• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Thursday, July 4, 2019

    Home Networking Switching from Google WiFi to Ubiquiti but unsure what I need to get.

    Home Networking Switching from Google WiFi to Ubiquiti but unsure what I need to get.


    Switching from Google WiFi to Ubiquiti but unsure what I need to get.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 10:41 AM PDT

    So I returned my ISP modem/router combo and went with my own modem. That currently feeds into a Google WiFi puck, which feeds into an 8-port switch.. I have a second puck coming off that switch and the other ports feed into a few wall jacks around the house.

    I want to switch over to Ubiquiti AP's and was planning to get one of their POE switches, and either the cloud key or setup the controller on a Raspberry Pi. But I'm a little confused about the router situation. Can I run from my modem to the switch to the APs or do I need to also have a router between the modem and the switch?

    submitted by /u/xdozex
    [link] [comments]

    Ubiquiti AC-Pro help please..

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:55 PM PDT

    This is the first time using an AP like this, or an AP at all. We have always connected to WiFi using the ISP's modem, which sucked ass but it was ok. We moved to a new house, not too big, but needed better Wifi coverage because the modem is in the basement now. So I dragged a 100ft CAT6 ethernet cable from the basement that is connected to the modem, to the first floor where the AC-Pro is. The WiFi works and all but it is very unrealiable. Connection is wonky, and I'm not sure if 190 Mbps down is any good for WiFi (5Ghz). We have gigabit internet, so LAN speed is around 800~900Mpbs. There are currently 5 clients connected to the AC-Pro.

    Is there some setting that I have to do in order to make full use of the AC-Pro? If this is what it is then man I feel like i wasted so much money on this :(

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/ordosalutis
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing or Improving Powerline

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    We relied on powerline adapters for quite some time for our home network.

    It was always unreliable and slow, but so was our Internet, so it didn't matter as much.

    Since the Router is now in the center of the house only the NAS and a few PCs in the cellar have bad connections (where the router was previously).

    I read about MoCA, and it sounds like a good, but expensive option (though the coax wiring is even more of a mess the the regual wiring is). I didn't find many adapters, are there any recommendations? (I read it works with cable internet)

    Would it be possible to take the wifi signal and extend it to a switch?

    Are there any solutions to improve powerline until a better one is established?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Klajan
    [link] [comments]

    Boss accessed my home network!

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:49 PM PDT

    I think I'm being paranoid, but it's right there, every time I look at my router access control settings. Please explain to me what's going on!

    My boss's phone (I know it's his because of identifiable information in the name) logged in to my network a few hours ago. We have Circle through Orbi, and I get an alert the second any device joins our network. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw his name pop up.

    Just a few bits of info:

    - Obviously my network is secured, etc. and is not open.

    - I work from home on my own computer so it was NOT supplied by them.

    - I use Chrome for work and am logged in with my work email. They have Gsuite if that matters. (I use Firefox for all personal stuff so that my boss can't look through my history.)

    Any insight as to what happened would be very appreciated. I of course have blocked his phone from my network now.

    submitted by /u/lilac333
    [link] [comments]

    Hardwiring is not an option, is an extender the only other option?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:43 PM PDT

    My router is in my basement. My bedroom is upstairs opposite side of the house. We already have a wireless network extender in our living room which is 20 ft from my bedroom.

    My laptop connects fine to our internet but my phone is a different story. I can not get more than a single bar in my room and can't load videos, photos ect. My download speed on xbox is abysmal.

    I've been doing some research and it seems like getting a network extender in my bedroom would not be a great idea. I've read it can make the lag worse in some cases. A lot of suggestions say hardwiring an accesspoint into the room would help. If that involves connecting to my router though, I can't do that. Is there anything I could do?

    submitted by /u/AncientWyvernShield
    [link] [comments]

    New google wifi or 2 year old Netgear Orbi rbk50?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:46 PM PDT

    Hey folks,

    So the title sorta says it all. I just bought a new google mesh wifi system for 379$cad (taxes included), and I'm still well within the 30 day return period. I've had nothing but success with it since turning it on and even though it isn't as fast as other mesh systems, my internet speeds are nowhere near high enough to reach its limits.

    However, I just saw an ad up asking 250$ for a used Orbi rbk50, which is pretty much the king of the game in terms of mesh systems. I've been talking with the guy and the system is in good shape and all, so no issues there, aside from the fact that it's got two years worth of wear.

    Alright, so here's my dilemma: do I return the google mesh and get this Orbi, essentially in order to 130$, but risk the Orbi dying on me soon (do routers wear out?). Or do I stick with the google system, lose out on 130$ savings, but benefit from the warranty and all that.

    Sorry for the wall of text. All opinions are greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Darwins_law
    [link] [comments]

    Help selecting best wireless AC 5ghz settings?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    Hey guys I'm having issues with downlink speeds. I'll usually pull 150 down and put over 230 upload. My router is a Asus 87u running latest Merlin. I've chosen the best channel, even though there isn't any other AP nearby, I went ahead and chose the highest channel possible and now only have yet to change mumimo and beamforming options, any ideas as how i could do around 250 download aswell? 80mhz is selected.

    submitted by /u/bleke_xyz
    [link] [comments]

    Making multiple gateways accessible on all AP's

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    We've been running multiple devices within our home network which exists out of one generic ZTE modem, and one Netgear Nighthawk R7000. The nighthawk is setup as my own router so i can set-up a much better QoS and have access to more features. So there are basically two networks in my home.

    And that is where the problem begins. I have one Ikea Tradfri gateway attached to my own network (R7000) to control power points and lights all that stuff, but they aren't accessible on the AP's of the other network. On the other network, i set-up two Chromecast devices so my parents and sister can watch anything they like without interfering my router's performance.

    What really is driving me crazy after a year, is that i can't access those devices on all networks. I don't want to change my wifi network every time i want to access one of the devices on the other network.

    I thought that it had something to do with the MAC-addresses, but i was certainly wrong lol

    Is there a way to make those devices available on both of the networks?

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/kin3v
    [link] [comments]

    5G signal strength question

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:16 PM PDT

    I've been running my 5 GHz network from an ac68u (a mesh pair actually) on 157 and 80 MHz width. In a fairly quiet 'hood with spaced out houses. Large house so hence the 2 router mesh.

    My neighbor recently started running a 5 GHz network on the same 157 channel also 80 MHz wide. It could be purely coincidence but it seems my media streaming seems to struggle a little more now so I'm experimenting.

    I moved my network to 44 still 80 MHz, as there is nothing in the 36-48 band, I cannot select 42 for the control but the router is using 36-48 for the network.

    What I have noticed is that in this lower band of 5 GHz my signal strength seems to be a good 5-6 dBm lower than if I run it in the higher band. Is this normal? The data transfer rate capability seems to be similar. Is this just a 'feature' of the lower band range of 5GHz or is there something I'm missing? Should I be using 40 MHz width in this range?

    And help or advice appreciated.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/skipaul
    [link] [comments]

    Synology Rt2600ac Router VPN Speed

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 05:54 PM PDT

    Is it normal to have extremely slower internet when connected via VPN to the Rt2600ac router. I'm talking more than 60-70% less speed. I'm using the VPN plus app and the synology vpn service on the router. Any tips? Using it to access synology NAS on the same network mainly.

    OpenVPN straight to DS918+ is slow too..

    submitted by /u/notthefbi6923
    [link] [comments]

    Problems with Calix 711GE ONT - Windstream service

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:03 PM PDT

    Hi all, I have Windstream gig fiber and I have been dealing with a service outage for over a week now and literally no one can tell me what is going on.

    About 3 weeks ago when our fiber line was put into the ground we had a total loss of service. A new line was put out and this seemed to solve our issues. I also fixed a router firmware issue that was causing crappy speeds.

    Well even after all of that, we had a sudden outage again and here I am for literally a week with no internet.

    I've called the main Windstream line multiple times and they're all clueless. I've talked to multiple "supervisors" and they have all failed to get my repair ticket moved up.

    Today I went out to look at my ONT to try and figure out what the deal is. This is what I found:

    1. The power light is a solid orange
    2. The CPU light is blinking orange
    3. No other lights are on

    The ONT is a Calix 711GE. Here's an image of the panel:

    https://imgur.com/a/aBZ0gM7

    Does anyone have any idea about what could be causing the outage aside from another bad line? I find it hard to believe that two lines could go back so quickly. There are no burrowing ground pests in the yard that I am aware of. The fiber line is running through a small drainage ditch but only for maybe a few feet. The line itself is buried a good six inches down into the ground.

    I have already gotten my outage days prorated but I am absolutely going insane here considering that I'm paying for gig speed but dealing with this crap that has left me without service for more than week now.

    Can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/KingFlatus
    [link] [comments]

    Home Network - ATT Fiber. Orbi vs AP vs Att WiFi extenders.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 01:42 PM PDT

    Hi. Not that great at networking to start.

    Have ATT 1 gb fiber with Arris BGW210. Have it in the basement corner of house due to outside aesthetics and having likely movie room being built in basement.

    House is 2 more floors. Most rooms are Ethernet cat5e wired.

    I had an orbi at last apartment and provided good speeds with gb internet (150 mb WiFi ). So I brought my rbr 20 and rbs 20 x 2 to this house and hooked it up. First as a router and then switched to an access point with both satellites Ethernet backhauled. Well standing right in front of the orbi router I get 92 mb download whereas if I just leave the Arris WiFi on I get 250-350 right in front.

    I need solid WiFi in the rest of my 3600 sq ft house. Should I look into just a wired long range access point and ditch the orbi? Should I keep orbi and change some settings? Should I buy the att WiFi extenders?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/motorstrip
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble port forwarding for a Minecraft server.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 04:48 PM PDT

    I've been trying for a while, I have the server made. I just can't get the port to forward properly.

    My router is a TP-LINK AC1750

    Here's what I filled in

    Service Port: 25565

    Internal Port: [blank]

    IP Address: My IPV4 IP

    Protocol: TCP

    Status: Enabled

    Common Service Port: [Blank]

    What am I doing wrong? I've never port forwarded before and I'm confused. It just keeps saying the port is not open when I test it with Simple Port Tester and Port Forward Network Utilities

    submitted by /u/TheSwedishSnake
    [link] [comments]

    Extending WiFi via access point in my trailer

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 04:35 PM PDT

    We purchased a used trailer and we're parked at a campground. I'm new to this whole outdoors thing, so I'm trying to bring some creature comforts (read: reliable internet).

    We're about 25ft from the main access point (the source AP, not further up the mesh network). The owner has carved out a unique SSID for me (it helps to be married to his daughter) on his mesh network, but I've noticed that our signal is attenuated inside the trailer to a noticeable degree (losing 1-2 bars on all devices vs. holding it outside the door - I haven't measured it in dB but it's enough to see very noticeable effects on connection quality and speeds). On top of that, I have an older Xbox 360 as a media centre and light gaming system that would benefit from a wired connection.

    I'd like to keep my spend to a minimum, but I'm a bit unclear on the difference between a wifi extender, repeater, and "bridge mode" on a router. Ideally, I'd like to:

    • Run an access point inside the trailer so that all devices in here have the strongest possible signal
    • Have access to at least a few ports on said access point for wired connections
    • Be using the supplied SSID, just with a strengthened signal

    On a side note, there is an antenna on the trailer that seems to feed two coax jacks. I'm sure this was for satellite dishes, but I googled a bit and saw a post that states that coaxial cable can't handle a 2.4ghz signal, so I'm assuming that won't help me? I was thinking about trying to somehow feed the wifi signal into a dish and down through the coax jacks (then converting it somehow to RJ-45).

    Is there a way to extend an antenna from a router or other access point from inside the trailer to the roof in order to maximize the signal strength? Can I DIY some sort of extended antenna with a wire run to the outside?

    I don't mind flashing custom firmware if DD-WRT on a cheaper router is the best way to go, but I'm more of a coder than a network guy so I wanted to consult with you fine folks here in r/homenetworking!

    TL;DR - What are some of the practical and affordable options to simply strengthen an existing wifi signal while inside the trailer in a way that would also allow for a handful of wired connections for older devices?

    submitted by /u/armadadrive
    [link] [comments]

    Home networking setup help newbie

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 03:01 PM PDT

    Ok need to figure out best plan for this.
    Equipment used https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/

    https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-mesh-router. X2

    https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg1008p/?utm_medium=select-local

    Hooking up 10 lines hardwire. About 31 devices on WiFi

    Ranch home about 3400 sq ft With 1000 sq ft basement workspace aka man cave

    Garage attached to house

    I currently have the Asus in farthest room of house hooked to TP switch .

    I ordered these they will be here Saturday Ubiquity routers x2

    Question is should I hook the Ubiquity up remove Asus ?

    Idea was to run 1 Ubiquity router in place of Asus and then run the other shotgun style to the other end of the house via Cat6 it's already there .

    That would cover the house garage and pool pretty well.

    The office has the most hardwires going to the TP- Switch listed above that will be changed out as soon as I find out what to buy prefer to stay all Ubiquity have about a 500.00 dollar budget ATM dam moving cost are crazy.

    My main question is what switch to buy for Ubiquity and can two be linked together for black hual wired or would something else be better.

    My thinking was I needed 3 hard lines at the Entertainment center 1 Ubiquity there other in the office other end of house.

    Thanks for any help..

    submitted by /u/Poptart4050
    [link] [comments]

    Can i connect 40 led controllers wi fi to a single router?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    It is not a dual band router,is kinda basic. it is posible?

    submitted by /u/Adventurous_Tap
    [link] [comments]

    Help setting up apartment patch panel

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 02:10 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I just moved into an apartment and noticed there were ethernet ports in each room. I found the patch panel, but I'm not sure exactly how to set it up to get the ports active. Hoping it isn't too complicated, I'm not sure if I can move the modem/router to the closet, I have Xfinity if it matters. I've also got a Netgear FS605 switch that's currently unused. No ports are labeled, but I attached a picture below of the whole thing.

    https://imgur.com/TwcKP0S

    submitted by /u/j0hn0b
    [link] [comments]

    Question about old D-link router from someone fairly uninformed about networking.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 01:26 PM PDT

    My landlady has a fairly old Dlink router.

    DIR-605L

    Hardware Version: B1

    Firmware Version: 2.04UI

    It is used by quite a few devices.

    The router will drop the network connection on my Mac laptop at times, especially when I try to stream netflix, and the only way to get it to reconnect is to unplug the modem/router and replug back in.

    I was able to look at the router's log. Anti-spoof checking is enabled and the log shows lines like:

    Port Scan Attack Detect (ip=23.246.24.173) Packet Dropped

    Per-source ACK Flood Attack Detect (ip=23.246.24.173) Packet Dropped

    Whole System ACK Flood Attack from WAN Rule: Default deny

    However I was able to run some linux commands (netstat, lsof) from my macos terminal, and the IP addresses generally are coming through my laptop from legitimate but high traffic applications like dropbox, Chrome, and outlook.

    I was indeed able to speed up my connection and improve performance by closing outlook and uninstalling the dropbox desktop application. However I still can't really stream netflix from my chrome desktop browser.

    Questions:

    -Has anyone else seen false positives like these from a router firewall? Am I reasonable to think they are false positives?

    -What is a good idea for a fix-update hardware, firmware, disable anti-spoofing, etc?

    submitted by /u/makingplans12345
    [link] [comments]

    Phonelex Verizon Cell Phone Signal Booster 4G LTE 700Mhz FDD Band13

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 09:11 AM PDT

    has anyone had good luck with one of these? they are $135 on Amazon. I get 2 out of 5 bars of cell phone signal strength in my house (iPhone 6) and i was looking to purchase a Verizon JeckPack wifi device for online gaming because i am extremely limited in my options for internet access but before i pay $150 for the JetPack i was going to invest in one of these signal boosters and see how much of a difference it makes and if it does significantly boost my signal then i feel much more comfortable about purchasing the JetPack from Verizon. I cant seem to find much information about these online. I was hoping maybe some of you guys have had experience with a device like this or maybe even this exact device. well thanks in advance fellas! Hope those of you that are in the U.S are enjoying the holiday!

    submitted by /u/Disciple2115
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help with telnet commands.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 12:37 PM PDT

    Im looking for the telnet command that allows me to view the real time flowchart monitor for use with ubiquiti

    submitted by /u/PeanutButterGirlXD
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do to place my router elsewhere

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 12:17 PM PDT

    I know I can bridge the router and run it to another, which is what I might do but I have a single coax cable running into the house and I want to swap it out with a longer one or update it to something newer if possible. Any help on wether the upgrade would be worth it or nessicary or some links on how to swap out or splice coax would be appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/root_b33r
    [link] [comments]

    Recently purchased Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 (R7800), constant issues with buffering/stuttering over WiFi

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 12:04 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I purchased this router a week ago, and I'm having a bizarre issue with it. Currently, we have 3 Firesticks, and a Dish Network Hopper setup. When using the YouTube or Netflix app built into the Hopper there is constant buffering and stuttering while streaming, the same applies to the Firesticks. Signal strength is strong, and bandwidth does not appear to be an issue. We have the 300 down/25 up package with Xfinity. I have seen suggestions on here about turning off WMM, and disabling QoS. Which I have done, and the issue still persists. Regardless if the devices are connecting to the 2.4 G or 5 G channels.

    The Hopper and Firesticks appear to be the only things affected by it, other devices that are connected do not have this issue. If more info is needed on what devices are being used they will be listed below. Back to the router, its currently running 1.0.2.62 firmware from Netgear, I think it was using 1.0.2.58 out of the box before it updated (I didn't test how it ran before the firmware update). So now to the odd part, I was using an ASUS AC1900 RT-AC68U (for the past 3 years) which worked great. Never had issues with it buffering/freezing with the Hopper or Firestick TV's. I did test the PS4/Xbox One and everything else with the R7800 and they are able to stream/load everything fine when using the R7800. Is there something I'm missing, or setting that needs to be changed? I currently have the ASUS plugged back in for the time being while relatives are over for the weekend. I bought the Netgear primarily because the range is better, and I liked the additional features it offered over the ASUS. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

    Devices being used on the network;

    1x Dish Hopper + 3 Joey's 3 Firestick TV's ( One of them being a 4K Firestick) Xbox One PS4 Nintendo Switch 2x iPad Air 2's 1x iPad Mini 4 3x Samsung Galaxy S10+ 4 PCs (My main one is hardwired to the router, the others are connected through an ethernet cable + switch in the lower half of the home). 3x Laptops

    submitted by /u/cyborgedbacon
    [link] [comments]

    Recently switched from AT&T Uverse to AT&T Fiber; Google Home and Wyze devices no longer connecting

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 11:57 AM PDT

    I've tried searching but couldn't get a clear answer for this.

    I recently was on an older Uverse plan that had both 2.4 and 5ghz radio channels – my Wzye cam was on the 2.4 signal while my Google Home devices were on the 5. I upgraded to AT&T's Fiber 1000 a week ago and since then I haven't been able to get any of these devices to work. My TCL Roku TV, iPads, iPhones, and gaming systems can connect just fine, but the smart home devices cannot. The combo modem/router from ATT is the same device they gave me for my 40 meg Uverse plan. I've tried many different things, like splitting the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz signals with different SSIDs and trying to connect those devices with my iPhone connected to the 2.4 GHz signal and NOTHING has worked.

    I live in a really small house where a second router really shouldn't be needed – especially since I hadn't needed one previously. Can anyone assist me? I've tried resetting all the devices, routers, factory settings, all that jazz and nothing has worked.

    submitted by /u/Wayne61
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when you run a PoE signal through a non-PoE switch

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 11:39 AM PDT

    Trying to upgrade WiFi but acces-points require a PoE signal but i have a computer alongside that (ac only has a ethernet in port)

    Edit: My plan was to use a Poe switch at my modem, then go through the wiring in pur house, then use a switch to split that signal into one for my A-C and one for my computer

    submitted by /u/shortwhiteguyBE
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel