• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, August 8, 2019

    IT Career When you are the one "who didn't burn the bridge" - tales of bad bosses/ staffs during resignation

    IT Career When you are the one "who didn't burn the bridge" - tales of bad bosses/ staffs during resignation


    When you are the one "who didn't burn the bridge" - tales of bad bosses/ staffs during resignation

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 04:43 AM PDT

    I'm very sure several of the experienced IT folks here have been polite, civil and all the things can be done during a resignation situation - and you do this "not to burn the bridge"; but the person/ people at the receiving end did not share the same courtesy and basically went nuclear and destroyed any remaining respect you had with them.

    How did you remain civil at the time? Any lessons learned/ advices would be highly appreciated ; (

    submitted by /u/runnersgo
    [link] [comments]

    how much is enough to know and learn to get a junior level job in cloud tech such as aws ?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    How much is enough to know and learn to get a junior level job in cloud tech such as aws ? with no previous it or tech support experience?

    what kind of roles are there that can be targeted to apply for a junior level position.

    submitted by /u/manuce94
    [link] [comments]

    How does this college program in networking look?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    I'm going to be starting this three year college program (with 3 co-op work terms) in September: https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/programs/internet-communications-technology/courses

    It's at a public college in Canada. I heard good things about it but was wondering if anyone in networking or who knows about the industry could take a quick look and give your thoughts?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/anewway2
    [link] [comments]

    Do grades matter outside of school?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:52 AM PDT

    If yes then what's better:

    Investing time in grades or in learning a new programming language.

    submitted by /u/IAmBeowulfOfTheEU
    [link] [comments]

    New to IT

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 06:34 AM PDT

    Hi I'm guessing this question has been asked many times but I tried scrolling and searching for an answer and couldn't. I graduated college with a nutrition degree and have been working in the healthcare field for 2 years now, but have figure out this isn't for me. I enjoy tech a lot and would love to make my way into the IT field! The only experience I have have is building a computer and fixing Apple laptops on the side (no certs) just following YouTube instructions. I've been researching and I just don't know what to do. I know I would have to start in a low paying entry level help desk job and move up (which is okay with me) but i was just curious if I should start working towards getting my CompTIA certification first? Also is it hard to get a job in IT without having your undergrad be in computer science?

    Thank you for taking your time and reading all of this. If anyone who has had any experience with not having their undergrad in IT but made it into the field, I would love to know how it is going for you!

    submitted by /u/4EyesIsBetterThan2
    [link] [comments]

    I completed my A+ last month and need help with my resume to get help desk jobs. Thank u.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 07:07 AM PDT

    [resume](drive.google.com/open?id=0B0h43gO4HBbDWjg3UTlrSEg2alY4Z0pxT0VGQzVvRzVtcVRJ)

    submitted by /u/eoyo1
    [link] [comments]

    Finding It Hard To Decide Between Sysadmin or Programming

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 02:16 AM PDT

    Hey all thanks for taking the time to read my question.

    I've been doing a lot of soul searching when it comes to what I want to do in the IT field I've been trying to learn programming but I'm not sure if it's my adhd or something but I just can't stand it. I get very frustrated and mad when I don't know where to start so I think to myself I should just go back to the basics but then I run into another problem which is my hatred for learning things that do not challenge me or interest me I find it physically painful.

    My other option is something I have experience with in the past which is a mixture of Networking, System Administration and Cyber Security I really like learning about these subjects and I love setting up lab environments on my pc but my only concern is that maybe these jobs will be automated in the future or just become irrelevant? I'm also concerned because I am unsure of what certifications I should get if any to show potential to any prospect employers.

    submitted by /u/Zapmaster14
    [link] [comments]

    Would it be appropriate to send my updated resume to a employer who turned me down before

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    Basically there's a level 1 helpdesk job that I had applied for back in April and I didn't end up getting it but I did know the guy who got the job. He might be moving in about a year and I would love to take his place there.

    It's in my hometown So I would be able to live with my parents there and it's also 25$ an hour. I think I would be dumb not to try and get a job there.

    Since April I have completed a 6 week placement aswell as worked a summer contract job so I feel like I have enough experience under my belt to perform well at this job. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/katahrii
    [link] [comments]

    2nd interview scheduled for first IT job. Is there any advice for someone not confident and not a people person?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 07:41 AM PDT

    Hi guys! Sorry for the weird title and wall of text.

    A little backstory. I have a long history of min wage ($7.25 per hr) jobs. I am 30 years old. I always was into technology and every job I have had has turned me into the guy who fixes the computers.

    At my last job I decided to quit and try for IT jobs. I have read a lot of posts on here and thought I never really had a chance at getting anything related to IT. After my first month I easily passed my A+ certification but then read about how useless it is. I studied for Network+ but decided to switch to Security+ because it seemed easier to me. I haven't taken it yet.

    During this time I decided to apply to a bunch of places. No responses or instant rejections was par for the course. Then I got an interview for a "desktop architect" position for a school district. It paid around 55k, has a bunch of benefits and wasn't a help desk tier 1 (I hate phones), so I figured I would use it as a practice interview since I had no chance haha.

    I went in, was drilled by 4 of the staff for about an hour, I forgot what DHCP stood for and explained the concept to the best of my ability, told them straight up I don't really care about pay (I know that is the worse thing I could do, but I tend to self-sabotage myself when I am nervous) and for my thank you emails I just told them how to do stuff or further explained questions I didn't think I accurately answered. Even though I watch videos and read books on the importance of confidence, attitude, EQ etc (basic interviewing skills), I always go in, go blank and panic.

    So I went back to studying again. Maybe more certs will help people ignore the crap I say. This morning I got a call that they had narrowed down the applicant pool to 3 people and I was to come in for a 2nd interview. I was so surprised I didn't panic. I said sure, set up a time, and didn't forget to say thank you and waited for them to hang up before I did.

    Now what? haha. I have never had a second interview before. Every job I have ever gotten was an instant hire. Usually the company needs a bunch of low wage employees and just have me sign some documents and come in on Monday. When left alone, I think I am pretty smart but I really have no proof and work life is usually about how well you communicate and work with others. All I have is a BA in English and one certification, A+.

    I really suck under pressure, especially in social situations. I know my self-confidence is low. My first thought about the other two applicants are that they are probably much more skilled than I am. I have read a lot about how enthusiasm gets you jobs and I feel like that is all I am running on. I honestly just talked about random stuff the entire time I was there.

    Servers? I have no experience. I did connect 5 laptops to a workstation running windows NT to upload every night to servers in Japan, but I was just guessing the entire time. I installed kali linux and scanned my ports, but that isn't even relevant to servers. I guess I figured "linux, servers usually run linux, kali linux". I am rambling, what was the question? Oh server experience! I set up a minecraft server on ubuntu once, does that count?

    That is how I talk, except I probably stuttered and mumbled half of it. I mean look at this post. I am at 3300 characters. I want to be honest and open, but I know this isn't correct. It's like playing chess and explaining to yourself how every move is wrong. I know why this is wrong, but that doesn't mean I know what is right.

    TLDR I have crappy social skills, high anxiety and low self-confidence. I got a 2nd interview for (what I consider) a really great job. Does anyone have any advice on how to shape up in 4 days without being dishonest. I want to put my best foot forward. The job itself seemed well within my abilities. It doesn't have to be advice. It can just be a story. I will read anything posted.

    submitted by /u/sayhitothehobo
    [link] [comments]

    Leaving difficult MSP - but the best boss I ever had. How to deal with regret?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 09:56 PM PDT

    I'm leaving the first serious IT career position I landed, and owe a huge amount to my current boss. He's always done right by me as much as he can as we work from separate cities (I work in the branch office).

    Unfortunately, my leaving is likely to cause a substantial amount of pain - I did a good job in my current role.

    Called him today to indicate I was on my way out, and it was a difficult conversation. He is likely to only be left with a inexperienced tech.

    I feel like I let him down.

    Any advice on separating out the feelings or moving forward?

    submitted by /u/bearstagg
    [link] [comments]

    Should i get a job if i can only work for 6-7 months?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 11:19 AM PDT

    Hey guys! Currently in highschool/vocational school (half day taking normal highschool classes english, god-awful math, and even worse history. Ugh. And the other half is networking and security).

    This is my last year of highschool and i plan on getting atleast 2 certs before i finish (cant go to college).

    Once i finish i will actually have to move out January/February pretty far away (about 9 hours).

    My question is should i get a job and work for those 6-7 months? Should i be gaining more knowledge? (well this i plan on doing regardless)

    Pretty much how should i go about gaining more experience within 6-7 months. And if the answer is get a job, when should i start applying (months before school ends?).

    submitted by /u/LordKagatsuchi
    [link] [comments]

    Am I throwing in the towel too soon?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    After spending 3.5 of college for a AAS in IT and getting my first real job as a lvl 1 help desk with no experience and no certs(company actually preferred people with no experience) I've finally broke into the field and I think I hate it.

    I miss going to work and just doing my job. Now, everyday is stressful and I don't know how to do some things daily, multiple times a day. I stress out that I'm not gonna make it. I dont like being stuck in a office all day with all dudes, I miss the diversity of people of a service job.

    Sadly having no gf ever is starting to get to me. Just about every night now I feel lonely and get that sick feeling in my stomach. I had chances, opportunity back in a service job but I'm just not going back to that pay/schedule.

    It just sucks, same thing everyday, same 12 or so people. I feel kept away from society with this job and career.

    Or is this just me adjusting?

    submitted by /u/anakin989
    [link] [comments]

    Got a job offer, but it's not what I applied for. Need help deciding whether or not to accept.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 06:35 PM PDT

    Background: I work at my company's IT helpdesk as a desktop technician and I have been a tech for about 5 years now. I am tired of the chaos and frustration/stress at helpdesk, but the coworkers/boss there are good. I don't mind it for the most part, but I REALLY want a new challenge and to learn more relevant and applicable skills so I can get a job somewhere else down the line instead of indefinitely being confined to lower-tier IT roles. I was encouraged to apply for a sysadmin position at my company several weeks back, so I did. And here we are now with an offer.

    BUT, and a big but, it was not the job I specifically applied for. There were two open positions, one old and one completely new. The one I wanted would have been Windows server administration (and a bit of web dev which sounded cool). This one that I was offered is Linux server administration and that will be 90% of it. I really don't know if I want to do this role, probably because 1. I am completely clueless at it and 2. from what I have dabbled in so far, I've been frustrated by it (but maybe this is due to not having a strong background in it). Let me first mention upfront though that the manager says he doesn't expect me to know it and just extended an offer based on my reputation and references, and said they just want me on the team and to grow.

    My ultimate career goal though: Windows server administration, VMWare administration, etc.

    Pros:

    • Offer is $55k and I am currently at $42k.
    • Commute the same obviously.
    • A chance to finally get into "enterprise" IT and get out of helpdesk. It gets me closer to where I want to go, even if it isn't exactly what I wanted.
    • I know the people there, and I like them, and everyone (I hope) tolerates me (or at least seems to). Mainly I haven't ruffled any feathers!
    • People I know there, internally, have commented that the environment is great and they like working there. The manager said they don't push people too hard and it's pretty laid back. They are willing to train and do not expect me to know anything right away. Specifically there are 5 other Linux sysadmins devoted either full time or part time to Linux roles so it's not like I would be on my own there.

    Here are the cons:

    • On-call (though not often, and honestly you're going to get that with any higher tier IT job).
    • Not what I am really interested in. I don't know right now if that's because I have a shaky background in it or if I'm just truly not interested. Haven't had that much experience yet. I keep thinking about that Windows sysadmin/web role and thinking "damn it!"
    • Management is changing there soon. Albeit not big huge changes but this department will be moved under a slightly new management team and new building. I have heard positive things though.

    Neutral considerations:

    • I live in a small town and these IT opportunities come around once in a blue moon. It could very well be another 2 years before another IT job comes along, and that is anywhere in town. There were a ton of applicants for these positions and I feel that on some level, being selected for the position says something.

    Thoughts? What should I be asking, if anything?

    submitted by /u/Electrical_Shoulder
    [link] [comments]

    Would a Masters or higher level cert suit me better?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 05:03 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I am trying to figure out what direction I want my career to go down and the best way to maximize my opportunities and salary. Yes, I know money isn't everything and I completely agree. However, there's no reason to not get paid well for being knowledgeable and good at your job.

    Current status: I am currently a sysadmin (but do work Network/DB/Security as well), have a BSIT, multiple certifications (Most recently CISSP), several years experience in IT, have a pretty decent job right now at a major Gov contractor company. I plan on staying in my current position for the next 2-4 years as I am overseas and am wanting to take advantage of being here. I could also use my time here wisely to help advance my career in the next step.

    My goal/next step: I would like to move into a more challenging job once this is done, preferably in the private world. Even though I'm a sysad right now, it's very limited to what we can do (yay Gov work) and is very specific to this overall program I work on. An ideal position would be going into the red team/ethical hacking realm. I really enjoy security, getting around things, etc.

    My question: To help facilitate that sort of job as well as being able to negotiate a better salary, would I be better off pursuing a Masters in Cyber Security (or related) degree or going for something like OSCP? My personal thought is the OSCP would hold more weight as it proves hands on knowledge, where a degree just says I could read a book and pass the tests (even if they are industry ones). However, I do know of people with Masters negotiating a higher salary and being rather incompetent at their jobs.

    TL,DR: Want to advance my career, have better room for negotiation in slight change to security realm, would Masters in Cyber Security or something like OSCP be better?

    What are your thoughts/opinions?

    Thanks in advance for your time!

    submitted by /u/Flat4ForLife
    [link] [comments]

    Entry-level security analyst tips?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    Have an interview as an entry-level security analyst at a big company coming up in a few days, and wondering what to expect.

    I have about 5 years of IT experience - none of it in security, but I have my Sec+ (among other certs), and have been doing what I can to learn on my own also.

    Just curious what kinds of things you're expected to know for a position like this.

    any tips?

    submitted by /u/GreekNord
    [link] [comments]

    If IT isn't a development oriented degree why do you have to take so many programming classes?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    At least at my school we had to take some of the same programming courses as cs and also other stuff like backend web dev and sql. I don't mind it but it seems weird.

    submitted by /u/jameypullthatup
    [link] [comments]

    What Advice can you give that would help someone get promoted faster ?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    okay i know it takes time to learn and get experience and that's a great factor in someone's career but what advices can you give to someone in order to help him get promoted even slightly faster or stand out in work ?

    submitted by /u/bo5mer
    [link] [comments]

    I have some questions and need advice ( Potienal IT remote job )

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 10:20 AM PDT

    Hello friends,

    Please forgive me if its a long/wrong sub post. (i only read this sub and I'm a reddit newbie)

    I applied to a job and after like a week of emails back and forth they asked me to have an interview the next day after sending that email in which I replied I will not available at that time because I'm on a vacation at the moment without my laptop and on an island with barely any access to internet (I didn't mention this reason thou I just said because of my schedule because I didn't want to give unnecessary details) and informed them I can have the interview anytime they want after 4 days.

    So they reply and say no problem but unfortunately the interviewer will be out of the office for a month and we can have the interview when he gets back if that suits me. I said no problem but I would like to know more details so I can utilize this long period of one month to do something useful related to the job either improve a certain skill or gain one if needed. They replied and said they wanted to update me regarding the job application because it has been put on hold right now because they are changing their systems and structures. They said they will reach out to me as soon as they resume the application process.

    So is this like "We'll call you back" and never do? Should I forget about this job?

    I have other plans I can focus on (other job offers) and I'm still at my current job while learning full-stack development.

    I have so many other questions related to the 'remote' part but maybe in ill ask in another post because I don't want to make this one too big or shift from the main question.

    submitted by /u/mozambiquehere420
    [link] [comments]

    Network Admins/cybersecurity experts, what am I doing wrong?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    Ok so I am currently (stuck) in helpdesk. I am in college studying to become a network administrator. I will often search on my free time for ways to improve my skills and knowledge only to find out I am doing it wrong. I will venture out into topics, programs, certs, and tools not at all relating to a network admin I guess? I think my approach to this could be the main problem. I keep thinking of this as a staircase. Helpdesk -> Network Admin -> Network Architect -> NOC-> Cybersecurity, something like this.

    So in my free time to "build up my skills" I started to approach Python. Then I was told python has nothing to do with being a network admin, unless I want to automate stuff but overall nothing to do. ok. Then I started to watch some vids on Azure, only to again be told this has nothing to do with being a network admin. ok. After that I tried to get some actual direction and wanted to approach a cert. I started with CEH+ but told that has nothing to do with becoming a network admin, same with CYSA+. I was thinking if I stuck to my path, these could prepare me for the future? Well I guess now I take my Netowork+ and shut up? That's it?

    idk It seems like rather than growing, like a ladder these careers are specifically contained? A network admin is only a network admin, a cybersecurity expert is only going to specifically target cybersecurity..etc? I'm helpdesk but I certainly don't want to be stuck Helpdesk.

    If there is a path, can someone please tell me what I should be doing? I'm a kid in a toy store but I need to know what skills specifically I need to educate myself and to be appealing to hiring managers. I decided to build my own home network, got a new router, modem etc. I'm also managing/hosting a website to get familiar with the ins and outs of that.. assuming it adds up to learning something, but again not sure if all of this is pointless for my path

    submitted by /u/nightlyblur
    [link] [comments]

    IT and tattoos

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    how many of you guys are tattooed where it is exposed and does it effect your job/do your superiors really care? are you required to cover them up?

    submitted by /u/phamdad
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else a bit skeeved out by the title engineer being thrown out everywhere?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:51 AM PDT

    I'm not an engineer, and maybe because I know a lot of engineers and because engineer is a protected title in Canada but seeing engineer in a job post makes me really wary of applying even if I know it's not a real engineering position.

    submitted by /u/2dudesinapod
    [link] [comments]

    Comfortable stable job but wanting more

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:33 AM PDT

    I am very lucky and fortunate enough to work at a government job making over 80K Canadian, as a Deskside Support. But I find myself just doing the same routine over and over, for the past 4 years. I'm at the point where I feel like I'm not challenging myself, and not utilizing my skill-sets. I consider myself a creative person, as I enjoy creating and developing (not so much programming) Art. I'm trying to figure out which IT Route I can take that involves being creative?

    I'm also debating if its worth it to move out of this company, and lose this comfort, or move within the company - maybe LV2. My options are developer, AWS Engineer, Azure. Does anyone have a similar situation or experienced this?

    submitted by /u/SupperTime
    [link] [comments]

    Inputs on a staffing company with a 6 months contract

    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    Hi guys I just need some input. I am from NYC, I just recently graduated and have a bachelor degree in IT, I had 1 prior IT internship as an IT support (unpaid/ 6months) needed for college credit. I have been job hunting since then with no avail, until a staffing company (Winston Staffing Services) gave me an offered me a contract for 6 months period (17$ per hr) for the position of IT Help-Desk, I did an interview with the client, asked them what happens after 6 months period, they said they don't know yet if they will hire me full time, or be on a renewal contract again.

    What do you guys think as a first real IT work experience ? should i take it and leave after 6 months ? thank you guys :)

    submitted by /u/Cloudofunknowing
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel