• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, September 25, 2018

    Was Windows 8 in some way a failed attempt to gain control of software distribution? Windows Help

    Was Windows 8 in some way a failed attempt to gain control of software distribution? Windows Help


    Was Windows 8 in some way a failed attempt to gain control of software distribution?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 01:02 PM PDT

    I watched a YouTube video recently which included an argument that Windows 8 was an attempt by Microsoft to control distribution and sales of programs by itself via its app Store, interfering with distribution platforms like Steam and other purveyors of software in the post CD-ROM era.

    In its time I already assumed that Windows 8's awful full-screen Start menu was a failed attempt to emulate a touchscreen OS on a desktop. But I had not heard that people were afraid that the problem was bigger than a bonehead mistake and this was really about Microsoft trying to railroad average users into using the Store with the ultimate goal of making the Windows OS a more closed environment.

    The idea makes sense-- Windows 8 forced users into its "Store" and its apps while downplaying the traditional means of installing programs and viewing them. The "Start" button opens all that Metro app crap instead of presenting a list of installed programs like past versions of windows.

    But was that really a threat? Was that really the goal of Windows 8, or was it just a plain ol' crappy UI?

    submitted by /u/roachqueen32
    [link] [comments]

    Chrome 69 will keep Google Cookies when you tell it to delete all cookies

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:08 AM PDT

    Microsoft releases platform to build company-specific skills for Cortana

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:39 AM PDT

    E-mail client that can use a specific internet connection?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:17 PM PDT

    I have a 2017 Surface Pro with LTE that I have connected to my work domain via proxied ethernet. The proxy blocks my e-mail IMAP server, so I have been unplugging the ethernet cable and disabling the proxy server setting to get the LTE connection to kick in for my e-mail to come in. It's a pain in the ass and I'd like a more elegant solution.

    Does a mail client that I can configure to only use my LTE connection exist?

    submitted by /u/greensha
    [link] [comments]

    Installing to a small SSD (partition size 110gb)

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:19 PM PDT

    When I Google around for the minimum size for a 10 install, everyone says 100gb is plenty of space as long as I have another drive for non-os stuff. Well I do, so I went and grabbed a 120gb SSD and I'm trying to install Windows on it. I have a USB stick with the win10 installer that I boot to and try to use, but when the time comes to choose a partition, the installer won't allow me to install to my SSDs partition. It says the reason is in the log, so I open up the log in notepad and as far as I can tell, it's rejecting disc 0 partition 1 because it's not big enough.

    So what gives, will the installer really not even let you try to install to a 110gb partition? Or do I need to reformat the SSD in some way?

    I'll edit in inages of the logs in a minute

    submitted by /u/detroitmatt
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 10 recovery USB

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:46 PM PDT

    A couple years ago my hdd failed in my laptop so i got a new one and also a recovery USB drive to re install windows on the new hdd. Im building a PC now and wondering if i can use the same drive or if its specific to certain computers? I just pulled the USB out of my drawer today and see it has a sticker that says y40-70/y50-70/y50-70touch which is the laptop i needed it for, so this leads me to think no. Anyone know for sure?

    submitted by /u/HOOKshoTT_
    [link] [comments]

    Tv not connecting

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:41 AM PDT

    So I connected my tv via hdmi and it worked but then I changed the resolution so it turned off and keeps saying not supported on the tv whenever I plug it to the laptop and I can't change the resolution back because I activated showing on display 2 only (tv) which isn't working and whenever I plug tv to laptop the laptop screen turns off..so how can I reset the settings that I changed earlier?

    submitted by /u/Alnaqeeb78
    [link] [comments]

    Windows 7 EOL Extension

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:44 AM PDT

    What are the odds Microsoft extends the windows 7 extended support deadline?

    submitted by /u/AtariFX
    [link] [comments]

    Skeptical about "restore"

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:38 PM PDT

    My Windows 7 machine, on which I run my small business, finally bit the dust this past weekend. My daughter had the foresight to back up in 9/16, for me, to an external hard drive. I'm now using her "old" Windows 10 Dell laptop. I've been searching for files through the gazillions of backed up files, without much luck. Should I just "restore"? Will I lose stuff I already have on this machine (nbd, really.) Will I be sorry? :) Thanks, in advance.

    Edit: to clarify, by "restore", I mean select the external hard drive's "restore" option."

    submitted by /u/Ponimama
    [link] [comments]

    Windows update HELP!

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:10 PM PDT

    Guys, I am at my wit's end here...I need some extreme help, please. I recently swapped from, 1703 to 1803 after asking my friend's how the update was, all of them seemed to agree they enjoyed it and hadn't been experiencing any issues with it...that wasn't the same in my case, lol.

    I install 1803 and my games go to shit, as is expected after experiencing 1709 at that update's launch.

    I did a clean install of W10 and I am currently at Version 1511...now, everything is running better than it ever has, that's for sure, but now I've run into a bug while trying to play Dragon Ball Fighterz and most solutions seem to lead to updating Windows, now, that's what I'm trying to do, but I'm not trying to go straight back to 1803....

    How do I do that? At first, my system was downloading 1709, I was, like, "Oh, sweet, I don't have to deal with 1803's bullshit." I come back to check on it 30min later and now it says it's downloading 1803, lol...

    How in the fucking world do I escape 1803 and just install a version that was working perfectly fine for me previously before installing 1803? Someone, please, help...I'm losing my mind here.

    Edit: I'm sorry for the lack of flair, I literally do not have that option while writing this post. >_>

    submitted by /u/roodeeee
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up keyboard shortcuts to enable/disable certain combinations of monitors

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:20 AM PDT

    Hey, not sure if this is the correct sub for this question, lmk if not.

    Basically I have my PC connected to three monitors in my room, and to the TV in my living room (via a massive HDMI cable). I would like to set up a system where I can press a keyboard shortcut (or a button) and it disables the three monitors in my room and enables the TV. Also vice versa.

    I was thinking of something like AHK but I don't know where the correct registry keys are (I found where the different display configs are saved but don't know where the current one is 'set'). If there's some software that does something similar that would also work.

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/gautampk
    [link] [comments]

    Restore Windows 7 Start Menu

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 03:21 PM PDT

    I know it is Windows 7 but still please try to help. How do I restore the default start menu program list in Windows 7 if I cleared it?. The Start Menu is blank right now and I want to get the default programs back.

    submitted by /u/joesmith0789
    [link] [comments]

    Any way to control OneDrive without paying for the TB?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 02:33 PM PDT

    OneDrive is an abomination and is seriously destroying my Windows 10 experience. I want to use it for things like autosaving in Microsoft Office and that's about it. It backs up my desktop and files which of course immediately fills the free space. Any time I delete the things from OneDrive it deletes them from my actual desktop. This is utter BS and I'm really tired of it. I can't sync my OneNote notebooks across devices and Word and Excel now takes 4 menus to save because the autosave doesn't work and it forces me to make a copy.

    What can I do?

    submitted by /u/zincinzincout
    [link] [comments]

    Reinstall windows 10 on a formatted laptop with a previdous OEM windows 7 key

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 03:43 AM PDT

    Hey my computer completely broke down and was stuck on automatic repair screen. It also gave me an error when i tried to factory reset through that menu, so I had to completely wipe my HDD and start over again.

    My problem is I dont have the windows key for the windows 7 OEM that was on my laptop. I installed windows from a CD and i have to activate within 30 days, and also have to to upgrade to windows 10. I thought the computer version was connected to windows so i wouldnt need any key

    So what do I do?

    submitted by /u/independentTeamwork
    [link] [comments]

    How do I restore utilman.exe back to normal after resetting password?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:46 AM PDT

    Windows Defender keeps saying I have a trojan called "Win32/AccessibilityEscalation.A" as utilman.exe, but I believe it's a false positive, cause I did the password bypassing thing.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/9ckmnr/how_to_remove_forgotten_local_administrator/
    So I'm gonna hold back on removing everything and reinstalling Windows for now, let me know if I can fix it and if it is actually a trojan.

    submitted by /u/Muhfuga
    [link] [comments]

    How can i increase my headphone volume?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 04:03 AM PDT

    So, basically, i have wireless headphone and when i connect it to my phone via bluetooth it gives a lot of sound. Very loud sound but when i connect to my laptop via cable i can't make it as loud as much as i can do via bluetooth. Is there a way me to make it louder?

    Note: Laptop doesn't detect my headphone via bluetooth.

    Note 2: Yes i checked all my sound settings, all 100 and i listen musics from soundcloud.

    submitted by /u/alperkagn
    [link] [comments]

    Help with installing OS

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 01:40 AM PDT

    I got a desktop from someone, they had deleted everything from the PC including windows. The desktop has no recovery drive because I've tried clicking F11 for system restore and it goes black. My question is if I make a restore USB from a laptop better version of windows but same brand as the desktop, will I be able to restore to the windows version from the laptop? What do I need to do to get this desktop working. Desktop had windows Vista on it my laptop has windows 10 on it I made a recovery drive (flash drive) from my laptop and inserted to the desktop tried to restore or recover and it gets to 85 percent and then fails. Also I have a brand new esata harddrive 1terabyte can I swap the hard drives and some how get a version of windows on it?

    submitted by /u/acidburn101
    [link] [comments]

    What’s new in Windows Server 2019 Storage Spaces Direct

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 12:28 AM PDT

    With Windows Server 2016 quickly gaining maturity and looking on the horizon to the next Windows Server operating system, Windows Server 2019, there are certainly a great number of new enhanced features soon to come with the latest Microsoft Windows Server operating system. Especially exciting from a hypervisor standpoint when thinking about Hyper-V, new enhancements related to the software defined storage front are certainly at the top of the list of new features that administrators will be checking out. With Windows Server 2016, Microsoft introduced Storage Spaces Direct software defined storage solution that allows aggregating locally attached disks contained in Hyper-V cluster nodes as a shared storage volume between cluster nodes.

    In this post we will take a look at New Features in Windows Server 2019 Storage Spaces Direct and see how these bring about exciting new changes to Microsoft's software defined storage solution for Hyper-V converged infrastructure.

    https://www.vembu.com/blog/windows-server-2019-storage-spaces-direct-new-features/

    submitted by /u/cloudexpert77
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with changing Window Color (Aero Theme)

    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 10:44 PM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I've been having a problem and am getting quite frustrated as I've been trying to solve it for over a day to no avail.

    I use a Windows 7 and was changing some settings. I had changed the windows theme to "High Contrast #1". However when I tried to undo this change by selecting "Windows 7", the window colors (toolbar and windows) did not change from the basic theme's despite the fact that the icon at the bottom of the screen says it has!

    My current guess is that Aero was turned off due to the theme switch. I've tried to find any sign that it is on/off but haven't had any results. Clicking the "Windows color" icon is supposed to give this screen but it instead gives this screen!


    I am all out of ideas, restarting with different settings enabled/disabled have made no difference and most google searches have been ineffective. Do any of you guys perhaps have any experience with this?

    I have tried "scf /scannow", have tried "net stop uxsms/net start uxsms" and too many other solutions to count (including posts on /r/techsupport and the Microsoft forums) so I'm at the end of my rope now so I just hope that one of you guys could help me!

    Thanks a lot guys :)

    submitted by /u/CCAugnator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel