• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Monday, August 12, 2019

    Girlfriend needs a folding laptop/tablet for handwriting class notes, but is also wanting to do some light gaming.

    Girlfriend needs a folding laptop/tablet for handwriting class notes, but is also wanting to do some light gaming.


    Girlfriend needs a folding laptop/tablet for handwriting class notes, but is also wanting to do some light gaming.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:49 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $1200-$2000 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. She wants decent battery life and a fold-over touch screen.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? She specifically likes thin, minimalist designs. She loves the MacBook aesthetic but is after a Windows laptop.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows 10.

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. Nothing above ~15" (maybe a little flexible on that)

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Primary use is for University work and class notes, but she is looking to do some light gaming - mostly strategy and management games (the Sims, Planet Coaster etc.), so CPU is probably more important. I'm thinking GPU would be fine with an MX150 or equivalent.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? She's coming from a 2014 MacBook Air so anything is an improvement lmao

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? As mentioned, the main factors are:

    • fold-over touch screen

    • slim, minimalist design

    • moderately decent GPU (MX150 is fine)

    • minimum ~500gb storage

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. Please quote prices in Australian dollars. I know she's looking for something pretty niche, but hopefully we find something. Thanks guys :)

    submitted by /u/KingOfBurrito
    [link] [comments]

    Writer and editor, USA, $500-$850

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 07:38 PM PDT

    Total budget and country of purchase: $500-$850, USA

    • *Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Good battery life is important. Don't need it to be 2-in-1.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Fairly important. I do a lot of traveling with my writing.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows, please

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 16"+

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I will occasionally need to run Adobe creative suite programs, but mostly document editing, web browsing, Skype, playing back video/audio while editing docs (interviews, e.g.)

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? N/A

      • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Comfortable keyboard for small hands, no touch screen needed, good audio, resilient for travel

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    submitted by /u/knottyninjagirl
    [link] [comments]

    Need laptop capable of VR for ~2 years, thinking Lenovo Legion but not sure which one or what graphics card will hold up

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 05:30 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: $1000-1200 (ND, USA), but can stretch a bit further to like 1300-1400 if absolutely need be to get what I want

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Best specifications for the money

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Somewhat but not if it means a lot of sacrificing specs. I'll also be using it for school (Master's while working full time) but don't go anywhere much except for my couch, bathroom, etc. to continue working. Occasionally will put it in a backpack when going out of town.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15 seems ideal, current 13" thinkpad is too small but 17" probably wouldn't travel well and may be too bulky.

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. VR is the only thing I want to use this for other than school, and is why I'm not going with a notebook or tablet (I don't want a tower separate from a laptop). I don't currently have VR and am eventually planning on moving to PS5 and it's new gen of PSVR in a couple years, but want this laptop to be a solid VR pc for a couple years until that happens. I'm thinking the Vive or Index, but this won't be until early next year (yes I know it would be better to wait and get current specs at the same time as the headset, but my 6 year old college thinkpad T430s is on its last legs and I have my laptop budgeted for this year but not a headset yet).

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? VR - see above, I want to play everything except I'm not really into shooters. Haven't had my own VR setup before so idk about what I would need as far as FPS or settings but I'm not expecting top of the line - just something that will hold up for a couple years. Main concern here is whether a GTX1660Ti would be sufficient or if I need an RTX2060 to be viable for a couple years until I go to PSVR or give in and build a dedicated tower.

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Want a numpad, strong aluminum chassis would be nice, don't need touch screen.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are nmuchecessary and beneficial to the discussion. The specs I want at this point are an i7 or i9 9750 GHz processor, 16GB ram, at least a small 128GB SSD for a boot drive, plus at least 500 GB but preferably 1 TB HDD storage, then probably an RTX 2060 or if it'll be good enough a 1660Ti, and 1080p 60Hz screen but i don't really need much better because I'll continue to console game for everything except VR.

    At this point I'm looking mostly between the Lenovo Y540, 545, and 740. I was looking at the Dell G5/G7 originally but heard bad things about its thermal management and bulkiness. The legion looks and feels sleek to me, and seems portable enough. The low 3hour battery is an improvement to my current so it's probably good enough. I liked the 545 at costco for $1100 and it has everything that I want except it only has a 1660Ti and idk if that will be enough. I heard the 540 has better thermals, but the 740 has an aluminum chassis and again better heat management.

    submitted by /u/Axldrumline
    [link] [comments]

    Need a powerful laptop for civil engineering software

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 09:03 PM PDT

    Hello! My office (Indonesia) currently wants to buy 2 workstation/powerful laptop to do some heavy task for civil engineering, mostly Plaxis3D (finite element software), Plaxis2D, AutoCAD. Thinkpad is the first that comes to my mind for the support, the toughness, and the durability. Mainly will run only Windows 10 since civil engineering software is very windows based.

    So what would you recommend? Thinkpad or others? Money is not the problem here , we would pay any price.

    submitted by /u/mrpatuti
    [link] [comments]

    14-17" AU$800-AU$1200 [Australia] - Uni laptop for programming / UE4 / casual gaming

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:43 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase:

      AU$800-1200 - Australia.


    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

      Best Specs > Good Battery. Just a standard laptop ff for me.


    • How important is weight and thinness to you?

      I'm looking to avoid notably bulky/heavy laptops - I need something I can happily justify carrying every day.
      so I'm targetting NVME drives, AMD APU > dedicated gpu, and no optical drives.


    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

      Windows - Though no benefit from "higher tier" versions.


    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

      Middling -14" and 15.6" have previously appealed to me,
      though I'd happily go a little higher. Not too small for programming, not alienware large.


    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

      I'll likely end up gaming with this laptop - though I have a desktop at home, It'd be nice to bring it around to other places.
      I need to be able to run UE4 for uni as well as hobby projects
      but my preference is still squarely in integrated vega for the weight, size, and thermals.


    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?
      My standard is generally 1080p60. The most intensive games I'd like to bring with me would be....
      Space engineers (Stupidly cpu intensive), and probably Warframe. Though I wouldn't mind the spec to last a bit...

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?
      A good keyboard that doesn't completely smoke itself would be nice - I'd like to avoid using an external keyboard at least while playing lighter games.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.
      I've got a big preference for amd APUs because of the future-proofed-per-cost benefit, and occasional better thermals. Uhhh, would love to run the os on an NVME drive, too many years of clunky-bois in my laptops. I'm also a little scared of HP after they bricked that laptop recently.

    submitted by /u/PurpleSkyHoliday
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for a gaming laptop $750 or lower

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 12:17 AM PDT

    Im in the U.S.A, and my budget is 600-800(preferably lower than 800 i'm wanting a computer that is good enough to Run rainbow six siege (at over 60 frames or at 60) csgo and Garry's mod, maybe others in the future but I just want to play R6, a nice keyboard and reliable quality would be greatly appreciated, I've been looking on Amazon and I'm in need of some suggestions. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Wafflesrneat
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop < 1400€ - Light gaming, some CAD, for college.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 03:40 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    After looking at many advice on the internet and here, I'm making a post since I still can't chose a laptop.

    --- Total budget and country of purchase: Total budget is 1400€ but I'd prefer something around 1200-1300€.

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. I'll need a good battery since I'll be carrying my laptop around. Don't care about 2 in 1 form

    --- How important is weight and thinness to you? Not very important but I'll prefer a lighter laptop that doesn't look like a spaceship

    ---Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. I'd prefer without OS so that I can setup windows and Linux cheaper but it seems pretty rare.

    ---Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 15 inches sounds good. Would not mind a 17 tho

    ---Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I will probably do some CAD but that will not be the main use. Mainly taking notes, and web browsing. I'd like to be able to run games, basic ones such as Minecraft or terraria but also heavier games like PUBG, civ, without lagging.

    ---If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? I want to be able to hit 60fps

    ---Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? I'd like a good keyboard and great build quality.

    ---Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    Aiming for 16gb of RAM but it can be 8.

    I was initially looking at the msi prestige ps63 modern with a gtx 1050, 512gb ssd and 16gb of ram for 1300€, but I'm not sure If it's the right laptop and I have difficulty justifying buying such an expensive product, it needs to be among the best I can get for the price.

    Thanks a lot :) any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/PointDeVie
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on Razer Blade 2016

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 03:20 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've got an offer to buy a very well looked after and in full working order Razer Blade 2016, the one with a 6700, 16gb RAM and 512gb SSD. The seller is asking £550 but I think I might be able to talk them down to £450.

    However before I jump the gun I looked online and found nothing but warning about Razer laptops.

    Are they completely terrible or just terrible for the full RRP?

    Many thanks all.

    submitted by /u/Gceorge
    [link] [comments]

    UK/HK student laptop for travelling, work + light-gaming + photo editing (around £800/$1000 USD)

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 07:45 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: I'm gonna start with a curve-ball right out of the gate, as I'm currently a UK student but I'm moving to Hong Kong for the next year or so to do some work out there. As is, my budget is around £800/$7500 HKD, although I could stretch a fair bit further if neccessary.

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. So long as I can watch media/write notes on battery power for at least 3 hours, I'd prefer the best specs over anything else.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Fairly important, I'll be dragging it around with me on 20-30 minute walks.

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. I'd prefer windows, but I've worked with a few linux machines before.

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. N/A

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I do occasionally use photoshop, other than that I'd mostly be using it for document-making and gaming when at home. I'm not that big on modern games, so long as I can play DOTA and Europa Universalis 4 I'd be happy. My most 'modern' game is probably Hitman 2016, so I'd like to run that at reasonable settings (and possibly have a slightly futureproof device), but wouldn't be upset if I couldn't.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? DOTA at max settings/ >60FPS, everything else I'm happy so long as its playable.

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? A good keyboard is a must. Also this is dumb but I'll be using this in semi-professional environments so I'd like to avoid the flashy LEDs of Alienware and co, in favour of a more formal build.

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. I've been incredibly tempted by this deal for an Asus Vivobook but the lack of reviews/benchmarks are scaring me. Alternatively I could wait until I'm in Hong Kong, where I hear electronics can be found relatively cheap, at the risk of taking a while to source them.

    submitted by /u/Whores_anus
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming laptop

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 09:08 AM PDT

    I have always used an xbox to game with since i never had enough money for a pc, but now that i'm a bit older, i've finally got some money. Sadly because i've never had my own computer, i don't have a lot of knowledge about them, so i am hoping some of you could help me find a good gaming laptop (don't have enough room for a pc, and this way i could take it with me wherever i go). My price range is €0 - €600 (preferably around €400). I'm dutch, so if there are any country specific shops, i'll most likely not be able to go there.

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/IamYm3
    [link] [comments]

    A laptop for my schoolwork and gaming

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:58 AM PDT

    * **Total budget and country of purchase:** 1000€, Estonia.

    * **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.** I definitely great performance, but a good battery life is important aswell.

    * **How important is weight and thinness to you?** I wouldn't want it to be very bulky, so yes both weight and thinness are quite important.

    * **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.** Windows

    * **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.** N/A

    * **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.** I would like to play some games besides my school work.

    * **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?** I mostly play League of Legends and Oldschool Runescape. I know these games have quite low requirements, but I want my gaming experience to be enjoyable. I would like League of Legends to run atleast on 100FPS constantly.

    * **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?** A good keyboard could be useful.

    * **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.** I would like to use this laptop mostly for my schoolwork, but from time to time I would like to play a couple of games aswell. The games that I play don't have very high requirements, but I would like them to run extremely smooth.

    submitted by /u/spacejungler
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for graphic design.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:55 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    So I am looking for a 13,3"-14" inch ultrabook that is suitable for graphic design and photo editing (I am mostly talking about PS, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom... maybe some light CAD and videoediting). You will see what my preferences are in the form, but these are my options so far.

    1. Xiaomi Mi Air 13,3" (Intel Core i5-8250U 1.6GHz ,Nvidia GeForce MX150, 8GB DDR4, 256GB SSD) - I really like the design of this notebook and the fact that it has a dedicated GPU. Not sure if it is worth the money. I am guessing that this should be a good choice if I care a lot about appearances.
    2. Apple MacBook Air 13 Mid 2017 (Intel Core i5-5350U 1.8 GHz, 8GB DDR3, Intel HD 6000, 128GB SSD) - I am afraid this notebook just doesn't brings enough to the table and won't be able to perform the tasks I would like to do on my notebook. I was told that it might have serious problems when working on bigger projects and is not designed for graphical work (also for the price of his notebook, I could choose the others that have better specifications. Unfortunately I can't afford a Macbook Pro). Even though Mac is the standard in the industry I am not sure whether this would be the right choice.
    3. Asus Zenbook 13 UX331FN (Intel Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce MX150, 256GB SSD) - This one would be my go to choice as it has (in my opinion) a really good price/value, but it is not as beautiful as the previously mentioned notebooks.

    Some general concerns about graphic design that I would like you to answer (sorry if this misses the sub, just ignore it):

    Which is the acceptable color coverage for graphic design laptops (both sRGB and aRGB)?

    Will it be really hard to work on a 13,3" laptop and should I later on buy a separate screen?

    Is a 2in1 laptop a huge advantage in designing or not really?

    All in all, what would be your go to laptop (feel free to pick one that is not on my list)?

    Total budget and country of purchase:

    cca. 1000 USD, Croatia/Hungary

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    I would like to have a decent battery life, but it is not my highest priority.

    How important is weight and thinness to you?

    I really want in to be portable, so a thin and lightweight laptop would be ideal for me.

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    Mac or Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    13,3"-14"

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    Already listed above, but I would like to do photo editing, graphic designing a bit of CAD (Adobe programs)

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    N/A

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    It would be nice to have a card reader (not microSD but SD), a reliable build would be nice but I dont have really high expectations from an ultrabook in this price range.

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    I listed everything above.

    Thank you for helping me.

    submitted by /u/blazso
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for Adobe Photoshop, Salesforce, QA-related programs, and proprietary software.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:08 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm posting for a friend who needs help on getting a new laptop for her new job! :)

    We're looking for a laptop that can do Adobe Photoshop, Salesforce, software dev programs, and proprietary software. The work will require these programs to run simultaneously at some point (if not always). She's set to get the Macbook Pro 13" 2018 but I convinced her that although it is not a bad choice, it is not the best value-prop.

    Budget: $1,000.00-$1,200.00 (but doesn't mind to add a bit more for a better choice)

    What she has so far:

    • Windows 10, 64-bit
    • Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4
    • Graphics: Intel® Sandybridge Mobile
    • 750GB HDD
    • 480GB SSD
    • 16GB RAM
    • 1366x768 resolution

    Non-negotiable:

    • Laptop is configurable/upgradable (i.e. T480, nothing soldered)
    • slim design, 13"-14"
    • 2017-2019 models
    • Should have a back-lit keyboard
    • Ports: HDMI, USB, LAN, headphone jack
    • bluetooth 4 and up

    Nice to have:

    • Great camera for video conferencing and live stream.

    We're really looking forward to your suggestions and hopefully get a reasonable model by the end of August 2019. Thanks in advance! :)

    submitted by /u/mal0n3m
    [link] [comments]

    USA $300-800 casual use laptop

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 02:39 AM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase:

    USA, $300-800

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    Good battery.

    • How important is weight and thinness to you?

    6.5/10

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    Windows 10

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    13-15 inches

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    N/A

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    N/A

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    Fingerprint reader or Windows Hello, touch-screen would be nice, keyboard doesn't have to be perfect but serviceable

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. Order of importance:

    Battery > Fingerprint > High Resolution > Touch Screen > Good Keyboard > Performance

    submitted by /u/okegameg
    [link] [comments]

    College student looking for an affordable thin and light laptop.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    • Total budget and country of purchase: Preferably less than $800.
    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Would like 2 in 1 but its not a deal breaker.
    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Would like something thin and portable.
    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows
    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. 13.9" or below.
    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. Netflix, and possibly light gaming.
    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Nope
    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? Touchscreen would be nice but not a deal breaker.
    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. Something that is thin, light, and doesn't sound like a helicopter when in use. Old laptop was https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-720-Touchscreen-Fingerprint-Thunderbolt/dp/B07FXPMM2Q/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lenovo+yoga+12.5&qid=1565578769&s=gateway&sr=8-3
    submitted by /u/IcedColdMine
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop For College 500$ to 600$

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 10:11 PM PDT

    As the title says, I am looking for a laptop for college. My main 2 things I want are solid build quality (metal chassis preferred) and great battery life (>10 hours). Performance is nice but not as important as those two. I will mostly be using it for writing papers, doing some web browsing, listening to Spotify. I have a separate laptop already for gaming. Also having a good wi-fi card would be nice. I would like it to be somewhat light, but not too heavy. Also SSD for the OS please. My price point is 500 to 600 dollars, though I can go a bit higher to 650 if needed.

    **Total budget and country of purchase:**

    500 to 600 dollars, United States

    **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**

    I prefer good battery life and solid build quality. Specifications don't need to be top end.

    * **How important is weight and thinness to you?**

    I would like it to be fairly light and thin, since I will be carrying it around campus a lot.

    * **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.**

    Windows 10, no Chromebooks please. Can't stand Chromebooks.

    * **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**

    A 1920x1080p screen that can get fairly bright would be nice. 15.6 inch or smaller please.

    * **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.**

    Maybe some light photo editing, but nothing basic hardware can't handle. Not doing any gaming on this laptop.

    * **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?**

    No gaming on this laptop, I have a separate one for that purpose.

    * **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**

    A good keyboard would be nice, as I will by typing on it a lot. Reliable and sturdy build quality is a MUST please. Metal chassis heavily preferred. No need for a touch screen. Finger print reader is nice, but not required. Would like the OS on an SSD. I do not want an optical drive. Having a decent touchpad would be nice.

    * **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**

    I am willing to push my budget up to 650 if the need presents itself.

    submitted by /u/FogBattleshipKongo
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for sixth form (age 16-18) £500 UK

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:55 AM PDT

    * **Total budget and country of purchase:** My budget is £500 - £600 and I live in the UK*

    **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.** I would prefer best specifications but as it will be being used for sixth form I would need for the battery to last me through a day of use *

    **How important is weight and thinness to you?** Thinness is not that important but weight wise i will need to bring it to sixth form every day *

    **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.** I would prefer Windows 10 *

    **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.** N/A *

    **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.** I would like to be able to do light gaming if possible but that is not a priority *

    **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?** I would like to be able to play Enter the Gungeon and Total War Shogun 2 *

    **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?** I would like a good keyboard as I want to use it for the majority of the writing at sixth form due to poor handwriting and as I am bringing it to school every day good build quality would be appreciated *

    **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.** N/A

    submitted by /u/causkeylir
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing between X1 Carbon/Razer Blade 15/ MBP 15 for programming?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:31 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    I am Apple user for a long time and now I need to get a new machine for work.

    I am full-stack JS developer, so I have CPU/RAM intense workflow. VMs, dockers, browsers, etc.

    I have been using MacBooks for a while, but it was 2015 year model and they are rock, but it is almost 2020 and buying 2015 model now seems bad decision to me. 2019 model is neat, but lack of 3.0 USB post and all this stuff with screen bleeding is almost deal breaker to me. I really like this low-travel keyboard, trackpad and macOS through.

    I am looking into Lenovo 4k/i7/16GB/512, Razer i7/16/1060 and MPB 15 i7/16/560.

    I don't play games, I do want long battery life, robustness and lightness.

    Which one would you recommend here?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Nikulio
    [link] [comments]

    Help me choose

    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 01:10 AM PDT

    Im stuck, dont know which to pick.

    ProBook 440 g6 with i7 8565u and 8gb ram. YOGA 530 with i7 8550u and 16 gb ram. Or acer swift 3 with i5, maybe.

    Please help me. Laptop will be used for coding (mostly web stuff), heavy browsing, traveling and light Photoshop.

    submitted by /u/ameste
    [link] [comments]

    New portable laptop - Biochem PhD student

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 07:17 PM PDT

    \ **Total budget and country of purchase:*** US, ideally less than $600

    \ **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.*** Best specs for money, I don't like 2 in 1s.

    \**How important is weight and thinness to you?*** As long as it isn't a brick it's fine

    \ **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.*** Windows

    \ **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.*** 13 or 14 inches

    \ **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.*** For my data analysis I use R, GIMP, Kaleidograph, and Chimera.

    \ **If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?*** I play the Sims but as long as it runs I'm fine with it

    \ **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?*** I would like for it to durable, I tend to be rough on electronics.

    \ **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.*** I've been looking around and it seems like Acer, Asus, and Dell is where I'm landing. My current laptop is a 3 year old Dell Inspiron with an Intel i5 and it suits my needs fine. (It has water damage in the motherboard - RIP)

    submitted by /u/beckydamico
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming laptop between $500-$800 USD

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 12:20 PM PDT

    I am in the market for a portable gaming solution as I don't want to lug around my desktop to lans and it would be nice to have something to game on while traveling for work.

    I have a $100 amazon credit so this makes some "higher end" machines right at the top of my budget range. I saw the incredible value of the Helios 300 for $899 with Prime which brings my total with the gift card to $800.

    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Overclockable-Aeroblade-PH315-51-78NP/dp/B07CTHLX8C/ref=lp_8588812011_1_4/144-6258960-9407447?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1565550644&sr=1-4

    (must be logged in w/ prime to see $899 price)

    I know it's overkill for WoW / Classic WoW but the 144hz display would be nice for Overwatch and Apex Legends. This seems to have the best value per dollar being the only thing thing I could find at this price offering a 144hz display paired with a gtx 1060. Everything sub-$800 seems to be restricted to a 1050ti or 1650.

    Would it make more sense to grab something around $500-$600 if i'll primarily just be playing WoW when on the go? Will a 1050 or 1050ti be able to hit 60 frames at max settings consistently?

    Not set on the Helios 300 and am open to other suggestions. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/throwaways39
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop for college, Asus VivoBook S15, S14, or ZenBook 13 - Canada, CAD $1000-1200

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    • Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply. Battery life/specs

    • How important is weight and thinness to you? Very, I currently lug around a 5.9lb 4 year old laptop and I hate it

    • Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux. Windows

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A. Definitely not 17"

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I'm a fourth year architecture undergrad and at this point in my degree I never use CAD or any intensive software really, it's mostly word documents. However, considering I would like to make a new laptop a 3-4 year investment I would like to keep the window open to possibly having to use AutoCAD/Rhinoceros/Illustrator etc.

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? Old games only, so I think an MX150 would suffice. Minecraft/Skyrim/Oblivion pretty much the only games I've touched in the past two years.

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)? N/A

    • Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion. Did some research of my own on this subreddit and I think I've narrowed it down to these three laptops, all of which I've seen recommended here:

    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07B7VFTN9/?coliid=I2RET78M4CH542&colid=2NL9NUP9NM1YJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it (CAD $1050)

    https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-VivoBook-i7-8550U-GeForce-Windows/dp/B0786TPWBP/ref=cm_wl_huc_item (CAD $1200)

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JB56QJ7/ref=twister_B07TWJ6XQ8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (US website, accounting for shipping and duties comes out to CAD $1300 which is 100 over budget)

    Another option for me is this Lenovo Yoga 730 15 (third model with the GTX 1050) because I can get it on sale for down to CAD $1200 after taxes, but I've seen those first three Asus laptops recommended over it in every thread I find. I've also read the wifi chip sucks and I don't want to have to replace that.

    Overall just want a laptop for general purpose and college that can last two consecutive three-hour lectures in a day for taking notes and isn't heavy.

    submitted by /u/Damisu
    [link] [comments]

    School and Gaming - Canada

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 10:23 PM PDT

    Total budget and country of purchase

    -1k or less, Canada

    Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.

    -Best specifications for the money, followed by battery life

    How important is weight and thinness to you?

    -Somewhat important, preferably a similar or smaller size to an old macbook pro(2009ish)

    Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.

    -Windows

    Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

    -N/A

    Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    -Gaming: League of Legends,Diablo 3,Overwatch,PUBG

    If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    -League of Legends, Diablo 3, Overwatch, PUBG, OSRS

    -Settings don't need to be maxed out, but high would be preferable

    Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    -N/A

    Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.

    - The laptop my school reccomended is " Dell Latitude 3590 Btx 8gb 256 Ssd I5 8250 ", which i think is this guy : https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-3590-15-6-core-i5-8250u-8-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd/ (listed at 995.00 from the school store)

    I'm not sure what the laptop they reccomend can handle, and being from the school store I feel like I could find a different option at a better price.

    My current laptop is an old Macbook Pro from roughly 2009. It is fine for general low impact use, but i don't even bother playing most games on it. I'd like to switch to a windows laptop for school.

    I've looked around a bit and found a couple laptops that could work for me.

    1)ASUS laptop on kijiji for $550 OBO, the Specs are: -Intel Core I5 7300HQ -NVIDIA GTX 1050 4GB -1TB SSHD of storage -12GB of Ram -1920x1080 Screen -Red Backlit Keyboard -Windows 10 -Webcam -Bluetooth

    2)https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-tuf-15-6-gaming-laptop-red-intel-core-i5-8300h-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-nvidia-gtx-1050-windows-10-refurbished/13641609

    submitted by /u/babyfacednuge
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing hp omen 15 vs Lenovo Y530

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 10:01 PM PDT

    I need to choose between an HP Omen and a Lenovo Y530. There are no other options unfortunately these two are my only options. HP Omen 15 Core i7 8750h 8gb ram 1TB HDD GTX 1050 ti Y530 Core i7 8750h 8gb ram 1TB HDD GTX 1050ti They have exactly the same but I do not know which one is better they are on the same price.

    submitted by /u/rickyrrt
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a good university Laptop. Vivobook S15 vs Yoga 730?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 09:48 PM PDT

    • Total budget (In local currency) and country of purchase:

    $1100 CAD, Canada

    • Are you open to refurbs/used?

      No

    • How would you prioritize form factor, build quality, performance, and battery life?

    Battery life > form factor > build quality > performance (as long as it is 8th gen i5)

    • Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

      N/A

    • Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

    No games, just programming

    • If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

    N/A

    • Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

    N/A

    I've heard bad things about ASUS build quality and less bad things about Lenovo. So it's either I pay more for the extra storage, or pay less for the better brand reputation, I guess. Additionally, it seems like the yoga would have better battery battery life, but I don't have any stats to back that up. Anything else to think about? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/priuslover
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel