: A solid computer that I can use heavy Matlab and Excel on easily. I will also use it to hand write notes on in class via tablet mode.

    I am not concerned with speakers or display quality, so want to make sure the price remains low without extra bells and whistles.

    Budget: <$1000

    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Lenovos listed above, or any other computer in my budget? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Bucas94
    [link] [comments]

    ASUS or LENOVO: What is a university student to choose? [$1200 CAD]

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 09:08 PM PDT

    Hello again,

    I've been doing a lot of research, trying to figure out what is best for me as a university student. I know the basics of what I need.

    • portable
    • i5 8th gen processor
    • 8GB Ram
    • 256 SSD

    I have a desktop that can handle gaming and big programs like adobe photoshop. I just need a laptop for on campus, to write notes and essays, research, answer emails, and internet browsing.

    Do you think it's better to be buying from a store or an online retailer?

    I've been looking at laptops that are so similar I have have no idea what's best anymore. I just feel like crying.

    • Total budget and country of purchase: Around $1200 Canadian total. (tax is 13% in my province)

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Good battery life (8-ish hours) & best specifications for the money.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Very, I'm commuting to campus on a bus (1hour+ each way). I don't want my bag to be too heavy with all the other things I will need.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows 10 (What's the difference between Home & Pro?)

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13" I'm looking for something small.

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Microsoft Office, Chrome, & Spotify.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? N/A

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Build quality is important, I really really would like this laptop to last 4+ years. But the look of it is still important too. I'm not sure what ports would be best or what ones you need to have.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I've been mostly looking at ASUS and LENOVO products. The ones that have caught my eye (and are available in Canada) are the ASUS Zenbook UX333 (Can you tell me the major difference between the FA and FN?) I really love how it looks. I found it for $1099.99 on the staples site. There is also the ASUS Zenbook UX331UA which is $1099.99 at Staples and Canada Computers. The LENOVO ThinkBook 13s comes in at $1089.00 at Canada Computers and $1089.99 at Staples. (2 links [A] and [B] but I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same).

    submitted by /u/HeroAssassin
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop with a high performance CPU without a GPU

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    My only constraint is a high performance, or even a high end-ish CPU, and ideally 32 gigs of RAM. Will almost exclusively use for software development, and running multiple VMs. I don't have any loads that would utilize the GPU (i.e image processing, machine learning) therefore an onboard GPU like Intel HD graphics would be more that enough.

    Single thread performance is necessary, so I'd like to avoid Xeons. For example, a 9th gen Intel 6 to 8 core high performance CPU would be fine.

    Display quality is not important as well; anything 15" or 17" would be ok.

    Cannot seem to find anything good without GPU (I'd like to avoid paying the premium, and the extra weight & cooling setup).

    I'm about to say forget it and build a mini-itx system, cram a 9900k (or one of the new threadrippers) in it, and carry it around with me alongside a portable monitor. But I'd prefer a laptop if possible as it would me much more convenient, especially during international flights where I might have to explain a lot to security about my mystery carry-on box. It will also be the talk of the week to join a business meeting with the customer using a desktop case under my arm, so...

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/SIADL
    [link] [comments]

    Msi gs65 or lenovo y740?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 08:52 PM PDT

    Which one is a safer pick? Open to all suggestions

    submitted by /u/mursuna
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5 Alienware 51m vs MSI GT76

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 08:51 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase

    USA. Preferably under $5-6,000. Money isn't an issue but I want to spend as little as possible.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    I stay inside most of my free time. Not going to buy another one for a long time so longest possible lifetime. Can't go with desktop because I'm a quadriplegic and operate with a stylus in my fingers instead of mouse and not needing a separate keyboard is a +!

    • How important is weight and thinness to you?

    N/a

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    17.3+

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    Gaming

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    Kinda limited what I can play but highest settings/fps. Oculus

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    Best build quality.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    I purchased a MSI GS75 2080 max-q from Best Buy and quickly regretted that. CPU would top out at 100C within minutes of playing anything on highest settings even without overclocking. Didn't do a thorough look on specs and the Geek Squad didn't catch the lack of a Mini DP. Fortunately a mDP -> USB-C worked but I can tell that it barely works and isn't ideal.

    Returned that and let them convince me (stupidly) to downgrade to same model but with a 2070 max-q. SAME ISSUE and now I'm down a shorter lifetime on future games. I have to return this one on the 22nd and I'm hoping that those maladies will be solved with a custom builder and upgraded thermal paste.

    I'm looking at the Alienware 51m for upgrade ability at $4,700-900 including 4 year warranty from HIDevolution.

    However, they recommended the MSI GT76 because a $9,500 51m got returned for crackling audio/mobo issues.

    I'm conflicted because even barely configured it runs to $5,700 with a 3 year warranty. They said it has better cooling which is my main concern with a delidded i9 and desktop GPU. The only attraction for me is a 4k screen (FU dell) because I can get 4TB for less than 3TB.

    Should I consider a different builder like XoticPC or Falcon NW? I was also told XPC isn't a licensed with Dell which is a huge red flag if true.

    Pros/cons

    Where should I order it from?

    submitted by /u/QuadriReviews
    [link] [comments]

    Your thoughts on HP Chromebook 14-inch Laptop with 180-Degree Hinge, Full HD Screen, AMD Dual-Core A4-9120 Processor, 4 GB SDRAM, 32 GB eMMC Storage, Chrome OS (14-db0050nr, Snow White)?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 06:41 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel