• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Wednesday, July 3, 2019

    Linux My thoughts on Manjaro after using it for a few months

    Linux My thoughts on Manjaro after using it for a few months


    My thoughts on Manjaro after using it for a few months

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:04 AM PDT

    This is gonna be short and sweet. If you have any questions feel free to ask me :)

    Everything works as well if not better than on Windows except for gaming. Basically everything except native Linux titles either doesn't work period, or will have issues that prevent the game from working (e.g. PUBG's Battleye not launching, resulting in me not being able to play). Games that do work tend to have lower performance than on Windows for some reason, but oh well. I mostly play TF2 and still get triple-digit FPS on a 60hz monitor, so it's not like it matters (for me and the games I play, anyway).

    I love the way Deepin looks much, MUCH more than any other DE or Windows. I just wish it had a tiny bit more customization, just a little bit.

    If that wasn't short enough for you, here's a tl;dr: good for everything except for gaming

    submitted by /u/kelvinh_27
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to view wikipedia xml file?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:55 AM PDT

    So I downloaded the wikipedia dump xml file, and was wondering what the best program for opening it was. Preferably one that works as close to the website as possible. I know about xowa, but can you use it to open the dump file? From what I've read it's just to download wikipedia. I'm not sure if this is the best sub but r/wikipedia is just for articles.

    Edit: I'm using Linux, and would like something that has been tested on this.

    submitted by /u/S-S-R
    [link] [comments]

    Tip- Use Bitwarden to keep notes and sync between devices/VMs

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:44 AM PDT

    Hey guys. Just something to keep in mind. Everything you Google, find answers here etc. Use Bitwarden to save the info. Bitwarden is a password manager but often forgotten when it comes to keeping notes and it's fast to copy and sync anything. It's also something you can self host if wanted.

    Create a folder. "Linux Notes"

    Then create a secure note. Make title a reference. Then put answer or whatever in notes. If you want add a url field and then copy the url to the note. Then you can just click the page you want to take you back to where you found it.

    Works on windows, Linux, Mac. Android. Never forget something that may come in handy later.

    If it's ever deleted, you still have a copy for it. Years ago I saved a bunch of bookmarks on some sites and now only half of them exist.

    submitted by /u/Binbas
    [link] [comments]

    The true power of wine

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:30 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I just wanted to start a thread to share compatibility successes.

    What programs that are not supposed to run on Linux have you been able to do so in your favorite Linux flavor?

    And also, do you know if electron based apps (compiled for Windows) are able to run on Linux with wine? 🍷

    I'm on the quest to run InVision Studio in Manjaro, so if you want to know how it goes, I'll update as soon as possible.

    Have a good one.

    submitted by /u/AlbertoSC
    [link] [comments]

    I try to install nvida drivers via the software center but it switches right back.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:08 PM PDT

    The cmd tells me "unable to locate package" after I added and updated the ppa so I tryed the software center but after the progress bar of applying changes went through it switches right back to nouveau drivers

    submitted by /u/Hisfantor
    [link] [comments]

    /var partition keeps filling up, damn logs!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:43 PM PDT

    I installed a homebridge plugin to control my window air conditioners with Siri using homebridge on my linux server. Unfortunately, it's a really noisy plugin that spams my /var/log folder until it fills up the partition and the server emails me a complaint.

    There's no way to disable its verbose nonsense from what I can find, and the developer isn't responding on GitHub either, so I need a way to just dump everything it has to say to null instead of logs.

    How can I banish this damn thing from my logs?

    submitted by /u/MentalUproar
    [link] [comments]

    Surface laptop help

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:24 PM PDT

    From my experience and from what I've heard, its impossible to install linux on the surface laptop, because of the ways that the keyboard drivers work, well, they dont work, I managed to get it work with an external keyboard of course, but I was wondering if any of you guys have a soloution that would allow me to run literally an version on my laptop. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/BeefCasserole
    [link] [comments]

    Which version of linux should I compile for a resource constrained system?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:20 AM PDT

    I'm a junior linux user with a very old machine. After some upgrades, i'm working with the following hardware: -Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz -8GB of RAM -1.5TB of SSD space -New OEM battery

    So, my objective is to efficiently run 1 VM at a time with a bare bones OS that allows me to keep some separation between personal and work stuff.

    I was running ubuntu 18.04 for a while which just ate the battery of this machine. I've recently switched to 19.04 to see how the battery management improvements look. Better, but i'm not sold on the stability of this OS (super laggy).

    It's been recommended that I just compile my own version of linux for this machine. I've never done this before and after some research i'm at a crossroads of indecision:

    My question: Do I compile a gentoo version, or compile an Arch version?

    submitted by /u/billbradleybradley
    [link] [comments]

    Internal(private?) IPV6 alternatives to "::1", whats the equivalent ipv6 range to "127.X.X.X"

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:29 PM PDT

    Please help me set up a VM. Kernel header files?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:09 AM PDT

    I need to have Windows for school, so I acquired a legal 10 iso. After I allocated disk space for it in VirtualBox and tried to boot, I got an error saying I needed to run '/sbin/vboxconfig' as root. That command gave me an error saying I needed "Linux kernal 'header' files" for my system. Where do I need to get those? Thanks.

    Fedora 30

    Lenovo ThinkPad T430

    submitted by /u/WeCanDoThis74
    [link] [comments]

    xmodmap changes lost after suspension

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    when i'm home i connect my thinkpad to an old apple thin aluminium usb keyboard (because it's pretty comfortable, even though it must have close to 10 years of age).

    Since the keyboard has italian keyds, i had to use an xmodmap command to switch two keys.

    "xmodmap -e 'keycode 94=backslash bar' -e 'keycode 49=less greater' -e 'keycode 107 = ISO_Level3_Shift'" 

    The change is temporary and i haven't found a way to make it permanent for the usb keyboard, so i created two alias inside my zshrc in order to switch between the external keyboard and the internal keyboard.

    Now the issue: when the screen saver block the session, the configuration is lost and when i log back the terminal and the apps have returned to the standard keys configuration... why is it happening and is there a workaround ?

    Thanks !

    submitted by /u/garethjax
    [link] [comments]

    [Ubuntu Server, Kodi] Symlinks and Media files, reading from different devices

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:17 AM PDT

    In order to clean up my media server, I am attempting to change my duplicate files into a symlink like structure as I am rapidly running out of HDD space.

    I am currently using Kodi and some media files, for example TV shows.

    Has anyone had any luck getting this working? The Kodi app just doesn't find the files, Windows PC can't read the file. The only thing that really understands what it does is my own PC running Arch.

    I have the server running Ubuntu 18, if that means anything. Any ideas? According to Kodi forums, XBMC (I guess is the predecessor?) under Kodi works with Symlinks without any changes.

    submitted by /u/Gibbo3771
    [link] [comments]

    Cant activate tap to click on KDE neon

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:27 AM PDT

    How can I see which dimm edac-util is referring to?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    I am having memory errors in centos that the edac-utils is picking up but how do I know which dimm it is referring to?

    It is a hp dl385 G7

    http://prntscr.com/oa4x7w

    submitted by /u/Wilsonfromdevon
    [link] [comments]

    How Do You Do A Full System Backup And Restore?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    I've just been looking at Borg Backup but can't seem to figure out how I'd get my system running again if my SSD died. Do you just back up each partition and extract them onto a new drive with the same size partitions? What about the boot partition? Would the uuid not be different on a new drive causing problems with fstab (and probably other things I don't know about)?

    I already backup files like music, pictures, etc. Just looking for a way to prevent me from having to reinstall packages and change settings.

    submitted by /u/Spire-Al
    [link] [comments]

    AMD Ryzen 3 2200g problems on linux

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:01 AM PDT

    Hi, as you can read in the title Linux works very bad for me in combination with the Ryzen 3 2200g. The PC can boot up without problems but the screen freezes and the mouse is lagging & unresponsive very often. I know that there are already some other threads for this problem but most of them are a few months old. And my question now is, how can I fix this?

    • OS: Ubuntu 18.04 Budgie
    • Kernel: 4.18
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
    • Mainboard: MSI B350 Pro-VDH (latest Bios)

    Sorry for my bad english, I am from Germany :P

    submitted by /u/ruthless_tc
    [link] [comments]

    Switch confusion

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    Good evening.

    I've played around Linux for the last couple years cand want to try using it more full time. However I struggle to find a distribution which I feel comfortable in using and want to use on a day-to-day basis.

    I'm trying different ones ranging from Ubuntu and manjaro to even arch itself. I struggle to find that desktop environment and look that i want to use permanently.

    I wanted something which isn't like windows but looks modern and clean.

    I want to avoid ubuntu/ubuntu based if possible. But open to other options

    I dislike gnome 3 with a passion (thanks unity) and KDE lags like hell on my semi good PC.

    What would people recommend distro and DE wise?

    Use case: Gaming majorly (games I play work fine via proton or lutris)

    Specs i5 6400 8 Gb Ram GTX1060 3Gb

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/RevTheoryRoe
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot write files to my sd card in my android phone. Any possible solution?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 03:24 AM PDT

    So, I am new to the world of Linux. I am running KDE neon.

    Whenever I connect my old android marshmallow phone, I can see the sd card, I can see the files. I can even copy sd card data to the pc. But I cannot copy files from pc to the phone.

    I also have a Xiaomi phone , but file transfer works flawlessly with it.

    The only difference between the two phones is that the main storage in the Xiaomi phone is its internal storage, where in my old android phone its a Samsung SD card, as the default storage.

    I also tried KDE connect, but even that fails. KDE connect shows "Failed to mount filesystem: device not responding"

    Any solutions to this problem? I don't want to go back to windows. :(

    submitted by /u/Cull_Obsidian
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Linux!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:42 AM PDT

    I want to completely remove Windows and install Ubuntu 18.04. So should i go with "erase disk" or "something else" ?. I'm new and i don't know how to use GPT. I just want a fresh installation of Ubuntu.

    submitted by /u/scaryAstronaut
    [link] [comments]

    Linux Mint keeps crashing

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:10 AM PDT

    I have 16GB of RAM and 6GB of Video RAM. Every time I do something that uses up more than 3.5GB of RAM the video output on my system crashes, I think. I can still move the mouse and interact with things but the only part of the screen that moves is the mouse. Does anyone Know what's happening?

    Edit: I'm using LinuxMint 19.1 and my DE is Cinnamon. Is it possible that it's just Cinnamon that's crashing?

    submitted by /u/mimshipio
    [link] [comments]

    Having two issues running fedora on 5,1 MacBook pro

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:44 AM PDT

    My first and most immediate issue is that I installed fedora 29 on my second hard drive in my mbp and everything works. However when I install the updates and restart I just get a black screen with only my cursor visible. I can move the cursor. I have tried adding the nomodset value into grub, but that doesn't fix it. I do get to see that there are a bunch of things failing. Such as, xorg, and the login service.

    The second problem is that I can't get refind to work. I had Linux running with refind a long time ago, but eventually went back to just macos and uninstalled refind. Now I try following the instructions on the website, but nothing works and I just have to hold down option when booting if I want to boot into macos.

    One other side note; when I edit the grub value it tells you to push Ctrl+x to start. This doesn't work on a mac keyboard and you have to push f9 or f10. Does anyone have a key that shows the equivalent keystrokes are on a mac keyboard?

    submitted by /u/Churchless
    [link] [comments]

    Getting rid of Windows 10 Dual-Boot.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:35 AM PDT

    Hello,

    About 4 months ago, I transferred to a University for Computer Science, so as a result I installed ubuntu as a dual boot.

    I didn't use windows the whole time and now I realize I do not want it on my machine anymore. I recently bought a 32 GB USB to help with the process but I don't know where to start so:

    1. How do I back my data up?
    2. How do I go about deleting windows from linux? Do I have to boot windows back up?

    Here is a picture of my GParted.

    https://i.redd.it/5uzgts4cy3831.png

    submitted by /u/redbeat0222
    [link] [comments]

    File system and partition error related question!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:33 AM PDT

    New user, tried out Ubuntu and Mint Cinnamon through a thumb drive and decided on Mint.

    Got it all setup - however, my backup HDD is on readonly???

    I have 2 drives, an SSD and an HDD. Mint is on the SSD.

    My hdd gets detected, I can acccess its files, but I cannot copy anything INTO it or make changes in files in it. Im a coder and I store most of my projects on the backup drive and I just discovered this when i couldnt save changes on VSCode and it said that my drive is of type EPROS or something like that.

    PLEASE HELP!

    submitted by /u/X3NOC1DE
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to SSH into Linux VMs

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    I use Termius, an iOS app on my iPhone to access my Proxmox Linux VMs via SSH. I also use the mobile Microsoft RDP app to access my Proxmox Windows VMs. Before this, I have to connect to my network through OpenVPN, which is running on my home router (Netgear R6700). I can successfully get on my home network from my phone because I am able to access my router web interface. One thing I noticed is that the router is assigning a 192.168.254.x address to my iPhone while every single other device on my network uses 192.168.1.x. So I believe a socket between my phone and these VMs is failing to be configured. Does anyone know how I can choose which IP my iPhone grabs from the router when connecting via OpenVPN? I would assign it something in the 192.168.1.x subnet.

    Do note that this works 100% fine when I am home and connected on my WiFi. There should be no concern with SSH keys and configuration. That works when I am physically home.

    submitted by /u/ragnar13337
    [link] [comments]

    Need assistance with this error in Fedora logs

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:12 AM PDT

    It keeps showing up every time I boot my system. OS is Fedora 30 on a Thinkpad T440p.

     Applications GLib-CRITICAL: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed 

    Sender is gnome-session-b. Priority is 2.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/DucatiThumper
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel