• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Friday, August 9, 2019

    Home Networking I'm getting ddosed because someone who im not friends with anymore got my IP a year ago.

    Home Networking I'm getting ddosed because someone who im not friends with anymore got my IP a year ago.


    I'm getting ddosed because someone who im not friends with anymore got my IP a year ago.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    Basically about a year ago my friend invited me to his gaming team's teamspeak for a bit and I guess I didn't use a vpn because I trusted him. Fastforward to today I joined a rival team and the leader of his team got really upset about it and ddosed me for 9 hours straight the other day. I tried resetting my router and turning off my router overnight but I don't think my ip changed from what i saw when i ran ipconfig on command prompt. Is there a way I can change my ip without my parents finding out? I can give router information and such if it helps, it is a Verizon G1100.

    submitted by /u/legacy_v2
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie question about the OSI Model

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:01 PM PDT

    I have been doing some self-study on networking. Question, what exactly is the OSI Model? (I get the 7 layers, etc.). But what is it? Is it a description of what is going on in your network? Is it an illustration of what the network does, in an abstract form? Does it relate to the actual data activities in the network? (edit: does my router have seven separate 'networks' for each connection?)

    I'm just trying to conceptualize how this relates to a real world network, is it a description of the network or what have you.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Yttrium_9192
    [link] [comments]

    How can I use a VPN provider with pfSense?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:37 PM PDT

    I know I've seen guides before, but for some reason my Google Fu is failing me at the moment.

    I have a pfSense box at home already. I want to leave the main LAN config as is, create an additional interface on the pfSense box, and have any Internet requests from hosts coming in that new interface routed through a VPN provider like NordVPN, PIA, etc.

    NordVPN have a tutorial, but it looks like it applies to all outbound traffic. I only want to apply the VPN to hosts connected to a given interface and have all of the other interfaces access the Internet normally (i.e. no VPN).

    submitted by /u/vrtigo1
    [link] [comments]

    Linksys Router & Samsung Smartcam

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:24 PM PDT

    Both the above mentioned electronics worked together just fine until I had to factory reset my router.

    I can see the camera in my wi-fi list but it fails to connect every time. I am wondering if it is a setting in my router and what setting I should be looking at to correct the issue.

    Hoping someone can explain like I'm 4-1/2...Not tech savvy.

    submitted by /u/zomezingorother
    [link] [comments]

    help blocking specific advertising ip addresses with my verizon quantum g1100 router?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:23 PM PDT

    I gave gigabit with verizon using the quantum g1100 router. I have searched all the settings on the routers admin page but I am unable to locate where to block ip's.

    any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/Rdy2Lrn
    [link] [comments]

    HUAWEI ROUTER. Model: HG659. Name: Home Gateway. PARENTAL CONTROLS

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:09 PM PDT

    Can anyone please help me? I have set the urls in the filter to protect my family from R 18 sites and then saved the settings. But when I test if the site is blocked it still loads and shows R 18 content. Am I doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/Lance-Desmond
    [link] [comments]

    I just got internet and wifi doesnt work

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 06:46 PM PDT

    Ive connect my own wifi router to the modem and I cant connect. I factory reset it and I it says the factory password isn't correct. I can get ethernet to my computer from the modem. but not wireless from the router to any device.

    i tried going to 192.168.1.1 as its my factory router ip address and I wont go.

    I have the wires hooked up right. cat5e from modem to internet port on router.

    any help appreciated

    edit: figured it out. Might have plugged into the wrong port on the modem.

    submitted by /u/nick18a
    [link] [comments]

    MESH vs APs for home network

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    Hi All! We recently bought a large house and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up my network. The house is wired with Cat 5E cables, and I have FIOS with their gateway router. The cellular data at my house is not great, so I rely on my wifi to make phone calls. I also have a desktop computer that I would prefer to have plugged in via ethernet. My question is this: Do I install a set of access points (such as ubiquiti) at the ethernet ports around the house? Or do I install a mesh network and use the ethernet for backhaul? I initially set up some old routers as access points, but the problem I am running into is that because they all broadcast different SSIDs, my phone calls drop as I walk between rooms.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ChronoGTM
    [link] [comments]

    Inset network cabinet or wall-mount shelf?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 06:16 PM PDT

    Having been mostly in dorms and apartments until now, I've had all my networking gear just out and about in the general office area. Having recently purchased a home, I am thinking about how to properly centralize my gear, and have decided that I want to either use a recessed wall cabinet (like this guy) or some sort of wall-mount rack/shelf/thing.
    Whatever the solution ends up being, it will end up housing our modem, a Ubiquiti ER-X, and likely at least one raspberry pi. I will (eventually, when I get around to running ethernet) have ethernet going up into the attic to feed our access point, and likely a drop going into the home office (the current plan is to put the network gear in the closet of a bedroom that I do not intend to use as my home office, but that I may end up putting some server gear into -obviously ventilation becomes more of a concern at that point, but I digress).
    So my question is whether anyone has any insight to offer which may help the decision of doing the inset wall box vs some sort of shelf, and maybe guidance on placement. "Structured media enclosure" seems to give me the most hits of what I'm looking for in terms of the inset wall cabinet, but even that seems to be hit-or-miss; is there a better search term to use? Brands to favor/avoid?

    submitted by /u/JBu92
    [link] [comments]

    DNS, Port Forwarding, and multiple private subnets

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:46 PM PDT

    My setup:

    Internet -> ISP Router -> WiFi router and devices -> pfsense firewall and wired devices including Plex server

    I need to allow traffic from the wifi private network (192.168.x) to the plex server behind the pfsense firewall with a separate private network (192.168.y) on it's WAN interface.

    I assume I need to:

    1. open/forward ports on pfsense to allow traffic from it's WAN to the plex server behind the firewall on the LAN.
    2. create DNS entries to route traffic on the WiFi network to the other private subnet behind pfsense .

    I think I know what I need to do for #1, it's #2 I need help with. Can anyone point me to another thread here in the forums that may already answer my question (I did search, but didn't find anything) or point me in the right direction?

    How will my one private network, know to be routed to the other private network when I open plex, or a browser and type in one of the hostnames from that other network?

    I'm sort of new to networking, but have the basics down.

    Let me know if I should provide more details.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Treysin
    [link] [comments]

    I need to bypass some UDP ports blocked by my isp

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    it's ports 50000 to 50003 UDP blocked by my isp. (Voip ports for dark souls 3)
    VPN is too overkill and slows down everything else.

    I cant change my isp, it's the only isp nationwide, cant talk to them either since they're so incompetent, and trust me I've tried many, many many times.

    So what are my options?
    I've been looking at ssh tunneling with putty, it speaks vaguely of portforwarding but i don't really know if it's an option or if i'm just getting down the rabbit hole.

    Also, I tried proxifier, wich can make use of a proxy only for some specified ports, but i think it only works with TCP ports, not for UDP.

    Also, i've heard while searching about making use of vpn only for certains ports, but most of those talks involve hosting a server wich is not what i'm trying to do.

    Can someone guide me through this please?

    submitted by /u/Zorkanne
    [link] [comments]

    Will using a USB to RJ45 adapter work on my modernish Asus router

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:31 PM PDT

    My router has stopped communicating with my modem and I've troubleshot the hell out of it figuring out what exactly is wrong (Yes even power cycling). And my conclusion is that the RJ45 connector may be dead. Now this router is newer and has a USB 3.0 next to the RJ but I'm uncertain buying a USB to ethernet dongle to circumvent the broken port would actually work. Especially since most dongles I've found may need drivers installed just to work.

    My question is has anyone dealt with a similar problem and fixed it this way? I'd hate go out and get a new router since everything else seems to be working fine and a dongle would be the cheapest way to fix

    submitted by /u/ButterbotC137
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get the latest vuln script for nmap on Windows?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 05:15 PM PDT

    Hi,

    So recently I have been toying with scanning all my network devices with vuln script in nmap (nmap -v --script vuln <host>). I have latest version of nmap for Windows, which is 7.70 but going into Program Files > Nmap > nselib, I can see that vuln.nse and many other scripts are from March 2018, so well over a year old.

    Is anyone anywhere keeping this list of vulnerabilities up to date? If so, how do I update it? If it's not possible for Windows, I don't mind spinning up a simple linux VM for this. How should I go about it?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/reni-chan
    [link] [comments]

    Help choosing coaxial wall jack and coaxial cable

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 04:54 PM PDT

    I need to purchase a coaxial wall jack for use with cable internet.

    Something like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/wSihbDdn517rtt9QA

    But I'm getting confused on the specifications.

    Sometimes I'll see a frequency listed: 2.4 or 3 gHz.

    Sometimes I'll see impedance of 75 ohms listed.

    What are the ideal specifications? And is this the same for the actual coaxial cable that will run from the jack to my cable modem?

    Also, can I use the bottom wall jack and place a metal wall plate over that without shorting or causing interference or decrease in bandwidth?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Nrrve
    [link] [comments]

    Question on purchasing a modem/router for my home.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 03:34 PM PDT

    I currently get my internet through xfinity, and pay $13 per month to rent a modem. The modem I rent from them is the Technicolor TC8305C. I would like to purchase my own modem and stop renting one from xfinity, however im not sure exactly what I need. What is the difference between a router and a modem and which do I need? What do I need to look for to ensure that whatever I purchase will be compatible with xfinity?

    Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/cool_kid_coolidge
    [link] [comments]

    Options for installing Ethernet in laminate+concrete floored flat

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    I want to look at running Ethernet cable about 10m from the modem to my computer/etc. in a single floor flat. Unfortunately this includes going across a hallway and most the way around/across the living room. Each room is laminate flooring on concrete. I am not sure on how UK new-build low-rise ceilings and walls are constructed exactly, visible external walls are brick.

    Is there any possibility for running cables under such flooring? I think for most of the distance behind the skirting board will be OK, but I need to get across the hallway. Is it worth investigating the construction of the walls or ceilings?

    And for a distance of <20m (if went around the edges), is their any downside to pre-made cat 6 stranded patch cables? I know for permanent runs solid core is preferred, but the distance is short and stranded seems easier to come by in smaller quantities. Initially for gigabit, 2.5/5/10G as devices become more cheaply available.

    submitted by /u/SyncViews
    [link] [comments]

    Non invasive cable routing for 12 months

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 11:44 AM PDT

    I'm renting an apartment and wanted to run an ethernet cable or two across the floors,under doors etc.

    Currently I'm just holding it down with a few pieces of masking tape, however the vision of washing the residue at the end of the year isn't too appealing.

    Is there any method you would recommend that doesn't leave holes in walls? I was thinking maybe blutack or something to that effect.

    submitted by /u/materiagravis
    [link] [comments]

    switches and routers: new mid-range small ones vs older enterprise gear

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 03:18 PM PDT

    I just purchased a house and I am looking forward to setting up the ultimate home network. I want a 16+ port managed switch with some 10Gbit ports for setting up a home NAS. Although I am hesitant given the prices! I decided against 10G since it's not affordable yet, but having a managed switch would be very valuable.

    Even gigabit managed switches get pricey! the tiny 5 port ones can cost over $50, and then I am looking at around $100 for the 8 port ones. Then I explored the used section of eBay. It seems many older model enterprise switches are getting listed for very low prices. I found a GS724Tv3 listed used in excellent condition for $45!

    What am I missing out on or what should I be aware of if I buy an older (around 5yo) network switch when compared to something of a similar price point brand new?

    submitted by /u/Power-Max
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative to Parsec that can downscale?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 02:33 PM PDT

    My parsec host runs at 2560x1440. I use a Pi with Parsec on my TV to remote into my PC from the couch. However, the TV is 1920x1080 and when I connect via Parsec, it forces the host to change its resolution.

    Ideally, I would leave the client always connected to the host (same, internal network), but again, this causes downscaling on both client and host. Is there a Parsec alternative that only downscales the client?

    submitted by /u/sockrocker
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear Orbi RBK23 vs TP-LINK Deco M5

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    There's currently a discount on the Orbi and a coupon so it costs about 225$ (plus taxes) and the Deco M5 costs 175$, sometimes it has a 20$ coupon. With the coupon on the Deco the difference in the price 90$ (with the taxes included), is the Orbi worth the extra 90$? My house isn't exceptionally big and bith deals are for the 3 pack.

    submitted by /u/Razafon
    [link] [comments]

    NAS

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:37 PM PDT

    If I make a Network Attached Storage. Say the wifi stops working is there any way I can access the files on the NAS? (MAC) and iOS

    submitted by /u/BJskywalker
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless Recommendations. Mesh versus Upgraded Router.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 09:45 AM PDT

    I recently moved my home office from the center of my house into the far end of the basement along with my internet connection and wireless router. Since then, I have been having issues with connectivity on the far end of the house. (1,400 sq ft bungalow).

    I currently have a fairly old Netgear N900 WNDR4500v2 which has been solid and reliable up to this point.

    My internet comes into the house through ethernet and is setup as a bridged connection to my router. I only have 10Mbps/3Mbps service as I'm on rural wireless internet. All my computers and garage are connected through ethernet, and I run a media server with several Roku boxes which primarily uses the wireless and this is where I have been seeing issues.

    Whatever replacement I get needs to have have access to configurations for port forwarding, dynamic dns and such since I have several servers running. The more options and configurations I have available, the better. Some VPN options as well would be awesome (PIA). Either that or leave the existing router, shut off wifi and just setup wireless AP's.

    I'm not sure whether to replace the router, and hope the new models have better range or setup a mesh network, and I'm looking for any options.

    For a mesh setup, ideally it should support both wireless and wired backhaul.

    submitted by /u/mxdev
    [link] [comments]

    Access Point Help

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 01:16 PM PDT

    I have 3 access points for my lan and one access point for my Guest Network (different interfaces)...The 3 access points I have for my LAN have always been set to auto (channel, MHz) but now that I have a guest AP, I am getting mixed results on speed. Should I have all of my APs on the same channel, including guest? Should I have them all on different channels? What is best practice as far as channels and MHz goes in this situation? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/WetFishing
    [link] [comments]

    Will CARP be supported by a 'noname' router provided by my ISP?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    I want to set up a highly available pfsense cluster for my homelab environment.

    Both pfsense vms will be connected to the 'noname' cable router provided by my ISP (CBN CH7466CE) and will also obtain IPs from the internal DHCP of that abnormation called router.

    Will this monstrosity support this setup?

    submitted by /u/BabaJega1911
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Advice - Switching to Ubiquiti

    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    I'm currently using a Linksys EA8300 (worst experience I've ever had) and I've done a ton of research on options, but I still lack a lot of baseline technical knowledge. If someone could help answer some of these questions I'd be eternally grateful.

     

    • Pros and cons of USG/edgerouter vs.using my linksys router with the wi-fi turned off into the Ubiquiti AP?

    • Can I set up Unifi Controller one time and not worry about it most of the time? Or do I need to get the cloudkey? Setting up a server is not a reasonable option.

    • My household has a handful of IOT devices, a lot of streaming, and a fair amount of gaming being done. The gaming is mostly hardwired. Is ubiquiti the best option for a household like mine, or am I better off grabbing an AC-86U or similar?

    • Bonus question: If I was able to get OpenWRT working on my current router would I alleviate a lot of the issues I'm having? (SSID not showing up, frequent dropouts, inconsistent throughput)

     

    Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/Jodok
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel