• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Saturday, July 6, 2019

    Home Networking QuickTip: POE Injectors Are Speed Rated and A lot of Them are 10/100 Only

    Home Networking QuickTip: POE Injectors Are Speed Rated and A lot of Them are 10/100 Only


    QuickTip: POE Injectors Are Speed Rated and A lot of Them are 10/100 Only

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 03:02 PM PDT

    Learned this the hard way when installing a Ubiquiti network. A lot of their routers are only Passive POE, which means that you have to use a POE injector to power Access Points through your ethernet cable.

    I powered the Edge Router with a POE injector on the ETH0 (WAN port or Uplink) port. I kept on wondering why the network wasn't getting the advertised speeds that the ISP was advertising and after a lot of head-scratching I found out that the POE injector only worked on 10/100.

    Anyways, I just wanted to issue a word of caution to everyone who uses POE powered devices and injectors, they definitely have a throughput rating!

    submitted by /u/butter14
    [link] [comments]

    2019: Are the Puma 6 modems fixed yet?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    ISP: Comcast, 23228

    Current Modem: XFINITY XB6

    Package Speed: 150 Mbps/5 Mbps

    Home Size: 1,360 Sqft

    Router: Netgear R7000P

    I was seeking a (non-wireless) modem that will last me a while, powerful, and customizable. I went to Best Buy and got one but turns out it was on the Puma 6 list so I returned it. I am having a hard time finding a modem not on that list and isn't too old. Is there a certain time frame where modems will "refresh' for the next generation, or what? I have included my information here for some help at this.

    I do not have a router yet but it is the one I am considering (Netgear R7000P). Overall trying to replace the Comcast Wireless Modem rental listed above.

    submitted by /u/nightlyblur
    [link] [comments]

    Simple VLAN for a home network

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 01:32 PM PDT

    I have a Archer C7 1750 Router and a Cisco SG250 Smart managed switch.

    I would like create a VLAN (VLAN 10) to act as a home lab network I can mess around on.

    Could someone walk me through step by step how I can configure my router and switch to do this seemingly simple task?

    submitted by /u/ucvb_ucvb
    [link] [comments]

    My apartment has 3 Ethernet ports in the walls. But only 1 works. Am I able to "turn on" the other ones by messing with the wires in the patch panel? (lots of pics included)

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:58 PM PDT

    This has been driving me nuts, I've Googled for hours but I can't understand it. So thanks very much in advance for the help! And before we start, this is my first time ever looking at any of this, so get ready for dumb questions and me getting the name of things wrong:

    Full Patch Panel

    Some strange box

    I believe the phone hookups showing the apartment isn't wired for phone? It's a new building.

    AT&T's box. The light is green when my router is plugged into the Kitchen Port.

    AT&T's Box again showing the grey wire going into DATA 1.

    Some yellow wire going into the grey wire which goes into DATA 1

    Three blue wires with some connectors with Ethernet ports

    So using all of the info in those photos, is there a way to "turn on" the other two Ethernet ports? Let's call the three:

    1) Kitchen Port (works)

    2) Living Room Port (doesn't work)

    3) Bedroom Port (doesn't work)

    Let me know if you need any other info to make a determination, and thanks for the help - I appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/TotallyToucan
    [link] [comments]

    I need help with wifi speeds - arris sbg6700-ac

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:00 PM PDT

    Through a wired connection my speed is 300mpbs consistently. I pay for 400, but I'm sure the modem, 8x4, is the bottleneck. However, I don't know what's wrong with my wifi setup. My speeds are inconsistent and not very fast.

    At the moment I can't hardwire my PS4 and I need it to have priority over anything else on the network. Below I listed most of my wireless settings. But if you have any suggestions on non wireless settings that would optimize the priority and reduce latency, please let me know.

    Device test site speeds@2.4GHz(Mbps) speeds@5GHz(Mbps)
    Playstation 4 Pro 802.11AC PSN 20/0.123 29
    28/0.133 44/4.3
    fast.com 43 55
    Android LG stylo4 fast.com 34/21
    60/23
    ookla 34/18
    58/23
    iphone 6s ookla 25.4/19 55/22
    fast.com 9/12 24/21
    29/23

    Everything is default on the modem/router..

    Wireless security is on WPA2-PSK

    Encryption is on AES(without TKIP)

    WPS enabled

    WPS pin disabled

    Band steering is off (I'm turning it on)*

    airtime quality prioritization is enabled

    WMM Support is on (i'm turning this off)**

    802.11 Mode a/n/ac mode

    bandwidht 20MHz

    Channel 14

    54g Mode 54g Only it's grayed out though

    Xpress Technlogy enalbed

    802.11n PProtection auto

    Multicast rate auto

    beacon interval100

    dtim interval 1

    fragmentation threshold 2346

    RTS threshold 2347

    Wirless multicast forwarding WMF enabled

    \* My rationale behind that is that it would detect AC devices and give them priority, and ** I don't want video or anything taking priority over the PS4

    Bonus questions. What should my ps4 DNS and MTU settings be? My ISP DNS or google.. and MTU can also be set to auto.

    submitted by /u/CrypticGator
    [link] [comments]

    VLANs and Trunking, pfSense router-on-a-stick with DLink DGS-1100-08

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:58 PM PDT

    I'm not fully understanding how to set up pfSense on a laptop (one ethernet port) and VLANs on a managed switch (DGS 1100-08). I've gotten as far as setting up the basic VLANs on the switch and the WAN/LAN interfaces on pfSense.

    Here's what I have so far:

    pfSense: LAN on re0.100, WAN on re0.200

    switch: VLAN 100 (LAN), VLAN 200 (WAN). Better to screenshot my config below to see what ports are tagged/untagged. This is what I'm struggling to understand most- how does a port become a "trunk" port. From what I've gathered, trunking is a Cisco term, and it is not referenced at all on this switch, so I'm guessing there is another nomenclature.

    https://imgur.com/h4IPZfi

    With this VLAN setup, I can reach my pfSense webui. But is this the right way to do it, with eth01 as a tagged port on two VLANs? Does it make sense for the trunk port to be on its own VLAN?

    What I want is port1 as the trunk port with pfSense connected, port2 WAN, and port3-8 LAN.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/thefreshera
    [link] [comments]

    How many LED's can be chained in serial connection when using a 12 volt battery??

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:45 PM PDT

    Wired range extender?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 07:11 PM PDT

    Is there a simple way to extend wifi range through a wire connection? I have an ethernet cable running from my main router in the basement to a room upstairs. What do I need to use this ethernet cable to extend my wifi range?

    submitted by /u/WUTDO11231235
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear Orbi AC2200 vs TP Link Deco M4

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 01:10 PM PDT

    Hi all, I am trying to figure out which to get for my house for full coverage. The house is 2 stories with a basement. Currently I've got a router in the basement with an AP on second floor but the set up is complicated and provides 2 separate networks. (which is not anyone wants)

    I've searched around and I've come down to these two systems but am not able to choose which one would be the best.

    It seems Orbi supports higher speed with tri band set up whereas Deco with dual band set up provides more control over your network. Besides that it seems like both systems have similar performances which makes it harder for me to choose which one.

    For both systems are the satellites connected through wifi with ethernet backhaul?

    Which one would you guys recommend?

    submitted by /u/gizmokrap
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestion for my home network?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:47 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I just upgraded my Spectrum speeds to 400mbps and just ordered an Archer C7 to take advantage of the speeds. Along with this router I have an HP V1910-16G switch (it also has JE005A written on it if that matters) that I acquired but need to reset to factory settings this week.

    In the past I've only setup a router with defaults for the most part, only changing SSID's and such but want to try a bit more this time to try to update my IT skills, would anyone suggest anything I could do to mate everything together? I'll occasionally have guests on my network and would like to keep some of them on a separate, limited network if possible and have a separate Netgear WNDR3400v3 if that would help achieve this. Any help and suggestions to point me in the right direction and/or write-ups would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/ffakeacc
    [link] [comments]

    Using Extra Router as Wifi Extender Question

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:45 PM PDT

    I'm trying to setup and old/extra router to try and extend the range of my wifi. I have an ethernet cable running from my main router that is hooked up to the modem. For the second router do I just take that cable and plug it into the "modem" port of the second router and then through the settings set it to bridge or repeater mode?

    submitted by /u/WUTDO11231235
    [link] [comments]

    Internet Solutions: I need help with my internet speeds

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm 15 years old and my parents are foreign so I am the tech guru in the family but I need help boosting my horrible internet at my house (largely due to my parents not wanting to upgrade). My internet pushes a whopping 2.72 Mbps down and .1 Mbps up THROUGH ETHERNET directly from my ISP-included modem to my PC (the only wifi access point in the whole house, we have 0 routers). I want to achieve speeds where I can comfortably game, Watch HD videos, and not have to worry about lag. I'm looking for some semi-affordable suggestions. We don't have cable TV or landlines in my house so our internet package is strictly for the internet. Also, our house is on one floor but it covers a lot of ground so one router doesn't cut it in terms of equal connectivity. I have heard about adding routers and the concept of mesh-wifi to increase range for wireless devices but another problem that I have is wiring. We have one ethernet cable running from wherever my ISP put it, into a wall jack that then connects to my modem. Most or all of the wiring is done through the basement and its only one wire so I don't know how I would split it. But I feel like the first bridge to cross is speeds because I struggle to watch videos in decent definition without buffering. I'm asking for your help because I recently built my gaming PC, but what is a decked out PC going to do when you're constantly lagging. And I'm pretty sure my ISP is Frontier for the record. Thank You for helping :)

    submitted by /u/asakly10
    [link] [comments]

    Ping to default gateway is unstable (Korcett managed router)

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 06:19 PM PDT

    Hello, I live in an apartment and the entire complex's networking is managed by Korcett. 10 months ago I started experiencing dropped packets to the default gateway, they fixed it after 3 months, but since 7 months ago I have been experiencing latency issues to my default gateway. They have been resetting the router services as a temp fix to my problem, and they do not seem keen to fixing my issue as 7 months have passed and there haven't been any changes.

    It is not a wiring issue because, once they reset the services the packet loss and latency is fixed.

    Would anyone have any idea as to what might be the issue here?

    https://imgur.com/a/sgH0W3A

    submitted by /u/zarkangelks1
    [link] [comments]

    Wifi Extender with Ethernet?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 02:17 PM PDT

    Hey Guys!

    So, my lady and I just started renting a guest house together. We're currently getting our internet from the main house (where the land-lords live); because the guest house wasn't wired for home internet (and...we're cheap).

    Our living room and master bedroom face the main house and get the Wifi signal just fine. Unfortunately, my home office is on the other side and barely gets a signal that isn't very usable (probably because it's having to go through another set of plaster walls). This home office was actually a later addition to the guest house so I believe the wall is actually thicker than a normal in-door wall would be (it also retains heat like crazy).

    My first attempt to fix was using a simple wireless extender (one for like $30 on Amazon). The results weren't very good and I ended up taking it back. My second attempt to fix was to buy a much more powerful router to hook into our landlords modem. This helped speeds in the middle of the house (bathroom and kitchen) but didn't do much for the office. I'm probably going to take this new router back since it's not worth the money just to have better wifi in the kitchen.

    Now I'm wondering if trying to use ethernet might be the best way to do things. I recently rant cables from my PC in my home office all the way to my living room so I could connect my PC to a steamlink and play steam games on my PC. It's working really well now so I'm wondering if I can perhaps just do the opposite. Is there an affordable wireless extender that I could set up in my living room (which gets a good signal), and then simply run ethernet to the PC in my office? Does this sound like it will work and if so is there anything special I'll need?

    submitted by /u/MalachiX
    [link] [comments]

    Troubleshooting my 5GHz Connection

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 05:59 PM PDT

    I have a UniFi AP AC Pro in my living room with a 5GHz network setup with a 40MHz bandwidth and the channel set to Auto. I don't have much competition for any wireless networks on that radio frequency, so that felt like the best option.

    The speed and the network itself is great, but I want to be able to stream my Xbox One to my computer to game. About once every 30-60 seconds, for about 5 seconds, the game will just start to skip and lag out on me and then go right back to speed. It's on a Medium setting, so it should be fine. My Xbox is hard wired to the network and the AP itself is a whole 10 feet away with nothing in between me and the AP.

    Is there anything that I can do to reduce this weird lag that happens or to find what the problem is? My network isn't busy when I play and there isn't anyone else using the network.

    submitted by /u/failcookie
    [link] [comments]

    Found New Unopened TM-AC1900 Asus Router That I Got At One Point But Never Used...Can It Still Be Modded to the RT-AC68U (or Similar) or Am I Out Of Luck?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 11:51 AM PDT

    I am planning to upgrade my network in the future because my wifi upstairs sucks, but in the mean time, I was hoping to use this to broaden my network. However, my cursory search makes it seem as though this is no longer an option.

    1. Can my TM-AC1900 still be upgraded to Asus RT-AC68U software?
    2. If not, can DD-WRT or be installed to achieve a similar result?
    submitted by /u/MainStudy
    [link] [comments]

    Identifying Double NAT

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 08:46 AM PDT

    I have been facing double NAT issue on my Xbox for a long time and I am unable to resolve it.

    I do not have any fancy double router configuration. I have a fiber line from the ISP and a fiber-to-rj45 converter which provides a connection to my router.

    I access the router console with the IP: 192.168.31.1

    This is traceroute to 8.8.8.8

    https://imgur.com/a/VC8qild

    Internet info

    https://imgur.com/a/ZjXy5CV

    Edit: adding additional info.

    submitted by /u/xBlackSwagx
    [link] [comments]

    can TPLINK omada cloud controller hardware (OC200) work with other brand Access Points?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    I know Omada controller integrates with omada compatible devices.. i've setup a few already.

    But this time i have an existing wifi network of several APs of different brands (ASUS mostly)

    All works great as is, but this time i wanted to use OMADA controller for the captive portal features (i need to better manage wifi users and stop using SSID / pass to give access to guests )

    I actually kinda tested this, i connected my PC on the network and put omada in the middle..

    I dont have any APs in omada (since it can't detect my existing APs).. but what i did was manually configured the IP of a workstation (connected through LAN) and pointed its settings (gateway, dns) to Omada Controller's IP address.

    I then visited a non HTTPS website on my browser , but the omada Captive Portal i've set isn't intercepting the connection.. i dont see any login screen, just the usual can't connect error.

    Strange coz, from this workstation, I am able to ping OMada IP..

    but i can't ping nor tracert google.com

    but if i ping google's IP directly, i'm able to get through!

    and if i change the workstation's DNS to google's dns (8.8.8.8) then WorkStation is able to browse websites normally

    PS
    I know of several alternatives like PFSENSE, but i wanna use Omada for several reasons.

    submitted by /u/MojoTojoPH
    [link] [comments]

    Creating an IKEv2 Server on Ubuntu 18.04

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 03:26 PM PDT

    Hopefully, someone has experience with this - I've also posted in r/VPN and r/raspberry_pi. I Have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ that is running Ubuntu Server 18.04 headless, which I access through SSH on my local network through an assigned static IP or outside of it. I'm trying to create an IKEv2/IPSec VPN server using StrongSwan on my Raspberry Pi using the guide from DigitalOcean: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-ikev2-vpn-server-with-strongswan-on-ubuntu-18-04-2 which I'm following closely. After completing each step and installing relevant CA certificates, both my Windows 10 machine and my iPhone cannot connect to my VPN server and says that the server is not responding. I've forwarded the relevant ports (UDP 500 + 4500) on my router, and I'm using a DDNS in place of my public address to connect, which I've configured accordingly when creating the server. I'm going for IKEv2 specifically as I want native support on my devices, and I chose IKE over L2TP as IKEv2 is faster, is more secure, and can't be blocked as easily.

    My next step is a clean install of Ubuntu Server, and trying to install using Algo on my Raspberry Pi, but if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd be happy to listen.

    submitted by /u/aprils_renegade
    [link] [comments]

    Split DNS Problem with Microsoft RRAS VPN Server

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 03:18 PM PDT

    I'm been labbing always on VPN as I need to learn it for work, I've set it up. Basically I installed RRAS/NPS on an existing active directory domain I have.

    The VPN works and I can connect successfully, get out to the internet but I can't communicate with other devices on the network due to this DNS Issue.

    My active directory domain is called "domain.com" (just a random domain name that I don't even own public DNS for). So my DNS records (specifically the domain, domain controllers etc are all under domain.com within internal DNS).

    The issue is when I connect to the VPN, if I try to communicate with machines on the internal network it will try resolve the name of them through public DNS. Public DNS returns random public IP addresses, not the private IP addresses.

    Is this expected behaviour? I added a new forward lookup zone in dns for random.local and everything works fine. Surely people have run into this problem though in the wild where they use split DNS for their Active Directory domain name? I know its best practice to use internal.domain.com as AD domain name but not everyone does that.

    Here is my VPN Client IPConfig (what I think is relevant to reduce bloat)

    Windows IP Configuration

    PrimaryDnsSuffix: domain.com

    DNS Suffix Search List: domain.com

    Ethernet adapter:

    IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.105 (Preferred)

    Subnet Mask: 192.168.1.1

    DNS Servers: 8.8.8.8

    PPP adapter Template

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix: testdomain.com

    IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.204

    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

    DNS Servers: 192.168.1.101

    While I have been writing this I just remembered this pre-requisite of the always on VPN deployment guide, number one here. I wonder if this is why that pre-requisite exists? As it doesn't explain it.

    submitted by /u/TheSecondRunPs1
    [link] [comments]

    Other people on 4G network slowing us down?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 03:09 PM PDT

    For the last 8 months the primary connection in my household has been a 4G router with SIM. We're close to the nearest mast so we got good speeds and stability, good enough for gaming, netflix, browsing - whatever.

    However, over the last two/three months it's been ridiculously slow during the day, and only goes back up to near the speeds we had before overnight.

    At first I thought it was because there were 4 people living in the house, all connected doing their own thing, and when they went to bed that I was able to get faster speeds. But this week I'm the only person in the house, with only 1 device connected via ethernet, the wifi is disabled and I'm still getting ping spikes up to 1000+ ms with an average of about 200.

    So my question is: if other people in the area have switched to a 4G router and were doing some kind of intensive use of bandwidth, could it impact on me?

    If not, then does anyone have any suggestions what could be causing these issues?

    I intend to ring my ISP tomorrow but I wanted to be armed with some knowledge from here first!

    submitted by /u/JokeMonster
    [link] [comments]

    HP MSR930 slow performance

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 03:08 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I've bought a used HP MSR930 JG511A for home use. I've set everything up, just a basic setup, NAT, WAN, LAN and a couple of VLANS. But now here's the first issue. I have a 1Gbps network plan, and speedests are only showing ~600Mbps Download/Upload, while my old crappy Technicolor router is almost able to pull it off at around 900-950Mbps. I remember I've had a similar issue with an Edgeroute, where I had to enable hardware offloading for the speed to actually reach 1gbps. Is something like that possible for MSR930 ?

    submitted by /u/Mysteriousbucket
    [link] [comments]

    Double NAT

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 09:48 PM PDT

    So, my brother is getting a double NAT message on his Xbox. This is is wifi setup:

    Modem -> Router -> Outside CPE setup as an AP -> Outdoor CPE setup as client -> Router -> Xbox

    The two routers are wifi routers with different SSID. I am pretty sure the issue is because of the two routers, I am not sure on how to fix it exactly. If I throw the second router into bridge mode, then the speed slows down significantly. Ideas?

    submitted by /u/FortemLupus
    [link] [comments]

    How to reduce bufferbloat without a QoS option?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 02:35 PM PDT

    I have a C7000-100NAS router. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the ability to use QoS. But when looking at dslreport my internet gets a D in that section.

    I've googled many options and they all involve using QoS which Nighthawk Genie does not have.

    submitted by /u/IIJs
    [link] [comments]

    Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller suddenly stops working!

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    Hello, first timer here.

    My dad and I for the life of us figure out why my new PC suddenly lost Ethernet capability a few days ago.

    We've reinstalled driver, disabled Ethernet, updated driver, adjusted driver advanced settings, etc.

    We've looked up tons of different posts online seeing if we can find a solution and none have worked thus far.

    We purchased another Ethernet wire and it didn't work either. We went to Best Buy today, they slipped an Ethernet cable at the Geek Squad in and it worked just fine! The modem at home connected to the adjacent older PC works just fine. It's just my new PC is having this issue. (Broadcom is on the older PC)

    There was a power outage and we believe that could be part of why this started happening. The Ethernet just keeps saying "Unidentified Network" and troubleshooting says there are IP configuration issues.

    I'm at a loss since getting this new PC for a 2 PC Twitch Streaming setup has been an utter nightmare. From monitor issues, to this Ethernet issues, on and on.

    I would greatly appreciate any assistance and I will keep y'all posted if we find a solution elsewhere. Thank you for taking time to read this and have a great weekend! ————————————————————————- UPDATE: We believe that the power surge has corrupted the network protocol. However this doesn't make sense because at Best Buy the Geek Squad Ethernet connection worked normally. Home Modem to older PC works just fine...this is the most bizarre situation I've ever experienced.

    submitted by /u/CrocOnA3Wheeler
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel