• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, August 10, 2019

    The tale of non-existing WiFi Tech Support

    The tale of non-existing WiFi Tech Support


    The tale of non-existing WiFi

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    (Not really IT-tech support related, but somewhat technical anyway.)

    Context: many moons ago, I worked (under subcontract) for a gameconsole company, that sold both fixed consoles, and portable ones.

    Me: companyname, how can I assist you?

    Customer (cu): I just purchased your portable console, and the WiFi doesn't work (yelling).

    Me: Ok, let's try to solve this. (I walk the customer through the configuration to setup wifi). Can you see your home router in the list of found networks?

    Cu: No, I see nothing, the list is empty.

    Me: Can you reboot your router, just to be sure?

    Cu: What's a router?

    Me: The box where the internet comes out of (allready dumbing down my questions out of despair).

    Cu: I don't have internet at home.

    Me: Then you cannot play online, you can allways use it offline.

    Cu: (starts screaming) But it says WiFi on the box! I bought this to have internet at home!

    Me: ...

    Customer genuinly thought that just buying a WiFi capable handheld console would magically radiate internet in her house.

    submitted by /u/Capa_D
    [link] [comments]

    How to print a brochure, if you teach CS

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:02 PM PDT

    This story happened about two years ago back when i haven't discovered the wonders of Reddit and this sub. At that time, i was working as a 'lab assistant' at my college, that is, being responsible for a computer lab operation and general sys-admin stuff around the department, which included helping teachers and admin staff around computer-related issues.

    So, one day, a CS teacher asks me to help her with printing compendiums for her course. Compendium was made as a 54 or so page A5 brochure, which means that in order to print it you have to arrange these pages on an A4 paper sheet in a very specific pattern. Not a problem, since Word should've taken care of this thing automatically. Then, she gives me two documents, both with paper size set to A4 landscape, and both containing the same compendium, with the difference being that one had all the text on the right side of the document, and another had everything on the left side. Completely bewildered with this level of shenanigans coming from a CS teacher, i ask her what this setup was supposed to be.

    At this point i need to give a brief description of this teacher: full Caren haircut died black, notoriously irascible, with a catchphrase translating to pretty much 'i will piss off everyone', and inexplicably both lacking in her own subject and certified highest category teacher. She gives me a similar brochure that was printed the year before, and proceeds to show me, that i should open a previous year's brochure, find which page number is printed on which side of the A4 sheet and print it from the corresponding document, one page at a time, for each out of a classrooms' worth of compendiums. The thing is, judging by the state of the documents, the poor soul that was lab assistant the year before me had most likely went through this exact procedure. Even though i outright refused to put myself through such a torment, i spent about a week afterwards fixing the document and testing Word print settings. Among things that i had to fix were: manually numbered pages, indentation with spaces, page breaks made out of line breaks, pictures, that were placed over a bunch of line breaks and centered manually to fit in text and probably some other things that i do not remember.

    What was the reason for printing a new set of materials at all? From this year on, curriculum (which was made entirely by her) included lab assignments on using Skype and Windows Movie Maker. At the very least, i've got a sweet bit of gratification out of pointing to her a page in her own compendium that described all those things that i wasted no less than four hours fixing in her document.

    PS: I hope that the text is still readable in spite of my probably less than ideal translation for most of the job titles and such. If you have any questions, i would try to answer them in the comments.
    edit: added paragraph breaks as suggested.

    submitted by /u/jedi5218
    [link] [comments]

    Move my things!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    Short story.

    A year ago I used to work at a help desk support center for Universal Galvanic, with a team of about 70-80 people supporting the US and South America.

    I was just taking chats that day (some people would take calls and others chats) and I get this lovely lady asking to have her stuff moved because she got a new office. Keep in mind that the call center is in Miami, the lady wasn't.

    Me: Thank you for contacting IT yadda yadda this is pirox1234

    User: I need to have my stuff moved to my new work area

    Me: I'm unable to assist you with that, please contact your supervisor for your options.

    User: but I need my desk and computer to be moved now!

    Me: I understand but I work from a remote location and we don't keep a directory so I wouldn't be able to assist you with moving your things or contacting someone that could.

    User has disconnected.

    Why do people think of IT as custodians?

    submitted by /u/pirox1234
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel