• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, August 3, 2019

    IT Career How to market myself for an IT career with no IT experience?

    IT Career How to market myself for an IT career with no IT experience?


    How to market myself for an IT career with no IT experience?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 05:36 AM PDT

    I'm looking to make a career change and as an almost 40 year old how do I compete? I have over 15 years of Pre Hospital Emergency care and Fire Service experience. I have little to no IT experience. I am ITF+ and currently working on A+. I know I wasted my time with ITF+ but ohh well.... I also have been accepted to a BS in Networking program and will be starting those classes this fall. I currently don't have a degree. The big things that I can think of to help me would be my leadership abilities and being able to work well in a team aspect as this is the main focus of pre hospital medicine. I can work in a fast passed environment and I have excellent critical thinking skills. Do you think this is what i should focus on in my resume and applications? Also while taking classes should I continue to obtain certifications? Thanks for any guidance.

    submitted by /u/emtp14
    [link] [comments]

    According to cscareerquestions having an IT degree is worse than having no degree?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 07:02 AM PDT

    Apparently its that looked down upon to choose instead of cs. I thought the main point of a bachelors is to get past hr but everything else was based off skills. Job postings usually say cs or degree in related field.

    submitted by /u/joe_rogen
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a list of all IT jobs?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 08:01 AM PDT

    I know the main areas of IT, but I'm just curious if there's a more specific list of all* IT jobs.
    (*Of course, I'm not expecting that it'll contain literally all of them as it's probably impossible)

    submitted by /u/CoolScarcity
    [link] [comments]

    Security IT

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 08:06 AM PDT

    Hey I'm currently working on my masters in IT at a decent school in the northwest and am interested in security. However I got a DUI my freshman year that got dropped no conviction. Would this hurt my chances cause my CS friends tell me the only jobs in security require a defense clearance however I'm okay working anywhere in security.

    submitted by /u/SeminoleSnake99
    [link] [comments]

    Leaving desktop support

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 10:34 AM PDT

    What's the best way to get out of help desk/desktop support type of jobs? How long should we stay in those type of positions before breaking free?

    submitted by /u/CyborgWade
    [link] [comments]

    What IT certifications are in-demand or required where you work?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 09:47 AM PDT

    Trying to get some honest data from real professionals concerning the certs that are in demand or required in the wild. For me, Security+ and ITIL Foundations are required.

    I have tried googling this question and I get articles that seem less than well researched.

    Hoping that this question will help me and others understand what the IT field is looking for.

    submitted by /u/sreese6
    [link] [comments]

    Guidance

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 09:42 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I'm here to seek some guidance. I have my Associates in Networking, A+, and a security clearance. I'm actually in the Army but, my job has nothing to do with IT field. I plan to get into the Networking field while I'm in the military, but if that doesn't work out I'll just pursue my bachelor's if I get out.

    My A+ is expiring this year so should I just get Network+ or Security+ in expanding my CompTIA certs? Should I pursue Cisco Certs while I'm in the service or work on my bachelor's? What would be the smarter move to make?

    submitted by /u/edean850
    [link] [comments]

    IT networking job dress code

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    so im starting a new job as an noc analyst; and i wanted to know what the dress code typically is? im gonna give hr a call on monday anyways so i can get an official response but i wanted to hear what you guys thought. first job in tech

    submitted by /u/Tequilaphasmas
    [link] [comments]

    Data Storage

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    Morning everyone, I'm currently a network admin for a small company. I'm working on my ccnp which should be completed before the end of this year.

    I have developed an interest for data storage (SAN). Can anyone recommend resources(books, online training and bootcamp) that covers SAN. From basics to advance features and configurations?

    Thanks! Much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/karjune01
    [link] [comments]

    What are some of the good recruiters in the Texas area?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    I am looking for a good software engineering job out of college in the Texas area (Austin, Houston, etc) and I was wondering if there are any recruiters worth pursuing to find a job. I have recently decided that I want to live in that area and am a bit overwhelmed digging through all of the job postings and finding companies that actually want to hire new grads (I just graduated with a Computer Engineering degree and 2 years of internship experience).

    submitted by /u/turtlintime
    [link] [comments]

    Being managed out of senior role - what to do next?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 06:22 AM PDT

    I've worked for the same digital agency for 16 years and pretty much helped build the company. I've moved up the ranks from developer to Operations Director. I have a solid tech background and have managed UX/FE and BE developers, as well as building and managing a PM team delivering high-value ecommerce sites.

    About a year and a half ago my boss asked me to take on the project management of a large project as we were short on PM capacity so I reluctantly agreed. This then turned into me being the busiest PM in the business. I did a great job, which was a mistake as it turns out.

    Now I'm in the situation where my boss basically wants to make the Operations Director role redundant and just wants me to do PM pretty much full time. We now have middle management in place that in his opinion has all the OD role covered.

    It's very distressing as I don't want to do PM but my boss says it's either that or take redundancy. I have to move jobs, I can't stay and the relationship between me and the MD is strained.

    I've been talking to other agencies looking for another senior role, but then I think - do I really want to go and do the same thing again? All my experience and knowledge is in Digital and I am passionate about it but maybe I should do something else?

    In my spare time I'm a pretty accomplished musician, writer and actor, and I'm thinking is this a crossroads where I go and do something I love? But I feel trapped by my current level of income, and worry about supporting my family.

    Any advice would be gratefully received!

    submitted by /u/definitely_burner
    [link] [comments]

    VMware Consultant Position

    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 05:55 AM PDT

    Hello everyone. This might not be the correct place, but I will give it a shot. I am interviewing for a position with VMware that will be through the IT recruiting firm Entelligance IT. I would be full time for Entelligance but would be completely on boarded by VMWare with their systems. (I.e. email address, vacation days, benefits, etc...). After 6 months I would be eligible for direct hire to VMWare. I am concerned that it is not a stable position even though they assure me it is not reliant on projects. But the recruiters are salesmen and will tell you anything. Has anyone ever done a position like this? What is it like, is it a stable position? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/StoicSow
    [link] [comments]

    IT career/School question

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 07:40 PM PDT

    📷

    I am currently looking to move to another major, although I am on the fence about whether I should generalize by degree or specialize at this point kind have been a JOAT, but definitely a master of none. I am currently working on a BS of Science in Networking and Telecommunications, but have shown some interest in network security. I do not have experience in this field, but would definitely like to work towards it.

    My two questions are:

    1.) Is it better to specialize, or generalize your IT degree/skillset ( I know I will get different opinions on this and that is what I am looking for) and why?

    2.) Does this look like a solid degree program? (download the program for online students towards the bottom):

    https://www.fhsu.edu/informatics/academic-programs/cyber-security

    I am also looking at this program (not security-related, but follows the JOAT of all trades/generalization portion)

    don't know much about this school any thoughts/opinions on this one? (the program can be downloaded from the page as well)

    https://csuglobal.edu/undergraduate/bachelors-degrees/information-technology

    I am currently half-way through my BS in another institution, but been pondering whether or not if I should specialize or generalize at this point. I am currently doing a Networking & Telecommunications track.

    Any advice/feedback from folks much smarter/wiser than me would be most appreciated.

    Thank you Brethren

    submitted by /u/ip-c0nfig
    [link] [comments]

    Beginning I.T. career - tips and advice

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 08:34 PM PDT

    I've landed my first I.T. position and as excited as I am for it, I'm nervous.

    I was a systems administrator for an application used by company. I had other major duties and this as a sys admin was secondary, to be frank.

    However as I'm going into a position as a full fledge sys analysis, I'm curios and nervous at learning a new tech. Also I have to get sec+ within a specific time frame, which I've been studying for.

    I suppose what I'm asking for is, for those who remember their first time getting that I.T. position:

    What was a valuable lesson you learned?

    What did you wish you started on day one to help ease the transition, or, that would have made your work productivity better; hindsight is always clear and distinct.

    What were red flags that you didn't see right away, in terms of a lack of professional development opportunities, that are generally important for a company to provide to its employees?

    Lastly - what traits should a competent sys analysis demonstrate?

    These are questions I'll be asking my employer on my first day, but I'd like to hear from this community as I've observed an overall balanced view from I.T. careers.

    submitted by /u/Dekaroe
    [link] [comments]

    Micro-Managing Boss

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 07:48 PM PDT

    Hey guys! I just recently started a new job as an IT manager for a small company that has no real structure. So far there have been a lot of random issues with the network and such that I was able to fix. Unfortunately, my boss who is NOT in IT hovers over me when I'm trying to fix an issues and gets somewhat mad when I don't have it fixed right away. For example today I was installing a new printer to his PC and for the life of me I could not install it as the drivers were not installing. I found a rule on the firewall that does not allow .exe or .dll files to be download. After about a half hour of trying to rack my brain around this he seemed to get mad that it was not getting fixed. I didn't have access to the firewall and figured it out and explained the issues. He seemed mad at me that there was a firewall rule that was set which I wasn't aware of. That's just one of the things and another was a website that didn't load for a user and he made the comment that it's because I was messing with the firewall, but turned out the site was decommissioned.

    How do I deal with this? It seems like he expects me to just know off the top of my head why an issue is happening that's out of my control. I have fixed many issues that were left behind but I feel like he is focusing on the issues I took longer than usual to fix. I have only been there for 2 weeks but I just can't handle the constant questions and then me explaining the issue and he doesn't understand it and asks follow up questions that are irrelevant.

    submitted by /u/meckboi1123
    [link] [comments]

    Best Move Forward?

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 09:00 PM PDT

    Quick Summary of my IT Career:

    -2 year Associate's in IT.

    -Total of 1 year, 3 months IT experience.

    -MCSE: Core Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016.

    -Currently working on my Powershell skills.

    -Crappy IT market, almost everything is federal government jobs.

    My current job is working with the federal government as a PC Technician as a contractor. I'm 3 months in and I'm already getting jaded. We're "Enterprise", so everything is compartmentalized with separation of duties. What that has meant in practice is that, with very few exceptions, any ticket that gets escalated will die in another team's queue. The customer will get angry with you, but you have neither the authority nor access to resolve their issue.

    The kicker is when your Tier 3 tells you not to use solutions from Google because they might not be approved in our high security environment, while also instructing lower Tiers to Google a solution to a problem before escalating anything to them. I've made suggestions on how to address our DNS issues that result in 1 out of every 5 computers not having a DNS record despite having checked into Active Directory in the past 2 weeks, which has gone entirely without response.

    In my mind I've already checked out, but I'm not sure if there's still any opportunity here. I'm sure an offer of promotion within this environment is something I would consider to be a personal insult, all things considered. I'm just not sure if I should try job hunting now or wait until I'm 11 months in before I start putting my feelers out, just so I don't give anyone the impression that I might be a job hopper (1st IT job was only for a year).

    I'm not exactly being micromanaged now, which is why I've written plenty of Powershell scripts to try to automate some things in my environment. But recent instructions have come down that make me feel like things are going to go FUBAR in the near future. I just don't feel like any effort to move on is worth it if I don't get outside of tech support roles.

    submitted by /u/N7Valiant
    [link] [comments]

    Six-month review looking great. Where to go from here.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 06:53 PM PDT

    I got my very first IT job six months ago and to put it frankly I'm happier than a pig in shit. While it's had it's moments of anxiety and terror, it's been a terrific run. Even better, my boss agrees and this week brought up the idea that a possible promotion from Junior SysAd is likely in my future.

    My question is where I go from here. I got my Sec+, my clearance, and great relationships with everyone I'm working with, but I don't yet have a resume I feel that can stand on it's own. I contacted Western Governors and was told that since my Bachelor's was in a non-IT field that I would need at least 3 years, or an "advanced certification" to qualify for their Masters program.

    My issue is I'm torn between things that would help for my CURRENT job, and things that would more specifically direct my future career. Everyone is saying Security is the future of IT and honestly I think that's where my interest ultimately lies, but I feel I still need to offer a bit more in my current role as an SA to shore up my employ-ability in the short term. I've gotten advice on everything from learning to be a Linux Admin, to going down the Microsoft cert path, to shoring up my networking skills and shooting for a CCNA.

    Where would you guys go from here for someone ultimately wanting to go down the InfoSec path?

    submitted by /u/Cyberhwk
    [link] [comments]

    Got accepted for an MIS Internship job pays $12.10/hr, what's the next step???

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    So yeah 25 hours a week, apparently I interviewed for the MIS Technician I and got passed over by someone else, however the interview went well and they offered me an internship with them instead. I'd like to get hired at with this company I'm doing this internship with. My job search for IT jobs hasn't been doing well.

    submitted by /u/mikeynike953
    [link] [comments]

    Bench tech needs a new gig

    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    I had been doing repairs and running a small computer shop for 10 years. Retail sales and on-site work in addition to phones and all repair work wore me out. I need to get on a less stressful more future proof path.

    What cert path will lead me away from a chaotic doing everything kind of environment toward a more focused kind of let the guy work kind od environment?

    submitted by /u/Robotuba
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel