• Breaking News

    [Android][timeline][#f39c12]

    Tuesday, September 25, 2018

    Home Networking Updating Router SSID & Password is "not needed" and "a matter of personal preference" Apparently...

    Home Networking Updating Router SSID & Password is "not needed" and "a matter of personal preference" Apparently...


    Updating Router SSID & Password is "not needed" and "a matter of personal preference" Apparently...

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 02:26 PM PDT

    This is what an engineer for a reputable ISP / TV Services provider told me today.

    He arrives late, takes 1hr 30mins to install the TV & broadband and when he's showing my mum how to use her new equipment, she asks me to set up the broadband before I go home. My mum said she was going to keep one of the credentials cards (with the default SSID & password on) so I reassured her that I'll change it to something more secure and give her the new credentials.

    "Well it's up to you. It's a matter of personal preference is all that I'll say" the engineer responds.

    Mum: Do you REALLY NEED to change the credentials then Jonathan?

    Me: Of course... If you leave it as the default, then it's not secure because they (hackers) can find out your router models which makes it easier to hack. (Tbh I was just bewildered at the lack of concern from the engineer).

    Mum (to the engineer): Can they?

    Engineer: SOMETIMES. Sometimes they can - but it's not really needed, is it? But like I say, personal preference.

    I don't know why I'm so "wTf ARe u SerIoUS?" about it, but I remember it being one of the most fundamental things I learnt in the earliest of Networking lessons in college. It doesn't surprise me to see an engineer for a leading company not really bothered either way about your security, but at the same time, it kinda does.

    Anyway, just felt like I had to rant about this somewhere lol

    submitted by /u/ichbinjonny
    [link] [comments]

    Powerline Adapter vs. Wifi extender for gaming

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 11:46 AM PDT

    I live in a house where my room is too far from the router to get consistent wifi. I purchased a wifi range extender (TP-Link AC750) and it works fine for streaming tv and movies and stuff on my Xbox but for gaming the latency is too high. I know powerline adapters are a crap shoot but comparatively to a range extender I should get lower latency for gaming right?

    Also, would there be any way to test for a powerline adapter?

    submitted by /u/bdm722
    [link] [comments]

    Erratic router behavior

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:44 AM PDT

    Hey guys. My home network has been acting up for months now..and everytime i complain to the isp all they do is reset the damn router. If i complain even more, they replace it but even after replacing it with the exact same model, the problem persists. I have two access points set up and around 12 devices connected when everyone is at home. This morning, i could access facebook, but not youtube. Two days ago, some of the devices on the network could not connect to the internet and just keep showing the exclamation mark, while others were completely fine. Switching the router on and off fixes the issue but how many times am i going to keep doing it. I want to get a new router but am not sure if the issue is the router or something to do with the isp configurations. Can anyone shed some light on what is going on.

    submitted by /u/ianmg
    [link] [comments]

    Need a wireless usb dongle that picks up 80mhz channel. Any suggestions?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 02:40 PM PDT

    Just got fiber through att, and have found the best performance for most of our devices to be when I'm running on 80mhz.

    Only problem is my roommates WiFi card can't pick it up.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jbuffy
    [link] [comments]

    HDD 5400 rpm not fast enough to 240 mb in multiple connection ?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:33 PM PDT

    Hello, I just upgraded my connection to 240 mb/20mb, I have a notebook with an ssd and hdd 5400 rpm, When I try to download using a download manager with multiple connections my HDD cannot keep the the speed of connection, is that normal? With the ssd I have no problems.

    submitted by /u/ramosfilipe
    [link] [comments]

    Best Option for 1940's Apartment Building?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:29 PM PDT

    I am moving into an apartment building that my family has recently renovated, with my best friend in the apartment directly below me. We want to share wifi to split costs, and think a mesh/hub system would be best for our needs.

    We both have gaming pc's and would like to hardwire, but since the building is so old there is no ethernet wiring in the walls. We think a mesh/hub system would be best, since most systems have LAN in the satellite hubs.

    It was built with solid concrete foundations on every floor and the walls are super thick, and our contractor (who has no networking experience) thinks that it could block signals enough to make it hard to get a solid connection through the floor to my friend.

    We are both newly moving out and would love y'all to share any advice or experiences to help us make the correct decision for our place! It seems like Ubiquity seems like the best choice, but we hear great things about Google WiFi and Orbi. Thank you for your help :)

    submitted by /u/ThatSaxyGuy69
    [link] [comments]

    Does TP link make good quality router components?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:26 PM PDT

    Looking at ac routers but how do I compare internal components and there quality? Seems like I can pick from Asus netgear d link and tp link and seems like asus is probably the king of quality but I'm wondering what people think of tp link? Is it just budget junk or can it handle hard workloads and has good components?

    submitted by /u/rpelich
    [link] [comments]

    Which routers boot up fast?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:20 PM PDT

    I have a Netgear R7000 router. (It's running the latest firmware.) From power-on, it takes several minutes before WiFi access is available. I have not timed it, but it feels like 3-4 minutes. Is there a router that can boot up in 30 seconds or less? PC's boot up that faster, so why can't a router?

    I appreciate any recommendations for a router that will but up in the shortest time possible.

    submitted by /u/MountainX
    [link] [comments]

    Getting Spectrum 200 mpbs, thinking about buying my own router. Any recommendations for under $60?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 02:03 PM PDT

    I was thinking about getting the NETGEAR AC1200 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Gigabit Ethernet (R6230) as my router and using it along with the free modem Spectrum provides.

    Will this work? The only devices will be my computer, my roommate's computer, my phone, and her phone. We don't do any fancy VPN type stuff and our two rooms are right next to each other and about 300 sq ft in total.

    Is this a good option, or is there another router you'd suggest in my price range? Do I even need gigabit ethernet since I'm not playing video games or anything?

    submitted by /u/Gynandrous
    [link] [comments]

    Way to test Cat 5e cable that has already been run?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 01:56 PM PDT

    Hey folks, I have a question. I have the following setup: Bell Canada Home Hub 3000 -->Apple Airport Extreme -->TP-Link TL-SG1024D Switch -->(30 foot run of Cat 5e from basement to 2nd floor) --> Apple Airport Extreme (bridge mode)-->Apple 2014 iMac

    There is lots of other stuff going on in the network, but this route gives me trouble. I can get Gigabit speeds on my whole network except from the receptacle in the office where I keep the workhorse of my network. In the office, I have Cat 5e running from the wall to an Apple Airport Extreme which has been placed into bridge mode to repeat the wireless network for devices upstairs, and then more cat 5e to the iMac.

    The iMac won't get anything over 100Mbps in tests. Even when I forgo the Office Apple Airport Extreme and plug a line directly into the outlet in the office, I get 100Mbps. I fear when I ran this line 10 years ago, I must've damaged the line somewhere.

    Is there something relatively inexpensive I can purchase to test the line? If the line is faulty, can I run another one from the basement to the attic (Harsh and Cold Canadian Winters, think -45 Celcius at times, and +45 Celcius in the summer) then down to the office again? All other machines on network can communicate with each other and over the net at 1.0Gbps speeds. I only recently noticed issue with the iMac when I got 1.0Gbps internet at my house.

    Thanks for your help!

    :)

    submitted by /u/Zooinks
    [link] [comments]

    Fios Quantum Router + R7000 Nighthawk router (AP). Thinking of scraping the Fios Router and using only the nighthawk. Let me explain.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 03:57 PM PDT

    Hello!

    So a few months ago I shaved the cord with Fios. I returned all my fios equipment and got rid of DVR services in place of a Plex Server, HD HOMERUN and a couple Nivida shields (act as a STB).

    I upgraded my speed to fios Quantum gigabit internet and have been using the fios quantum modem + nighthawk as AP for months. Because my new setup relies heavily on network stability and broadband I feel that using the fios router + NH is hurting the bandwidth to my devices.

    Would it be recommended to just hook up the cat6e from the OTA box outside to the NH and let the NH become my main router and toss the Fios?

    I don't use the coax from fios for anything. All my devices are hardwired except for wireless devices like phones, tablets and cameras.

    submitted by /u/SEEtheREPLAY
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to remove the FiOS Quantum Gateway (Router)?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:33 PM PDT

    I recently switched to Verizon FiOS for their gigabit internet speeds. In the past with Optimum, I had an ASUS RT-N66R as the router (as well as an access point and switch, obviously) and from there multiple access points, switches, and nodes. I had a stock optimum gateway (or modem) that received coxial and send internet to my asus router by Ethernet. Since this was only a gateway (or modem, I've heard gateway was the proper term, if you know, let me know) and not a router, it didn't block port forwarding or any other features. This meant that the modem basically trusted the ASUS router for all the ports and such, so that if I opened a port on the ASUS router, that would be enough to make it visible to the internet. Now, with my new Fios Quantum Gateway Router (that is the name fios gives it), it is a gateway, router, access point, and switch. The features of this router are horrible, and there is no option to disable the router functions and send it to my asus router. It also blocks the port forwarding from the asus router, if I don't double port forward it. I was considering buying a basic gateway only device, like the one I got from optimum, but the people at fios said it could mess up something with my cable boxes that I have around the house.

    My theory about the cable box scenario is that if I were to buy a special package that includes multi-room DVR, it will also add Amazon Alexa support to all of the boxes, and with this, internet is required. So, it would have to go through that gateway's internet features, and I'm assuming by default a regular gateway would have this feature enabled (But I am almost 100 percent sure that with some setting changing in a new basic gateway, I could enable the cable box features). Another thing I noticed in the fios router was in the port forwarding section I found this . I'm not entirely sure, but that might be the port forwarding for the cable boxes. There might be a feature in a standard gateway for this, but you guys can confirm that.

    My end goal is to be able to have my ASUS router as the main router of the network (usually in a home network there is one router and multiple switches/access points anyways). Since the fios gateway + router is ahead in the line, it currently has the privilege, but I am trying to fix that.

    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Antoniopapp
    [link] [comments]

    How to connect Router to Modem via switch hub (PPPoE internet)

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:12 PM PDT

    I'm used to the typical fiber-->modem--->router setup, but my current place has cables through the walls and I'm not familiar with it. The ISP setup the modem to connect to a switch hub, which I assume connects to the wall outlets. Do i connect the router to the switch or in one of the wall outlets?

    Is there anything I neeed to change in the router? I usually just setup the PPPoE from there.

    edit: Here is the current setup

    walled ethernet ports<------->switch hub<------->Modem<----->fiber optic cable

    Where does my router come in? I would like to connect it to the walled ethernet ports, is that possible in this scenario? If so do I connect it through the WAN port or the ethernet port?

    submitted by /u/espadrillies
    [link] [comments]

    Netgear EX7000 (New) Mesh Network Question

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 07:04 PM PDT

    My question is how can I turn my EX7000 into a mesh network.

    At first this was not possible, but in the latest driver update that came out 5 days ago, 802.11k smart-switching and the mesh network feature were added. I updated the extender and made sure that it had the latest firmware, but afterwards, I could not find a feature for enabling the mesh network in the GUI. How can I utilize this new feature for my extender? (Also, I am using my node as an access point, so when I figure out how to enable the mesh network, will it work while being an access point, as in connected by ethernet? I am mostly using this so the SSID is the same, and my non techsavy people living in my house can easily switch access points without knowing) Thanks!

    If there is anymore information that you need in order to help me find a solution, feel free to ask :)

    submitted by /u/Antoniopapp
    [link] [comments]

    Nighthawk router question

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:53 PM PDT

    I've recently setup a Nighthawk R7000P

    And want to restrict youtube on 2 devices specifically, on my network. Can i do so with the stock firmware? If so, how? Or do i need to flash it with custom firmware and if so, once flashed, how so?

    submitted by /u/91sicx
    [link] [comments]

    Duplicate TCP and UDP netstat list

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:48 PM PDT

    This may not be the proper forum for this. When I execute Netstat -anon I get duplicate lists of TCP and UDP. The duplicate has [::] for ip. I was told that my network was hacked and somebody is listening on my network. Is it true? If it is how can resolve it?

    The following is a partial list:

    Active Connections

    Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID

    TCP 0.0.0.0:1350.0.0.0:0LISTENING 880

    TCP 0.0.0.0:4450.0.0.0:0LISTENING 4

    TCP 0.0.0.0:5540.0.0.0:0LISTENING 5032

    TCP 0.0.0.0:28690.0.0.0:0LISTENING 4

    TCP 0.0.0.0:53570.0.0.0:0LISTENING 4

    TCP 0.0.0.0:66460.0.0.0:0LISTENING 2080

    TCP [::]:135 [::]:0 LISTENING 880

    TCP [::]:445 [::]:0 LISTENING 4

    TCP [::]:554 [::]:0 LISTENING 5032

    TCP [::]:2869 [::]:0 LISTENING 4

    TCP [::]:5357 [::]:0 LISTENING 4

    TCP [::]:10243 [::]:0 LISTENING 4

    UDP 0.0.0.0:500*:* 348

    UDP 0.0.0.0:3702*:* 2000

    UDP 0.0.0.0:3702*:* 112

    UDP 0.0.0.0:3702*:* 2000

    UDP [::]:500 *:* 348

    UDP [::]:3702 *:* 112

    UDP [::]:3702 *:* 112

    UDP [::]:3702 *:* 2000

    submitted by /u/ln8261024
    [link] [comments]

    Archer C7 as Access Point

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:31 PM PDT

    So recently I bought the TP-Link Archer C7 from Amazon and I turned it into an access point for the rest of my house. Originally I thought I'd have a separate network in my office but decided not to. I've had it for about a week all set up but today I noticed I was loosing WiFi strength. I updated the firmware and restarted the router but I'm worried this could only be a temporary fix. Nothing has changed in the past week so I'm curious as to why this would start and how I can prevent it from happening again. I've changed the SSID of the access point to match the main routers so I can coat the whole house in one WiFi signal.

    submitted by /u/Madborre
    [link] [comments]

    Fios Network adapter for PS4?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:17 PM PDT

    My room with my PS4 doesn't have an outlet for Ethernet and I wanted to have a wired connection or as close to it as possible. I am aware I could possibly try an extender or power line adapters but I think something connected with a coax cable and an Ethernet cable will give much faster speed I assume.

    I want to know if using a Network Adapter will work and if there are any other brands of Network adapters like the Fios one that are cheaper and just as good.

    submitted by /u/nickgentz
    [link] [comments]

    How can I extend my network to a detached garage

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 06:10 PM PDT

    Hi all. Let me start by saying I am pretty basic with my knowledge of home networking. Aside from provider to modem to router to one maybe two hardwired devices and the rest wifi that is the extent I have built a network lol. Going to be moving into a new house and want a more legit setup with lots of ethernet and a switch thrown into the mix. My real question is I will have a detached garage that I want my network to extend to. What would be the best way to do this. The garage is maybe 30-40 feet from the house and I don't see a way to run ethernet cable from the house to the garage. I was thinking using an AP but I do not know if that is something I can use for my application. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/MatteBlackLI
    [link] [comments]

    I have two network cards configured for two seperate networks. How does my pc know where to send traffic?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:55 PM PDT

    Adapter 1 is connected to a switch I am setting up on network a, and wireless adapter is on network b, which is giving me internet.

    I manually configured my first adapter to be in the same network as the switch, and is using the switch as its gateway. I enter the switches address into the browser, and I can hit the GUI.

    The other network I am on, is NOT set up to share this first one at all. I can get onto the internet fine (as I am able to make this post!), browse the rest of the network etc.

    Who, what or how is allowing my browser to know when I hit 192.168.1.99 I want to go to the switch on adapter 1, and how does it know when I type in 192.168.11.254 to go the switch on my second network?

    What is allowing me to traverse two networks at once, with no issues?

    submitted by /u/oldschooldaw
    [link] [comments]

    Dead Zone In Newly-Built Studio/Mancave - What's The Best Way to Resolve This?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 10:24 AM PDT

    Hi all!

    I was wondering if I could get some advice on my current setup/situation. I'm not sure where to start, so I'll kind of just note everything I think may be relevant:

    • We have AT&T get roughly 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up

    • Our house is roughly 1500 SqFt. and after buying an ASUS RT-AC68U router, we get a good connection/speed throughout the house and garage

    • We turned a pile of foundation into a back patio and are in the late stages of putting up a studio/mancave there as well

    • The mancave will mainly be used to play video games both off and online and stream shows/movies

    • I've included a pic HERE because this next part may need a visual guide. While connected on my iPhone and using the SpeedTest, I found that;

    1. When we're in the house, we get the ~30down/5up.
    2. If I exit the house and go into the garage, I get ~30down/5up.
    3. If I exit the house and go straight to the back fence, which is about 90-120ft from the router, I get ~30down/5up.
    4. If I go about 20ft to the right where the newly-built studio is, and a bit around the corner of the house and a tree, I get ~1down/.5up

    What would be the best solution to resolve this? These were the options I could think of;

    • Upgrade our internet speed to the next level or 2, however, because the speed just kind of drops, my worry would be that even the increase wouldn't bring it back up to "normal" speeds

    • Unfortunately we're unable to move the modem, but should I move the router, to the garage (or outside of it) for example? Going this route seems the most logical to get a better angle to the studio, but this would turn the router into a Repeater and the strength would be halved (from my understanding)...which is still better than practically none I guess hah. I could supplement that by then increasing our internet plan to the next level.

    • Should I get an additional ASUS RT-AC68U or swap my current router out for the Google Wifi pod things and go with a Mesh Network (1 in the living room, 1 in the back bedroom, and 1 in the studio/mancave), or would it be a similar to the above solution?

    • We could also check if AT&T could route a cable and/or another modem to the studio/mancave

    • Or is there another, better option that I'm not thinking of? If there isn't, what seems like the best choice from the listed above?

    Sorry, didn't mean to make this so long, but I appreciate any advice here!

    TL;DR - After getting new router, strength and connection is great around house, except for in the newly-built studio in the back; need advice on the best route to resolve

    submitted by /u/SomeGuyNamedKais
    [link] [comments]

    Remotely control/access my home Mac (when it's on VPN)

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 08:43 AM PDT

    I have a Mac Mini that is wired to my Asus router running Asuswrt-Merlin.

    Today I access my home Mac from my office PC, iPad using RealVNC/VNC Viewer for different purposes like admin different functions on my home network, this works fine for me today and is simple. I connect remotely thru a DDNS address.

    Now I would like this Mac to connect to a VPN service (I currently use Astrill VPN), for the reason of a new service I would like to install (IPTV). The VPN can be setup on the router using an Astrill applet or using the Astrill Mac App.

    Any advice how can I solve this:

    A) Is there a way to configure the network/VPN so I can still remotely connect to my Mac even when it's on VPN?

    B) Maybe there is a possibility to remotely deactivate the VPN when I need the access? I have Home Assistant (that I can access remotely) running in Docker container on a QNAP NAS.

    C) The QNAP NAS will not be on VPN, maybe there is a way to "bounce back" using that box?

    D) Any other ideas?

    Thanks in advance and I hope I have given enough info...

    submitted by /u/nikno1
    [link] [comments]

    Apple Airport Express 5GHz Setup?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 01:38 PM PDT

    Apologies if asked and answered - didn't find an exact answer in search. Also slowly understanding all these components

    I recently upgraded our internet to the "up to 150Mpbs" level. I was using a 200 Series Surfboard modem. But I kept getting emails and voicemails from Xfinity saying my current modem couldn't deliver my new speeds. So I upgraded to a Netgear CM700. Ethernet speedtest on the Surfboard was around 60Mpbs. On the CM700 I got up to around 90Mpbs.

    So I wanted to see how my wireless speeds increased but they've been steady at about 60Mpbs on either modem...I have an Airport Express and everything was set on Automatic but I kept reading about making sure I was on the 5GHz channel (even though if I understand correctly my devices should automatically chose the better - presumably 5GHz - channel). So I (think I did it right) created a separate 5GHz network and switched some devices over to it but they're still getting around 60Mpbs

    Is that the best I can expect from my wireless? Is there something I can do to increase speeds since I have new service and new modem? We do live in a heavily congested apartment complex so I've tried switching to "better" channels according to my scan

    Here is a screenshot of my wireless network scan (my 2.4 and 5GHz networks highlighted)

    submitted by /u/thecraigfm
    [link] [comments]

    How can I block or attenuate wifi signal on a ceiling mounted AP from reaching the above floor? Can I simply put some metal mesh or material above it?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:18 PM PDT

    Can I simply put some metal mesh or material above it? If so, what product, or just foil? Will this cause problems for the clients on the same floor below the AP and in surrounding area? The power level for 5GHz is already set low-medium and I don't want to go any lower.

    submitted by /u/jjt3hii
    [link] [comments]

    Make all SSIDs the same or make some other changes?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2018 05:18 PM PDT

    I currently have the following setup in my home which is longer than is wide and is only one storey:

    • D-Link DSL-2888A (placed at the back of the house where the living room is)
    • D-Link DAP-2610 (connected to the 2888A with a powerline adapter and is in the kitchen in the middle of the house)
    • D-Link DAP-1650 (in repeater mode at the front of the house)

    All three D-Links have wireless access points for both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz.

    Am I better off either making one SSID for the house, making one SSID for 2.4GH and one for 5GHz -or- move the DAP-2610 due to being enterprise grade and have that as my sole access point?

    The I live with 4 other people and there are a few laptops that only have 2.4GHz, a first gen ChromeCast and a WeMo switch that I am worried about slowing down the network.

    submitted by /u/Carduceus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Beauty

    Travel