• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Sunday, September 23, 2018

    What do you use for documenting what patch panel port goes to what switch port etc. Networking

    What do you use for documenting what patch panel port goes to what switch port etc. Networking


    What do you use for documenting what patch panel port goes to what switch port etc.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 11:46 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a piece of software for documenting network ports. Currently I'm using a spreadsheet, but I'd like a better way of doing it. Is there anything out there better suited than NetBox? When I played with it I found the patch port and switch port stuff lacking. I'm aiming for a graphical representation of switches and patch panels, where it shows you what is connected where.

    submitted by /u/PlannedObsolescence_
    [link] [comments]

    Back to back vPC and static routing on Nexus 9K?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 01:18 AM PDT

    I have a design question. Will I run into any issues if I do back to back vPC with two pairs of N92160YC's, each pair in its own vPC domain?

    I want to do HSRP across all 4 N9K's, and there will only be static routing to single attached routers (which also will be using HSRP).

    I've been trying to find an answer to this in the documentation, but most of the limitations I found seem to be related to dynamic routing. Are there any such limitations with static routing?

    submitted by /u/Pluppooo
    [link] [comments]

    Is QOS traffic shaping necessary or worth it if your bandwidth is more than enough to handle it?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 11:52 AM PDT

    Here is my scenario I am running into. We live stream video to uStream and the connection is glitchy at best.

    We have a Gigabit up and down fiber internet connection from Centurylink. Speedtest confirms the speed and connection are good.

    The computer pushing the stream is a 1 year old iMac on a gig ethernet connection to a Cisco 2960 which then trunks over to a 3750 and then finally to our 4506 and Fortinet 600D firewall. All devices are connected over a gig interface.

    at our peak during the live stream I only see around 200mb on the upload side of my interface from 4506 to firewall for internet traffic so we have tons of bandwidth available yet we still have this bad connection with uStream.

    The stream is only around 20Mb and most of the time we have around 800Mb free on upload. Is there any reason to still do some traffic shaping to give the stream priority on the link?

    Cheers,
    Chris

    submitted by /u/cholubaz
    [link] [comments]

    Aruba 8400: Anyone actually using it?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 10:14 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    We are looking at a few different core options, and Juniper/Aruba are the front runners. One of the solutions is two 8400 chassis, however, there isn't a lot of information on them online, except what Aruba has put out.

    Is anyone actually using these switches? If so, how do you like it? Any gotcha's we should be aware of? Do you actually use the analytics engine?

    Any insight is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/srich14
    [link] [comments]

    Help finding good material for listening in the car.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 02:30 PM PDT

    So just as the title says... I would love to get some help finding good material to listen to while driving my car. Not just material but educational IT/Networking material. Lots of tutorials have a video and audio explaining examples done in it but i'm looking for a pure audio tutorial so that i can improve my tech skills while also driving.

    Things like podcasts that is IT educational preferably more than just the greatest and latest in IT industry those i get from my news feed more of how-to audios,podcasts, mp3s whatevs. Do they exist? I have tried to find but cannot find anything satisfying enough :)

    Thx in advance networkers of reddit!

    submitted by /u/trickjay
    [link] [comments]

    Transit network use case.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 01:30 PM PDT

    How often do / where you use transit networks? I'm struggling to understand the main objective of this concept.

    submitted by /u/fishbowlz1337
    [link] [comments]

    Routing

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 04:49 PM PDT

    Concerned about some devices hiding on my network outside of the normal private IP ranges.

    Would it be effective to drop all packets from inside the network outside of the range of say 192.168.0.(1-256) to make network scanning more reasonable?

    Any ideas for how to effectively limit device usage inside the network and ensure there aren't any devices operating clandestinely by connecting to my wifi or piggybacking on other connections?

    submitted by /u/AMAInterrogator
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions: cross-platform, syncable SSH / Telnet session managers for teams

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 08:44 AM PDT

    Anyone have suggestions? Currently my team uses SecureCRT, but it's cumbersome to have to export sessions and share between everyone whenever there is a change.

    We recently started testing out Termius, which seems awesome, but I've had a few bugs on the desktop client.

    submitted by /u/Eusono
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice on a Nexus deployment

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 10:38 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    This past week our main Nexus/Cisco NetEng was let go from our workplace, and I've been asked to step in and continue the Core redesign project he had started.

    We currently have 2 locations that each have a 6509 Chassis that we need to replace/upgrade as our core switch. We have Nexus 5k's (5596's) that we are going to move over to. Some starting work was done with this, and some initial links were moved to this (routed back through the 6509 for the time being). We have several Nexus 3k's (3048TP's I believe) that we are going to use for Access layer (our networks aren't large enough in my thought to justify needing a distribution layer for at least the next 5 years or so).

    As this is going to be my first core rebuild using Nexus, I wanted to check and see if I'm looking at this the right way. Our current setup is:

    in our DC (where I want to try and focus first) is 9 racks. not fully populated (we could slim down to 6, but don't want to move anything if we don't have to). We have several shelves of Oracle NAS storage, and servers running VM's for all of our network and production gear. We have 4 dedicated 'zones' for how our traffic is segmented: Trust (internal/corp), DMZ (internal but NAT's through our firewall for external in/outbound traffic), Guest wireless and External/Untrust. Some of the servers have separate links for internal and DMZ connections based on the needs.

    What my thoughts are on this build is:

    Use the 3k's we have as access layer. Begin by setting up the switches back to the core with two 10g links minimum each in PC Trunks with VLAN's that are needed for those sections. Deploy the 3k's in 'separated' segments, as in a switch for Internal is dedicated to all trusted/corp, another for the links that go to the DMZ. We currently have a set of switches that is dedicated for part of the NAS deployment, but I need more feedback from the server team to see if we can merge all the traffic on one, or if we need to separate it out to give it more bandwidth or recovery.

    I'm also wondering if we should deploy the 3k's in stacked pairs (VPC or HSRP, still reading up on the specifics of how this works), or if we could/should do single switches, and have a spare available to drop in if something goes south.

    I'd really appreciate some feedback on this for anyone that may have done a similar or has a similar deployment. Forgive me if my phrasing or ideas are completely wrong, I'm learning on this and want to make sure I do it right from the start! :)

    submitted by /u/rushaz
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice on new network architecture

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 06:37 AM PDT

    Greetings! Looking for advice on redoing our company's infrastructure. Currently we have a small dark fibre switched network running between C3560-Xs and a C2960-X at 1Gb, with a bunch of smaller satellite sites connected via various ways... 1Gb fiber, or VPN tunnels through the firewall. The way we're going is to change this setup into a much cleaner metro ethernet setup. But I don't have much first-hand experience in it, only in the lab. We're supposed to have EVCs from the smaller sites set up with two paths each, one to one data centre, and another to the other data centre. One data centre will have a fibre WAN link and a firewall. We're all Cisco, and that's where my current experience is. But if our provider is doing things like Q-in-Q, I'm not sure we have the capability right now to decapsulate that cleanly, as we're at IP and LAN base, not to mention our shit is pretty old. We're prepared to spend some $ but I want to make sure it's getting spend wisely. I need to figure out what should be placed at each smaller site, and something newer and beefier at the two data centres to act as head-ends.

    First though, I need to consider whether what I need are even routers, or what would be best here are good layer 3 switches. We are planning on each site having about 5 VLANs or so. They would stay connected locally at the site and would only need to be routed through one SVI ideally. Is anybody else running this kind of setup?

    submitted by /u/Millstone50
    [link] [comments]

    Router with advanced whitelisted domains

    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 08:28 AM PDT

    I am looking for a router that can download a list of domains from a webservice in order to whitelist/blacklist them on selected computers. Is there anything like this?
    Or any router in which i can paste the list of whitelisted/blacklisted sites and not add them one by one like on my current model?

    submitted by /u/shruty
    [link] [comments]

    Possible TCP Issue?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 05:33 PM PDT

    I was troubleshooting user complaints of an app performing slowly across the WAN.

    I observed the user try to load up a database in the app, and it did indeed take forever. About 3.5 to 4 minutes to load. The entire time, just waiting at a spinning screen.

    I ran pcaps on both ends while it was loading.

    Not sure what I expected to see, probably tons of drops and retransmits etc

    Instead what I was greeted with was this:

    The entire time the user sat waiting for the app to load, the server and client were busy constantly exchanging packets. There was no hanging, no gap in packets.. i.e. no "silent periods." Just a constant, steady clockwork stream of tiny, tiny 50-100 Byte packets sent by the Server, each one ACK'ed by the client.

    Are you kidding me? What the hell?

    Not a single packet was lost or arrived out of order, etc. The TCP Dump looked beautiful. Very clean. It just so happened to take absolutely FOREVER for the entire load to be sent over to the client, because it was sending such small packets and waiting for an ACK from the client before it sent the next one. With a mere 100ms of latency, this led to literal 4+ MINUTE waits to load any screen.

    This.. has to be a TCP Windowing issue, right? If the server could send 1526 byte packets then it'd complete 60% faster.

    I observed the client load a few other apps like Outlook and Web, and window scaling seemed to work like normal. Same for on the server. Without getting into Windows TCP Window settings, I observed normal window scaling behavior on both client and server.

    SO... what gives? Is this just how the application is designed? I don't really understand what's going on here.

    I'm guessing I might have to dig into registery editor and start messing with TCP settings for Windows?

    It's clear to me if the server could send typical 1526 or larger byte packets the operation would probably complete 60% faster...

    submitted by /u/Norhell
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel