• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, August 10, 2019

    IT Career Getting an Entry Level IT Job with no prior experience

    IT Career Getting an Entry Level IT Job with no prior experience


    Getting an Entry Level IT Job with no prior experience

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:46 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,
    I am a 29 year old Male graduated last year with a Bachelor of Commerce degree in Business Technology Management. I got a temp job with a bank doing accounting work but got laid off after 5 months due to job cuts. Its been difficult finding work and I have a one year gap on my resume. I want to start a career in IT because this is what I am passionate about, I have no desire to work in accounting. I am unsure what to do. Should I go back to school and do a community college IT diploma program with co-op to get my foot in the door or would it be faster, easier and cheaper to just get an A+ certificate and find a way in somehow? I would appreciate some suggestions because I am quite anxious because of my age and time doesn't wait for anyone. I just don't want to have any regrets or make costly mistakes because i'm not getting any younger.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/zeno-zoldyck
    [link] [comments]

    From Helpdesk to Cyber Security

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:17 PM PDT

    I want to make the move from Helpdesk to a Cyber Security entry level position because it seems really interesting to me and helpdesk seems to be all contractor type roles at the moment which sucks. Some of the job listings for a entry level Cyber Security position I see, include the below criteria in their listings:

    • Cyber Incident Response and Management
    • Data loss/theft prevention concepts and technologies
    • eDiscovery and digital forensics concepts and technologies
    • Threat Modeling fundamentals and penetration testing skills

    If anybody can point me in the right direction to be learning these whether it be an eBook, cert courses, or general advice on what to study/look at, I would be grateful for any direction! I want to make the switch over soon, hopefully that's realistic.

    Thanks!!!

    Edit*

    Just to clarify, I meant a starter/entry level role when I said "Consultant". Additionally, my current Helpdesk role is super limited with no way to advance and change roles or dip into- basically a dead end. I dont even have access to O365 admin console or the ability to create a DUO account for that matter ಠ_ಠ.

    EDIT 2* Removed the word "Consultant" and replaced with "entry level position" so that theres absolutely no confusion about my inquiry going forward.

    Thank you all for your responses - any additional input would be helpful!

    submitted by /u/ace101boss
    [link] [comments]

    Are any of my skills transferable?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 07:44 AM PDT

    Last year in my (non IT) job I had to build a web-based platform for our project. It involved a lot of XSLT and I fell in love with the whole experience of creating and problem-solving through code. (I probably worked three times as many hours as I was actually paid for, just tinkering and refining features.)

    I enjoyed it so much that I'm very seriously considering a career change. But I'm 35 and scared of the idea of having to start out at entry level only to find I'm too far behind to ever catch up.

    I have a PhD in a Humanities subject and have worked for five years as a university lecturer. So I have a lot of experience in managing projects, mentoring students, writing, researching, synthesizing information, and self-guided learning.

    On the other hand, all of my IT experience is self-taught and I also don't really understand what different roles are out there where any of my other skills might be marketable.

    Can anyone offer any advice?

    submitted by /u/Saidhbh
    [link] [comments]

    ITCareer Questions - Wiki Video

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    I did a live stream today where I went over IT Career Questions Wiki. I added in info from my own experiences and how it effected my Career.

    https://youtu.be/35x9xweWgi0

    I hope this video helps those that are trying to get into IT, or those that are working their ways up in their Career paths.

    submitted by /u/InTheShadaux
    [link] [comments]

    Leap of Faith

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 05:13 AM PDT

    I'm about to leap of faith move to Raleigh NC. Has anyone here done it before?

    Network/Systems engineer with 5 years exp 24 years old.

    I have about 6k liquid saved up and I'm so tired of the state I live in having 0 jobs or room for advancement, I have a friend down there that will let me rent a room for super cheap.

    Any tips on finding jobs or networking?

    I was thinking about driving Uber and doing short term contracts until I found a job.

    What do you all think?

    submitted by /u/NetworkingSucks
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone offer examples of Python in the IT world? Non-CS/non-developer.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 09:57 AM PDT

    I only worked computer support for a couple years at one place, and currently work in data analytics using Python. While I'm fully aware that Python is an awesome tool, I'm curious how it's used in an IT infrastructure support team.

    Someone mind shedding light with some examples?

    submitted by /u/DataBar
    [link] [comments]

    Was anyone able to get an IT job with just the certifications and if so what was your starting pay?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    I was wondering would the certs help you get a decent job in IT if they are all you have. I was able to get an IT internship during the summer and my employers are training me in networking So I was wondering would I be able to get a job in IT without certifications but will have the experience. They are actually trying to extend the internship to make it a part-time position. I wouldn't know how much to expect or ask for though.

    submitted by /u/Abyz963
    [link] [comments]

    College IT Helpdesk advice

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:57 PM PDT

    I'm currently going into my junior year of college majoring in Business with a concentration in IT. I started working at my school's helpdesk last year and I feel like I'm not learning much. I've been basically just showing students how to print, connecting to Wifi, forwarding tickets to other departments, and really nothing too technical.

    Would it be out of my place to ask my supervisor if I could work with networking/systems department instead (or shadow a day or two a week)? I feel like this is more of a customer service role and I'm not gaining anything from it for after college. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or anything I just want to learn more to be ready for a junior sys admin/ NOC type role.

    I'm hoping to get an internship at a business close to my school next year but I would rather have something on campus.

    submitted by /u/ITeasy99
    [link] [comments]

    Going to start school for IT. How hard is it to get remote jobs with it? What path should I go down?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:45 AM PDT

    Hey all so in starting IT degree soon. I'm a military vet and have a degree in something else and I was wondering how hard is it to get a remote job in this field? This is excluding customer service jobs. For me to find remote work is it better that I focus in the Security aspect of IT? Will I learn some kind of basic programming?/code

    submitted by /u/halfam
    [link] [comments]

    Is one internship enough to break into the field?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:31 AM PDT

    I understand there's not a clear cut magic number of internships one is supposed to have, but I am entering my junior year now and was not able to secure an internship this time around. I am working towards pursuing my CompTIA Security+, as I am aiming for an internship at least Summer 2020 so at least I have something to put down when I graduate in May 2021 from my cyber security engineering degree. I also recently got a part time help desk job as well and am a part of cyber related clubs at my school as well. I was wondering if I would be fine, and what would be reasonable salary expectations for a recent graduate with my credentials. Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/Anonomy13
    [link] [comments]

    Confusion about my internship

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 04:26 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    About 4 days ago, I got an internship offer from my one of my university's professor to work in his startup company. I did not think much at that time and happily accepted the offer but when I turned up in the location, I found out that there were only three developers in his company. He is developing an education-related mobile app where students can sign in to find tutors in nearby locations and tutors can find students. I thought I would be learning from one of the senior developers but I realized that one of the developers is an Android developer, another one is an iOS developer and another one is an intern as well. He wants me to develop the whole admin panel web application (which is pretty complex) for the mobile application using Node/Mongo in Backend and React/Redux in Frontend. He wants me to handle the whole project with the help of another intern( who basically knows nothing about React/Node). I am in my last year of Uni (full-time student) and have to do a capstone application project in my last semester and I also work part-time in retail about 15 hrs/week. He wants me to dedicate about 25-30 hours per week in the internship which is unpaid, I don't think I really can juggle so many stuff in my life. I don't know if the internship is even worth as I will not learn much from any senior developer and will have to do pretty much full-stack development on my own for free in such an expensive city like Sydney. I think it is a bit unfair to demand so much from an unpaid intern and I feel like he is using me. Do you guys think I should decline the internship and quit and find better job opportunities? He is still my professor in Uni and if I decline it will be kind of odd for the rest of my semester but on the other hand, I don't think it is really a good opportunity to learn and flourish at all. Do you think I should send him an email and politely decline the internship? Please, I need some suggestions guys.

    submitted by /u/JaxonFlexonWaxon
    [link] [comments]

    shortage of it people?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:57 AM PDT

    Is it true that there is a big shortage of it help desk people like training companies claim?

    submitted by /u/Falcon4617
    [link] [comments]

    Teacher wants to retrain to become a project manager

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 03:42 AM PDT

    I'm strongly considering retraining to become a project manager. After reflecting on my work experience and strengths, I've realized that I really enjoy planning a project, working with other people, and moving forward step by step. I've got good people skills, strong communication and writing skills.

    I have a masters in education. I started out teaching remedial math classes in public schools for ESL, inclusion students (students with learning disabilities, and low performing students. Moving students through a year of math is a major project. I worked with the lead teachers and math coach to make new curriculum, teach it, assess student learning, and retaught. At the end of the year, students had made measurable improvements.

    Then I moved to the nonprofit sector. In the nonprofit sector, I always had highly entrepreneurial roles that involved rolling out and expanding new programs, finding and getting new partners and volunteers on-board with my projects, creating operational procedures, training/managing staff, running membership campaigns and fundraising projects with measurable success. I had a part in assessing the program success with outside consultants and getting new funding. I also worked with web developers to plan and create a website for one of our programs. (The website/technology is not too impressive because it was all done with internal talent the nonprofit could afford a few years ago. I don't mean to be rude, it's just the reality).

    Last year, my personal life took a bit of turn, and I needed some time off. I moved abroad, traveled, and have been teaching English privately. But I'm ready to get back to my career and anticipate needing some training to move on.

    1. What certifications or degrees should I be looking at?
    2. Can you give me advice on choosing an area to specialize in? I was initially thought that my non-technical background would eliminate the possibility of being a project manager in IT. But the software engineers I know have told me that non-coding project managers exist and are becoming more common.

    Any other ideas, advice or other considerations I should take into account would be really appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/foodmonsterij
    [link] [comments]

    So, how was everyone's Friday?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 03:32 PM PDT

    Nice and smooth for me. Found out that stamps.com is a devil send however, their tech support is terrible 🤯

    submitted by /u/Zakdaq8
    [link] [comments]

    Currently in a small business making $50K with benefits, Can I make more?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 10:47 PM PDT

    So I have my A+ cert, and currently studying for Net+/CCNA. I'm setting up a home lab to learn more about active directory and GPO and stuff.

    I'm currently making $50,000/yr plus benefits in a two man IT office, my manager being the system admin/network technician and my being the desktop support technician. I have worked here for a year now. I've been working with computers all my life and official experience wise, I have 4 years under my belt. What can I do realistically, to make $80,000/year or is this a reach?

    Should I reach out to recruiters like teksystems/robert half or apply directly?

    Provided my resume, I live near the tristate area (NYC,CT,NJ)

    submitted by /u/jgooby
    [link] [comments]

    Experience vs education?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2019 01:26 AM PDT

    Recently been trying to get an entry level IT job. Been having some difficulty's because I have a 1 month temp position and a A+ cert under my belt and that's it .

    So I'm thinking should I go back to school ? Or just keep applying and get more experience under my belt ?

    I want to get a bachelors in. CS but am worried that I'll face the same problem I do now just with more debt

    submitted by /u/Oregongrown96
    [link] [comments]

    projects to help me learn Linux server or Active Directory?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 02:08 PM PDT

    I'm an IT student and I'm about to graduate this fall. It's semester break right know so I got extra time on my hands.

    I installed Ubuntu server, Ubuntu desktop, Windows server 2016 (using one free key from school), and windows 10 on Virtualbox. So far I've gave the Ubuntu server a static IP address using netplan and used ssh to connect to the server from the Ubuntu desktop. Just some little things... Also want to mess with active directory and the windows command prompt.

    I just want some ideas of projects that would involve tasks that would be done in a "real world" job environment.

    submitted by /u/ArAMITAS
    [link] [comments]

    What's your passion in IT? What made you go forward?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    What made you get into that field. Was it money? The interest? I'm just curious since I'm a IT desktop tech (for now) and I want to expand my horizons in IT but I'm not sure which way I want to go.

    I want to do it for the passion/interest rather than income. I'm already making enough to live comfortable means

    submitted by /u/lovetokki
    [link] [comments]

    Inexpensive Apple IT Certifications?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 11:47 PM PDT

    Hello, I have a question about Apple IT Certifications. I have passed the CompTIA A+, Network+ and am working on Security+. When I finish the Security+ I'm hoping to do either the Google IT Support Professional Certificate on Coursera or some Apple certifications. So far, my certification journey has been fairly straightforward: buy a book and read it, watch lots of free videos online, do free online research of terms and acronyms (Thank you Wikipedia), do lots of free practice exams (Thank you Exam Compass and Crucial Exams), pay a nominal fee for an inexpensive iPhone study app, and, when I feel that I'm ready, take the exam and pass it.

    The Apple certifications seem to be more difficult to access. Documentation is more difficult to find online. When I do find documentation, the classes cost either $1,400 or $2,100 for a short three or four day class. Because I am self-sponsoring (my employer won't be paying) I'm looking at paying all of my own expenses. Are there any Apple certifications that are more similar to the CompTIA certification process? Something simple and/or inexpensive that involves personal development by just studying rather than plugging into Apple's super-expensive but financially out-of-reach certification process? I'm not saying that I don't have the money to pay for Apple certifications, but if I took all of the Apple certifications that I would Love to take, the costs would be higher than $20,000! Are there any reasonably-priced Apple certifications or a certification process available online that will give me a good working knowledge of Apple IT and will give me believe-ability with an employer but won't "break the bank"?

    submitted by /u/GoldenAnthurium
    [link] [comments]

    Entry level opportunities in Los Angeles?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 04:07 PM PDT

    I'm born and raised in the San Fernando valley and was curious as to how those from the la county area have faired when applying for entry level positions such as help desk or desktop support? Also, if they've worked elsewhere how does it compare? I've been unlucky for the last few months and was considering making the move to the east near either Raleigh or Boston.

    submitted by /u/Undrlord
    [link] [comments]

    Working as the only IT person in the company vs. working on a team - which is better?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:36 PM PDT

    I've been working on a small team at a large company for quite some time (as a jack of all trades - sysadmin, network admin, software development, databases, etc). It's good to have people to bounce ideas off of, but there are politics to deal with as well.

    There is an opening at a small company closer to home (30 minutes away instead of 45). The owner used to do the IT work but the company is growing so they are looking for an IT person. It's a similar job than what I have now.

    Is this something that I should consider or are there drawbacks to being the only IT person (that reports directly to the owner) that I'm not thinking of?

    submitted by /u/Apollo7214
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice about cover letters for jobs that are out of state.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:15 PM PDT

    Hello every,

    I am trying to find a job that is in a different state from where I live. I understand that it is harder to find a job out of state job then if I was a local, so I am trying to make my application as appealing as possible. I am struggling in regards to how I am suppose to write my cover letter. This is what I am considering using.

    "To whom it may concern,

    Thank you for considering my application. I am currently not based in the Salt Lake City area but I am seeking to relocate immediately after receiving an offer. I can relocate to the Salt Lake city area quickly and at my own expense. I am also able to travel to the Salt Lake City area for in person interview.

    Thank you,

    My Name"

    Is this considered an acceptable cover letter? Should I change or add anything?

    I would appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/daleef
    [link] [comments]

    What should I even do? Fresh graduate looking for advice.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 04:52 PM PDT

    Hello all, I'm cross posting this on a couple techie based communities I'm active on but posting on this throwaway just because.

    I use to work in restaurant/fast food management. I was really successful at it, by 18 I was an AGM and then made GM and was pushing 55k yearly before I hit 20. I never minded the work but I always wanted more, hence college.

    I started school about 3 1/2 years ago. I worked full-time starting out and then moved across the country to live with my parents to go to school and left my job behind.

    I finished my associates in management information systems and didn't really have any luck finding a job. I brushed it off and just stayed with my parents and got my bachelor's in technology development and management with my "major" in data science and analytics - which has just passed.

    I've applied to literal hundreds of jobs and internships combined, ranging from unpaid internships, minimum wage help desk, and jobs way above my skill level.

    I'm applying to jobs in my realm of focus, ranging into business, health informatics, different things within the technology realm and no luck.

    I've had a total of two actual offers, one claiming it was data entry and analysis but when I arrived it was a "typewriter" position for an outside auction company, and one local chiropractor that offered me a front desk receptionist/accountant/data entry/medical billing and coding position that was pretty sketchy and part-time.

    I went through two extensive internship offers from one major retailer (was competing for two different roles through their company), and then one from a local company doing business intelligence but ended up being declined for both unpaid internships.

    Im actively tweaking my resume, trying to network and getting coaching. I'm always looking for ways to improve. I apply to jobs through every platform, even Craigslist.

    I'm just not sure what to do. I'm not giving up, I'm young and I have time but it's just getting to me. It's been rough and it's just a slap in the face because I left a perfectly good job and life to go to school and get my degree like everyone rant and raves about.

    I'm sure I could easily get into the food industry again and make really good money, but I'm just reaching for anything relevant to technology or even business-y at this point. I get VA benefits and I'm going to start a master's degree this term just because I guess.

    I live in Florida, and there's not many "tech" positions around here to begin with in my area and I've considered just leaving the state all together but I'm not sure where to go.

    What job titles should I look for? Obviously I would hate to work for $7.75 but if I have to I will. Is there any states on the east coast that are worth looking into? I've heard good things about Raleigh/Durham and places like NY, but it would be hard to move so far and work for so little.

    Should I just give up? I can easily get a food based job and make really good money by tomorrow, but I don't know. It just sucks. I'm not sure what to do. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/dumbtechieta
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel